Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike road races. Should they be banned?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

MMmm, part of the thing I like about it is that it's not huge business. Nobody would get involved dreaming of huge profits ( unlike say boxing).
    More so for hospitality, try booking a hotel room or B&B in the Isle of Man on TT week. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

More so for hospitality, try booking a hotel room or B&B in the Isle of Man on TT week. :eek:
    TT week in the isle of Mann is awesome .Bikers from the far corners of the earth and the island becomes a sea of bikes as far as the eye can see .There are fatal casualtys at TT every year and some bikers dice with death, knowing full well the consequences .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Tried to get a booking for myself and a friend a couple of years back during TT week and not a hope!
    I don't think it should be banned, but then I happen to like motorbike racing. I think boxing should be baned but then I think is the most ridiculous sport ever and have no interest in it.

S'pose it depends on what sport one happens to favour...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No I personally don't think it should be banned. It is all part of the occupational hazard. Sad as it is to see a young life lost like this. The race are very well organised etc in terms of health and safety. The risk can not be removed entirely in any case. Why not ban motorcycles altogether considering that they have a disproportionate number of fatalities with other road users. Have seen a few road racers quoted saying that they don't use bikes for commuting and think that the risk there are insane.

Latchy wrote: »
    TT week in the isle of Mann is awesome .Bikers from the far corners of the earth and the island becomes a sea of bikes as far as the eye can see .There are fatal casualtys at TT every year and some bikers dice with death, knowing full well the consequences .
    They are very slow to publish casualty figures, I refused to get up on my scoot on "Mad Sunday" (The day Joe public and any other tom dick and harry can use the circut).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

just wondering does anyone know will the race still go ahead tomorrow?

They are very slow to publish casualty figures, I refused to get up on my scoot on "Mad Sunday" (The day Joe public and any other tom dick and harry can use the circut).
    That's it ,out of the thousends who are very sensible there are always a few guys who want to test the boundrys of their nerves and they end up being decapitated .

Latchy wrote: »
    That's it ,out of the thousends who are very sensible there are always a few guys who want to test the boundrys of their nerves and they end up being decapitated .
    These same idiots jeopardies other road users, thats why I wouldn't be seen near the circuit on Mad Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

jape wrote: »
    They're only nordies..

jape, I hope you get killed by a scaffolding pole falling off a truck and skewering you through the head. Or mangled under the wheels of a tractor. Any violent premature death in fact - ideally with your children watching. Scumbag.

OP, there are risks in everything and most road races are without casualty - but like rock climbing or base jumping when some something goes wrong it can be catastrophic.

RIP to anyone who died racing a bike - keep 'em lit...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jape, I hope you get killed by a scaffolding pole falling off a truck and skewering you through the head. Or mangled under the wheels of a tractor. Any violent premature death in fact - ideally with your children watching. Scumbag.

Thats a bit harsh innit

Im sure he was only been satirical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Banned.

These same idiots jeopardies other road users, thats why I wouldn't be seen near the circuit on Mad Sunday.
    Yep ,keep well away or at least to a safe distance .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

KamiKazi wrote: »
    The racers know the dangers a lot more than you do, yet they still enter at their own will. Live and let live, and all that.

Say's a Kamikazi!!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

jape wrote: »
    They're only nordies..
    Turns out he was from Moate assho1e.
    The victim of yesterday's motorcycle crash in Co Meath has been named locally as Padraig Campbell from Moate in Co Westmeath.
    http://news.eircom.net/topstories/16112946/

McArmalite wrote: »
    assho1e.
    banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It should not be banned, in the same way that horse riding, lion taming and sky diving should not be banned.

Jape banned for trolling on full thread re-read. Please report offensive posts rather than insult the poster on thread. Keeps things more civil that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

What about smoking, alcohol should they be baned? MCI Medical Team will gladly except donations from anyone that wants to contribute to making racing safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

As said before, a banning should only be considered in the situation where the spectator deaths are actually higher bya good bit than the participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's a dangerous sport and it is sad on the families of fallen riders but you never see the families of deceased riders call for it to be banned even after such a great loss. It says a lot about the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

McArmalite wrote: »
    Turns out he was from Moate assho1e.
    The victim of yesterday's motorcycle crash in Co Meath has been named locally as Padraig Campbell from Moate in Co Westmeath.
    http://news.eircom.net/topstories/16112946/

hes from athlone.
    his dad is my next door neighbour in moate, but they grew up in athlone.

i understand what you all say about they know the risks..
    thats sadly no comfort to their families.

i wouldnt ban it either, but it leaves me just sad to see the chap gone, and his father broken hearted.

Unless the spectator death toll is as high as the riders, don't ban it. It's only the people that are OK with the risks that will race. May be tough on the family etc. but thats something the racer should think about before racing.

There was a spectator killed a few hours ago during a road race in Antrim

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090808/tuk-spectator-killed-during-road-race-f858358.html

There was a spectator killed a few hours ago during a road race in Antrim

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090808/tuk-spectator-killed-during-road-race-f858358.html

its been a rough season for road races :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It has been a tough year for road racing. A few deaths along the way. Ive said it before, ill say it again - the riders know the risks and accept this as part of the sport. If they didnt know or accept the wouldnt ride/race.

GBX wrote: »
    It has been a tough year for road racing. A few deaths along the way. Ive said it before, ill say it again - the riders know the risks and accept this as part of the sport. If they didnt know or accept the wouldnt ride/race.

yea, i know.. its just one of those things i suppose, and yea, i know alot of guys that race or are into bikes and there is a great community spirit among them

There was a HUGE biker turn out at padraigs funderal.. and a guard of honour of atleast 60 bikes.. all of them had his race number stuck on their bike.

GBX wrote: »

There could be more safety measures though, if not for riders then only for spectators

It's the deaths and injuries to bystanders that'll be the demise of road racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭rs

I commute on a motorbike every day. However, I think road racing on motorbikes is crazy and should be banned. It's just way too dangerous.

Motorbike racing is great, but it should only happen on race tracks where there is proper run off areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

orourkeda wrote: »
    If someone is stupid enough to get up on a bike and risk their life, let them. Just dont come back whingeing when it happens

Stupid enough to get on a bike hmmmmm.
    I wouldn't call any one stupid who rides a bike Id certainly call people who drive car completely stupid considering 50% of the time there the ones that have caused the fatality or crash. Having owned a bike I know to well how motorists just don't notice you even with lights on. :rolleyes:

its unfair to say that.

Personally I used to live beside 4 road racer's there nice "quite" bunch of lads
    there great at what they do and they enjoy it, i relies that death is soemthing that is sad to a degree but at the end of the day people have the right to take risks in there life even if its disagreed with and is very hedonistic, but if you enjoy it then go for it. You shouldnt be held to the merssey of what other people think/beleave in because its your life.
    wtf should they have dessions made for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I know lots of people that lost relations from Motorbikes, My dad has had many injuries over the years, He refuses to let me go near them, And hes right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

No definitely not, sure it can be dangerous but so are a lot of things.

People should have the free will to chose how they live their lives, especially if its something like motorsport which, relatively speaking, is harmless. No need to go all nanny state on their ass for doing what they love doing.

Advertisement