Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does regeneration do for the rest of us?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Raiser wrote: »
    Irishvamp is fine to be honest - Irishvamp90 though, watch out for her, for she sows the seeds of anarchy and breeds the offspring of the very jaws of Hell.

- Lets just discuss what we like so long as people are interested and entertained? - It'd be da craic, honestly....

I was relatively interested and entertained 20 threads ago. I find it boring at this stage. Itsnotdacraic

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    I was relatively interested and entertained 20 threads ago. I find it boring at this stage. Itsnotdacraic

Well it is the commom theme of society where we MUST have somebody to point the finger at. It was always going to overflow onto boards.

Have you seen the other regional forums. Its the same everywhere.

Unfortunately people in general seem to be ignorant and assume everybody in those areas is in need of help, nobody works and they all have social housing, shoplift, etc etc

Do you remember when the girl from Moyross graduated as a member of the Gardai? There was raised eyebrows as to why she would want to be a Garda.

People forgot too easily that PEOPLE live in those areas, not just "those" people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

just to comment on what tom said so what is good parenting putting your kids in childcare from 8am till 6.30pm and then in bed for 7 five nights a week then use the excuse well i work for a liveing if you have kids at least one parent should stay at home and if you really have too only work part-time at the most,,,, at least the parents that push there kids places will have the respect later on in life from there kids,look at the kids who's both parents worked all there life they hate the world,with suicidal tendencies and never listen to they parents,,,,,and before i get smart comments i know social workers from all over the country and thats there professional opions okay tom the plonker

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dont worry, there will be a lot more people from all sides working for a living now.

Some 620 department staff spent the first six months of the year checking 328,000 claims for fraud and overpayment.

€55m was saved following reviews of the One Parent family payments.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0724/welfare.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

alrightcuz wrote: »
    ,,,,,and before i get smart comments i know social workers from all over the country and thats there professional opions okay tom the plonker

Ah - what???? I never mentioned the working v's not working arguement, but seeing as you have now started it... I was brought up in a family where my mum was at home. I went on 2 summer holidays up to when I was 19. We didn't have the latest video games, fanciest trainers etc but we had the love of two good parents. They did their best to make ends meet, taking in lodgers, cooking for local delis and such like. My mum went to work when I was about 14 and I did not resent it.

In this day and age many people need to have both parents out working. I will do my best not to end up in this situation. If that means a smaller house, no holidays, limited nights out so be it. Parenting is a responsibility to be taken seriously.

However, I may not be that lucky and there may have to be two of us out working. The basic cost of living is high without any luxuries. But to suggest that both parents working is a major factor in suicide is complete bull. If that was the case the whold county is ****ed and in particular Dublin will be out of people soon what with them all topping themselves after their parents worked day and night to pay back a mortgage on a modest family home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Im not against the idea of regeneration but it should be a city wide effort why should kids in one area benefit and not all ideas?We should be putting down the barriers when you judged where your from.I got attacked by bazz1976 for starting this thread but im sorry i dont see what the the majority of the regeneration plan does for us?it sounds great on paper but come on marina's and silly things....get the basics right

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

short and simple. The problem is parents.Generation after generation it's never going to fade away.

If kids have nothing to do, then they will create something to do and that starts at a young age. Kids having nothing to do is in the parents responsibilty too.
    It's their responsibilty to join them up to sports clubs, music lessons. I am aware that there isn't enough amenties in these areas or hell in general though but School alone isn't enough.

I have no idea to go about solving the school problem though. A child should always be able to atten the nearest school to theirs without problem, But I hear in these " rough" areas teachers have to break up fights between kids everyday and where do kids get that from?..... the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

This will do nothing for the regular people. Sure all your doing is rewarding scumbags with compulsory buyouts. Wherever you put them crime will follow. Scum do not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I like this to stay on topic,just wondering because im kinda against this regeneration,but what does it do for everybody else in limerick?besides costing alot of time and money what will it do for veryone else in the city across the board,all areas

Tried to quote your title and couldn't - why is it us vs them????? and not just about who deserve better housing/facities etc??? I come form Moyross but I put my deposit on my own house elsewhere when I turned 21. Just wanna know why it us vs them??? Reared in Moyross but the biggest junkies I hung around I met through school and they were all form Castletroy - but they had there wealthy mammies and daddies on hand to bail them out.
    Maybe less of the tarring with the one brush is in order??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Birdie086 wrote: »
    Tried to quote your title and couldn't - why is it us vs them????? and not just about who deserve better housing/facities etc??? I come form Moyross but I put my deposit on my own house elsewhere when I turned 21. Just wanna know why it us vs them??? Reared in Moyross but the biggest junkies I hung around I met through school and they were all form Castletroy - but they had there wealthy mammies and daddies on hand to bail them out.

In these threads about the regen over the last four or five months, Irishvamp has said a number of times that the problem is not the majority of people in the areas being regenerated, but with the scum minority who will benefit from it, and the same scum that will be put back in with the good people in those areas.

Irishvamp also has a good point about why some areas are getting it and others do not. Will Weston get regenerated? Will Rathbane? Will areas like Ballinacurra Gardens get free internet and free facilities for kids? Will Dooradoyle get free facilities for kids?

I do laugh sometimes when I see people making excuses for those that cause trouble by saying they had nothing to do as kids. That is bullcrap. I am originally not from a silver spoon in mouth family, but I have never had run ins with the law, never been arrested, never been brought home in a cop car, and have never felt the need to rob/vandalise/attack when bored.

I would firmly be behind anything that brought in stiffer punishments for crime, and anything that brought in a systems where you actually did time for crime and where we did not have a system where people with 30 or 40 previous convictions get to walk.

The problems in Moyross, Southill etc is not one that is totally unique to those areas, it is one that is in Castletroy, Dooradoyle, and most other areas, but it is not in the other areas in as big a number....yet.

That problem is scumbags and career criminals dragging an area down and giving it a bad name, and preventing the majority of people there, good people, from having a decent quality of life.

Spreading the scum out into other areas just starts the same nasty cycle in other areas, something that is being sown now that will be reapped by future generations.

The money should have been put into building more prisons and more gardai, with proper sentences handed out and upheld when a crime is committed.

If a crime is worth ten years, then that is what you should be in for. If there was a decent system that actually punished the scum and protected those that do not commit crime, then actual changes could be brought about by regenerating areas. But regeneration without cutting out the cancers in areas? A watse of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Birdie086 wrote: »

Exactly.

Its disappointing to see the amount of people on here who are just "address snobs" on the whole issue.....

- If you've noticed an increase in worrying anti-social behaviour or have some actual problem then please quote an example.

Otherwise stop squawking and STFU.

I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't work if done right and if the Gardaí come down hard on people who want to fcuk up a good thing; But its rare to see anything done right in this Country so there is a fair chance that a few Scumbags will ruin it for a lot of people.......

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Kess73 wrote: »
    In these threads about the regen over the last four or five months, Irishvamp has said a number of times that the problem is not the majority of people in the areas being regenerated, but with the scum minority who will benefit from it, and the same scum that will be put back in with the good people in those areas.

Irishvamp also has a good point about why some areas are getting it and others do not. Will Weston get regenerated? Will Rathbane? Will areas like Ballinacurra Gardens get free internet and free facilities for kids? Will Dooradoyle get free facilities for kids?

I do laugh sometimes when I see people making excuses for those that cause trouble by saying they had nothing to do as kids. That is bullcrap. I am originally not from a silver spoon in mouth family, but I have never had run ins with the law, never been arrested, never been brought home in a cop car, and have never felt the need to rob/vandalise/attack when bored.

I would firmly be behind anything that brought in stiffer punishments for crime, and anything that brought in a systems where you actually did time for crime and where we did not have a system where people with 30 or 40 previous convictions get to walk.

The problems in Moyross, Southill etc is not one that is totally unique to those areas, it is one that is in Castletroy, Dooradoyle, and most other areas, but it is not in the other areas in as big a number....yet.

That problem is scumbags and career criminals dragging an area down and giving it a bad name, and preventing the majority of people there, good people, from having a decent quality of life.

Spreading the scum out into other areas just starts the same nasty cycle in other areas, something that is being sown now that will be reapped by future generations.

The money should have been put into building more prisons and more gardai, with proper sentences handed out and upheld when a crime is committed.

If a crime is worth ten years, then that is what you should be in for. If there was a decent system that actually punished the scum and protected those that do not commit crime, then actual changes could be brought about by regenerating areas. But regeneration without cutting out the cancers in areas? A watse of time.

+1 what he said..

Ok theres is plenty of scumbag anti social behaiviour in raheen now should it be included in regeneration?

Raiser wrote: »
    Exactly.

Its disappointing to see the amount of people on here who are just "address snobs" on the whole issue.....

- If you've noticed an increase in worrying anti-social behaviour or have some actual problem then please quote an example.

Otherwise stop squawking and STFU.

I suppose there is no reason why it shouldn't work if done right and if the Gardaí come down hard on people who want to fcuk up a good thing; But its rare to see anything done right in this Country so there is a fair chance that a few Scumbags will ruin it for a lot of people.......

Raiser.how is wanting a quiet life making me an address snob?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

alrightcuz wrote: »
    just to comment on what tom said so what is good parenting putting your kids in childcare from 8am till 6.30pm and then in bed for 7 five nights a week then use the excuse well i work for a liveing if you have kids at least one parent should stay at home and if you really have too only work part-time at the most,,,, at least the parents that push there kids places will have the respect later on in life from there kids,look at the kids who's both parents worked all there life they hate the world,with suicidal tendencies and never listen to they parents,,,,,and before i get smart comments i know social workers from all over the country and thats there professional opions okay tom the plonker

AAhhhhh come on.......

I work, so does me wife. I drop our son to childcare every day (7am but he gets up at 6 anyway) My wife collects him, and we play with him in the evenings when he gets home. He is in bed by 7:30 pm.

I get him up every morning and try to get home to give him his bath and put him to bed (I often come home to do that and then go back to word). All my time off including holidays is spent with my family. We took great care deciding where we picked for childcare. We decided not to go with a large creche and he is looked after by a nice lady in her home with 2 other kids, one his own age and one a year older. His childminder has a 15 year old daughter that we use as a baby sitter on the one or two nights a year we go out. He loves having kids to play with (he is an only child) and looks forward to going each day. He is outgoing, loves meeting people, loves animals (we have two dogs at home and the childminder has dogs), well behaved (Oh he has the odd strop like any toddler) and in general a good kid.

Now are you honestly telling me that he is worse off than the kids I see sitting in buggies in the crescent, sitting all day in the same buggies just looking around and stuffing their faces with KFC..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Ok theres is plenty of scumbag anti social behaiviour in raheen now should it be included in regeneration?
    Raiser.how is wanting a quiet life making me an address snob?

How is posting on an internet forum going to change things?

jackncoke wrote: »
    How is posting on an internet forum going to change things?

It can give a person a place to vent their frustrations, and by doing so they may chat with people in a similar situation, which could lead them to getting advice to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

knipex wrote: »
    AAhhhhh come on.......

I work, so does me wife. I drop our son to childcare every day (7am but he gets up at 6 anyway) My wife collects him, and we play with him in the evenings when he gets home. He is in bed by 7:30 pm.

I get him up every morning and try to get home to give him his bath and put him to bed (I often come home to do that and then go back to word). All my time off including holidays is spent with my family. We took great care deciding where we picked for childcare. We decided not to go with a large creche and he is looked after by a nice lady in her home with 2 other kids, one his own age and one a year older. His childminder has a 15 year old daughter that we use as a baby sitter on the one or two nights a year we go out. He loves having kids to play with (he is an only child) and looks forward to going each day. He is outgoing, loves meeting people, loves animals (we have two dogs at home and the childminder has dogs), well behaved (Oh he has the odd strop like any toddler) and in general a good kid.

Now are you honestly telling me that he is worse off than the kids I see sitting in buggies in the crescent, sitting all day in the same buggies just looking around and stuffing their faces with KFC..

lets just hope that nice lady dont turn out to be a psyco.

as for your question i think your kids and the kfc womans kids are equally disadvantaged.

It can give a person a place to vent their frustrations, and by doing so they may chat with people in a similar situation, which could lead them to getting advice to do something about it.

Local politicians,TD's and the garda.

Thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

knipex wrote: »
    AAhhhhh come on.......

Why you even felt the need to justify a perfectly normal occurence is beyond me. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Stab*City wrote: »
    lets just hope that nice lady dont turn out to be a psyco.

as for your question i think your kids and the kfc womans kids are equally disadvantaged.

WTF?! :confused:

Local politicians,TD's and the garda.

Thats about it

:D Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh.

The three groups you mentioned seem to have no interest in working for the people that they claim to represent, or in the case of the third group, protecting the people they are paid to do so for.

Limerick Gardai, or rather the younger generation of them, are just a joke, that's if you can actually get one to come to you when you ring them. Because you have no chance of finding them on regular foot patrols in the city centre.

:D Thanks for that, I needed a good laugh.

The three groups you mentioned seem to have no interest in working for the people that they claim to represent, or in the case of the third group, protecting the people they are paid to do so for.

Limerick Gardai, or rather the younger generation of them, are just a joke, that's if you can actually get one to come to you when you ring them. Because you have no chance of finding them on regular foot patrols in the city centre.

Right,and what have you done other than posting here?

Have you tried contacting anyone?
    Have you contacted any politician?
    Have you called into Henry Street?

Have you done anything other than been a keyboard warrior?
    Things arent going to get sorted by posting rubbish here.

Right,and what have you done other than posting here?

Have you tried contacting anyone?
    Have you contacted any politician?
    Have you called into Henry Street?

Have you done anything other than been a keyboard warrior?
    Things arent going to get sorted by posting rubbish here.

Actually I have tried to do something about it after needing the Gardai last weekend and despite three calls to Roxboro station over a period of time, none arrived, and damage was done. If any garda from that station happens to be reading this, they can easily check their logs for Saturday evening/night and the house number was given to them as well.

I went to the station the next day and wanted to complain and let's just say the response I got was not encouraging me to follow up on it.

Another incident a few months ago was a certain family starting fires near the roundabout outside Huntsfield, they were moved into the area as part of the regeneration scheme (more like a relocation of scum scheme) and have been causing chaos in the area, with dumping their rubbish bags into people's gardens and setting their rubbish on fire at the roundabout and in other people's gardens, yet again the boys at the Garda station were not interested.

But when it comes to picking up the two bangarda that are renting in the area at night in their glad rags to go out clubbing and then dropping them off again after club times, that the garda cars can come to the area for.

It was also brought to the attention of a community Garda and two waste of space local politicians.

You can make ignorant keyboard warrior comments all you like, but the simple fact is that the subhuman trash in this city get away with what they want, and the so called law sits on their arses when called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

An File wrote: »
    WTF?! :confused:

WTF what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It's not just Limerick that's affected. What about Co. Clare? Many families have been rehoused in the Shannon and Sixmilebridge and seem to have brought their antisocial problems with them. I heard there was a person shot in the leg and a middle aged woman hospitalised yday morning after being slashed in the face by a slash-hook, all this in one incident approx.100 metres from my front door. Without giving away too much the crimes were perpetrated by a well known "crime-family" from Limerick City after some disagreement between neighbours.

Also, the number of break-ins have considerably increased in rural areas in recent months. Isolated houses usually habited by elderly bachelors are the main targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

yea im saying the childminder has a better relationship with ur child then u do , an hour in the morning and about 2 at night kids are for life not just for Christmas....

and who the fxxk are ye to look year noise's down on young mothers because they would rather mind there kids then put them in child care,,,all pretend mothers go to work and dump the kids at childcare bla bla bla yes im great i work an have kids bla bla more like you want kids but cant be bothered to spend ur day with them

only a real mother rears them 24/7,,,, so the next time ur out getting a few bits in town all glamed up walking past these mothers while ur child is being minded in childcare,, why not think isnt she a great a young woman probley only got 3-4 hours sleep and up early and taking her child for a walk

Advertisement