Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Cab

Options
  • 22-07-2009 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Thinking of buliding one of these as i have been using mame for the last few weeks and have had great fun playing all the classics but have a few questions

1..Does anyone stock the x arcade dualstick in ireland or will I have to get one shipped in.

2..should I build a new cab or refurbish something..

3..i was hoping to use it as a jukebox as well and was hoping someone here would know of some software i could use if i built in a trackball to the cab

Thank in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think I saw an X arcade for sale up on adverts.ie recently enough. Might be worth a look.

Also think I may have seen the X arcade for sale in the Gadget shop.

If I were you though I would look into real arcade controls if at all possible. They look a lot better than an X arcade bolted to a cabinet. Especially if you're going to go to the hassle of building the whole thing yourself.

A MAMEd cab will probably look more authentic than one you build from scratch. The biggest advantage being it may come with a working arcade monitor. Which look a lot better than a computer monitor.
    One thing about this however, please don't gut out a classic or perfectly working cab! There are plenty of generic/broken cabs out there that would be good for a project like this.

Building one yourself can be good too as you can pick your exact size and spec. Maybe you don't want a 6 foot monster in your living room and would prefer something with a smaller footprint.

All depends what you want really!

I have a cab myself but haven't gone near MAME at all. Much preffer using all the original hardware ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mack flyer

thanks for the quick reply...also one other quick question..is it easy to configure a coinbox for mame...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

x arcade dualstick dont look great plastered on the front of a cab,best to go with what
    o1s1n said if you need cabs let me know I have a few around

Cheers Mitch

where are u in meath mitch??

near Kinnegad

• Advertisement

thats not far from me at all...im near tullamore...so what sort of cabs have you got??

pm sent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Giving some serious thought to building a mini arcade cab myself.
    Saw one of these online
    http://www.arcadomaniashop.com/epages/es115644.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es115644_ArcadomaniaShop/Products/%2248-in-1%20JAMMA%20Pcb%22
    and it is exactly the range of games I want.
    I have an idea of cannibalising an old Dreamcast arcade stick and picking up a Supergun, PSU and a couple of speakers, not to mention the wood for building the cab itself.
    A cheap 19" LCD would do the trick for the display, also be a lot lighter than a CRT, both in itself and the mounting for the display.
    Would I need anything else I wonder?

Ciderman the 60+1 is a better board,I use the smaller poker machines to do this conversion,But i use a jamma wiring loom,psu and a pc crt.LCd are good but the games just dont look right,but then again it down to preference

thanks for the link ciderman that site looks very good....i like the ps2 jamma board..

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Giving some serious thought to building a mini arcade cab myself.
    Saw one of these online
    http://www.arcadomaniashop.com/epages/es115644.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es115644_ArcadomaniaShop/Products/%2248-in-1%20JAMMA%20Pcb%22
    and it is exactly the range of games I want.
    I have an idea of cannibalising an old Dreamcast arcade stick and picking up a Supergun, PSU and a couple of speakers, not to mention the wood for building the cab itself.
    A cheap 19" LCD would do the trick for the display, also be a lot lighter than a CRT, both in itself and the mounting for the display.
    Would I need anything else I wonder?

It would actually be easier to drill a few holes in plywood for arcade buttons and a stick then to convert a dreamcast stick to work in a supergun.

You can get superguns that take standard arcade controls. Which would be very easy to set up. Just connect the wire coming out of the button to the corresponding input on the supergun.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NeoGeo-MVS-and-JAMMA-Arcade-supergun-motherboard-MK-III_W0QQitemZ250469327488QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ?hash=item3a5122a280&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1121%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

And as for the LCD, bah, I know what you mean about the weight. Still think it would be worth the extra hassle for a CRT though. I have a 28 inch mitsubishi CRT hooked up to a supergun and it looks bloody brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

If you don't want the hassle of building a control panel, I can sell you my mint X-Arcade Dual stick with or without an xbox adapter for €50. That's about 1/3 of the price. I recently abandoned my build project and bought an Egret 3 candy cab. Best decision I ever made.

Master of the Universe

Gadge wrote: »
    I recently abandoned my build project and bought an Egret 3 candy cab. Best decision I ever made.

I....hate you.

:mad:

(Out of jealousy of course)

Where'd you get that bad boy? I'd kill for one.

gauge i think we can do business..send me a pm

sorry gadge ha ha

o1s1n wrote: »
    I....hate you.

:mad:

(Out of jealousy of course)

Where'd you get that bad boy? I'd kill for one.

There was an expo on in England last weekend called Insert Coin 09, and the organizers ordered tons of candy cabs in for the event, and sold them off at pretty much cost price. All the E3's they brought back were absolute mint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm wondering if anyone would consider exchanging a jamma cab for a NeoGeo CD system, with games, everything boxed.
    Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

mack flyer wrote: »
    Thinking of buliding one of these as i have been using mame for the last few weeks and have had great fun playing all the classics but have a few questions

1..Does anyone stock the x arcade dualstick in ireland or will I have to get one shipped in.

2..should I build a new cab or refurbish something..

3..i was hoping to use it as a jukebox as well and was hoping someone here would know of some software i could use if i built in a trackball to the cab

Thank in advance guys

ive actually got one of those 2 player x arcades which i got for a self build cab that i never done if yer interested pm me..

Its had some use but not much...

I think Mitch talked him out of it :D

aidankk wrote: »
    ive actually got one of those 2 player x arcades which i got for a self build cab that i never done if yer interested pm me..

Its had some use but not much...

So, how much would you take for the xarcade stick?

• Advertisement

I actually have 2 of them I'm not using... I'll let them got for €50 each without shipping. Also have a decent-condition coin door I'll give away for free for anyone who wants to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Hope I am not hijacking the thread.
    I may be interested in the 2 player xarcade.
    I currently have an electrocoin xenon cab that has a metal control panel thats on a piano hinge.
    Do you reckon the Xarcade would fit?
    Another question, would I have a problem configuring the controls for mame and other emu's.
    I don't use that many emulators on the cab, mame, visual pinball, epsxe, emuzwin (zx spectrum), winvice and zinc?
    Cheers.

Those X-Arcades are pretty big, you'll want to check the dimensions first (don't have them at hand myself, I'm at work.).

Also they're perfectly compatible with anything running on a PC, I think they simulate keyboard presses. I'll have to have a look but I'm sure I have PC connections for both of them.

thanks for the reply gadge.
    I will do a bit of research and get back to you.
    Cheers.

Hi Gadge,
    Looks like the xarcade is too small for my cab.
    Pity as I am limited with the metal control panel.
    I have been asking a mate to drill some extra holes in it since last november and am still waiting.

Sorry forgot to say thanks anyway...

Master of the Universe

Why not make a new control panel out of wood?

Would love to but not very good with wood work...
    I put an ad on adverts looking for a good carpenter and was willing to pay but nobody seems insterested.
    WOuld love to get a wood panel, get my controls sorted, buy a cpo from mame marquess and then lash some lexan over it and finally get this cab finished.

Are you offering....lol...

sham69 wrote: »
    I put an ad on adverts looking for a good carpenter and was willing to pay but nobody seems interested.

I was in the same boat as you before I gave up and bought a candy. Most of them belittled and laughed at the idea of an arcade cab. Shows you the ignorance of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

sham69 wrote: »
    I put an ad on adverts looking for a good carpenter and was willing to pay but nobody seems insterested.
    WOuld love to get a wood panel, get my controls sorted, buy a cpo from mame marquess and then lash some lexan over it and finally get this cab finished.

Are you offering....lol...
    Mate of mine done my control panel, are you modifying and existing machine or is this a custom built machine?

He just cut the piece of wood and slot for the t-moulding, I drilled the holes(but he did offer to do everything and would have done a much better, more accurate hole drilling in fairness)
    I'd say he's do ya a nixer no problem, he's always looking to do stuff like this

My control panel is nothing special but I want to restore the machine fully in the near future so I didn't want anything that I needed to damage the machine using
    ot3k1y.jpg
    Obviously still needing a bit of work and finishing off, not to mention put the trackball back in, and I hate the overlay lol
    oh and the 1st two buttons are slightly below the next 4 purposely

Advertisement