Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in turmoil please help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sweetheart

TheZohan wrote: »
    Right, well either of those breeds take a lot of looking after.

To be honest if you didn't even ask what breed of dog it was you might be better off leaving this one go.

Dogs require a LOT of care, looking after and tlc. You have to do your research first, find a breed that suits you; will you be able to walk it as much as it needs, do you have enough space etc.

They're cute when their puppies but they can grow quite big. Do some research and then call into a dog rescue home.

i did ask andshe said it was a lab but my friends seemed to have mixed views on whether it was a lab or a retriever but vet seemed pretty sure it was a lab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

sweetheart wrote: »
    not sure if they would be able to do a lot would they

They won't get the dog back but they will check up on her.

Selling puppies from door to door is very dodgy and buying one from someone in this manner is just as bad.

Supply and demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

They won't get the dog back but they will check up on her.

Selling puppies from door to door is very dodgy and buying one from someone in this manner is just as bad.

Supply and demand.

In general Dog breeding in any way is because of Supply and demand.
    unless your keeping the dogs you breed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

BVB wrote: »
    In general Dog breeding in any way is because of Supply and demand.
    unless your keeping the dogs you breed

Very true.

But there is a huge difference between a proper breeder and someone that goes door to door selling puppies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Someone entered the OP's house and stole his property, he seen who did it and reported it to the guards who told him there was nothing they could do.

So the guards don't investigate theft any more
    Two things OP

Make an official complaint about the guard involved and goto the station speak to someone higher up and get them to retrieve your property

• Advertisement

Very true.

But there is a huge difference between a proper breeder and someone that goes door to door selling puppies.

The difference is that Breeders make €100,s for 1 pup.

I think you need to get a solicitors letter for the return of the pup. If not and you really want to fight this you will need to go to court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

BVB wrote: »
    The difference is that Breeders make €100,s for 1 pup.

No they don't, proper breeders that do all the health tests, and raise the pups properly don't makes €100s at all.

It sounds to me as if they'd maybe already agreed to sell the pup to someone else, maybe for more money? I certainly wouldn't advise buying a dog from somebody that came and knocked on the door, how do you know they hadn't stolen it in the first place?

However, this woman has no legal right to go into your property and take something, I would definitely go the Garda station and demand to talk to somebody more senior.

Just as a matter of interest, can I ask what you were feeding the pup?

Do you know where the pup is now?

ISDW wrote: »
    No they don't, proper breeders that do all the health tests, and raise the pups properly don't makes €100s at all.

It sounds to me as if they'd maybe already agreed to sell the pup to someone else, maybe for more money? I certainly wouldn't advise buying a dog from somebody that came and knocked on the door, how do you know they hadn't stolen it in the first place?

However, this woman has no legal right to go into your property and take something, I would definitely go the Garda station and demand to talk to somebody more senior.

Just as a matter of interest, can I ask what you were feeding the pup?

Do you know where the pup is now?

it was tinned wet puppy food dont know the brand off the top of my head but was bought and recommended from maxi zoo big pet store...yes i know where this woman is living..i have just been onto the guards the woman in question is to make an appearance at the garda station tonight at 7 pm so fingers crossed eh:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That' all very strange, usually when something like this happens you don't get money thrown back at you they just take the dog.

Rumours can be very damaging but she could of easily sussed you out without being so dramatic. The poor pup probably doesn't know wether he's coming or going.

Selling the pups door to door and then being concerened for the pups welfare afterwards seems a bit odd as well.

Best of luck with whatever happens fingers crossed either way the pup is being looked after properly.

That' all very strange, usually when something like this happens you don't get money thrown back at you they just take the dog.

Rumours can be very damaging but she could of easily sussed you out without being so dramatic. The poor pup probably doesn't know wether he's coming or going.

Selling the pups door to door and then being concerened for the pups welfare afterwards seems a bit odd as well.

Best of luck with whatever happens fingers crossed either way the pup is being looked after properly.

thanks a mill i dont really care about the money or how much i spent on him i just want him back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

There was a invite to sell you accepted and handed over legal tender which the person duly accepted - contract closed. She had absolutely no right whatsoever to take the puppy away from you and has stolen your pup.

Hopefully you will get a happy outcome, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭cmf86

I hope you get this sorted and get the pup back, that women had no right in doing what she did, you give her money and she was happy enough to hand over the pup, she has no right to come and take the pup back and definatly no right to enter your home when you told her not too

My fingers are crossed for you, let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Do you have a reciept for the purchase of the dog, because if you dont, its her word against yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 laceyl

By god theres some crazy people out there. Who in their right mind sells a pup and then steals him back?

I wouldnt be encourage buying pups in this way, especially since you didnt get papers, you could get a pup who from a pound who doesnt stand a chance for cheaper.

However many people dont realise this and you have certainly learnt the hard way that buying from the door isnt great.

I really hope you get the pup back, my fingers are crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Ok, you cant just tell the OP to "move on and get a rescue" you simply cannot "move on" over something like this! That pup was a member of the family more a less and her kid is probably devestated!
    I do agree that buying and selling puppies door to door is really dodgy though..I would have reported them - by the sounds of it probably to deaf ears. :(
    I wouldnt let it go either OP, If that were my dog I know exactly what I would do! :mad: Anyway, I really hope the puppy is OK, after all he's been through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Go to a rescue centre and get a new dog? If the guards said there's nothing they can do, then just accept it! If your son got attached to him so quickly he'll get attached to a new one just as fast.

You're obviously not an animal lover. If someone stole yiour car would you "just accept it" and "get a new one"?

taconnol wrote: »
    Get a dog for FREE from a pound.

Pound dogs are not free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Magenta wrote: »
    You're obviously not an animal lover. If someone stole yiour car would you "just accept it" and "get a new one"?

She had the dog for a week - don't tell me that she is "traumatised" over it :rolleyes: What about the "trauma" of the puppy? Do you think that it's in the puppy's best interest to be handed back to the OP now? Maybe we could focus on what's best for the PUPPY? Instead of just discussing it as someone's property, like a chair or a television. Or a CAR like you just did!! I don't think animal lovers compare animals to cars.

She didn't seem too bothered about the conditions under which the puppy was conceived. So who are you calling an animal lover or not? Someone who just buys a puppy off any person who comes around to the door and doesn't bother to check if the operation is all above board? I call that the OPPOSITE of an animal lover.

taconnol wrote: »
    She had the dog for a week - don't tell me that she is "traumatised" over it :rolleyes: What about the "trauma" of the puppy? Do you think that it's in the puppy's best interest to be handed back to the OP now? Maybe we could focus on what's best for the PUPPY? Instead of just discussing it as someone's property, like a chair or a television. Or a CAR like you just did!! I don't think animal lovers compare animals to cars.

She didn't seem too bothered about the conditions under which the puppy was conceived. So who are you calling an animal lover or not? Someone who just buys a puppy off any person who comes around to the door and doesn't bother to check if the operation is all above board? I call that the OPPOSITE of an animal lover.

Well I certainly wouldn't refer to someone who views animals as such disposable items ("Just accept it and get a new one!") as an animal lover.

She only had the puppy for a week, so what? Does that mean she shouldn't be attached to it? Are you only supposed to grow attached to an animal after a certain amount of time? And if comparing a puppy to a car is so terrible of me, because a car is not a living thing or whatever, let's compare it to a baby. If someone lost their baby after a week, would you tell them "You only had it for a week, don't tell me you're traumatised!"? I hope you wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

ok on tuesday i bought a puppy from people who live relatively close to me...bought all the essentials for a new puppy on wednesday and brought him to the vet yesterday for a check up and to book an appointment for his injections...yesterday evening this woman knocked on my front door demanding the dog back and i refused because i bought it for my 5 yr old son and he was after getting attached to it...she asked could she see the puppy to make sure he was ok and i agreed.. i turned around to go into my living room to get the pup and she started following me into my house. i told her to wait at the front door and i would bring the pup to the door. as i walked back into the hall she leapt at me and snatched the puppy from my hand, threw my money back at me and ran away. i rang the guards and they finally showed up at my door 3 hours later and pretty much said there was little they could do. i mean this woman stepped into my house and stole my dog..what am i supposed to do now any ideas:confused::confused:

Turmoil?

I know a few kids around the same age as your son
    Very small attention span - take the money and buy another dog from a reliable source.

Result=Out of "Turmoil"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

leelee_m wrote: »
    Why do some people here just jump straight to "Go get a rescue dog". :rolleyes:
    The OP bought a dog that they were happy with, they said they booked it in advance and they paid money for it. That woman has no right to come back and just snatch the puppy away! Its completely insane! OP you definitely shouldn't let this go at all! I cannot believe someone could just get away with that!:mad:

Agreed. What give's them the right to attack other people. Shut up and get lost they should I think. Porr woman been through enough.

BennyLava wrote: »
    Someone entered the OP's house and stole his property, he seen who did it and reported it to the guards who told him there was nothing they could do.

So the guards don't investigate theft any more
    Two things OP

Make an official complaint about the guard involved and goto the station speak to someone higher up and get them to retrieve your property

Agreed. Also, go to your Solicitor and get them to send a letter. then they will take you seriously.

ok on tuesday i bought a puppy from people who live relatively close to me...bought all the essentials for a new puppy on wednesday and brought him to the vet yesterday for a check up and to book an appointment for his injections...yesterday evening this woman knocked on my front door demanding the dog back and i refused because i bought it for my 5 yr old son and he was after getting attached to it...she asked could she see the puppy to make sure he was ok and i agreed.. i turned around to go into my living room to get the pup and she started following me into my house. i told her to wait at the front door and i would bring the pup to the door. as i walked back into the hall she leapt at me and snatched the puppy from my hand, threw my money back at me and ran away. i rang the guards and they finally showed up at my door 3 hours later and pretty much said there was little they could do. i mean this woman stepped into my house and stole my dog..what am i supposed to do now any ideas:confused::confused:

This woman did not buy a pup off a stranger that knocked on her door. FFS - READ the post before making stupid replies. It was ARRANGED. Stop giving her a hard time.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

The manner in which this pup was bought is, to say the least, not great. Knocking on doors offering to sell pups, albeit not handing them over straight away, is not right and buyers should put more research into the person they are getting the dog from.

However, that said the pup was bought and then stolen and the guards should take the matter seriously. The OP brought the dog to the vet so that will prove that the dog was in her possion at some point.

From the info given I dont think the breeder is the kind of person I would want to be in arguement with, especially if they live close by.

If the OP wants the pup back s/he should press the guards to follow it up - ask them for the case number as that way you know its been written up. Good luck with it.

cloudy day wrote: »
    This woman did not buy a pup off a stranger that knocked on her door. FFS - READ the post before making stupid replies. It was ARRANGED. Stop giving her a hard time.

The seller may not have been a total stranger, but unfortunately the OP did buy a puppy from somebody who knocked at her door selling them. I don't get the impression from the OP that she knows the seller very well, just knows that they live reasonably close by. It doesn't appear to have been arranged, the seller was going around the neighbourhood knocking on doors selling the pups, the OP bought one and when the pup was old enough to leave its mother, it was delivered. It would appear that the OP never saw the mother, or the conditions that the pup was born or raised in, really not ideal circumstances in which to buy a puppy at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Magenta wrote: »
    She only had the puppy for a week, so what? Does that mean she shouldn't be attached to it? Are you only supposed to grow attached to an animal after a certain amount of time? And if comparing a puppy to a car is so terrible of me, because a car is not a living thing or whatever, let's compare it to a baby. If someone lost their baby after a week, would you tell them "You only had it for a week, don't tell me you're traumatised!"? I hope you wouldn't.
    No you misunderstand. A person's compassion for an animal isn't measured by their own selfish attachment to animals, but by their proper treatment and respect of animals. That the OP is sad that SHE is missing the puppy - that isn't the same as worrying about the puppy's safety or wellbeing or where the puppy has come from. There is a big difference.

I understand that the OP is upset over what has happened and of course she should report the person to the police for a) theft and b) quite possiblly puppy farming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Right - warning people no personal abuse at each other or the OP.

The OP is looking for advice on the situation, not peoples interpretation on whether or not she could be missing the pup already or 'go get another'. That's not what she's asking.
    Someone sold her a puppy (under whatever circumstances) and took it back by barging into her home. Advise on this, not anything else.

hey everyone i would like to thank you all for your input on this matter.
    friday evening the seller of the puppy went to the guards and tols them she was just out having a casual stroll with her puppy. the puppy hten ran into my house and i wouldnt give him back..HOW LIKELY???...anyway i was supposed to go to the station sat evening to give a formal statement but at 10.45 sat morning the woman was knocking at my front door with the puppy appologising for what happened and said she was just having a bad day. i accepted the puppy back and told her dont come knocking on my door again the next time she feels like having a bad day:D:D

Good Stuff.

You need to get the dog chipped with your name and address ASAP

• Advertisement

Definitely get the pup chipped and registered in your name - and go and buy a dog licence for the pup today.

Did you give her back the money, or did she just want it all over and done with and gave you the pup???:D

Advertisement