Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightlife in DCU?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Ha, you'll be juuuuust fine. That sounds about right :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TheDeparted

I had a great time in DCU, and made all of my best friends in my 3 years there.

However, the fact that the old bar was only open for one night a week last year, was a joke. What kind of University only has a bar open one night a week?

To be frank, I'm delighted to be going somewhere else to my masters, somewhere that has a proper college bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Hewhodares

Also has any1 any idea if the bar situation is going to change next year. I was at a fair few SU meetings last year and there seemed to be to be an air of inevitability about it going for good. I cant see the current exec solving the problem. It would be interesting to know if the whole situation will be sorted out by the time the cao offers are out, so 1st years might find out from the some1 with insider info on the bar.
    Hint:(Post it on here)

Though I have a feeling its going to drag on and on like last year without the exec doing much about the situation and students being left high and dry, pardon the pun, without a bar.

Even as a fairly recent nondrinker, I enjoy heading to the bar to meet up with friends who live off campus and socialize without having to go all the way in to town and be out till half 2 or 3 in the morning. Or even watching the football and having a few pints with other students and not a bunch of angry auld fellas watching u like a hawk in the slipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

gizmo wrote: »
    monument's post contains some excellent points carlowboy so do yourself a favour and read it.

Fuhrer, less of those posts please.

It was my way of saying I'm sick of these threads. There's one every week or two like. There should be a sticky and any other threads asking this question should be deleted and the poster should be given a paddling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I had a great time in DCU, and made all of my best friends in my 3 years there.

However, the fact that the old bar was only open for one night a week last year, was a joke. What kind of University only has a bar open one night a week?

To be frank, I'm delighted to be going somewhere else to my masters, somewhere that has a proper college bar.
    DCU arent alone with trouble with running a college bar. Last year, UL reduced the number of days it opened its bar, as did UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

carlowboy wrote: »
    It was my way of saying I'm sick of these threads. There's one every week or two like. There should be a sticky and any other threads asking this question should be deleted and the poster should be given a paddling.

It's quite simple, nobody is making you read any of the threads. Go read a book or go outside, or even go to the pub :)
    DCU arent alone with trouble with running a college bar. Last year, UL reduced the number of days it opened its bar, as did UCC.

Reduced opening to how many days in UL and UCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

monument wrote: »
    Reduced opening to how many days in UL and UCC?

Well in a conversation with someone on the Hub Management Committee last year, they told me that the stables (the bar in UL) cut to a three day week, and said the same for Cork, although they didnt reiterate further on the situation in Cork. Im going on their word, but perhaps the situation has been remedied, and will probably be all sorted by the time they're back in September, unlike DCU.

Any developments actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Depending on your course, it can be crap. Some of the events are alright, most are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Yeah are there any developments actually cos it really is going to be a crap year socially if the bar isn't open. I'll be drinking in the Slipper at bit more I suppose but it's nice to have a College bar. Alan Keegan promised to get the bar open so we'll see if he does it. But shur what does he care now that he's president I guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

Even if the bar is open, it will still be crap. Sure it was always empty. We need to have something like the pav in trinity. And there needs to be cheap drinks, like every thursday and teusday. 5 in and 3 euro drinks or 10 in and 2 euro drinks. If places in town can do it, why cant this bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If I get into this weird college I'm going to host a Wine Reception courtesy of Lidl/Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

u make friends when you go to dcu and then you can have as much nightlife as you want!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

Ok, I have to make a point and clear some things up:

1. For people that say the bar is crap and always empty - I went to DCU from 99 to 03 and the bar was always buzzing, jammed in fact in the evenings where there was something on. Some afternoons I'd wander just to see if anyone was about and all of sudden it's 11.30 and I'm running for the last bus. My bro went from 02-05, he also spent a lot of quality time in DCU, yes in the bar, as did his friends. The problem in recent years is the same as every pub/bar in the country, people drink at home and go out later. Also in recent years more and more students have cars, so don't drink. Up until this year many students have had p/t jobs and didn't spend wonderful aimless hours in the bar. I'm going to be brash and speculate....recession = no p/t jobs and students with cars.....this mean lots of fun times nursing afternoon pints in the bar :)

2. DCU life is boring....ridiculous. If you get a good group of classmates or decide to be brave and do something new or even something you've always enjoyed...you will meet lots of people and have the best 4 years of your life. Those who complain are those (not all but many) who moan and give out on online message boards instead of going out and doing something about it.

Advice....go into first year with an open mind, be brave, meet new people, try new things, make the effort and you'll have a great time! guaranteed.

ps I really hope they can get the bar going, but students need to do their part and support it, go on...I dare ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 journolol

Em, the nightlife in DCU is the same as the nightlife in every other Dublin university, because everyone is going out in the same city.

Well, apart from Quinns, which is always a good night.
    College is what you make it, and if you make good friends, buy good drinks and play good drinking games before you go out, EVERYWHERE is good.

DCU = Quality!!

journolol wrote: »
    ...EVERYWHERE is good.

DCU = Quality!!

I think there can be a link made between your view that 'everywhere is good' and how you disagree with most people that DCU has problems.

PS: Are you drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 journolol

Monument.
    Friend.

I think that people who whinge and moan about nightlife being 'bad' in DCU are mistaken. A good night is what you make it, and whether you go to DCU, UCD or DIT you can have a good night or bad night out in the city.
    EVERYWHERE is good. I never said everywhere is good every night, but I've been to clubs and bars around the city and had brilliant nights in a club and terrible nights in the same one a week later.

As for IN DCU nightlife, well, I'll be the first to admit that with the bar being in whatever state it is in, the official DCU social scene isn't great, but the Balls are always brilliant (esp Moxegen this year) and if you live on-campus, near campus, or even just have a house, some friends and some alcohol, a good night is in the making.

I am not in the habit of repeating myself but

DCU = Quality

P.S: No, dear, I'm not drunk. It's 10.55 am and I am at work.

journolol wrote: »
    Monument.
    Friend.

I think that people who whinge and moan about nightlife being 'bad' in DCU are mistaken. A good night is what you make it, and whether you go to DCU, UCD or DIT you can have a good night or bad night out in the city.
    EVERYWHERE is good. I never said everywhere is good every night, but I've been to clubs and bars around the city and had brilliant nights in a club and terrible nights in the same one a week later.

As for IN DCU nightlife, well, I'll be the first to admit that with the bar being in whatever state it is in, the official DCU social scene isn't great, but the Balls are always brilliant (esp Moxegen this year) and if you live on-campus, near campus, or even just have a house, some friends and some alcohol, a good night is in the making.

I am not in the habit of repeating myself but

DCU = Quality

P.S: No, dear, I'm not drunk. It's 10.55 am and I am at work.

Have you by any chance read the thread? And, if you have, why are you making points that have already been made and responded to?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fiftysix

Yeah are there any developments actually cos it really is going to be a crap year socially if the bar isn't open. I'll be drinking in the Slipper at bit more I suppose but it's nice to have a College bar. Alan Keegan promised to get the bar open so we'll see if he does it. But shur what does he care now that he's president I guess...

I heard throgh the grape vine that the SU have a few people interested in taking over the bar. Let's hope they keep to their word, DCU will be dead without a bar next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PixyChick

What's the story about nite clubs coming on campus and giving out concessions? Does it happen? Does the Union have any agreements with any clubs that restrict advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

PixyChick wrote: »
    What's the story about nite clubs coming on campus and giving out concessions? Does it happen? Does the Union have any agreements with any clubs that restrict advertising?

Yeah you regularly see Twenty1's handing out concessions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Hewhodares wrote: »
    On the plus size there is a lot of nice talent in DCU both male and female, female around the business school and library, male around the sports complex.

My good fellow that's all I wanted to hear! Now time to consult the map and find the business school . . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

piby wrote: »
    My good fellow that's all I wanted to hear! Now time to consult the map and find the business school . . . :D

if you could hoist a flag (red maybe?) when you find it, it would be appreciated by many. you might try to keep it out of sight of the sports complex though.

Advertisement