Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you have done?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Im just back from my local Spar and while there a visibly drunk guy drove up in his car, parked arseways and staggered into the shop wreaking of booze. He bought 20 B&H and staggered back out again and got in his car and drove off.

I was so shocked so i said to the 2 lads behind the counter "oh my god the state of him i cant believe hes that hammered and driving". Their response was "oh him...hes always drunk". I couldnt believe it. Im sitting here now thinking why did i let him do it. I couldve got his reg or went out to him and told him not to drive, but i did nothing. I feel very guilty as drink driving is my biggest pet hate.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Got his number if possible .I hate drink drivers and staff should not have served him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Laughed probably

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

B&H are quality smokes, gotta give him that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Asked him for a lift.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

anniehoo wrote: »
    I couldve got his reg
    This.
    or went out to him and told him not to drive, but i did nothing. I feel very guilty as drink driving is my biggest pet hate.:mad:
    Not this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Got his reg and reported him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭MSporty

Sure its his own business if he wants to drink and drive, once he doesnt harm anybody else. Do you keep an eye out for people in pubs with a drink in their hand and there car keys on the counter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

MSporty wrote: »
    Sure its his own business if he wants to drink and drive, once he doesnt harm anybody else. Do you keep an eye out for people in pubs with a drink in their hand and there car keys on the counter?

What about the poor fùcker he drives head on into whist driving on the footpath/down the wrong side of the road??

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    What about the poor fùcker he drives head on into whist driving on the footpath/down the wrong side of the road??

I said once he doesnt harm anyone else. Next the OP will be snitching on people they see driving and talking on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Don't you know only young male drivers are capable of doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Report him and the two eejits behind the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Bait taken 0/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

No it's not. If there's a potential danger to others than it becomes a community problem. This cavalier attitude towards criminal offences really has to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Nordie Loyalist

Reported the person.

It is the best way, and all those beef faced people.

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Report him and the two eejits behind the counter.

The two behind the counter did nothing wrong, legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Do you keep an eye out for people in pubs with a drink in their hand and there car keys on the counter?
    No of course not but this was blatantly obvious and he hopefully has got to wherever he was going safe and sound.It wasnt as if he was a bit tipsy (not that thats any better)..he was hammered!

Im more annoyed that i didnt say or do a thing...

You should have offered to drive him home in his car, thats what a good samaritan would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

No need to feel guilty, very easy for people to take the Moral High ground in hindsight, I think we've all being in a situation where we "Should've" done something and haven't due to any number of reasons.

You could have approached him, but in fairness you were best not to as it probably wouldn't have done any good. In my opinion, you'd be right to report him. Sounds like he needs a wake up call.

We have a little bit of a running joke about something like this at our house.

Mrs Whosbetter? is preggers at the mo.
    We just thought it would be gas if she drove down to the local shop.
    Park the car right outside.
    Go in & buy a bottle of red wine.
    Get back into car & drink an identical bottle filled with Ribena.
    Down it in one.
    Start car & screach off!

Just to see the look on the faces of people watching would be priceless!:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Abigayle wrote: »
    Bait taken 0/

Very suprised it was taken that easily :pac:

• Advertisement

Just to see the look on the faces of people watching would be priceless!:D:D
    Remember the ' stagger in and out of the Offie pissed as a fart bit ' people would really ya notice then ,

Some people will do anything for attention ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Preusse wrote: »
    This cavalier attitude towards criminal offences really has to change.

True...especially when drink driving is concerned. Too many people are of the opinion that the Guards are out to get them when they set up check points rather them actually trying to prevent a crime...and one that could lead to a loss of life.

Latchy wrote: »

Some people will do anything for attention ....

He could have been a decoy.:D

He could have been a decoy.:D
    Hollywood would love him ....

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I said once he doesnt harm anyone else. Next the OP will be snitching on people they see driving and talking on the phone.

:eek:, But nobody harms anyone before they actually do.

The amount of people killed on our roads by drunk drivers are completey avoidable. I am quite shocked by your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Call the cops.

I've done it before on dangerous drivers/drunk drivers, and I'll do it again.

Cnuts like that see the Garda as out to get them, and not stop them killing someone, be it themselves or someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I would have tried to get the reg of the car.

I would defnitely have called the Gardai whether I had the reg or not and told them what I had seen. You never know they might have had a car in the area, even if you had a vague description of the car.

For all of you making ridiculous statements about drink driving:

Nobody should be drink driving on our roads!

If I make the decision to not drink and drive for my safety and the safety of others I defnitely would not want to meet a drunken ejit on the road on his way home from Spar after getting his fags!

OP: I wouldn't feel bad that you didn't call, just probably make you think that if you were ever in that position again you would probably know what to do, now that you have had a chance to think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im just back from my local Spar and while there a visibly drunk guy drove up in his car, parked arseways and staggered into the shop wreaking of booze. He bought 20 B&H and staggered back out again and got in his car and drove off.

I was so shocked so i said to the 2 lads behind the counter "oh my god the state of him i cant believe hes that hammered and driving". Their response was "oh him...hes always drunk". I couldnt believe it. Im sitting here now thinking why did i let him do it. I couldve got his reg or went out to him and told him not to drive, but i did nothing. I feel very guilty as drink driving is my biggest pet hate.:mad:

Take his registration number and call the Gards. They can then take the CCTV coverage from shop to investigate. Most people will just ignore the situation as it means giving a statement to Gards. And if it goes to court you could be called to give evidence (its taunting). I suppose you need to follow your conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Latchy wrote: »
    Got his number if possible .I hate drink drivers and staff should not have served him

Once he wasn't buying alcohol, they have no grounds for not serving him.

You should have got his reg - but sometimes things happen so quick that you just don't react. Don't beat yourself up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Oh I see, you'd wait until he ploughed into and killed someone and then report him.
    Good work.

Advertisement