Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you name a Rottwieller?

Options
  • 12-07-2009 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi all, just got a rottwieller pup yesterday, (9 weeks old) and can't decide on a name for her, I was thinking about Judy but it dosen't fit her, we have a Doberman called Nigel and a German Shepherd called Molly, neighbourhood kids are coming up with all kind of names, Montana, Hope, Ella, Ruby, D'arcy, She looks like a little bear cub, absolutely gorgeous, fierce little nature too, she growled at me today when I came home. (Molly will soon knock her into shape) I quite like D'arcy or Hope, but hubby is not to keen on either one but no suggestions from him so far, Lol. Local teenage lads coming up with usual crap, Killer etc, I quite like Sally but thats my mates name...
    Anyway all, my baby needs a name, all suggestions considered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

We named ours Mandy when we had one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Heres names ill throw out there:

Bruno
    Angus
    Bismark
    Dakota
    Chewy
    Chewbacca
    Genghis
    Hooch
    Houdini
    Jabba
    Jade
    Moose
    Milton
    Maurice
    Rambo
    John Rambo
    Tank
    Sasquatch
    Wilbur
    Derik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Karlog - nice list of names, but the rotts a girl so I'm not sure how many will suit :)
    My aunts male rott is called Yogi! lol
    We went through a few with our Lhasa pup, she's Daisy now.
    We tried Poppy and Sophie but they didn't suit. She responded to Daisy right away so that was what we chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lady Athame

:DI had two when I was little, we named them african names because there such beautiful animals, (Shaka and Vollk). Pick something that means something to you, hope this helps a little!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Oh s*it i thought it was a boy ok i guess i have one name for that call her Lafonda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Lafonda?? can you picture it, Me down in the field, calling Molly, Nige, Lafonda, Na, that will not work, She's six inches tall right now, she's definetly not a Lofonda

Shaka is a beautiful name, not sure if it fits my girl, but definety one to think about, keep them coming, my babe needs a name.

Hi [snip], love the name, lol sorry it didn't suit my dog. any ideas? I'm stumped, so far I'm calling her The Witch,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

MITTENS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Spliffy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm not equipped to suggest pet names for anyone's animal. I own a cat called Turbo Diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

How bout Poppy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

gypsygirl wrote: »
    .. fierce little nature too, she growled at me today when I came home....

How about Neasa?
    known as Ní-assa ("not easy, not gentle"), or Ness.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ness_(Irish_mythology)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

How about Yoshi?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

bear is a nice name for rotty's, and they do look like bears a bit!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

What about

Xena
    Xanthe
    Nala
    Sasha
    Heidi

Oh and this thread demands pics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

My Favourite

1245247650514.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

I'm not equipped to suggest pet names for anyone's animal. I own a cat called Turbo Diesel.
    lmao thats genius

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Tara is a nice name, or jill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Tiny or Fluffy, great names for a Rottie :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

If she looks like a bear how about Winnie, after Winnie the Pooh.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

I like Amira (means Princess in arabic):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭sunshinegirl

i like the suggestion of poppy,daisy is also a nice name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I love human names on pets... I have a rat called Eric. How about any of these....
    Mary- the classic favorite!
    Hermione- if you love harry potter
    Nuala- goes nicely with Nigel :)
    Sandra, Lisa, Lucy, Emma.... just cute girly names!

I bet she is gorgeous- congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Congrats. They are a great dog.

My friend had three Rottweilers while we were growing up - Lady, Tyson and Lucky (who incidentally wasn't that lucky in the end :( )

We always used to talk about bringing "Lucky" down to see friends who didn't know what kind of dog he was, and they always got a great shock when we rolled down with a big male rott rather than a chihuahua or other fluffy little guy!

From the other suggestions I like Tara or Mr Giggles, lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

gypsygirl wrote: »
    Hi, love the name, lol sorry it didn't suit my dog. any ideas? I'm stumped, so far I'm calling her The Witch,

Lol nah I just wasn't expecting my name when I opened the thread.
    Apparently theres an elephant and a gorilla with my name :eek::pac:

Names are tricky, Daisy wasn't named for the first week &half that we had her, as I wanted to see her personality, get to know her, then names sit better.
    My friend has 3 golden labs, HoneyBear, Miss Molly and Little Lady :)
    Another friend (and boardsie) has 3 dogs, Rhodesan ridgeback called Phoenix, Huskey called Leon and :o what's Kya... like a huskey but white and fluffy. Darn brain.

Em... other names, aunts rottweiler is Yogi I think I said that, Yogi's gf in the cartoon was Cindy! ;)
    lol I just thought of calling her Piglet!
    Girls names...Maisy, Belle, Bella, Ellie, Lily (my adult Lhasa), I'll think of more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

what about something like Starbuck?

or Saoirse, means freedom pronounced "seer-sha"

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Friends of mine had three generations of Rotts when we were younger. Can't remember the grannies name but the other two were called Java and Bali.

Always liked those names.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I lol'd at Mary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

OP do you prefer human names or pet type names, any films you really like where there's a character you like the name of? Do you prefer Irish names?

Sometimes if you give the pup a few weeks a name just pops into your head once you learn they little ways.

We are seriously considering calling our new pup who we're getting on the wkend 'Mr Binky'. Had a cat called Rover and have a guinea pig called 'Pig' so not great on the oul names.

Advertisement