Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby we were born to run... eh, walk mostly :-)

Options
  • 21-07-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd set up a log to try to keep myself on the straight and narrow!

Background - I've done little or no exercise since school (10 + years ago) and recently have decided to start making an effort to get fit. I've tried numerous times over the years and given up in days, so the last 4/5 weeks or so have been the longest I've managed to stick to it.

First few weeks were mainly brisk walking - was managing to get out 3-4 times per week, doing about 15-20k per week. Ramped it up in the last few weeks managing to do more miles per week and a little faster time, and have started doing a bit of running in the walk. Literally, a bit. A few yards and I'd be dead and have to go back to the walking, and might not be able to do it again for another good while into the walk. Some days I seem to be able to do more running during the walk than others...

Did the 5 miler in the park on Saturday, ran the most I have ever run, the guts of the first mile and a half (briefly stopping to walk during it, but running more than I walked). Did it in 58.30 which I was surprised at but the atmosphere really pushed me on. I was wrecked since and have only managed to get out tonight (Tuesday) as my legs were so sore.

I am half thinking of doing the 10 mile with a aim of purely finishing it. I think I'd nearly need to walk the whole lot rather than risk running some and burning out too quickly.. Will think about it and register nearer the time if I think I'm hard enough :D

Did just over 5k in about 40 mins in the park tonight, I'd say I ran half a K and couldn't run any more. Maybe that's how it is, some days worse than others... I think I need to refine my technique, find it very hard to jog slowly, end up going faster and bursting myself and then being incapable of much else. Was looking at the other people in the park running along feeling very envious!

Hopefully I can 1. keep my level of exercise up and 2. further increase the paltry running portion of my miles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Did 5.25k at lunchtime, took 38 mins. Tried a bit of running again but I think I might be going too fast for my fitness level and burning myself out too early. Think I might stop worrying about timing myself and just try to get more miles in, whatever format they may take.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs :)

Have you thought about following a structured beginner's program? You might find Couch to 5k or one of the Runner's World beginner programs to be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with training Kitty as Rainbow says there are lots of programs out there with 3 - 4 days per week to get you going.

Thanks so much for the tips about doing a structured program! I have downloaded the couch to 5k podcasts here:
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/podcasts/podcasts.html

They are fantastic! Some good tips and having someone to tell you when to start running and when to slow down is great, no messing with stopwatches. Started on week 2 by mistake but I think it was the best one for me to start with, as the running portion was just long enough that I was wanting it to stop just as it finished, as opposed to finding it too comfortable or too hard.

Having someone to tell you when to start running certainly helps with the pacing, as I found when left to my own devices I'd do the running at the start of the session and then would find it hard to motivate myself later on.

So did 5 miles (8k) tonight, did the first 2.5 miles as my Couch to 5k podcast and the rest was a walk. Done in just under the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great stuff krankykitty, best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Best of luck kk, like the nickname, that couch to 5k programme is really excellent, and I really like the sound of those podcasts, they are a great idea, and it's great that they work for people, especially these days when podcasts are so accessible on the iPhone / itouch.

Podcasts really are good, helping to learn how to pace myself as well.

Did about 2 miles today using couch to 5k podcast walk/run, had company (Thanks Brian!) so we did the 1st week's podcast together. About 25 mins. Felt good afterwards and hope to do another bit tomorrow.

Did 3.75k yesterday morning before work, using the Couch to 5k. I wanted to try an early morning run as I'll be back in college soon and won't have as much time in the evenings. Did week 3's podcast by mistake (what am I like!) and was very surprised when your man shouted in my ear to do a 3 minute run :eek:
    Survived it though....

It seems though that since starting running, I'm going a bit slower over the same distance than when I was purely walking. Perhaps it's because I'm walking slower than I usually would in the recovery walks. Hoping to improve that over time.

I had a thought that running might be a bit like childbirth. What I mean is, when people tell you about childbirth the day after, they say its the worst experience ever, never doing that again.. but then promptly forget about it enough to have another one! And running is the same for me. While I'm doing it, I'm asking myself why any sane person would put themselves through it.. but when I think back to the run later, I can only remember the good parts and look forward to the next one, until I'm on the next one, suffering and remembering what I thought the last time! And that's my crazy ramble for today :D

Going to take a rest day today and back on the wheel tomorrow.

Well! Ended up having to stay in work till all hours Wednesday trying to stop an overheating server room going up in smoke, so didn't get anything done that day.

Went out last night with Brian again, did week 1 of the podcast. 4.75k on Military Road in the Park, so lots of uphill/downhill. Legs felt very tired but am tired in general from work. The whole running experience getting easier, am not dying for the end as much during the running portions.

Did 4.27 miles today, half using the Couch to 5k, a walk back and a little bit of extra running after the podcast finished, here and there. Was very tough going as the legs are tired but I wanted to go out today. Having a bit of a shooting pain now in what I think is called the arch of my foot (haven't a clue of the anatomy!) so hope that will calm down soon. Might be that a good pair of runners are in order!

• Advertisement

Yarrgh! (and other pirate related expletives!)

Twas a hard run again today for some reason or another. Just did a nearly 5 mile walk with friend on Saturday, then rested yesterday, but today's couch to 5k run was so hard. Felt like I was going to have to pick up a lung along the way, plus my arch and knee quite sore. It is definitely time to buy some proper runners. I don't feel too disheartened as I know I can enjoy it again when I've a bit more energy. Am enjoying getting out into the park and the fresh air though so that in itself is wonderful.

Edit - just thought - did hills again today. Maybe they're best left for once a week!

In the spirit of getting back onto the horse that kicked ya, went out this morning and took it very easy. Wasn't too bad! Felt the pains kicking in when I went up a bit of an incline but I slowed down to an ungainy shuffle and managed to get through the segment. Did the Week 2 podcast, and covered just under 5k. Feel good now that I've done it.

And again! Tired when I got in from work but forced myself to go out. Had Brian with me again and we did the Week 2 podcast.

Went by Military Road and saw the garda crime scene tape around the wooded area, just heard today on the news that a woman's body was found there. Horrible to think about. Don't think i'll be going up there on my own until I can run fast enough :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

I have just downloaded the first 2 weeks.

Thanks for sharing.

I have just downloaded the first 2 weeks.

Thanks for sharing.

Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on! It's hard work but it seems easier than doing it by launching straight into cardiac arrest running. :D

Did 4.18k tonight using Week 2. Took it nice and handy. Getting a bit of pain/stiffness in the left leg - same side that i have the dodgy arch pain too so maybe its related. Must look after it in the next while.
    Will do another run or two over the weekend hopefully...

Sunday - got up this morn and did Week 2 - felt like getting sick at the start but soon got into it. Did two fairly quick intervals as Brian is quite a fast runner. Was downhill and pushed it a good bit. No pain today though, which is good!
    Yesterday walked 8k accompanied by an audiobook.. so i've managed to do some sort of exercise 6 days out of 7 this week. If someone had told me in May I'd be doing anything of the sort, I'd have fallen round the place laughing.

Did Week 3 of the podcast at lunchtime today (4k). Arrgh 3 minutes running! Was fine the first 3 minute interval but the second one was very hard as I had a bad stitch which I could also feel in my shoulder (weird). Took a new route which was very nice so might do that again the next time I'm going out from work.

Well that was a hellish excursion this evening! Did Week 2 of the podcast (with Brian). Huffed and puffed myself around, had stitches to beat the band and my legs felt like they had balls and chains on. Only for the company I'd have went crying off home :D

I know some days are better than others so it won't put me off, though you should have heard the curses out of me all the way round! Am going to walk Frank Duffy on Saturday so will probably have a bit of a rest over the next two days.

Got up and looked out the window at the pouring rain, considered checking myself in for psychiatric evaluation! Had been feeling a bit off during the week, really tired and achy and to be honest, until the race chip arrived on Tuesday I was considering not doing it at all. The fear was getting to me, you could say.

Anyway, decided to get myself in gear on the day and try it out. My get out clause was that I could slip out the side gate of the Park and go off home should I genuinely need to. The things you do to convince yourself!

The starting pens were a really good idea and after a very long queue at the toilets, headed down to start towards the back of the 90 min + section. Saw two guys dressed as pears so thought they'd be a good option to start beside. Those guys were fast though, lost them a good few times :D

Decided my strategy for the race was going to be about pacing myself, as I'm not used to such distances given that I am a noob. I definitely wanted to do running/walking intervals but with running intervals only as far as comfortable, as opposed to training where by the time the running interval is coming to an end, you're dying for it to be over. This worked out very well and I didn't tire myself out lungs wise at all.

Stopped just before the hill on Military Road to get my picture taken with the Pair of Pears, I have to hand it to those lads, I don't know how they didn't faint with the heat.

Just at Chapelizod gate, heard Garda sirens and next of all, the car with the clock on it (38 mins I think it said), comes up behind us, and all of a sudden we see the fast guys absolutely hooring by. The stewards were excellent organising us all to run on the left side while we got overtaken by the people on their second lap.

Coming up to the five mile mark, I could really notice the difference in my fitness since four/five weeks ago at the 5 mile. This time, although I wasn't relishing doing it all again, I wasn't quite ready to keel over either. There wasn't as much running in the second lap for me, some down Chesterfield and the Kyber. Had a small packet of jellies so I had a few and that gave me a bit of a mental boost, to be stuffing myself with sweeties :p
    Oh, and thanks to the man just before OSI who was handing out jellies too!

I was pretty comfortable until about 8 miles, and the last two miles were awful. Everything started hurting. My shoulders were like steel, my lower back started paining and my legs started feeling like two lumps of lead, except I didn't know lead could get blisters! Was pretty tough getting around by OSI and down to the last 400 metres, but once there the support of the crowd helped me to run slowly towards the finishing line. The encouragement was great from everyone who had finished. I had a big smile on my face getting across the line at last. Goodie bag organisation was so good too, in and out in a matter of minutes. I will be wearing my (bet-on tight) tshirt with pride now knowing that I finished it :D
    Went home and ate rings around me for the whole evening, was sooo hungry.

So back to the normal stuff now on Monday/Tuesday - think this experience will spur me on in the harder times, that the impossible is possible, lol.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nice one! You going to do the half next month?

• Advertisement

Ooh, I don't know! I was doubtful about the 10 miler before yesterday. But now that I've done that, its suddenly looking a bit more do-able. I'll have another think about it. Am pretty sore today so that's probably discouraging me right now :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sure go for it. 6 weeks to throw in an extra 3 miles. Easy peasy. Much easier than making the step up from 5 miles to 10 miles. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

Great reading. Very inspiring!

I must I must I must get off my butt!

Next week I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done, great report. And where exactly was the man handing out the jellies:eek: how did I miss him?! And yes, now you have to give the half a go...

Thanks for all the encouragement and inspiration the lot of ye! I was thinking that it was a bigger step up doing the 10 miler all right, and there's a longer gap between this and the half too. Its been a real help to read through all the logs here and see how far everyone has come.
    racheljev wrote: »
    And where exactly was the man handing out the jellies:eek: how did I miss him?!

Jelly man was just around the junction of Knockmaroon Gate and the Ordnance Survey road. You were too fast for him Rachel, he prob only got them out to encourage us last stragglers ;)
    I do have a very sensitive Sweets radar though, so maybe he wasn't so much handing them out as me attacking him for them!

Eastwall Girl - just do it! You won't regret it. Its only been a short time for me but the benefits are immense. I used to be tired all of the time and now I've a lot more energy and feel better in myself too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Kranky, its amazing what we can push our bodies to do even when our heads are trying to find any way out! Excellent report. Onwards and upwards for you now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bioni

Was great reading your training and overall report Kranky. You were quite the competitor aswel, I was one of the oversized pears, no. 432. Congratulations on getting through it, you finished well ahead of myself and my fellow pear. The things we do for charity.

The half marathon is an extra challenge that I hope to see you at. Its a good excuse to keep fit. If I wasnt registered for these races I wouldnt move a muscle. The thought of getting another tshirt (preferably one that fits) is just too good a prize to turn down.

Hope you've recovered well after the 10 miles. Im still waiting for the day I can sit up without the all round pain. haha. All the best with your training and hope you keep it up.

Bioni - Well done to the PEAR of you, I can only imagine how hard it was for you guys. I wasn't that far ahead of you and I had to only feebly drag myself around the course and not a big suit as well! Will you be in the pear again at the half? Whats the good cause you're doing it for?

Anyway, was feeling not so bad today so went out and did Week 3 of the podcast with Brian. The race on Saturday was a good practice for me in terms of pacing, so I was able to keep it nice and easy and comfortable on today's run, as the old legs are still a bit sore. Glad I went out.

Did Week 3 of the podcast again with Brian, plus we ran another extra little bit at the end of it. Getting a bit easier but still sore in a few places (who am I kidding, every place!) from Saturday. I presume that is normal!

Find myself getting super extra hungry these days as well so I need to start taking a look at what I'm eating, don't want to eat a load of crap just because I have hunger pangs.

Am planning to do a longer "freestyle" session at the weekend similar to how I treated the 10 miler - pick a route and run/walk my way around it, not minding the time etc but doing the running parts at an easy enough pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Bioni

Kranky - We will indeed be back in the pear costumes for the half marathon. We'l look forward to talking to you and everyone else again. It shouldnt be too hard to spot us! :)

The charity in question is the Irish Cancer Society. We had raised €500 if we complete both the 10 mile and half marathon in them, so we'r not stopping now! :) Although we'r going to have to find some way to improve our leisure, we had difficulty breathing and were covered in bruises after the race from the weight of the costumes. Shoulder pads are a wise investment for us!

I fully agree with your posts, the thought of training is alot worse that the run/walk itself. Its amazing how fresh, lively and energetic you begin to feel with regular training.

Advertisement