Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How not to park!

Options
  • 27-07-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Rathfarnham Shopping Centre last Saturday. She hit the accelerator instead of the brake. No one hurt!

967B277080144BD392FB1D6C74B7F4F3-800.jpg

23BFC216CDCA489B80463ABFB9BC6797-800.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

That must be a woman. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

wow.

just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

My oh My!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Leprechaun77

no doubt the statistics will say that even though it was a woman involved, it was a low speed incident, and probably caused by a man, perhaps walking by on the footpath. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Would you want to live next to her? If you didn't have a driveway to park on you'd have to drive miles around the block to find a safe parking spot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

God how I hate parking in supermarket car parks. That one isn't so bad, but there's another one close by where the average age of drivers is 88 and sweet mother, the things I've seen.

Once a woman of almost incomprehensible decrepitude(she looked in her mid/late 80's and every single year was wlel marked in her, tiny, bent of spine and cataract of eye) drove up the footpath outside the supermarket while people scattered and two security guys were waving and shouting at her. She only stopped when she ran into a trolley bay. TBH I though she'd gone and died, but no, she struggles out of the car and starts screaming blue bloody murder at the security staff, complaining that they had "distracted her". Now at her age some doctor signed her off as fit to drive. Christ knows why.

Now I can well understand the elderly need cars nowadays with many local shops not so local, but bloody hell. Some need to be stopped. Others are fine though and a lot safer than younger types.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

no doubt the statistics will say that even though it was a woman involved, it was a low speed incident, and probably caused by a man, perhaps walking by on the footpath. :D

Who drives a low powered hatchback, is between the ages of 17-25 and has lost every girlfriend he has ever had in a series of bizarre motoring accidents all caused by him? Sounds about right...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Very similar to the woman who drove down the steps in the multistorey in Charleville Co Cork. She thought it was the ramp down. They have since put up barriers.
    mayo+car+3.jpg

I hate that car park in Rathfarnham. Its hard to get in and out and find a space but HOW do you get the brake and accelerator mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

^^^ I was just thinking about that one in Charleville when I saw the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Note to self .. Do not visit that carpark....!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Berty wrote: »

I hate that car park in Rathfarnham. Its hard to get in and out and find a space
    Agreed.
    but HOW do you get the brake and accelerator mixed up?
    The only possible excuse would be if you were driving a 30's blower bentley(throttle in the middle). In which case it would have taken out the wall and the house in front. Well mistakes do happen, but you would think that someone would react quicker. She must have mashed it to the floor.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

She must really have floored it to end up there - so that begs the question - why was she braking so hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Must've been Joe Duffy's mate......:pac:
    Imagine your child was walking in front of that car......:(

dudara wrote: »
    She must really have floored it to end up there - so that begs the question - why was she braking so hard?

Maybe she(?) thought it was an exit :confused::confused:......

The car does not seem aligned with the parking spot, so this may indicate she was not trying to park....then again, there's not many women who do get the car between the lines first go I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭upthedub

Women..they belong in the kitchen thats all !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Read in yesterdays paper, she thought the car was in reverse but it was in 4th gear. Foot to the floor and away with ya :D

ronaneire wrote: »
    Read in yesterdays paper, she thought the car was in reverse but it was in 4th gear. Foot to the floor and away with ya :D

If she thought the car was in reverse, you could assume the car was stationary (ish). If so, and the car was actually in 4th gear, it would not have had any acceleration and probably would have stalled.

I would love to see the claim form on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The RSA can stick that one up there ar*e. I'd like to start an advertising campaign pointing out the hazards in car parks caused by a massive majority of women drivers.

See how they like their smug ad now. B*stards.

In the last house I lived in the woman next door ploughed straight into her front door....after first mounting the wall dividing the houses. Same excuse IIRC that she confused the stop and go pedal. It couldnt be easier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dangerus06

well at least she got it between the lines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If so, and the car was actually in 4th gear, it would not have had any acceleration and probably would have stalled.
    The mighty 1.9 T-diddly-I has the torque to pull oil tankers, so pulling away in 4th gear wouldn't be a problem. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

JHMEG wrote: »
    The mighty 1.9 T-diddly-I has the torque to pull oil tankers, so pulling away in 4th gear wouldn't be a problem. ;)

Its a 1.8T petrol.

See the single exhaust. TDi's have a twin pipe.

Ehhhhh!!!! It is Rathfarnham. Doubt its a dayzal. 1.6 or 2.0 more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I live near there!

donvito99 wrote: »
    I live near there!

I like oranges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dudara wrote: »
    ronaneire wrote: »
    You'd need a serious amount of power to get the car over that 8 inch piece of the wall that's sticking up.

My guess is that she left it in 2nd gear when she parked. When she came back to the car, she put her accelerator to the floor instead of her brake, and when the engine started, it roared into life, she got a fright and lifted her left foot, firing the car over the wall.

Easy to see it happening.

seamus wrote: »

Easy to see it happening.

Is the name Seamus just a decoy...Are you really a woman? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Berty wrote: »
    Very similar to the woman who drove down the steps in the multistorey in Charleville Co Cork. She thought it was the ramp down. They have since put up barriers.
    mayo+car+3.jpg

I hate that car park in Rathfarnham. Its hard to get in and out and find a space but HOW do you get the brake and accelerator mixed up?

Did anyone see Top Gear last night, Brian Johnson (Ac-Dc) used to drive a car that had the accelerator in the middle. I can't remember what car it was, but it was from the 20's or 30's, and was not an audi or peugeot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Wibbs wrote: »
    .....The only possible excuse would be if you were driving a 30's blower bentley(throttle in the middle)........

...indeed, why is why the Wehrmacht came up with this solution, in the '30's....ahem.

Time to revive that practice ??

501876450_5tGtT-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

SHE parks..... he runs!

Advertisement