Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

MJohnston wrote: »
    But this is my point - there's no actual governmental importance assigned to DU, so it remains off the next 10-20 years worth of infrastructure plans. Additionally, the longer it fails to exist, and other changes in Dublin's infrastructure occur (such as MetroLink), the less important the project will become. Long story short - for me DU just doesn't seem anywhere near likely to happen in the next 20 years, and that is basically a death sentence for it.

Meanwhile, a prime 2600sqm site right beside one of the main rail stations in the city, in a high demand area near to both the city centre CBD and the Docklands, is now going to remain derelict forever because of this. (One thing I'll say is myopic - the height of that proposed office block, it should have been 9-10 stories).

And it's really disappointing that CIE couldn't sit down with the building planners and work out a way to incorporate plans for a DU station into that building's design (similar to how Mater hospital and parts of Dublin Airport were built to accommodate future MetroLink stations).
    If they are forced to terminate a line there, the site requirements will be larger than if a mere station box was to be built. Also worth noting the Dart Underground station boxes would be a lot bigger than anything envisiaged for the current and historical proposed metro schemes in Dublin.

I don't think Dart Underground will be made less useful by what MetroLink can offer, barring the indirect impact caused by the Airport Spur becoming less important. Along the route of MetroLink, there is not much land zoned residential but underdeveloped or undeveloped, compared to the commuter rail network (Leixlip north and Kishogue are two along Kildare and Maynooth lines for instance). With the ongoing pressure on housing in the GDA, solutions that enable new neighbourhoods etc. have to be prioritised more into the future.

There's nothing to say that MetroLink would somehow cannibalise DU's potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If they are forced to terminate a line there, the site requirements will be larger than if a mere station box was to be built. Also worth noting the Dart Underground station boxes would be a lot bigger than anything envisiaged for the current and historical proposed metro schemes in Dublin.

I don't think Dart Underground will be made less useful by what MetroLink can offer, barring the indirect impact caused by the Airport Spur becoming less important. Along the route of MetroLink, there is not much land zoned residential but underdeveloped or undeveloped, compared to the commuter rail network (Leixlip north and Kishogue are two along Kildare and Maynooth lines for instance). With the ongoing pressure on housing in the GDA, solutions that enable new neighbourhoods etc. have to be prioritised more into the future.

There's nothing to say that MetroLink would somehow cannibalise DU's potential.

MetroLink is unlikely to be the only change to transport infrastructure in Dublin in the next 20 years. The very nature of commuting is likely to dramatically change even without any additional transport services being built. But even just the planned existence of MetroLink is already reshaping the future of rail in the city - there's a lot more focus on 'working around' DU, like with the PPT shifting from being a curio to a legitimate functioning cog in the greater system, or with the plans for a big interchange at Glasnevin-Whitworth.

Personally I would love to see DU built, but I'm pragmatic enough to see that a project like that doesn't get pushed back by so many different governments, in a multitude of different economic environments, without being intrinsically toxic for some reason. Thus I just can't foresee any conditions under which it would somehow ever be funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

MJohnston wrote: »
    MetroLink is unlikely to be the only change to transport infrastructure in Dublin in the next 20 years. The very nature of commuting is likely to dramatically change even without any additional transport services being built. But even just the planned existence of MetroLink is already reshaping the future of rail in the city - there's a lot more focus on 'working around' DU, like with the PPT shifting from being a curio to a legitimate functioning cog in the greater system, or with the plans for a big interchange at Glasnevin-Whitworth.

Personally I would love to see DU built, but I'm pragmatic enough to see that a project like that doesn't get pushed back by so many different governments, in a multitude of different economic environments, without being intrinsically toxic for some reason. Thus I just can't foresee any conditions under which it would somehow ever be funded.
    The price tag is the biggest issue here - I suspect the objections from some East Wall residents were overblown and certainly are dwarfed by what Na Fianna turned into. I suspect the union issues surrounding CIÉ has permanently dirtied its bib. Also, the Greens and Social Democrats seem to be the most vocal about DU and its merits - it's not something that ever captured the imagination of the larger parties or the public at large, since the Luas was built between Heuston and Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The price tag is the biggest issue here - I suspect the objections from some East Wall residents were overblown and certainly are dwarfed by what Na Fianna turned into. I suspect the union issues surrounding CIÉ has permanently dirtied its bib. Also, the Greens and Social Democrats seem to be the most vocal about DU and its merits - it's not something that ever captured the imagination of the larger parties or the public at large, since the Luas was built between Heuston and Connolly.

I think price tag is certainly a general issue with most big infra projects, but I think there's something about CIE that has just added that extra bit of bad taste needed for DU to be lower priority than, well basically every other piece of public expenditure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

While I fully agree with the decision to block the development at Sandwith St, it pretty poor form that the company that owns the land will now get hit with a massive levy due to them not being able to develop it.

I'd hope that common sense will break out and the levy dropped on this site, otherwise I'd say that a lawsuit will be filed in short order.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CatInABox wrote: »
    While I fully agree with the decision to block the development at Sandwith St, it pretty poor form that the company that owns the land will now get hit with a massive levy due to them not being able to develop it.

I'd hope that common sense will break out and the levy dropped on this site, otherwise I'd say that a lawsuit will be filed in short order.

No, the site was bought in 2016 in full knowledge of the DU plan for the site. It was an opportune purchase to benefit from the CPO potential. They could avoid the levy by selling the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭roadmaster

With the amount of housing developments under way from nass,celbridge over to dunboyne and so on i hope the dart expansion is pushed quicker as we will see a proper transport crisis for the the Dublin region then

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We're seeing aproper transport crisis already. DU and Dart expansion are already 10-15 years too late.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

We're seeing aproper transport crisis already. DU and Dart expansion are already 10-15 years too late.
    And still at best 10-15 years away. Sad really, but not surprising in any way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

marno21 wrote: »
    And still at best 10-15 years away. Sad really, but not surprising in any way.

Realistically, how quickly could the dart expansion be up and running? Will it have to go through the same process as the Metrolink, with a public consultation, and then planning application?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Compare to whats coming down the road with the population growth in the GDA we are no where near as bad as it will get

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Realistically, how quickly could the dart expansion be up and running? Will it have to go through the same process as the Metrolink, with a public consultation, and then planning application?

It doesn't appear so, we're being told that Balbriggan DART extension will start in 2020 and I haven't seen any publication relating to it (I'm open to correction here).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well if the rumoured order of a large number of new hybrid trains by Irish Rail is true, then we could see a big increase in the number of trains serving these routes in the next 5 to 10 years.

While of course preferable to electrify these lines, the new trains should allow them to bring new service online quicker then needing to wait for design, planning and construction of electric wires and junction improvements would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

bk wrote: »
    Well if the rumoured order of a large number of new hybrid trains by Irish Rail is true, then we could see a big increase in the number of trains serving these routes in the next 5 to 10 years.

While of course preferable to electrify these lines, the new trains should allow them to bring new service online quicker then needing to wait for design, planning and construction of electric wires and junction improvements would take.

It is rather short term thinking though, especially considering we should be hoping to phase out Diesel/Petrol use by 2030/2040

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If they are buying new trains, they should be battery/electric.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Consonata wrote: »
    It is rather short term thinking though, especially considering we should be hoping to phase out Diesel/Petrol use by 2030/2040

Sorry perhaps your misunderstand what the term "hybrid" means here in relation to trains?

The better term is Bi-mode trains, these are electric trains that operate 100% off electricity where there are overhead electric wiring (i.e. like the DART), but can also run on Diesel where the wiring isn't installed yet. They can even transition between electric and diesel during a journey.

The idea being that these new trains can be rolled out within the next 4 to 5 years. They can covert to 100% electric running as the wiring is put in place over the next 10 to 20 years.

Seems like a good idea to me, only downside is that they are more costly then EMU's, but given how slow it is to rollout infrastructure here in Ireland, I think it maybe a wise decision, if a bit of a waste of money in the long term.

If they are buying new trains, they should be battery/electric.

That would be great, but dual mode battery electric trains aren't really a proven tech yet. There are a few prototypes around, but I'm not sure they are really good enough to cover the required distances yet.

Diesel/Electrics bi-modes would be the "safe" bet given that is what the UK is doing. So some easy buys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I imagine another benefit of the bi-mode would be a bit of added operational flexibility if in future Cork/Limerick/Galway areas got some level of electrification and there was a need to transfer some rolling stock? Probably not an immediate concern I admit....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Has there been any progress made on this ? I've not seeing anything official since February

• Registered Users Posts: 17,603 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nothing as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Has there been any progress made on this ? I've not seeing anything official since February

Progress? What does that word mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Progress? What does that word mean?

Progress usually means a new consultants report is about to be commissioned, about to be published or about to be discredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

worth noting that the BusConnects report say there will be a Dart every 10 minutes between Bray and Howth Jct (which we knew about) and every 20 minutes to Howth, Malahide and Greystones (which in the case of Greystones is new information).

loyatemu wrote: »
    worth noting that the BusConnects report say there will be a Dart every 10 minutes between Bray and Howth Jct (which we knew about) and every 20 minutes to Howth, Malahide and Greystones (which in the case of Greystones is new information).

It cannot be every 20 mins to Greystones - that’s far too tight without a passing loop, and would not allow for minimum turnaround times.

That has to be a typo.

It’ll still be every 30 mins I would safely say.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    It cannot be every 20 mins to Greystones - that’s far too tight without a passing loop, and would not allow for minimum turnaround times.

That has to be a typo.

I'd assume that they have some sort of plan for it, it's been a known problem for ages now. Perhaps they plan to build a passing loop in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

LXFlyer wrote: »

That has to be a typo.

local councillors met the NTA about BusConnects; the NTA said they have engineers looking into options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

local councillors met the NTA about BusConnects; the NTA said they have engineers looking into options.
    Hard to see what options exist that don't involve lots of rock blasting. You could maybe put in a passing loop about halfway around the head (here) but co-ordinating every train passing another here all day every day would seem a little challenging. Would there be measures they could take to increase protection on the existing line so that the speed limits can be increased to make 20 minute frequency possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bk wrote: »
    Consonata wrote: »

Sorry perhaps your misunderstand what the term "hybrid" means here in relation to trains?

The better term is Bi-mode trains, these are electric trains that operate 100% off electricity where there are overhead electric wiring (i.e. like the DART), but can also run on Diesel where the wiring isn't installed yet. They can even transition between electric and diesel during a journey.

The idea being that these new trains can be rolled out within the next 4 to 5 years. They can covert to 100% electric running as the wiring is put in place over the next 10 to 20 years.

Seems like a good idea to me, only downside is that they are more costly then EMU's, but given how slow it is to rollout infrastructure here in Ireland, I think it maybe a wise decision, if a bit of a waste of money in the long term.
    The battery will have degraded over 10-20 years to the point where it’s nit useable

Is it feasible to double track the portions of track either side of Bray Head and perhaps xper's solution above, although blasting there would be challenging and could do more harm to the alignment than good, aside from being very expensive.

• Advertisement

I'd assume that they have some sort of plan for it, it's been a known problem for ages now. Perhaps they plan to build a passing loop in there somewhere.

The chances of it happening in the timeframe that the BusConnects plan is supposed to be implemented are exceptionally slim.

At a minimum it would require a passing loop, the only location suitable for one being in the Redford area, nowhere else.

That's going to require a lot of infrastructural works, including resignalling, and the additional track workd. There has been no indication that any funding has been set aside for this. It's not something that can happen in a short timeframe.

I also think it would be very challenging operationally to maintain that level of frequency south of Bray as it would leave very little scope for recovery of late running services. With an intensively used single track you have to have redundancy built in to allow for this and it would be very tight.

Advertisement