Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Signed up it's class and i've only had a quick look around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

We have a full WrestleKingdom card and it's not too shabby:
    New Japan Rumble - No names were announced. This is likely a preshow match to get everyone on the card

Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish defend the IWGP jr. tag titles against Alex Shelley & Kushida, The Young Bucks and Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov

Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima & Tomoaki Honma vs. Yujiro Takahashi & Bad Luck Fale & Jeff Jarrett

Toru Yano & mystery partner vs. two members of Suzuki-gun

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Minoru Suzuki in UWF rules

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Togi Makabe for the Never Open weight title

Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kenny Omega for the IWGP jr. title

Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson vs. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP tag team titles

A.J. Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi for the IC title

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP heavyweight title

Has anyone used NJPW World on an Android device?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The ENGLISH LANGUAGE New Japan AXS TV show that everyone is raving out:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ewk5q_njpw-axs-ep-1_sport

You've no excuse now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Thanks a million Rovert, been looking forward to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Hi Rovert, I don't mean to bother you or flood you with questions but I've just gotten NJPW World, Wrestle Kingdom has basically made me want to watch New Japan full time rather than catching the odd match here and there. Anyway I just have a few questions which, if you help with, it'd be great.

In terms of the weekly show (English or Japanese) I'm under the assumption that isn't available on World, but is there anywhere else I could find it on a weekly basis?

Who would be the best people to follow on Twitter in regards keeping up with NJPW news and upcoming events?

Are all ppvs live on World? I just ask because Fantasticamania doesn't seem to be up on it?

Is there a way of seeing complete ppvs rather than being broken into separate matches?

What time (GMT) do ppvs tend to take place?

Sorry for the numerous questions mate and some of them may seem downright ridiculous but being a newbie to following NJPW on a regular basis I'm slightly lost in some respects.

If you were to follow one person for NJPW stuff you should probably go with John Pollock of Live Audio Wrestling.

Others: @voicesofwrestling, @senorlariato @whpark9, @reasonjp . There's probably loads more.

Iirc Wrestle Kingdom started at 7am but different shows start at different times but with the time difference in general you're looking at early morning.

The announce job on that AXS TV show was genuinely outstanding and I don't say that loosely. I can't tell you how much I hated announcer Mauro Randallo before going into this show after experiencing him in the past. I liked him in PRIDE Fighting Championships but all his US MMA and Boxing announcing has enraged me. Viewed him as a shouty Matt Striker. But he and Josh Barnett did such a tremendous job here.

Watching New Japan in English reminded of watching it on Eurosport in mid 90s. So that was fun too.

New Japan Pro Wrestling on AXS TV (January 23rd, 2015) - Episode 2
    Okada vs. Hirooki Goto, 2013 New Japan Cup finals
    Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii and Jado vs. Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer and Taka Michinoku

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ffwxz_njpw-axs-ep-2_sport
    New Japan Pro Wrestling on AXS TV (January 23rd, 2015) - Episode 3
    Tanahashi vs. Okada, Invasion Attack 2013

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2fgvxf_njpw-axs-ep-3_sport

Dave Meltzer called episode 3 "the best one hour pro-wrestling television show ever". Please don't sleep on these shows lads.

• Advertisement

Episode three is a 45min show with a 30min match so Meltzer is just being contrary. It was a great match though.

The subtitles on post-match promos and the announcing are a welcome addition though Barnett is very dry. Goto v Okada from the second show is very good too.

Video quality on the links above is excellent so I second the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Ageyev wrote: »
    Episode three is a 45min show with a 30min match so Meltzer is just being contrary.

Well the American version is a hour long with ad thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rumor..

Super Crazy has said NJPW has bought out NOAH.

He said he was being booked for NOAH shows throught NJPW.

Rumor..

Super Crazy has said NJPW has bought out NOAH.

He said he was being booked for NOAH shows throught NJPW.

That's not actually true he said they have a working agreement.

New Japan having a minority stake and even an ownership stake in NOAH has been the rumour for about six months.

rovert wrote: »
    That's not actually true he said they have a working agreement.

New Japan having a minority stake and even an ownership stake in NOAH has been the rumour for about six months.

So it's not true but then you go on to say the rumour has been there for 6 months?

So what is not true?

That he is lying about being booked?

That he was lying about NJPW taking over NOAH.

Or the rumour is a lie?

He said they have a working agreement as I said.

He said they have a working agreement as I said.

So NJPW and NOAH don't have a working agreement but yet NOAH wrestlers were used on Wrestle Kingdom 9 that looks like a working agreement to me.

So NJPW and NOAH don't have a working agreement but yet NOAH wrestlers were used on Wrestle Kingdom 9 that looks like a working agreement to me.

What on earth, Agent Coulson? Are you trolling me here or what?

Super Crazy said they have a working agreement with each other. He did not say New Japan bought NOAH.

I've zero idea why you can't grasp what I have said or why you are claiming I said they didn't have a working agreement.

What on earth, Agent Coulson? Are you trolling me here or what?

Super Crazy said they have a working agreement with each other. He did not say New Japan bought NOAH.

I've zero idea why you can't grasp what I have said.

I have know idea why you think I would be bothered trolling you!

I bow to your expert knowledge of all things wrestling.

Just baffled here.

• Advertisement

New Japan World free for the month of Feb according to https://Twitter.com/newjapaneng/status/562353109780148226?p=v

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ageyev wrote: »
    New Japan World free for the month of Feb according to https://Twitter.com/newjapaneng/status/562353109780148226?p=v

Even without that it is well worth signing up for. Picture quality isn't as good as WWE Network but it's only a little worse. Hardly noticeable for the most part.

This without needing to mention to quality of the content itself.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Even without that it is well worth signing up for. Picture quality isn't as good as WWE Network but it's only a little worse. Hardly noticeable for the most part.

This without needing to mention to quality of the content itself.

Couldn't agree more. I'm going over all of the 2014 shows and am in awe at the constant quality of each show. Fantastic service and the price is a steal.

Naito got booed something terrible in Osaka. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why. Then seen on Twitter he made some comments in 2012. Basically, next time they see him he will be IWGP Champion. If he isn't, they should boo him. The Osaka fans have a good memory!

Spoilers from the Osaka New Beginning show present in this post!!

I enjoyed it all in all. The show has gotten a bit of a mixed reception but there's 3 nailed on 4 star matches on the show and a very certain direction the company has taken so it's tough to be too harsh, this wasn't a nondescript show that meant little.

I like the Bullet Club, not everybody does but I think it's quite a cool faction, though admittedly it could be trimmed down. Anderson and Gallows match with Goto and Shibata clicked better on this show than their Wrestle Kingdom match, didn't expect the BC members to win back the titles so quickly. Omega can finally move on from Taguchi, I like Omega's character and work but really he's been dragged down by Taguchi. Styles winning the title was a surprise, though not as much during the show when the booking started to take shape. I'm delighted for Styles, I've always been a huge fan of his work, he deserves all the recognition he is getting.

Outside of those BC matches, Ibushi and Honma was excellent, it told a story and Ibushi looks like a million bucks. The Junior tag title triple threat was an insane spot fest, credit to everyone involved. Outside of that there was a couple of tag matches to build the Sendai show, there was filler and there was the damn NWA match that always feels so out of place and out of touch. Also Sho Tanaka is surely going to be a big star, he's already such a polished performer, once he sheds these young lion openers he's on his way to big things.

I actually had a feeling Styles was taking the title back. It was the tag switch I didn't see coming considering how recently Meiyu Tag won the belts. Styles wasn't booked on today's show whereas Tanahashi is in a six man tag. Not really a match for the Champion on such an important show.

On the Bullet Club, I really wish they would tone it down. The near constant interferences are just annoying now. Save it for when it's needed rather than just throwing them in as often as possible. Not to mention the excessive use of the Suck It and Too Sweet taunts.

I enjoyed the entire show. Even the NWA match wasn't bad but their manager is dreadful. Looking forward to today's show but the Okasa show definitely got the better matches. Nagata has no hope of winning but NJPW have done a very good job of making him look like he could.

The brackets for the New Japan Cup are a little odd. Everyone I'd consider a favourite is in the same half. Tanahashi and Ibushi could meet in the second round, likewise Okada and Naito. Shibata seems the best bet for the other half but I doubt they will give him a singles push.

New Japan Cup starts tomorrow.

First round spoilers ahoy.

Absolutely shocked that Tanahashi not only lost in the first round, but did so in about three minutes! Okada vs Fale I was 50-50 on, likewise with Yoshi vs Yujiro, but I got the other five right. Not that the first round does be particularly hard to call.

Sunday now has Yano vs Ibushi, Naito vs Fale, Makabe vs Yujiro and Goto vs Shibata. Semi Final and Final are next Sunday so loads of time to catch up before hand.

• Advertisement

I thought Anderson vs Naito was excellent, MOTN for me. Anderson looked sharp, and Naito's selling and the bumps he took were out of this world.

Okada did what he could with Fale but it was always an uphill task.

Semi finals look good, particularly Shibata vs Goto.

Advertisement