Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in turmoil please help

Options
  • 17-07-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

ok on tuesday i bought a puppy from people who live relatively close to me...bought all the essentials for a new puppy on wednesday and brought him to the vet yesterday for a check up and to book an appointment for his injections...yesterday evening this woman knocked on my front door demanding the dog back and i refused because i bought it for my 5 yr old son and he was after getting attached to it...she asked could she see the puppy to make sure he was ok and i agreed.. i turned around to go into my living room to get the pup and she started following me into my house. i told her to wait at the front door and i would bring the pup to the door. as i walked back into the hall she leapt at me and snatched the puppy from my hand, threw my money back at me and ran away. i rang the guards and they finally showed up at my door 3 hours later and pretty much said there was little they could do. i mean this woman stepped into my house and stole my dog..what am i supposed to do now any ideas:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Go to a rescue centre and get a new dog? If the guards said there's nothing they can do, then just accept it! If your son got attached to him so quickly he'll get attached to a new one just as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How is there little they could do, that's doesn't make any sense. she entered your house illegally and stole your property, go down to the station and demand to talk to someone higher up I think their just being lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sweetheart

well i spent almost € 100 on supplies and vet bills for this puppy and for what NOTHING im just sooo mad that nothing can be done about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Was there proper documentation that came with the puppy? It sounds like the puppy could have been stolen from this woman and then sold to you.

Get a dog for FREE from a pound.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Soldier

i'd simply steal the dog back then the guards wont be able to do anything for her and i'd keep the money as well. i bet she didnt give you the injection and vet money back. i would definitely get the dog back without a doubt the cheek of her to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Run into her house, grab her tv and throw some money at her and let the games begin.

no there was no papers it was a cheap sale cos they were trying to get rid of the last 2 but this was the original owner because when she knocked she had what appeared to be the mother of the pup with her

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Did the person that sold you the dog have permission to sell it?

Maybe it was a family pet and she sold it without consent from her family..?

Anyway, you should never buy a dog unless its from a respectable breeder, rescue dogs are a much better idea

super-rush wrote: »
    Run into her house, grab her tv and throw some money at her and let the games begin.

exactly its the same principle really i mean if thats not against the law christ i dunno how people survive in this country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I would imagine you could at least have her done for trespass.

As Scumlord said if the guard you are speaking to doesn't take it seriously speak to someone of higher authority.

Did the person that sold you the dog have permission to sell it?

Maybe it was a family pet and she sold it without consent from her family..?

Anyway, you should never buy a dog unless its from a respectable breeder, rescue dogs are a much better idea

it wasnt a spur of the moment sale as i had booked the puppy 3 wks ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

sweetheart wrote: »
    no there was no papers it was a cheap sale cos they were trying to get rid of the last 2 but this was the original owner because when she knocked she had what appeared to be the mother of the pup with her

Sorry but zero sympathy. This is the sort of cheapness that encourages puppy farming.

taconnol wrote: »
    Sorry but zero sympathy. This is the sort of cheapness that encourages puppy farming.

not particularly looking for sympathy from anyone just advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

that is just not right. You bought a dog .
    That makes it your dog .
    someone takes your dog which is stealing.

Did you call to the house and ask why she took the dog back?

Go to a rescue centre and get a new dog? If the guards said there's nothing they can do, then just accept it! If your son got attached to him so quickly he'll get attached to a new one just as fast.

If some one mugged you and you know who they are and the Garda said there is nothing they can do ,
    Should you accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The way I see it, if they are that unpredictable do you really want to go down the road of making more hassle for yourself?

Let it go, and go to a rescue centre and get a new puppy that really needs a home.

BVB wrote: »
    that is just not right. You bought a dog .
    That makes it your dog .
    someone takes your dog which is stealing.

Did you call to the house and ask why she took the dog back?

apparently she heard i wasnt feeding it..i mean if i wasnt feeding it why pay so much money or bother even bringing him to the vet in the first place if i didnt care...havent called to the house but thats my next step if guards cant do anything

MsFifers wrote: »
    The way I see it, if they are that unpredictable do you really want to go down the road of making more hassle for yourself?

Let it go, and go to a rescue centre and get a new puppy that really needs a home.

true true the look on her face when she snatched the pup was mental

If some one mugged you and you know who they are and the Garda said there is nothing they can do ,
    Should you accept it?

i dont intend to accept it im not letting this go

• Advertisement

What sort of dog was it? Have you owned dogs before?

TheZohan wrote: »
    What sort of dog was it? Have you owned dogs before?

it was either a lab or retriever vet said she couldnt be sure if he was full bred and she wouldnt be able to tell for at least 2 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Why do some people here just jump straight to "Go get a rescue dog". :rolleyes:
    The OP bought a dog that they were happy with, they said they booked it in advance and they paid money for it. That woman has no right to come back and just snatch the puppy away! Its completely insane! OP you definitely shouldn't let this go at all! I cannot believe someone could just get away with that!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Well the simple fact is that she came into your house after being told not to, and grabbed the dog and ran.

She can be done for illegally entering your property, and to be honest if someone did that to one of my family, that Garda would be reprted for doing nothing, and then I would make sure it was followed up.

Your house is your home, and that woman is not entitled to just barge in like that.

Had that woman advertised that the dog was for sale? And if so do you still have the advert? If she did advertise it and you have a trail of contact info, which your phone company would be able to provide in terms of calls made/received, then I reckon there may be some grounds for her being done for selling you an animal and then literally snatching it back without your consent.

I do agree with those that have mentioned a rescue dog though, if you get no joy at getting the dog back.

Get it reported and followed up on, and get her name on record for entering your property illegally, and then give a rescue dog a second chance of a life.

apparently she heard i wasnt feeding it

You need to find out from her who said that you were not feeding the pup and sue them for Slander as if you go to a dog rescue center and they do a house check you will not get a dog if there is gossip about animal cruelty

it was either a lab or retriever vet said she couldnt be sure if he was full bred and she wouldnt be able to tell for at least 2 months

Right, well either of those breeds take a lot of looking after.

To be honest if you didn't even ask what breed of dog it was you might be better off leaving this one go.

Dogs require a LOT of care, looking after and tlc. You have to do your research first, find a breed that suits you; will you be able to walk it as much as it needs, do you have enough space etc.

They're cute when their puppies but they can grow quite big. Do some research and then call into a dog rescue home.

"Had that woman advertised that the dog was for sale? And if so do you still have the advert? If she did advertise it and you have a trail of contact info, which your phone company would be able to provide in terms of calls made/received, then I reckon there may be some grounds for her being done for selling you an animal and then literally snatching it back without your consent"

no they were knocking on doors a few weeks ago selling them and they took my details and came back tuesday as the pup was ready

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You need to find out from her who said that you were not feeding the pup and sue them for Slander as if you go to a dog rescue center and they do a house check you will not get a dog if there is gossip about animal cruelty

Actually I would agree about following this up. It is most likely the woman herself who is making this up, but I would get a Garda to find out who made the claim, and if she could not back it up, then she is the one who is making things up.

no they were knocking on doors a few weeks ago selling them and they took my details and came back tuesday as the pup was ready

Report her to the ISPCA.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Report her to the ISPCA.

not sure if they would be able to do a lot would they

Advertisement