Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby we were born to run... eh, walk mostly :-)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Bioni wrote: »
    The charity in question is the Irish Cancer Society. We had raised €500 if we complete both the 10 mile and half marathon in them, so we'r not stopping now!
    All the best with the fundraising, you'll certainly have worked for it!

Did last day of Week 3 of the podcast today. I've had an easy enough week on the running, as I felt very tired from the 10 miler, plus I'd had a busy couple of weeks. Thought it was as well to give myself a week where I'm not pushing it too hard, I can always pick it up next week.

Lessons learned from today - get up earlier and have something to eat/drink! Started getting hunger pangs a few minutes in, didn't make for the funnest run ever, but survived... I'm not great at breakfast at the weekends anyway and it's hard to know how long to leave it before its safe to go out :P

Plan to do a longer distance tomorrow - will do as much running as I can throughout it and walk the rest.

Did 7.5 miles today in the park, took about 1.5 hours. I used one of the tips in Bally8's (I think!) log about running for the duration of a song and then walking for the next one, and so on. Worked very well at the start but I'd say after mile 4, I was only getting to 2-3 minutes before having to take a walk break. But got a good few 4/5 minute intervals of running in at the first few miles. Looped back so I'd get back to car at 5 miles, and experimented with carrying a drink - kept dropping it so I'm sure that wouldn't go down too well at an event, dropping drinks on everyone's feet :eek:

Also got in a bit of crosstraining today as well in the form of washing my very dirty car. Was so bad I was surprised young lads hadn't written "Also Available in Black" on it!

First day running since Sunday, as I was having some pain in my back and all down the back of my leg for the last while. Went to physio and apparently the running is doing something to one of my sciatic nerves thus pain in leg. Have plenty of stretches and exercises to work on it.

I was dying to go out this evening, I was so tired and lethargic after having two days off. Did just over 2.5 miles with Brian, on Week 4 of the podcasts. Felt surprisingly comfortable and was only troubled a little bit with the pains. This is one of the days when I love running :D

Did Week 4 of podcast again (2.8m) after work yesterday, before heading off for drinks with an old pal. Came a cropper with a hill that seemed like a 40 degree angle, I just had to walk up it :pac:
    Back hurting a little but not too bad so hopefully the exercises are loosening things up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

just wanted to say keep up the good work! :D:D

• Advertisement

Did Week 4 of the podcasts again. The triathlon was on in the park so got to see them cycling by. Scary moment for one of the guys when he hit a fawn that ran out in front of the bike!

Run was grand, the old breathing was a bit caught at the beginning but eased out towards the end.

Am off work this week decorating the place so went out this morning for a Week 4 of the podcast again. The computer was covered in plastic due to the painting so I couldn't put on Week 5 podcast. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
    Had a nice run, decided to try to loosen things up a bit as I often clench my shoulders and dig my nails into my hands when running, so I'm sure that's wasting energy. Think it worked, and my back didn't hurt for the first time in ages.

Am a bit nervous about the Week 5 Day 3 which requires 20 minutes running non stop! I know that is small change to a lot of ye here but I just don't know! Ah I'm sure we will survive..

Went out again this morning, seeing as I am on my holliers!! Did my own thing rather than the podcast, so used a combo of my own music and listening to when I needed a break myself. Running segments were 8, 6, 8 and 5 minute. Covered 3 miles in about 33 minutes. Was enjoyable!

Another morning time excursion, did Week 5 Day 1 of the podcasts.

Didn't go out yesterday, due to Ikea related activities. It was a workout in itself putting all that gear together. Am planning to run tomorrow using podcast with Brian and do a longer one on Monday.
    Did a 6 mile walk today, took about 1:13. Was embarrassingly wearing my Frank Duffy belly top and so was everyone else in the park.. all the runners, that is :p

• Advertisement

Did the Week 4 podcast with Brian today, in the rain. Had to just suck it up and go although was feeling like I'd rather sit wrapped in a blanket watching the telly! Feel a bit sore today so hopefully I'll be OK for tomorrow morning's outing.

Did 4.78 miles today. Took 52 minutes. Ran a lot more of it than I thought I'd be able to, took 4 walking breaks of 2-3 minutes. Tired now.

Did just 2 miles, with Brian as week 4 of the podcasts. He is very fast so it encouraged me to pick up my speed for the last 5 minutes. Am used to plodding to ensure I survive the whole thing, lol. Feel all out of breath now!

Did 1.98 miles on my lunchbreak today. Originally attempted to run for 20 minutes without walking. Managed to get to 18.5 minutes! In hindsight I could have probably went for the full 20 but think I went a bit too fast (for me) at the start.

Did the following since last posting:

Saturday - 16 mins non stop, with Brian

Sunday - a disaster. Only running in 3/4 minute durations before having to stop, back hurting and everything else feeling tight. Turned into more of a walk than anything else. Have been tired recently. Beat myself up about it for a while, thinking I'd never be able to do this :( but then decided to give myself two consecutive days to not do anything, and banned myself from even considering going out. Had long walk on the Monday though, due to Coldplay concert.

Tuesday: Bishop Brennan style kick up the backside, out and did 20 mins consecutive.

Did 15 non stop with Brian, cross country style in the park. I think I'm actually getting unfitter as time goes by, my breathing was in rag order.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did 15 non stop with Brian, cross country style in the park. I think I'm actually getting unfitter as time goes by, my breathing was in rag order.

Don't worry about it, we all have good days and bad days. The fact of the matter is that you're still getting out on the bad days, you're still being consistent and that will stand to you.

Thanks RK :D

Since then:
    Friday - did 20 mins, walk for 1 min, run for 4

Saturday - Walked

Sunday - Disaster - breathing not going well, started feeling very shaky and uncomfortable and getting caught up in not being able to breathe. Think I was going into my thoughts too much. Gave up after a bit of walking.

Monday (Today) - Much better. Ran at lunchtime, did 26 minutes non stop, (longest ever, yay!) a minute of walking and then 2 minutes to get back to where i started from. Was dying by the end breathing wise, but legs were all right.

I heard blowing up balloons is meant to help build the respiratory muscles, might give that one a go and see if it makes a difference!

Did another lunchtime run, quite enjoyable! Did 21 mins (though I must confess I walked about 10 steps in there because I got a twinge in my leg), then walked 1-2 mins, then ran another 13 minutes. Covered about 5k. Was nice by the sea, no dusty stuff in the air.

Started off back in the last wave, was looking around me at the very professional looking people also there, and hoping I wasn't going to be left on my Sweeney by the time we got to the start line :D
    One guy was running the whole thing backwards. Yes, you heard it right, BACKWARDS! I can hardly run forwards and he's doing a full half marathon running backwards. Anyway we set off, and after a sneaky visit to the portaloo I continued on. Ran the first mile and then decided to start my run-walk strategy, which was probably about 5 minutes running to a minutes walk. Got to the 5 mile and started feeling a bit painy with my back, so stopped and did a few stretches. Did that a few more times throughout the race. Could see the fast people coming down the home straight which is always funny when you know you're not even half way round!

After mile 7, the walking portions increased a good bit, as I was getting fairly tired. Had a packet of Lucozade glucose sweets with me to keep me going and put away almost the whole packet going around the course. I was hoping for a bit of energy from somewhere! :o

Was going all right (well hard, but not impossible) till about mile 10 (incidentally, got there about 6 mins faster than I did at Frank Duffy!) I'd collected a bit of sponsorship money for Irish Guide Dogs for this event, and that's probably about the only reason I didn't slip out the side gate. Back was absolutely in bits especially for the last 2 miles, so even walking wasn't too fast at that stage. Though at the "800 Metres To Go" sign, two girls ran up and gave me loads of support and I managed to run to the finish line together with them. They were great. I don't think I'd have done it without them and it would have been a very long 800 metre walk to the finish line. Got home at 2.42. I'm not at half marathon level in terms of my training so I was delighted to finish. Wrecked now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congratulations :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done!:) I saw one guy running backwards around the zoo, I think (or should I say I hope!) he was pacing a bunch of people. Either that, or he's just a showoff;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done KK, talk about mental strenght- I dont know if I could keep going if I was in pain like that.

racheljev wrote: »
    Well done!:) I saw one guy running backwards around the zoo, I think (or should I say I hope!) he was pacing a bunch of people. Either that, or he's just a showoff;)

I was talking to him beforehand, he was running the whole thing backwards for charity. He trained that way. Poor guy's neck must be killing him today, fair balls to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bioni

Well done Kitty, thats a great time especially considering your injury. I didnt finish until 3:05. Was delighted to see the finish line. Id love to blame the Giant Pear costume but think i would probably have finished even later without it. The crowd support was immense.

Just 9 or 10 months left until the race series 2010 begins ;)

Well, I am back! Just had a bad (non-existent!) few weeks there training wise, was on hols, then got a cough which seemed to go on for ages (difficult to get motivated when you have to stop after a minutes running to cough your lungs up!) and started back in college.

Have been out a few times but felt like I had reverted to being worse at controlling breathing than before I started. Though, that might have been the effects of the cough.

My course is fairly time intensive when added to my full time job and other commitments, so have changed goals slightly to put a little less pressure on myself, and am aiming to do 2-3 times a week min.

Was planning a lunchtime jog today, but the weather was atrocious - so I did something I've never done before... and gone to the GYM! (Pay as you go sports centre). Did about 25 mins on the treadmill, with a 2% incline. Was much easier than running on the road, but felt I got a good workout cardio wise. Its a good option for when the weather is really poor and I'm glad I tried it out.

Advertisement