Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti, is it an art or just vandalism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Regardless of what it is I think it always looks awful and defacing public/private property is just not on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Regardless of what it is I think it always looks awful and defacing public/private property is just not on.
    I its done by classless idiots like Grift or his copycats I would agree, I always admire humorous Graffiti and posted defacing.

Back in the 80's when stations and bridges were upgraded or the Dart Glenageary station had just installed a new bridge, it had a devision down the middle intending passengers to walk on one side and pedestrians on the other.

Before it was completed passengers could use both sections. It was at the time o South African apartheid and someone had sprayed over stencils on each side, Whites this side non whites other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heone

CIE wrote: »
    False. Would you like a before and after?
    1.jpg
    img_3886.jpg

And they never reverted, up until their retirement. Their successors did not fall victim to that mess either.That's because you are immature and have not grown up yet. When a backlash comes, it's usually not of the very pleasant variety. The above example is of the pleasant variety.

trains in new york get painted on the regular, and you'll never get rid of graffiti, fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heone

oh and c.i.e. enjoy paying for the buff on all them trains getting done lately ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

heone, why did you bump this thread after nearly 3 months?

Either post constructively or don't post at all. Posting just to get a reaction is Trolling and against the Charter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I regard Graffiti placed in an area where it is not expressly permitted or wanted as Vandalism. In an area where it is designated for its use, then its art.

Now some may regard this approach as a bit too right wing. Unfortunately, it does act as a deterrent.

Swiss graffiti man faces Singapore caning

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10417167

A Swiss man has been sentenced to five months in jail and three strokes of a cane for spray-painting graffiti on a train in Singapore.

Oliver Fricker, 32, a software consultant, admitted breaking into a depot and vandalising the train.

Judge See Kee Oon said Fricker's actions were "calculated criminal conduct".

"He was fully conscious of the criminal nature of the act and must be prepared to face the consequences," the judge said.

I think the message is clear, that I agree with this. Its an example. On an Irish scale, of course, there will be a psychologist, consultant, and an army of lawyers likely on a legal aid scheme. They will likely argue:

(a) He (Vandal) comes from a decent background and is an artist.

OR

(b) He (Vandal) is an idiot who comes from a disadvantaged background and is a misunderstood genius who cannot afford proper avenues to artistically express themselves.

In either case, the press will have something to say. If the sentence is too lenient, they will complain. If they sentence is too harsh they will also complain. As far as the judiciary is concerned, its "heads they win, tails we lose".

The final point, look at Greece recently. Its a good country with good people, but we see images of Graffiti in it. Its not art, or expression....its vandalism pure and simple.

The lack of respect shown to publicly owned infrastructure is symptomatic of a failed nation and a failed system. It occurs when the people at the top are seen to have lied, and are lying and are not leading a nation and its people by example. Graffiti, I think, is a symptom of an underlying malaise, and is proof of an old fashioned maxim - "The devil makes work for idle minds".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

heone wrote: »
    trains in new york get painted on the regular, and you'll never get rid of graffiti, fact.

I prefer the NYC Subway when it had a personality and graffiti all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Perhaps, but it isn't necessarily reassuring to others that one might want to encourage to use public transport.

The photo of the graffitied train above does not create a reassuring image on maintenance or safety (it is possible the train is laid up).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the only personality that graffiti implies is scumbag. Can't say I'd prefer that tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Victor wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it isn't necessarily reassuring to others that one might want to encourage to use public transport.

The photo of the graffitied train above does not create a reassuring image on maintenance or safety (it is possible the train is laid up).

There are couple of ways at looking at this sure. I agree a lot of people are put off by it. On the other hand it was a part of NYC culture that countless people around the world including myself moved there to be a part of. Personally I thought NYC was heaven on earth when it was sleazy. It had a real energy and buzz. When Rudi and Conservatives came in with Zero Tolerance and tore the living heart out of the city. It might as well be any other US city now. The graffti on the subway was part of the culture which made the city so dynamic back then. Just look at this for beauty and atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HfSMKNn_B8&feature=related

• Advertisement

Back in the 70's and early 80's spraying graffiti would have been a major task on any CIE rolling stock, first of all they would have to spend hours on end degreasing and removing any grime from the surface before they could start, by that time the perpetrators would have been caught.

I see the 8200 Alstom's at Fairview have been recently decorated by artists. :p

i didn't get a chance to get a shot of them but it probably won't make much odds as they will more than likely be ending up undrer the gas axe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Looks good IF done well AND in a proper setting.

NOT by the side of the Cobh line and risking a smack of a railcar.

A lot of what's out there are illegible 'tags' with no artistic merit whatsoever.

dmcronin wrote: »
    A lot of what's out there are illegible 'tags' with no artistic merit whatsoever.
    Most of the Graffiti in this country is pure rubbish. One of the best graffiti examples that I saw was on a wall at Sandycove Beach a number of years back, A large Cannabis plant with the words legalize It written under it, It got into the Irish Times with a row of elderly bathers sitting under it.

We need someone with a sense of humour like Bankski or his Russian counterpart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093843/Codename-Bankski-The-Russian-Banksy-brings-guerilla-art-Moscow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭jameverywhere

I'm definitely too much of an anarchist to disapprove of graffiti. I don't make it myself, but I like to take pictures of it. I think it says a lot about the spirit of a city.

There are more important things to worry about, imho. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I did see an artwork in Cork city, the gist of which was 'F**k The Guards'

I didn't think it was possible to mis-spell the 'F' word, 'the' and 'Guards' but he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

We need someone with a sense of humour like Bankski or his Russian counterpart.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093843/Codename-Bankski-The-Russian-Banksy-brings-guerilla-art-Moscow.html

We need citizens of the state to have some pride in their village/town/city and stand up to those who are lawless and who are constantly in the courts for vandalism, violence, drugs and public order offences. These people have no respect for the country they live in so should not benefit from the society which they are constantly damaging with their vandalism.

Advertisement