Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE for campers

Options
  • 21-07-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

can anyone clear this up i have seen reports that all campers not just vans over 3.5tons will need to have a doe from 15th july,if this is so it will cost 100e to have done and has to be done every year not like the nct,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

can anyone clear this up i have seen reports that all campers not just vans over 3.5tons will need to have a doe from 15th july,if this is so it will cost 100e to have done and has to be done every year not like the nct,

It's definitely true . And it's actually been in force for a while now , but the various govt. agencies (RSA , DOT , Tax office etc) obviously have their heads up their holes as it hasn't been enforced . It is every year , and will be done in DOE centres . However , I have been discussing a lot of issues with the RSA and they don't have a complete understanding of Campers . So its gonna be messy....

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Aidan, will that apply to my Irish reg 1987 T25 VW? Or is it only for campers over 3.5 T

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    It's definitely true . And it's actually been in force for a while now , but the various govt. agencies (RSA , DOT , Tax office etc) obviously have their heads up their holes as it hasn't been enforced . It is every year , and will be done in DOE centres . However , I have been discussing a lot of issues with the RSA and they don't have a complete understanding of Campers . So its gonna be messy....

thanks for the reply but again it does not clear it up,like is it or is not been enforced and what does messy mean,gov agencys are saying one thing the doe centers say another,any one on here have one done on a van under 3.5 tone and if so what is tested and did it pass

thanks for the reply but again it does not clear it up,like is it or is not been enforced and what does messy mean,gov agencys are saying one thing the doe centers say another,any one on here have one done on a van under 3.5 tone and if so what is tested and did it pass

I'm sorry if my answer isn't clear , but neither were the replies I got from the RSA or the Dept of Environment or the DOE Test Centres locally . Messy as in the RSA seem to have no concept of the difference between a camper and a Commercial van , they want to test our campers under commercial vehicle rules , yet they are passenger vehicles , they don't know about the AL-Ko chassis'd ones that don't have the original Van chassis , and they can't tell m if the LHD campers that are so popular need to have the headlights changed or if BeamBenders will work , if the Foglight and Rev. Light will need to be swopped side to side , and what they'll be looking for in the floor structure of campers with a Timber floor on the chassis rails , like the Granducas and so on.

I'm actually in favour of Testing , but it should have been introduced years ago , when they started getting popular , and I think every year is a bit much .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Ordinary (commercial) vans are DOE'd every year. You do not need to display a disc in the window as with the nct, but you cannot renew the motortax without the cert.
    As things stand at present, (I re-newed my tax yesterday), you do not need a DOE certificate to tax a campervan.

• Advertisement

loobylou wrote: »
    As things stand at present, (I re-newed my tax yesterday), you do not need a DOE certificate to tax a campervan.

Agredd , taxed one only a short time ago . Thats what I mean about it being up in the air still .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Aidan i do agree with and understand the need for a test,
    but i to have just taxed my van and their was no mention of a doe,
    i just want to keep every thing in order if i need a test i will get one but after reading reports of campers been stopped at check points and been asked for the doe it would be nice to have this cleared up so i know where i stand if i am stopped over the coming weeks,

so it seems to be a case of watch this space and wait for the powers that be to get their house in order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

It's being reported on another forum that this has been introduced, effective yesterday.
    I can't see anything on the Dept. Transport website so who knows.
    As to your chances of getting stopprd at a checkpoint and asked for the cert., I would say pretty low. I have never been asked to produce my commercial vehicle one (other then when taxing it). I don't even bother to keep it in the vehicle.
    As to the test itself, perhaps it's no bad thing. It will keep some unsafe vehicles off the road. Given the relatively low mileage done by motorhomes though, every two years would probably be enough. I think most people could live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Had my Camper DOE'd in April as it was just imported from Germany and Dolmen Insurance wanted it Doe'd. Cost €86, it goes through the same test as commercial vans, the gas fittings etc were not tested. They put those stickers on the headlamps, said they are acceptable. Got it done in Rathcoole Motors in Greenogue beside Rathcoole/Saggart/Newcastle. My former boss used to get his vans done there so I had a couple of good experiences with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mickwor1111

• Advertisement

its true , all motorhomes need to have a DOE , traffic corps in Limerick are enforcing it big time

`They weigh it , €30 , put stickers on side and rear €120 , put a weight plate on it €120 and it will cost €120 to get it done , that is if your motorhome is not in need of repair .....then it is more money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I'm getting confused here - is this for vans over 3.5t only, or all campervans???

Thanks

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

still very confusing...

I phoned my local DOE test centre today and they say motorhomes are exempt as far as they knew and have never tested one..

Then I phoned local gardai and they told me to ring the motor tax office... who got me to ring shannon .... who didn't know and told me to ring gardai....

Guess we need a definative answer from somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

I work in a DOE Test centre and also have a camper.
    This circular came in the other day from the RSA.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/VT/VI%2007-09%20Testing%20of%20Campers.pdf

There is a very worrying issue regarding your windows, i definitely don't have such a cert and don't know where i would get one.

For all camper vans and motor homes
    • Non-glass glazing: The owner / presenter of the vehicle must produce a certificate or documentation from
    the manufacturer or glazing installer stating that the glazing material is not likely, if fractured, to produce
    fragments capable of causing severe cuts. A copy (not the original) of such documentation should be
    retained by the test centre.

Most of the trouble comes for people with campers over 3.5GVW.

As mentioned earlier you will need rear and side reflective marking.
    You will need a Weight Plate
    You will need a speed limiter if newer than 2001
    by law the vehicle must have a speedlimiter fitted if first registered since 1st
    October 2001

The full testers manual can be downloaded here
    http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/RSA_Services/Vehicle_Testing.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Lads, relax.

This is Ireland.

The NCT is optional, keeping cars out of bus lanes is optional, traffic regulation enforcement is optional, the traffic corp go for their tea break during the evening rush hour (or used to, I don't know if that idiocy got sorted out yet). I'll start to worry about this DOE yokie as soon as I get stopped for it.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I would have thought that the abundant safety markings on the plastic windows would be proof enough of their compliance with safety regulations. I can't see how the testing centre is going to keep the originals of the markings though since they are part of the window.

z

This glazing thing is interesting.
    1. I presume they are going to have to let every camper with plastic windows off as this includes every factory built camper around. I know they are very hard to break but when they do they leave long jagged pieces of plastic. I dont suppose this will be affected.
    2. Conversions. Any bus built in the last 25 years which has been converted and has kept its original windows: these windows tend to shatter into tiny fragments, they cause (in my experience) a lot of small (usually harmless) cuts but no "fragments capable of causing severe cuts" . This again is my opinion, do they have some sort of standard to measure this - pretty much all windows have their safety standard etched into them - or is it going to be at the discretion of the individual tester. My betting is on the latter. More confusion.

Again sad that Macspower had to do the runaround of the usual agencies before ending out where he started none the wiser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

nailer8 wrote: »
    I work in a DOE Test centre and also have a camper.
    This circular came in the other day from the RSA.

Just checked the emails there and you are right.

I only did an insurance assesment on an 86 merc 608 .

It would never have passed a DOE, not in a million years. I hope he doesnt come back :(

The new side markings are a lot more discreet than the older ones so wont look as bad if your camper is over 3500kg gvw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Typical Ireland confuse simple issure

For VRT and road tax a camper is

a vehicle which is shown to the satisfaction of the Commissioners to be designed, constructed or adapted to provide temporary living accommodation .....

but the RSA say it is
    “goods vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle, or an articulated vehicle, constructed or adapted primarily for the conveyance of goods or burden of any description whether or not the vehicle is used for such a purpose.

and the SI the quote makes no referenc to campers!

They may try to make campers go for DOE but once you are insured and taxed I don't see how they can.

My camper will pass DOE just don't want to shell out a pointless 100 euros and take time off work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

Having brought this to the attention in June, it now has come to pass. However:- the RSA havent a clue in relation to campers. Firstly they say all vehicles have to be tested. I wonder dose that also go for Gay Byrnes Harley or Gold Wing I am not sure which, he was presented in by U2. They want to class campers as commercial vehicles and campers over 3.5T as heavy goods, that means that you cant drive on the continent at weekends as HGV's are banned from driving on Sundays. 2. If your camper has a DOE certificate displayed in the windscreen, you can park in a commercial loding bay in cities, what will the traffic warden do? issue a ticket. You go to court to contest it and the judge will ask why was this vehicle tickited as it displays a DOE of a commercail vehicle. 3 It only costs approx 40 euro to import a commercail vehicle. Does that mean that we can all apply for a refund of VRT paid.

:pac:

Well just on a point of clarification.

From what I can see, the vehicles will not be classed as commericals, just tested under their rules.

The doe cert is not designed to be displayed and you are not obliged to do so. Commercial parking bays are for vehicles taxed commercially which campers will not be.

From my point of view, I am dreading this. Some of the campers that are prestented for an engineers report are an astounding condition.

+1 to what Sidley says.

For commercials there are two tests, under 3.5t and over 3.5t. From what I can see the campers will be judged on this. The tests are a bit different because of the technical differences between small vans and trucks.

No matter what the weight if it is a camper it will still be classified as acamper, taxed, VRT'd, insured and treated as a camper (so we'll have to park it as a camper too).

Campers over 3.5t are treated as a private vehicle over 3.5t, NOT as a commercial over 3.5t.

Sunchaser: The "no driving on Sunday" rule on the continent applies to vehicles with a GVW over 7.5t, very few campers are over this so most people are OK.

Hope this isnt confusing.:o

bijapos wrote: »
    +1 to what Sidley says.

For commercials there are two tests, under 3.5t and over 3.5t. From what I can see the campers will be judged on this. The tests are a bit different because of the technical differences between small vans and trucks.

No matter what the weight if it is a camper it will still be classified as acamper, taxed, VRT'd, insured and treated as a camper (so we'll have to park it as a camper too).

Campers over 3.5t are treated as a private vehicle over 3.5t, NOT as a commercial over 3.5t.

Sunchaser: The "no driving on Sunday" rule on the continent applies to vehicles with a GVW over 7.5t, very few campers are over this so most people are OK.

Hope this isnt confusing.:o

Thanks for clearing up the "no Sunday driving".
    On the question of campers over 3.5t does that mean if they are to be treated as a private vehicle over 3.5t they will not require commercail vehicle markings. ?

No, for the purposes of the test, they will be tested as Heavy Goods Vehicles.

This means that they will have to meet all the requirements of the HGV test. The only exception to this is the tachograph laws. You will be able to sign an exemption form for the tachograph which means you will not have to have one calibrated if fitted, unless the vehicle it after oct 01 and the speedlimiter that is fitted is controlled through the tacho.

The new side markings are not the stripey ones you see on most HGV. They are a thin (approx 50mm) reflective strip and can be either silver or yellow on the side and red at the rear. There is the possibility that they may fall off after the test of course...

What camper after Oct 01 can one purchase that will have a tacho and speedlimiter fitted. As you are aware they are recretional vehicles and should be tested as such the same as they are in the U.K. and in Germany. A s[eed limiter is not required for campers over 3.5 t in the UK. I dont have a problem with a test for a camper as stated there are a lot of campers out there that shouldnt be on the road, some I have seen even fitted with Alum windows as in a house.

Speed limiters only started to be fitted to HGVs as standard (under 12t) from about 06 on. So that means that anything older than that would have to have one retro fitted.

Since this legislation came into effect there has been a lot of mini buses getting this fitted, the likes of Hiaces, Transporters and Ranault Trafics. Some of them are handy and some are a pain in the hole.

The easiest one to do is the sprinter, it can be set using the engine control unit in any Mercedes garage and takes only a few min.

If whatever camper you have doesnt have a tacho and can have a speed limiter fitted without one can just sign the tacho exemption form once a year instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 decci

i have just started to convert a iveco to camper just been reading all this about a doe so far i have bought a caravan and have one window from it in the van and have replaced the drivers seat with a bucket seat now after reading this is it going to be a complete waste of time going ahead with it like where do you get a cert for windows after taking them from a caravan and will it fail a doe for modifying seats and closing up back doors

Closing off the back doors would not be a fail.

Bucket seat I'm not too sure, I'll look in the manual. Is the back adjustable?

I dont believe getting a cert for the windows will be that much of a problem if the are safety glass. Just find a glazier to inspect them and write a report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

you wont need a cert if the windows are glass (only non-glass):

Non-glass glazing: The owner / presenter of the vehicle must produce a certificate or documentation from
    the manufacturer or glazing installer stating that the glazing material is not likely, if fractured, to produce
    fragments capable of causing severe cuts. A copy (not the original) of such documentation should be
    retained by the test centre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement