Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blackouts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

You're getting off lightly OP.
    I woke up in a cell with a blackout one Sunday morning when I was 17.
    Hadn't a clue what had happened or how I'd gotten there.

A Garda came around to check on me and I asked him what had I done.
    "You don't remember?", says he.
    When I said no he just shook his head and said that I'd gotten in a fight and attacked some guy with an ashtray.
    He said that they'd either be charging me with manslaughter or attempted murder, depending on whether yer man pulled out of the coma or not.
    He told me they'd be holding me there for a while before transporting me to prison where I'd be held on remand.
    He left me to stew there for an hour or so until he came back and told me to go home.
    Turned out they'd just picked me up to teach me a lesson after seeing me trying to stagger home at 2am.

I remember as I was leaving he shouted "take it easy now Killer" as the lot of them fell around laughing at me.
    What a shower of cnunts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

You're getting off lightly OP.
    I woke up in a cell with a blackout one Sunday morning when I was 17.
    Hadn't a clue what had happened or how I'd gotten there.

When I said no he just shook his head and said that I'd gotten in a fight and attacked some guy with an ashtray.
    He said that they'd either be charging me with manslaughter or attempted murder, depending on whether yer man pulled out of the coma or not.
    He told me they'd be holding me there for a while before transporting me to prison where I'd be held on remand.
    He left me to stew there for an hour or so until he came back and told me to go home.
    Turned out they'd just picked me up to teach me a lesson after seeing me trying to stagger home at 2am.

I remember as I was leaving he shouted "take it easy now Killer" as the lot of them fell around laughing at me.
    What a shower of cnunts.

heh heh!! thats well funny.who says the shades dont have a sense of humour!!:D

One of the worst blackouts for me was getting pissed with this huge rugby player from fiji that I randomly got talking to at the Airport in Brisbane. When I said I was Irish the f**ker produced a litre of whiskey from his luggage:cool:the next thing I knew I woke up on a bench at a Train station several hundred miles from brisbane with no luggage...at all.

At least I didnt have a sore arse:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

A bloke I know killed someone for real in a blackout. He doesn't drink anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

A bloke I know killed someone for real in a blackout. He doesn't drink anymore.

There has been cases of people being so drunk that they have committed murder while allegedly being completely under the control of an alcohol induced stupor.

AFAIK some people have actually been acquitted of murder as a result of this so-called automaton defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

a few years ago there was a report about rapes being blamed on spiked drinks...

"A Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children, which is investigating the effect of alcohol on hospital attendances, heard last week that there had been more than a four-fold increase in the number of requests by women attending the Rotunda Hospital sexual assault treatment unit (SATU) for the staff to determine whether they had been sexually assaulted.

They were unable to remember because of alcohol intake.

Many of the women at the unit believed their drink had been spiked with some date-rape drug, but according to the director of SATU, Dr Mary Holohan, while toxicology reports have never found the presence of such drugs, they do show the level of alcohol in someone's system is often so high it would normally be found in a coroner's report on a dead person.

Ms O'Briain acknowledged there was a binge drinking culture in Ireland, but said whether someone was drinking did not change the fact they had been assaulted or raped. "

so a blackout may not be a spiked drink,merely too much drink. this does not take away from the crime of rape,but it does highlight the irish love of drinking to excess.

or drinking to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The blackouts could either be great or horrendous depending on the photos that emerge on Facebook the day after...

Just had a quick read up online about blackouts. Apparently it's not a case of people forgetting things but of the alcohol having an effect on the brain that causes it to stop forming memories in the first place.

So one possible way to check if someone is in the middle of a blackout is to ask them a question like who were they talking to five minutes ago. Another test which might work is to ask them to remember three words. A couple of minutes later ask them what the three words were and because their brain is not forming memories they won't be able to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

dsmythy wrote: »
    The blackouts could either be great or horrendous depending on the photos that emerge on Facebook the day after...

Just had a quick read up online about blackouts. Apparently it's not a case of people forgetting things but of the alcohol having an effect on the brain that causes it to stop forming memories in the first place.

So one possible way to check if someone is in the middle of a blackout is to ask them a question like who were they talking to five minutes ago. Another test which might work is to ask them to remember three words. A couple of minutes later ask them what the three words were and because their brain is not forming memories they won't be able to tell you.

God that's pretty scary! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sudzy

I get the worst blackouts! I hit the beer hard most nights and usually end up forgetting a good hour or so!

One epic session at a festival in Baltimore, USA. My brother and I were hard on the beer, being only 19 aswell (drinking age is 21). Anyway, pretty drunk by the time the music was over, I had lost my shirt, and we tried to blag our way into the VIP afterparty. Wasn't successful for the first 30min then I looked down the road and saw an open door, and told my bro.
    So we left the main door looking disappointed to the bouncers, but just walked straight into the side door, no security or nothing.

So in this VIP afterparty, with free bar, me and my bro jus perched up at the bar and ordered lik four tequilas each and 2 pints every go. Last thing i remember was seeing Kanye West at the far side of the party surrounded by loads of people, so I legged it over to try chat to him and my bro said four massive black guys kicked me out.

Blank for prob 5hrs after that. When I came to, I was sittin outside with this local black girl just talking. 6 miles from the festival. Dunno how I got there, but was some effort getting back for the second day!

Insane session altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Nisroc

The older you are the more common, due to drinking, they become. I gave up drinking loads when out as I had trouble remembering the end of nights, not that I did anything bad. But even these days if I were to have a few beers and decide to watch a flick, while having a few more beers I can't bloody remember the last half or quarter of it.

It is like the brain says to itself "Not a lot of point in me staying on, auto pilot should be grand, hope he don't have to go for a p1ss later"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What a shower of cnunts.
    Hmm pity you didn't remember. It would be the best thing to say to the cops whether you did remember or not. But if you did remember and they pulled that trick they they would have come back an hour or so later after letting you "stew" only to find you apparently dead on the ground with a pair of fake slit wrists. How d'ya feel now killer cop.
    soups05 wrote: »
    Many of the women at the unit believed their drink had been spiked with some date-rape drug, but according to the director of SATU, Dr Mary Holohan, while toxicology reports have never found the presence of such drugs, they do show the level of alcohol in someone's system is often so high it would normally be found in a coroner's report on a dead person.

Ms O'Briain acknowledged there was a binge drinking culture in Ireland, but said whether someone was drinking did not change the fact they had been assaulted or raped. "
    Alcohol is the number one date rape drug of choice. In fact I think there has never been a single case (in ireland anyway) of GHB being found in any alleged drug rape victims body. Many doctors are actively trying to get the ban on it lifting because of this nonsense myth about it being used as a date rape drug, while really the reason it is banned is the massive threat it poses to the drinks industry (ironically promoting the REAL date rape drug).
    dsmythy wrote: »
    The memories can never be recalled, even under hypnosis it is called alcoholic amnesia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(alcohol-related_amnesia)

this is the interesting bit.
    Blackouts are quite often associated with the consumption of large amounts of alcohol; however surveys of drinkers experiencing blackouts have indicated that they are not directly related to the amount of alcohol consumed. Respondents reported they frequently recalled having "drunk as much or more without memory loss," compared to instances of blacking out.[7] Subsequent research has indicated that blackouts are most likely caused by a rapid increase in a person's blood-alcohol concentration. One study, in particular, resulted in subjects being stratified easily into two groups, those who consumed alcohol very quickly, and blacked out, and those who did not black out by drinking alcohol slowly, despite being extremely intoxicated by the end of the study.
    I find that myself, it would be spirits more likely to be able to cause a sudden rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Never actually blacked out, but my memory goes to shít when I drink more than six beers.
    Remembering things I did are always fun.

Advertisement