Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike road races. Should they be banned?

Options
  • 18-07-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, i really dislike proposing the ban of anything, however this sport is one that seems to take too many young lives..

Last week beside me in Walderstown a young man was killed in a practice race and again today a brother of a guy i know was killed today in Kells in a practice race in preparation for the race tomorrow.

The thing about this sport is that, there is no room for error in this country becase of the ditches, walls, trees, and telephone polls, where as with track races you can spin off and NOT hit a wall..

The difficulty i see is that there doesnt seem to be any logical way to make road races safer.. so is it wrong to suggest it be banned? I understand that they enter thse competitions on their own free will and they are adults and make their own decisions, but the % of deaths in relation to the amount of races make it one of the most if not the most lethal sports in the country.

I really feel sorry for the familys and of course the riders..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Maybe they should just ban ditches, walls, trees and telephone poles instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The racers know the dangers a lot more than you do, yet they still enter at their own will. Live and let live, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Unless the spectator death toll is as high as the riders, don't ban it. It's only the people that are OK with the risks that will race. May be tough on the family etc. but thats something the racer should think about before racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Simply no. The people taking part know the risks they run. They love the sport and I've yet to hear the family of a fallen rider asking for road races to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I'm not a fan of bikes .....but .....

as was mentioned earlier .... the bikers involved know the risks and know what is likely to happen if they crash..... as do the spectators (even they know theres a chance a bike or rider could crash into them) .....so live and let live !!

Bike road races - let them race!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No way!

The guys know the risks and still are willing to do it.

People become soldiers too, and politicians :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

snyper wrote: »
    Firstly, i really take too many young riders..
    Snyper :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Yeah on some level I'd like to see it stopped. But I really think banning it would only lead to races being held without the marshals and the medical support which currently exists.
    I chose not to go and spectate anymore, a few years ago. However I wouldn't like to see my aversion enforced by law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

DubMedic wrote: »
    Snyper :eek:.

If you're gonna misquote someone at least be funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If you're gonna misquote someone at least be funny.
    Who said I was trying to be funny?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Firstly, i really dislike proposing the ban of anything, however this sport is one that seems to take too many young lives.

More young people die from driving on public roads than road races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If someone is stupid enough to get up on a bike and risk their life, let them. Just dont come back whingeing when it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Firstly, i really dislike proposing the ban of anything, however this sport is one that seems to take too many young lives..

Last week beside me in Walderstown a young man was killed in a practice race and again today a brother of a guy i know was killed today in Kells in a practice race in preparation for the race tomorrow.

The thing about this sport is that, there is no room for error in this country becase of the ditches, walls, trees, and telephone polls, where as with track races you can spin off and NOT hit a wall..

The difficulty i see is that there doesnt seem to be any logical way to make road races safer.. so is it wrong to suggest it be banned? I understand that they enter thse competitions on their own free will and they are adults and make their own decisions, but the % of deaths in relation to the amount of races make it one of the most if not the most lethal sports in the country.

They're only nordies..

More young people die from driving on public roads than road races.
    Yeah more people die from old age too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it need to be banned? Speeding is illegal, and they'd be arrested before they hurt themselves, providing they're caught in the act. Why does it need to be banned on top of that? The deciding factor is really whether a Garda is around or not... no?

orourkeda wrote: »
    If someone is stupid enough to get up on a bike and risk their life, let them. Just dont come back whingeing when it happens
    I'm sure people are dying to come back from the graveyard to whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

orourkeda wrote: »

The way I see it if they find someway to come back they have earned the right to complain :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does it need to be banned? Speeding is illegal, and they'd be arrested before they hurt themselves, providing they're caught in the act. Why does it need to be banned on top of that? The deciding factor is really whether a Garda is around or not... no?
    Did you read the OP before quoting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

jape wrote: »
    They're only nordies..
    What an ignorant post. :rolleyes:

A lot of bike racers come from up north, and quite a few race from Down south too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Absolutly not, the riders all know the risks involved and will take the chance. You may as well ban rock climbing.

OP put it to a poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Road racing is a part of the bike culture in Ireland. My cousin is one of the bike racers and lost a friend recently.

These guys know what they're doing as do most bikers when they turn the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

PCPhoto wrote: »
    as was mentioned earlier .... the bikers involved know the risks and know what is likely to happen if they crash

Their families also have to come to accept it in a way too. I knew Martin Finnegan, his family and my own are good friends. Amongst many others, he left behind a wife and daughter.

I sit on the fence on this one. A dangerous sport yes, but he was passionate about racing. I don't think he would have wanted to die any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Abigayle wrote: »
    I don't think he would have wanted to die any other way.

I don't know if this is shared by other bikers but if I was going to choose a way to go out it would be on my bike. This is the place I'm happiest and I'm sure its the same with a lot of other bikers.

Absolutly not, the riders all know the risks involved and will take the chance. You may as well ban rock climbing.

OP put it to a poll.
    KTRIC wrote: »
    Road racing is a part of the bike culture in Ireland. My cousin is one of the bike racers and lost a friend recently.

These guys know what they're doing as do most bikers when they turn the key.
    I know where you're coming from, but I'm still curious. While I wouldn't support a ban, I' rather it didn't exist. Lets face it, on a small planet, road racing only continues here and in the IOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yes. Ban it and anything that causes bystanders to be killed ever.

For the love of god, we can walk can't we?! What need do we have for buses in Dublin, or trains to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

No.

As several other posters have said the racers know better than anyone the dangers and still choose to do it.

I'm also fairly certain a higher percentage of people on motorbikes are killed just using the roads normally, than of those involved in road racing.

Still, it's a lot more dangerous than racing on a track, due to the absence of run offs etc, and presence of trees / posts etc..

KTRIC wrote: »
    I don't know if this is shared by other bikers but if I was going to choose a way to go out it would be on my bike. This is the place I'm happiest and I'm sure its the same with a lot of other bikers.

Mmm, no I always imagined going out assassinating an American Prresident, or maybe an ex Taoisigh. But that would be just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have been a good fan of road racing for a long time, been to the Isle of Man TT, Skerries, Athey, Ulster Grand Prix and the Northwest 200, I saw Joe Dunlop race at his last season before he got killed and attended his funeral. The turnout at his funeral in itself was a testament to road racing and its support. It is also a huge business with spin offs and bringing revenue to where ever they are held.

It is also a huge business with spin offs and bringing revenue to where ever they are held.
    MMmm, part of the thing I like about it is that it's not huge business. Nobody would get involved dreaming of huge profits ( unlike say boxing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

No it shouldn't be baned, in fact everything possible should be done to protect it.

Advertisement