Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charged 30 quid to change a headlamp bulb!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

how long did it take them? If it was awkward and it took them say a half hour then its fair enough. Their labour rate could be anything from 60-100 an hour. I see no difference in a mechanic working on a clutch bs opposed to a bulb

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

^^ about 10 minutes.
    I don't think it was an hourly rate cut down to 10 minutes charge. From what I saw on the invoice, only a quick glance mind, it looked like
    Misc Labour: 18
    or something like that.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

the charge was € 30 inc VAT 12 for the bulb + 18 for labour, take the VAT out and you were being charged € 15.85 + vat labour, most garages the mechanics have to account for every hour of the working day and lowest amount of time they will charge for a job is 15 minutes.

now by the time the mechanic opens the bonnet, removes the headlight bulb, walks to the parts department counter, waits to get served by the parts guy, walks back to your car, fits the bulb, checks the light is working and closes the bonnet, then fills out the job card will take the best part of 10-15 minutes,

€ 15.85 for 15 minutes work, thats a labour rate of around € 63 hour which is not out of the way for a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Alzar wrote: »
    Believe it or not, as the bulb was being changed, I was talking to one of the salesmen about a 06 320D & the cost to change etc.

There you go! A sale lost for the sake of a few greedy Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

It used to take me about 30 - 45 mins to change the wifes accords front fog lights, that was only one side. They were located after the wheel arch and you had to practically remove the tyre, then the plastic wheel arch cover (blots etc!!?) then you had to reach in and blindly find where the bulb was and remove, and replace.. then put everything back on again, I used to go mental at her for using those lights when not needed.. :rolleyes:

I think service depts are going crazy at the moment with costs, they are the main revenue in some garages at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

just my own opinion but I don't see the problem.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever how to change a headlight in my car, and I don't care how its done.

So if I need one changed I go and get a professional to do it, and that professional chanrges me a fee.

In this day an age no one can charge a fiver or a tenner for a job and survive in business. Its just not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

You wanna try it on the current corsa model. The airfilter and fuse box covers both need to come off just to get access. Unless you have tiny hands you will end up with cut knuckles and you are working almost totally bind.... I know i changed bulbs recently for some osram nightbreakers. Took almost 45 mins :o
    Still wouldn't have paid €30 for it thou....Even halfords refused to do when I initially asked

Same for a 9-3 on the passenger side you have to removed the battery cover, fuse box cover, and the intake for the washer bottle. Can take 5 - 10 mins to do the drivers side but the passenger side is a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

betafrog wrote: »
    Errmmm.... I don't know but I have heard of BMW charging upwards of €250 to replace A Xenon light in a Mini.

*Swoons*....

*Rewakes* may have to risk death so.

*Swoons again*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Xenon bulbs can explode is that not why it is not advised to change them youself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

€18 for approx 15 mins labour = €72 an hour .... seems quite reasonable to me

BTW OP seeing as your in IT did you try turning it off and on again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

.....BTW OP seeing as your in IT did you try turning it off and on again

Doh! forgot that one :D

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BTW OP seeing as your in IT did you try turning it off and on again

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

anyone who's ever tried to change a pair of headlight bulbs in a primera would happily pay someone else to do it, they're a bit of a cvnt to do. one is pretty easy, but you'd need opposable wrists to do the other one yourself. :(

when i had my primera i used to buy the bulbs in halfords specifically cos i knew they'd fit them for me for a couple of quid extra and they'd be the ones with the scuffed knuckles, not me. :D

i've a mk2 pajero now and they're a piece of cake, barely 2-3 minutes a side and no tools required, so i do it myself.

Advertisement