Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Charged 30 quid to change a headlamp bulb!

Options
  • 28-07-2009 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

So, here we go.....bit of a rant,sorry!

This morning I noticed one of the headlight bulbs had popped on the car. It was the drivers side bulb & it is a bit of a pain to change.

Drove to work, went to the dealer at lunchtime to get them to supply & fit one H7 bulb. They did the job, I went to pay & was charged €30....approx €18 inc VAT for labour & €12 for the bulb.

WTF!!! I politlely said to the service manager, 30 'effin yo-yo's to replace a bulb?? You charged me less than 15 quid to do it the last time. What's changed? Standard charge, he said.

Told him he could take out the bulb. I wasn't paying €30 for a bulb worth less than a ten spot. He did! :D

Went back home, over to my local dealer, bought the bulb & replaced it myself tonight. Before you ask, why didn't i do it at lunchtime. Simple answer, had the working dud's on.....white shirt, suit etc. Didn't fancy putting them into a dirty engine bay.

I am raving or is it really 30 quid to supply & fit a headlight bulb?
    FWIW, car is an 06 Primera.

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Come on, going to a main dealer to change a bulb is just asking for a wallet rape. Even if it was €15 i'm dam sure i wouldn't pay it, white shirt or not, its not a dirty job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

They obviously have big glass windows in that dealership.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Afraid they seen ya coming....live and learn. If any thing else go's

on your car, think twice before you knock on their door. Everyone

gets stung now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I don't think 30 was over the top including the bulb, some can take a good 15mins to change. I've heard of Renaults costing €200 as it's a remove wheel and/or bumper job to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Man in suit walks into dealership and asks them to change a bulb = 30 second job and bulb itself probably only costs €4-5 retail.

To be fair I would cream you for all your money as well.

I have some magic beans here........................................ interested. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Senna wrote: »
    Come on, going to a main dealer to change a bulb is just asking for a wallet rape. Even if it was €15 i'm dam sure i wouldn't pay it, white shirt or not, its not a dirty job.

It is when you are meeting with the head honcho's of your company later that afternoon :D:D:D
    I normally buy a bulb & swop it myself. Have done on all my previous cars.
    Only went to dealer to fit it
    1. Because of the meeting & 2. The weather is so crap at the moment, I'm driving more & more with my dipped lights on, so I wanted it replaced as soon as I could get it done.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How much did you pay for the bulb yourself? 7,8,10 Euro. They charged you 20 Euro to fit it. Now as main dealers go, Ive heard worse.
    Yes its too much to fit a bulb if its a stright forward fit as Im sure it is on your car or else you would have been looking at a 100 euro bill. That would have been fun cause it would have been another 100 to take it out again if it was an awkward car.

Are you a QS by any chance? Just get that tone from your post!

mickdw wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the bulb yourself? 7,8,10 Euro. They charged you 20 Euro to fit it. Now as main dealers go, Ive heard worse.
    Yes its too much to fit a bulb if its a stright forward fit as Im sure it is on your car or else you would have been looking at a 100 euro bill. That would have been fun cause it would have been another 100 to take it out again if it was an awkward car.

Are you a QS by any chance? Just get that tone from your post!

Tenner inc VAT for the bulb at my local dealer.

Showing my ignorance here, but QS...who or what is that???

Al.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I wouldn't pay €15, let alone €30 man. Highway robbery. Ask him to send out one of the apprentices to answer a question for you, give him a fiver to do it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think if you buy one in halfords they'll fit it for a reasonable(ish) price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

main dealer/stealer what ya expect..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Alzar wrote: »
    Tenner inc VAT for the bulb at my local dealer.

Showing my ignorance here, but QS...who or what is that???

Al.

It was a bit of a joke but 'quantity surveyor'. They do tend to want everything done asap, dont like paying for anything and usually say something like "could do that myself if I had the time" so dont really want to pay for it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

By and large it is not a difficult process to fit a bulb and my impression of the OPs situation meant that they could have done it after the meeting - they just didn't want to (and I have worked on my car whilst dressed as shirt & tie guy!).
    Anyhow, would you walk into a dixons and order the big TV in the corner and only ask the price once they deliver it to your home? FFS is it any wonder this country is fecked when people don't feel the need to query prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

This morning I noticed one of the headlight bulbs had popped on the car. It was the drivers side bulb & it is a bit of a pain to change.

Drove to work, went to the dealer at lunchtime to get them to supply & fit one H7 bulb. They did the job, I went to pay & was charged €30....approx €18 inc VAT for labour & €12 for the bulb.

WTF!!! I politlely said to the service manager, 30 'effin yo-yo's to replace a bulb?? You charged me less than 15 quid to do it the last time. What's changed? Standard charge, he said.

Told him he could take out the bulb. I wasn't paying €30 for a bulb worth less than a ten spot. He did! :D

Went back home, over to my local dealer, bought the bulb & replaced it myself tonight. Before you ask, why didn't i do it at lunchtime. Simple answer, had the working dud's on.....white shirt, suit etc. Didn't fancy putting them into a dirty engine bay.

Al.[/QUOTE Fair play to you for taking a stand and not accepting this rip off,a lot of people would just pay the money and say nothing..:cool:

mickdw wrote: »
    It was a bit of a joke but 'quantity surveyor'. They do tend to want everything done asap, dont like paying for anything and usually say something like "could do that myself if I had the time" so dont really want to pay for it.

Ahh. gotcha. Nope not a QS, work in IT, so I'm probably just as bad. :D;)

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I might have done the same as the OP, with one small difference...

I would have asked the price first.
    Then I could make an informed decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

P.C. wrote: »
    I would have asked the price first.
    Then I could make an informed decision.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

What lessons have been learned from this?

Do it yourself in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I know people won't agree with me but i don't see its rip off. You go to a five star hotel and ask for a coffee that you can make at home yourself and say it rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Well done to the op, I usually change the bulb myself but last time i got it done was at a petrol station for less than ten euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Was the dealer out to make as much money from you as possible ... YES

Was he ripping you off, IMO.... NO

You wouldn't let an electrician into your house to do a job without getting a price first... or since you are in IT, wouldn't go into a shop and pick up a laptop to buy without first checking the price against the specs, to make sure you are getting good deal.

So why on gods earth, would you hand a car over to someone, ask them to do some work on it, without asking for a price up front??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

€30.00 is a bit much :confused:

My wife took our BMW in to a main dealer to have a bulb changed and they charged her €1.00.

That was a couple of months ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Pretty sure Mrs. R.O.R was charged about €25 to get a H7 fitted in Advance a couple of months ago :eek:

What makes it worse is that we have loads of H7's here in work (i.e. free to me) and I know how to change the bulb in her car. It's a V50 and you have to pull a pin which secures the headlight unit so it's fairly difficult to explain how to do it.

She needed it done as she was off somewhere and it was p1ssing it down so she couldn't wait. At least now she knows how to do it so can pick up a cheap H7 and do it herself next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

In case anyone is looking for Headlamp bulbs, lidl had some last week a pair for 6 quid! I picked up h7's but they had a variety. Might still be some left if ye hurry.

Quality is also spot on have a set in the car at the moment for over a year and they havent blown yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think the OP was dead right to go to the dealer, AND I think he was dead right to get them to take the bulb out! However, I would have thought if the dealer had any brains he would have charged him for the bulb only, changed it for nothing and asked him if he had ten minutes to talk about maybe changing the car or getting something for the wife. At least have a look at the new stock of cars in while the bulb was being changed. You never know, the he could have got Alzar thinking about the smell of a new car and, Alzar would have confidence in then, "sure they changed the bulbs for nothing! Great bunch, I trust them"...

Has a few years of good business killed the art of sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Al.

Fair play to ya for complaining to him. We should all take a leaf out of your book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Senna wrote: »

You wanna try it on the current corsa model. The airfilter and fuse box covers both need to come off just to get access. Unless you have tiny hands you will end up with cut knuckles and you are working almost totally bind.... I know i changed bulbs recently for some osram nightbreakers. Took almost 45 mins :o
    Still wouldn't have paid €30 for it thou....Even halfords refused to do when I initially asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Would people change Xenon head light bulbs themselves?

lightening wrote: »
    I think the OP was dead right to go to the dealer, AND I think he was dead right to get them to take the bulb out! However, I would have thought if the dealer had any brains he would have charged him for the bulb only, changed it for nothing and asked him if he had ten minutes to talk about maybe changing the car or getting something for the wife. At least have a look at the new stock of cars in while the bulb was being changed. You never know, the he could have got Alzar thinking about the smell of a new car and, Alzar would have confidence in then, "sure they changed the bulbs for nothing! Great bunch, I trust them"...

Has a few years of good business killed the art of sales?

Believe it or not, as the bulb was being changed, I was talking to one of the salesmen about a 06 320D & the cost to change etc.

Don't think so now. Pity, t'was a nice bus too :(

Al.

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »
    .....So why on gods earth, would you hand a car over to someone, ask them to do some work on it, without asking for a price up front??? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

TBH, I wasn't looking for it to be done for nothing...I wouldn't expect ANYONE to work for nothing.
    Everyone has to make money, thats business. I know that.

It's the fact of charging 18 euro to fit the bulb that pi$$ed me off. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't think that's a fair charge.

Al.

Advertisement