Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

michael mcmullen leaving todayfm

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mwoiiiiiiiceal MacccMulllllllllen has a great accent. I love the accent :D

I remember a woman who did impressions rang in to Ray years ago, and of course she had to do her "Hoi, moi name is Moichael MACKMullen"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

redoctober wrote: »
    I didn't get to listen to all the premier league coverage this season so far but noticed the weekend before his death that there was no phone in either. Hence the question.

Ah I didn't realise that - I used to like the Phone in part of the show, especially when they kept Brian Kerr on to chat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

robo wrote: »
    Ah I didn't realise that - I used to like the Phone in part of the show, especially when they kept Brian Kerr on to chat too.
    yeah I thought it was a good segment. That's why I'm wondering did they cancel it prior to Lyons's death and if so why. Didn't seem to be on the weekend before as I remember turning over to get the phone in but was just music. Maybe Lyons had to cancel last minute for some reason.

Despite his accent I thought Michael did a good job on the phone in. I found Lyons a bit too tabloid as I posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Johnny Lyons was off work before his death due to a broken ankle I believe, but you'd imagine they'd have someone just fill in that first week and until he recovered if they were actually keeping the segment this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭redoctober

Johnny Lyons was off work before his death due to a broken ankle I believe, but you'd imagine they'd have someone just fill in that first week and until he recovered if they were actually keeping the segment this season.

Didn't know that. Would have thought so. Seemed to be a successful slot over the years. Maybe newstalk have eaten into it in recent times. There was a time it was the only place to get any sort of decent premier league coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Any idea who's replacing McMullan? I know Philip Egan was hosting Premier League Live on Saturday just gone but I haven't heard anything apart from that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Faugheen wrote: »
    Any idea who's replacing McMullan? I know Philip Egan was hosting Premier League Live on Saturday just gone but I haven't heard anything apart from that...

They advertised the job on Today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Where did Michael McMullan go to? Is he still in sports media?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

They advertised the job on Today FM.

I know that, I was wondering if they had filled it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KianG

Good riddance to a bad exaggerated accent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

GSF wrote: »
    Well he's got the accent but he's more of a soccer guy isn't he? I'd guess Setanta or Rte sport to do football probably

He's got the accent??? The accent of a begrudger who thinks that sounding as english as possible will bring him wealth and status and women and fame! And then practices this accent with spuds in his mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Where did Michael McMullan go to? Is he still in sports media?

He was doing the voice-over on champions league highlights after the match on TV3 last week, so I'm assuming he has joined their sports team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah I heard him doing the voice over on TV3's CL highlights package - a bit like the likes of Peter Collins does for RTE!
    Presumably he's joined TV3 then in advance of their Rugby WC coverage or perhaps he's in some freelance role. Either way his voice remains as irritating as ever - IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

A band called Noah and the Whale had a one hit wonder a few years ago. I always thought McMullen sounded totally like the lead singer. If only the lyrics contained the word "Ooooooooorrr-Sen-Al" we'd know for sure if they are the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭LeakyGee

BPKS wrote: »
    A band called Noah and the Whale had a one hit wonder a few years ago. I always thought McMullen sounded totally like the lead singer. If only the lyrics contained the word "Ooooooooorrr-Sen-Al" we'd know for sure if they are the same person.

hahahahaha.....

'Oh well in five years time we could be walking round a zoo
    With the sun shining down over me and you
    And there'll be love in the bodies of the elephants too
    And I'll put my hands over your eyes, but you'll peep through'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Does anybody know if Today FM do live commentary for the `12:45 game every week or is is it just when there's a big match on? I know they do one at 3pm but I see (or hear) that they're doing Arsenal V Chelsea at the moment. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Pighead wrote: »
    Does anybody know if Today FM do live commentary for the `12:45 game every week or is is it just when there's a big match on? I know they do one at 3pm but I see (or hear) that they're doing Arsenal V Chelsea at the moment. Thanks.

Only for big matches. I remember they even did 3 matches once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

teaching english as a foreign language

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I heard him doing the sport on TV3 5.30 news today.

Sorry if this has been answered, but is Moichal Mack Muulen any relayshun to Michelle Mack Muulen, the New-stalk neews-reeder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Sorry if this has been answered, but is Moichal Mack Muulen any relayshun to Michelle Mack Muulen, the New-stalk neews-reeder?

Their accents are certainly related anyway.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's Michelle McMulen and Michael McMullan and Michael McMullan is from Antrim whereas Michelle McMullen is from Dublin.

There isn't even the a remote relationship between their accents.

I don't know how to say this without being disparaging but it's only people who have thick accents themselves who have difficulty telling a neutral Dublin accent from a D4 accent. There isn't anyone on Irish radio with a D4 accent as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's Michelle McMulen and Michael McMullan and Michael McMullan is from Antrim whereas Michelle McMullen is from Dublin.

I don't know how to say this without being disparaging but it's only people who have thick accents themselves who have difficulty telling a neutral Dublin accent from a D4 accent. There isn't anyone on Irish radio with a D4 accent as far as I can tell.

Excuse me

miriam1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

As far as I know he may have been born in Antrim but has lived in Dublin since a young age.

I didn't spot the orthographical differences on the radio credits.

I'm not sure the D4 accent is an accent as much as it is a rising pitch intonation with a high-end terminal, which is assumed by individuals in various parts of the city.

I'm not sure how else to explain all the grandparents around Donnybrook and Sandymount who sound nothing like their grandchildren. Ascribing it to Dublin 4 is therefore problematic. I'd ascribe it to cable television, myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm not sure the D4 accent is an accent as much as it is a rising pitch intonation with a high-end terminal, which is assumed by individuals in various parts of the city.

I'm not sure how else to explain all the grandparents around Donnybrook and Sandymount who sound nothing like their grandchildren. Ascribing it to Dublin 4 is therefore problematic. I'd ascribe it to cable television, myself.

An awful lot of people in their 20's and younger seem to have picked up or more likely have started imitating American accents.

I've watched as much American TV as anyone and don't have any sign of one.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I don't propose delving too far into linguistic semantics but a D4 accent is still an accent whether it's been around for 20 or 200 years. I can sympathise with the fact that people find it irritating that something akin to a west coast US accent has developed amongst some people more generally in south County Dublin.

I agree that it isn't an accent that has anything to do with the location Dublin 4. It is just that the label D4 describes a particular accent prevalent amongst a proportion of the population - originating in south County Dublin.

My point is that the D4 accent is one thing and the neutral Dublin accent is another variation altogether but people with a neutral Dublin accent often get lumped in with having a D4 accent but they are quite different.

I can't stand over saying that no one on Irish radio has a D4 accent because I've thought of a few in the meantime. Michael McMullen's accent isn't D4 anyway. It isn't neutral either. I don't know where it's from but I've never heard anyone else with the same accent.

Advertisement