Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult Films

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Assault on Precinct 13
    Escape from New York
    Big Trouble in Little China

Anything by John Carpenter gets my vote.

Dark Star mentioned by Amalgam earlier on in the thread is apparently John Carpenters first film. That might be worth a look if you havent already seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

owlwink wrote: »
    Dark Star mentioned by Amalgam earlier on in the thread is apparently John Carpenters first film. That might be worth a look if you havent already seen it.

How insulting, of course I've seen it. haha ;)

How insulting, of course I've seen it. haha ;)

Well looks like I have some serious catch up to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

This one was banned for years, the people involved tried to get their names taken from the credits etc etc, there are about 6 different versions of it and it still shocks no matter which one you watch....CALIGUA.
    You'll never look at Peter O'Toole in the same light again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Repo man.

Sortof a small cult following.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Dune ( movie ) , Dunne ( scifi channel series ), Enemy mine, the last star fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

call d wrote: »
    This one was banned for years, the people involved tried to get their names taken from the credits etc etc, there are about 6 different versions of it and it still shocks no matter which one you watch....CALIGUA.
    You'll never look at Peter O'Toole in the same light again.

Caligula? Tinto Brass.. it was packaged alongside smut films for years, fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligula_%28film%29

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080491/

Cult.. not sure if it is gold plated cult. An odd beast, probably dated now, made by Ken Russell of all people.

Altered States http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080360/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

pretty in pink
    footloose
    donnie darko
    monty phython collection

to name just a few! :)

Thanks everyone for all of the great responses. I now have a good viewing list to look forward to for the next while. Keep up the good work.

Owlwink...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Battle Royale is a good pick. Also Boondock Saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... I'd recommend "Naked Lunch" from 91. Screamers is good also.

Also check out Lifepod from 93, Village of the damned from 95 and The Arrival from 96.

Also watch "the forgotten" from 2004. I watched it knowing nothing about it and thought it was excellent. Although it you read any reviews of it or watch any trailers for it it will be ruined.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    hmm... I'd recommend "Naked Lunch" from 91. Screamers is good also.

Also check out Lifepod from 93, Village of the damned from 95 and The Arrival from 96.

Also watch "the forgotten" from 2004. I watched it knowing nothing about it and thought it was excellent. Although it you read any reviews of it or watch any trailers for it it will be ruined.

I suppose Crash could go alongside Naked Lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Ondskan
    Unsure of it's cult status but my god what a movie, brutal, stunning, tearful and violent.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338309/

A tale of two sisters
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0430659/
    Please god don't subject yourself to the american version 'the uninvited'

Chopper
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0221073/
    One word, FANTASTIC!

The DVD extra audio track is great for Chopper. Dialogue by the producers of the film. There's also a little documentary\footage of the man the film is based on.

Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1043378-stalker/

Quite a slow set visual film, much in feel to Let The Right One In. Unsettling and slow. It reaches for some pretty high brow ideas without alienating or patronising the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Midnight express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Videodrome

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Videodrome

A few people have mentioned videodrome now. It must be worth the look.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

for me anyway:

Equilibrium
    The boondock saints
    Serenity

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    for me anyway:

Equilibrium
    The boondock saints
    Serenity

Never heard of the boondock saints. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

owlwink wrote: »
    I suppose Crash could go alongside Naked Lunch.

lol, for a moment I thought you where referring to the 2004 movie of the same name, I was really scratching my brain trying to see the similarities. Yeah, I guess it does appear on the surface to be similar to Crash (96) but Naked Lunch is a completely different animal. It really is worth watching.

The problem with cult films is that the bracket is just too large and more often than not you have to wade through a lot of marmite movies before you find one that meets your tastes. Like, Showgirls for example, this is considered a cult classic because it has a devout following of people who love it, I couldn't stick 20 minutes of it.

I could also go on to list a series of low budget sci-fi flicks which I think are fantastic, but you might find them absolutely atrocious (The Brain... just awesome.)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    lol, for a moment I thought you where referring to the 2004 movie of the same name, I was really scratching my brain trying to see the similarities. Yeah, I guess it does appear on the surface to be similar to Crash (96) but Naked Lunch is a completely different animal. It really is worth watching.

The problem with cult films is that the bracket is just too large and more often than not you have to wade through a lot of marmite movies before you find one that meets your tastes. Like, Showgirls for example, this is considered a cult classic because it has a devout following of people who love it, I couldn't stick 20 minutes of it.

I could also go on to list a series of low budget sci-fi flicks which I think are fantastic, but you might find them absolutely atrocious (The Brain... just awesome.)

I have seen both Naked Lunch and Crash and I feel they both hold their own charms. The main reason why I was equating them together is due to the fact that they are both related to beat writers Ballard and Burroughs and at certain points the films share a similiar style which probably stems from the fact that they have the same director (don't they?)

I agree on the difficulty of individual taste with cult films, but such a thread definitely helps in narrowing down the search for personal favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Serenity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

JP Liz wrote: »
    Serenity

Do people not even give a cursory glance to the threads they're responding to any more? Serenity was suggested in the very first reply to this thread, and in a reply just a few posts up from this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Trilogy of the Dead
    Planet Terror
    House of 1000 Corpses and The Devils Rejects
    Pan's Labyrinth
    The Thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Phone posting here, so can only be brief. Eraserhead, by David Lynch (and everything else directed by him actually), and Twelve Monkeys, by Terry Gilliam (ditto for him).

trustno1 wrote: »

Good choice there. I suppose any David Lynch film would count. Except the straight story. I thought that film was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

I see Eraserhead was already mentioned - sorry there. May as well mention another one while I'm here though: THX1138, by George Lucas.

Advertisement