Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The garden shed, Temple of Manliness?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sparks wrote: »
    Blitz, it sounds as though thou art in that state of grace where thy SheWhoMustBeObeyed is not a pathological tidyier. Sadly, the great schism between the bretheren of the Shed (and their brothers in the bretheren of the Garage) and the SWMBO sisterhood is often said to be defined in the sacrament of tidying; for is it not said in Scripture that that which is tidied by Woman can never be found when you want to Put Your Hand To It; whilst that which is tidied by Man invariably leads to misunderstanding of the System by Woman, who holds the heretical belief that the system Looks Like A Bomb Hit It?

This highlights why SWMBO is never ever allowed into the shed. The moment she puts foot into the shed then the Shed becomes a Should.
    "That should go there and this should go over there" sez she as she wreaks havoc in what was yore shed, rearranging hiding and losing things of importance.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Sparks wrote: »
    Some are indeed flimsy and not worthy of much adoration, yet woe betide he who judges all sheds by the standards of the lowliest wooden temple, for he has not yet seen the magnificent heights that the shed can attain:

image4931.jpg

That shed is feminine. Glass ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not feminine. Finnish. And I know, it's not the holiest of holies, but it is what a brother of the Shed needs in order to store his tools and workbench while he constructs the cathedral that is the home-made shed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Gentlemen...may i enter into the Holiest of Holy's another worthy contender for Temple of Manliness....

the Humble darkroom!

dark.jpg

it has several merits....

1) under no circumstances can anyone enter when the red light is on!
    this is a humble method of keeping the wimmin's out otherwise they risk destroying that confo photo of little billy,perfect for your hours spent looking at ex birds on facebook...

2)it has a manly chemical stench
    this will also scare away women/childer etc...

3)if you stop off on the way home from work and get some instant prints done,you can then spend the whole following day "printing" i.e reading the paper/scratching yourself etc! and she'll never know...

4) when you emerge from your lair with said prints of the childer the hours you have spent "working away" will not be held against you (in the same manner as fixing a car will) by the wifey, infact she'll probably make Dinner...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Behold the Temple of Manliness that is my Dad's shed

001_2.jpg

Ignore the mountain of crap my Mum has put around it to hide it

Inside it is an aladdin's cave of stuff

002_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

While it is an impressive ediface, I fear it cannot be recognised as a shed, garden or otherwise, without some clarification.

There is a lot of flowers about it, it has an alarm box ... and it does look rather like an aircraft hanger.

The interior shot is somewhat reassuring, though the light is decidedly industrial, and there are rather more soft furnishings and clothes horses for my tastes. The power tools bolted to the bench are impressive, in fairness.

I do like the petrol canister balanced casually at the end of the shelf. Said shelf is about 5 degrees off true, which is tolerable.

I must ask ... where is the comfy chair and the stereo ?

:cool:

Yes ...I am a jealous ... I'd love a great big shed like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That's not a shed ,it's a frigging warehouse :D

looks like one from outside but probably much smaller inside

would love junk storage space like that

Also noted the alarm.
    Also noted the much needed bench grind stone.
    Am attempting to note the exact location of said shed (barn).

Not impressed with prescence of an exercise machine or by the attempt to hide it by disguising it as a glove stand. One wonders if in fact this came out of the son's bedroom?
    'fess up Recliner, is that yore exercising machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

OldGoat wrote: »
    Not impressed with prescence of an exercise machine or by the attempt to hide it by disguising it as a glove stand.

Hmmm ... you seem to know a lot about exercise machines ... don't you :cool:
    ... 'fess up Recliner, is that yore exercising machine?

Ooh! *reaches for popcorn*

trout wrote: »
    Hmmm ... you seem to know a lot about exercise machines ... don't you :cool:
    I got hornswoggled by a deceitful wimminz who got me into one of those machines by telling me that the contraption was actually a jetpack prototype and I was needed to help with the re-design. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

trout wrote: »
    While it is an impressive ediface, I fear it cannot be recognised as a shed, garden or otherwise, without some clarification.

There is a lot of flowers about it, it has an alarm box ... and it does look rather like an aircraft hanger.

The flowers are outside of the shed, sadly the wimmins (or Mum as I call her) have dominion here
    The interior shot is somewhat reassuring, though the light is decidedly industrial,

That is actually a window, for a brief moment today the sun made a rare appearence in the West while I was taking the photo

I must ask ... where is the comfy chair and the stereo ?

:cool:

I have only shown about a third of the interior, the stereo and the chair are on the other side of the shed
    Latchy wrote: »
    That's not a shed ,it's a frigging warehouse :D

looks like one from outside but probably much smaller inside

Nope it is frigging huge
    Not impressed with prescence of an exercise machine or by the attempt to hide it by disguising it as a glove stand. One wonders if in fact this came out of the son's bedroom?
    'fess up Recliner, is that yore exercising machine?

If it was mine do you not think I would have made some attempt to hide it before taking the photo, I wouldn't know what to do with something like that, too many arms and legs on it for it to be trustworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Nice shed Mr. Recliner,
    However some concerns:
    too new,
    too bright,
    not enough sharp, rusty, spikey things hanging from the roof,
    no sign of wildlife,
    no sign of smoke or fire,
    The straw hat is not torn or has no holes,

so thats where my hayseed barrow got to.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If it was mine do you not think I would have made some attempt to hide it before taking the photo

You did. You stuck a glove over one of the sticky up bits to make it look like half a scarecrow or something:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

For me the essence of a shed should be that
    some large,heavy engine parts/petrol mower or similar
    should require removal from the shed to gain entry,
    at the very least it should involve the climbing
    over some large planks etc

a shed were you can just walk in is,in my opinion
    not a deterent enough for the wimnins.

Advertisement