Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Bookmarking that, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

That Ishii vs. Shibata match is still just... wow, something else. Did we ever find out if or how much they were injured after that, concussions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

That Ishii vs. Shibata match is still just... wow, something else. Did we ever find out if or how much they were injured after that, concussions?

Believe it or not those two are meant to be grand. It is Tanahashi and Okada would are the walking wounded. Meltzer wrote in the Observer this week:
    From people who spent time with the New Japan guys this past week, the message to me was that what I’ve been writing about Hiroshi Tanahashi only scratches the surface. It was basically to enjoy watching Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura in big-time singles main events while you can, because their backs are thrashed and when fans aren’t around they move around like old men. It’s clear New Japan has to build around Okada and there is concern going forward because he needs opponents. The big difference is that New Japan has three guys in their developmental program, WWE has something like 60 or 70, and the Mexican promotions have so many young guys all over the country who get regular work so while Japan may appear to have a resurgence, and New Japan financially has more than doubled income in just two years, this may be just a temporary high period.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Considering the great job they've done elevating new guys so far I wouldn't worry too much, plus they could pilfer the Sanada's of this world from the smaller companies who have a lot of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Considering the great job they've done elevating new guys so far I wouldn't worry too much, plus they could pilfer the Sanada's of this world from the smaller companies who have a lot of potential.

That's not as easy as it sounds. Japanese wrestlers can be notoriously loyal to either their company or their mentor. Most of the wrestlers who jump ship do so because their former company doesn't pay them enough or their mentor quits, forms a new company and needs them to fill up the roster. If or when Sanada returns to Japan full time I bet he'll be wherever Keiji Muto is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jamie OD wrote: »
    That's not as easy as it sounds. Japanese wrestlers can be notoriously loyal to either their company or their mentor. Most of the wrestlers who jump ship do so because their former company doesn't pay them enough or their mentor quits, forms a new company and needs them to fill up the roster. If or when Sanada returns to Japan full time I bet he'll be wherever Keiji Muto is.

Muta works the odd show for NJPW. Don't see why he would object to Sanada assuming he is promoted as Wrestle-1. Pretty sure Ibushi was always promoted as DDT. Likewise with several others. It doesn't seem to be an issue for NJPW if they want them on the card.

Bit behind the times on it but the translations of Tanahashi's autobiography have been tremendous so far:
    http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.ie/2014/05/hiroshi-tanahashi-talks-about-his.html

Voices of Wrestling talked about it on their podcast last night:
    https://twitter.com/puro_yottsume/status/469695813195558912

In the late 80s Shinya Hashimoto, Masahiro Chono, and Keiji Mutoh all entered into the Wrestling business together from the Class of 1984 of the New Japan Dojo they went on to carry New Japan for a long time.

People hoped that Tanahashi, Nakamura and Shibata about two decades later would do the same thing. However New Japan business fell due to no fault of the three and Shibata left to do MMA and he was notoriously difficult to detail with. The new owners of New Japan brought Shibata back when business recovered much to the upset of the lockerroom. Essentially Tanahashi tears strips out of Shibata and his stiff Wrestling style in the book and it is great.

Whatever about Shibata being an ass out of the ring, he is entertaining as anything inside it. I love his stiff style and unlike a lot of others who do similar, it is completely believable. Shibata looks like he could fcuk you up with ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

KENTA's last match in NOAH not a match of the year or anything but very enjoyable and after watching alot of early NOAH the last few months for the best of Japan 2000s project it was pretty cool to see Marufuji and KENTA teaming again.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1w972a_naomichi-marufuji-kenta-vs-takashi-sugiura-katsuhiko-nakajima-noah_sport

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Japanese Wrestling Roundtable feat. Chris Hero, KUSHIDA, Ryuichi Kawakami, Nikkan Lee Alan4l and Yujin the translator.

This was recorded over at WXW 16 Carat back in March.

• Advertisement

Love Chris Hero talking about anything Wrestling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Edit: Jesus I just realised I definitely put this in the wrong thread. Meant to go in the video thread......

G1 schedule: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/06/21/njpw-g1-climax-24-schedule/

The 21st, 26th, and 28th in particular pique my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Definitely ordering the whole thing again but hope we get longer time to watch it in this year. As much as I enjoyed it, it was tough going last year.

Voices of Wrestling website is running a G-1 prediction contest:
    Pleased to announce Voices of Wrestling will be hosting a massive G1 Climax Pick'em Contest. Details and sign-up can be found at http://bit.ly/VOW-G1PickEm.

Prizes (courtesy of IVPvideo):

1st Place - 15 free discs from http://www.IVPvideos.com
    2nd Place - 10 free discs from http://www.IVPvideos.com
    3rd Place - 5 free discs from http://www.IVPvideos.com

This contest will be picking ALL of the matches, we explain the scoring system in the form as well as it deviates a bit from traditional G1 scoring. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

G1 has started hasn't it? Any signs on youtube or dailymotion yet?

Was on this morning. The last four matches were fantastic.

Considering it didn't stand out much on paper, night 2 was a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Smith - Nakamura was brilliant. Nakamura is over as anything!

Yeah really enjoyed night two imo it was better then night one overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Where can I watch these lads?

Legally?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Asking for or giving links to illegal streams is forbidden by boards and is against the charter, it's tempting yes especially with regards the Japanese wrestling that may not be as easy to obtain but please don't do so on here or we will have to act as moderators and we don't want to have to warn, infract or ban anyone cos they want to watch wrestling but will have to if this warning isn't heeded

Night 4 is awesome. Styles/Naito, Nakamura/Nagata, Anderson/Okada and Tanahashi/Shibata are all at least very good or better. Honma/Ishii is fantastic.

Good thing Paddy Power doesn't take bets on New Japan or I'd be broke. Some of these results!

Ishii vs Honma was out of this world good,Ishii can't go wrong and Honma is really making up for Ibushi missing the tournament.

Shibata vs Tanahashi was really great aswell.

I know it's only September but I'm already excited for Wrestle Kingdom. Okada vs. Styles likely as the main event.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I know it's only September but I'm already excited for Wrestle Kingdom. Okada vs. Styles likely as the main event.

And it's looks like they're building to Shibata vs Nakamura aswell.

Just Finished a project called Best of Japan 2000s oh man never doing anything like it again,people were given a list of matches ranging from must see to recommended so for some reason my great idea was to watch them all which i think was 300 matches.

I've finally finished and here's my final top ten

f6eExGh.png

Overall I've enjoyed it and it's broadened by knowledge as a fan and one of my greatest joys was finding Old Man Tenryu who in his late 40s and early 50s was one of the best in the world at that time.

Although a big negative is I've completely burned out on 07 to 09 Japanese wrestling which is a shame.

New Japan launch their own version of the WWE Network. They are even using the 9.99 gimmick. It is 999yen/$8.41.

http://njpwworld.com/

Prince Devitt's matches for example
    http://njpwworld.com/search/tag/man_335

• Advertisement

Advertisement