Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Believe in god not religion

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

In answer to OP: Fence-sitter

In before the fighting starts :P

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

karlog wrote: »
    Is there a certain word for someone who believe's in God and not organised religion?

Engrish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yes

Hevenly catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Is there a certain word for someone who believe's in God and not organised religion?
    pagan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

In my experience, anybody who claims to believe in god but not religions is a little bit mixed up. I admit that those who I know who hold this position may not be representative of the group as a whole, but they are not particularly logical people. They don't ever consider the possibility that god (assumed in this context to be the Judeo-Christian god) and religion are one and the same, and that to eliminate religion from the equation leaves you with a god of your own creation, very different to that which you became familiar with in your indoctrination. They forgot about religion, but hold onto the image of god put forward by it, which is illogical.

A further category of god/no religion people are the lazy minded individuals who don't believe strongly enough to commit whole heartedly to religion (going to mass, praying, actually observing any of its tenants) and yet have not put enough thought into the area to declare themselves atheists or agnostics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I believe in the possibility of God, a higher power, but I do not believe in religion at all. Religion is invented by other people. I tend not to believe what other people tell me. Especially power hungry men. I do like the stories though.

To answer to the previous post, I do pray. I pray in my own ways. To pray in a place of spirituality where others are collectivley doing it is nice but not for me. I don't see the relevance of worshipping images and statues. these again are other peoples conceptions and interpretations. Why should they also be mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Godboy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

marbar wrote: »
    agnostics believe in the possibility of a god don't they? that there might be one, not that there is one

having a hard time explainging this to the gf who's trying to get me to go to mass

shes probabley hassling you to go because her mammy is hassling her to hassle you to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭sub-x

marbar wrote: »
    agnostics believe in the possibility of a god don't they? that there might be one, not that there is one

having a hard time explainging this to the gf who's trying to get me to go to mass

Nope.
    greyed wrote: »
    I'd call myself agnostic. I don't tend to believe there is a god in any form, but I cannot say this for sure, so i'll leave myself open to all posibilities.

This is pretty much what Agnosticism is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

OP, Religion & Spirituality is that way --->

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Anyone think religion divides people. For e.g people focusing on who's denomination is better/right, which church does the most community service, which church brings in the most money, etc?

Who goes to church because theirs brings in the most money? Utterly absurd.

Likewise, what about those of us who don't really see their denomination as being above their faith? Many people are non-denominational Christians, or are Christians who would support ecumenism.

I think religion opens more doors than it closes personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

galwayrush wrote: »
    Salt(hill) into wounds .Ouch. :(

Fixed.

Advertisement