Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it fair to have family of Simon Mcginley housed by the HSE or social welfare

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just wondered what thoughts or opinions people may have on this one. maybe i am way off the mark?
    Further to the recent headline news highlighting the sentence of Rapist Simon Mcginley it has come to light that his Wife and family are currently living in what was once considered to be one of the best private residential estates in south drogheda obviously being paid for and funded by the HSE / social welfare and taxpayers where the so called mother of this rapist comes and goes seemingly without a care in the world & the apparent belief that her rapist son has done no harm, and so does the wife they have come such a long way in the last 12 years when he comitted his first rape when they were apparently living on the side of the road in a caravan now here they are living in with people who have paid huge amounts of money to buy houses to live in peace, safey and comfort.
    My questions are:
    1) should we all have to pay to house the families of people who openly defend an animal such as Simon Mcginley as well as condone his vile crimes and ridicule his victims. My understanding of antisocial behaviour in corporation and council estates is that it is unacceptable and no longer tolerated by the corporation and council and the families of offenders of antisocial behaviour arent housed or are evicted? am i incorrect? is this whole thing not taking Antisocial behaviour to a whole other level?
    2) should the mother of Simon Mcginleys children be allowed to bring up children when she apparently believes it is ok for her husband to rape anyone who takes his fancy and their grandmother is apparently of the same belief, what message is this giving these young impressionable boys and girls?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just wondered what thoughts or opinions people may have on this one. maybe i am way off the mark?
    Further to the recent headline news highlighting the sentence of Rapist Simon Mcginley it has come to light that his Wife and family are currently living in what was once considered to be one of the best private residential estates in south drogheda obviously being paid for and funded by the HSE / social welfare ...

Do you work in Social Welfare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Further to the recent headline news highlighting the sentence of Rapist Simon Mcginley it has come to light that his Wife and family are currently living in what was once considered to be one of the best private residential estates in south drogheda

It can't be that good of an estate if he's living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

According to the Irish constitution its fair, and we chose to live by that constitution so unless you're planning a revolt theres not alot to say about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

According to the Irish constitution its fair, and we chose to live by that constitution so unless you're planning a revolt theres not alot to say about it

Pitchforks and flames at the ready...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 5oaksdrogheda

no, but c'mon id say its a fair guess thats whos paying the rent for them, unlikely that theyre coughing up themselves, sure they dont work, but i could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

no, but c'mon id say its a fair guess thats whos paying the rent for them, unlikely that theyre coughing up themselves, sure they dont work, but i could be wrong.

C'mon, it's fair to say that the estate you're talking about is 5 Oaks Drogheda.

Seems like a case of "not on my doorstep".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The plural of anecdotes is not data.

Sorry kid, but you'll have to do better than half-assed conjecture.. well actually, no you won't, this is AH.

But i'm not buyin' it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Didn't he have a daughter close in age to his first victim. Wonder if his daughter will be the next one to bring a case against him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you expect them to live on the street? The kids need somewhere to live, their dad may be a monster but that's not their fault.

TheZohan wrote: »
    C'mon, it's fair to say that the estate you're talking about is 5 Oaks Drogheda.

C'mon would you want it on yours? thankfully they arent on mine, but arent far enough away that i would be happy to see girls out to play when that rapist is relaeased
    this is a big estate with alot of doors steps but its hard to miss people coming and going when theyre splashed all over the news papers and evening news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

TheZohan wrote: »

'Not on my doorstep' is a particular fav of 5OaksDrogheda if you have a look at her post history...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

C'mon would you want it on yours? thankfully they arent on mine, but arent far enough away that i would be happy to see girls out to play when that rapist is relaeased
    this is a big estate with alot of doors steps but its hard to miss people coming and going when theyre splashed all over the news papers and evening news.

You should invite them round to your place for tea and biccies, and discuss local affairs whilst playing croquet on the lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Do you expect them to live on the street? The kids need somewhere to live, their dad may be a monster but that's not their fault.

+1. The children of this scumbag didn't rape his victims, you can't visit the sins of the father upon his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Do we convict/punish people based on the sins of the father now? I missed that addition to the Irish constitution ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

so have you managed to run that settled family out yet, 5oaks?

or are you adding this family to your list of people who arent good enough for you and your estate.

and to be frank 5 oaks never had that great of a name in the first place, it is just another boring estate in drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

and to be frank 5 oaks never had that great of a name in the first place, it is just another boring estate in drogheda
    Also Drogheda? Seriously people want to live in Drogheda? I can understand not wanting to live in a city but it's either live in a real proper urban centre or so rural that even mobile signal would be a problem.

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2004/12/15/story22826.asp
    considering the news i sort of think i may have been right to be worried when this family came along in the first place http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0717/breaking35.htm
    obviously the family cannot be held responsible for the sins of the father, however i am dumbfounded that the family apparently condone it and think it is fine to have comitted such a crime and ruined other peoples lives. somebody brought this rapist up to believe that this is acceptable behaviour and as his mother and his wife have stated in the news "he is a good man" What kind of an example is that to set for anyone let alone children.

I happily would say that i would prefer not to have any people who consider rape & violence apparently fueled by drugs or alcohol or anything living anywhere that children & families are playing or living and i feel its unfortunate thats not in our constitution.

http://archives.tcm.ie/westernpeople/2004/12/15/story22826.asp
    considering the news i sort of think i may have been right to be worried when this family came along in the first place http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0717/breaking35.htm
    obviously the family cannot be held responsible for the sins of the father, however i am dumbfounded that the family apparently condone it and think it is fine to have comitted such a crime and ruined other peoples lives. somebody brought this rapist up to believe that this is acceptable behaviour and as his mother and his wife have stated in the news "he is a good man" What kind of an example is that to set for anyone let alone children.

I happily would say that i would prefer not to have any people who consider rape & violence apparently fueled by drugs or alcohol or anything living anywhere that children & families are playing or living and i feel its unfortunate thats not in our constitution.

And where exactly don't children and families play and live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Hate to tell ya but there are pedos/rapists living in every 5th house. Thats what a detective once told my Mam.

All this outrage over the ones ye know about, its nonsense. The place is crawling with the feckers.

Its not the ones you know about you need to worry about its the 'respectable' be-suited pillar of the residents committee that everyone automatically trusts you wanna watch out for.

People dont like to believe it, but rapists and pedo's dont look like monsters. They look like your next door neighbour.

M50 roundabout? Oh, snap.

• Advertisement

sorry i missed the key word in that :o
    people who consider rape & violence apparently fueled by drugs or alcohol or anything ACCEPTABLE living anywhere that children & families are playing or living,

It just shouldnt be acceptable or condoned, but im starting to think based on feedback here im backwards in may thinking. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

sorry i missed the key word in that :o
    people who consider rape & violence apparently fueled by drugs or alcohol or anything ACCEPTABLE living anywhere that children & families are playing or living,

It just shouldnt be acceptable or condoned, but im starting to think based on feedback here im backwards in may thinking. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You're missing my point. Where are these families supposed to live? There are no places where there aren't other families. And in any case, his family have not been convicted of a crime and so can live where they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where does it actually say that the rapist's family condones rape? All I can make out is a bunch of deluded individuals who think that he's innocent, despite all of the evidence and convictions stacked up against him.

This delusion is par for the course with some families.

You're missing my point. Where are these families supposed to live? There are no places where there aren't other families. And in any case, his family have not been convicted of a crime and so can live where they want.

I just dont think that there should be any families that condone that behaviour housed by the state who clearly say the behaviour is wrong ( he's been put away ) and the wife and mother say his behaviour is all ok, its crazy to think anyone can condone it

But you have made a fair point so Ill leave it at that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Hang on a second now. Where did they condone it? He's their family, they probably think it's their duty to put up a united front. The mother is obviously mentally unwell and the wife is most likely distraught. Perhaps they don't know what to do? Maybe he's convinced them it's not true. You can't really take the simplistic view of "she called him a good man so she obviously thinks what he did is fine."

His family didn't rape anyone and I find it disgusting that you want them essentially punished for what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

I dont know where his children should live but after seeing his mother on T.V the other night. I would suggest that the best place for her to live would be somewhere in the middle of the Irish sea.

Just wondering is Mcginley a member of the travelling community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

enry wrote: »
    Just wondering is Mcginley a member of the travelling community.

Thats relevant how exactly?

I just dont think that there should be any families that condone that behaviour housed by the state who clearly say the behaviour is wrong ( he's been put away ) and the wife and mother say his behaviour is all ok, its crazy to think anyone can condone it

But you have made a fair point so Ill leave it at that. ;)

Ok but you're making the assumption that the state is housing them. All conjecture.

And even if they are, so all families of criminals have no entitlement to housing? How is that going to solve anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

It's not really relevant at all

but what is relevant is that you have 2 women looking after small children who think a multiple rapist is "a good man"

seriously Social Services should take the kids into care, surely ist abuse to raise kids to think rape is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I'm glad I don't live in 5 Oaks Drogheda. I'd hate to see one of my neighbours slagging me off every time I logged on to Boards.

Advertisement