Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imperialist Statue !?!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gurramok wrote: »
    Which ones, Joe O'Reilly perhaps?

Nah, I was thinking the celebrated ones, IRA members and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Stekelly wrote: »
    Nah, I was thinking the celebrated ones, IRA members and such.

Which ones, the Old IRA or the newer IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gurramok wrote: »
    Which ones, the Old IRA or the newer IRA?

Whichever ones their supporters choose I suppose.

Maybe keep it nice and up to date with a big bronze Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness across the road and facing Leinster house?:)

Oops, I just mixed up two unconnected organisations, didnt I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Why tear it down? It's not like it has the Union Jack flying from it. Just let it go... no point hanging on to pointless hatred.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh FFS. What sort of person would seek to remove all vestiges of this nations history that didn't agree with their personal hagiographic notions of Ireland of the past. On both sides. FWIW Wellington did much for Dublin in particular and was more understanding and supportive of Catholic rights and Ireland as an independent nation than is often given credit and unusual in his social group. For a time at least. He was fearful of revolution anywhere like most of his class at the time, but he had some understanding of it and his orders he drafted with respect to his soldiers conduct in Catholic lands they may pass through was remarkably easy going and understanding for his time and class.

Regardless it's a structure well known to People for many many years. It has lost it's impact as an imperial monument for most and it's historical impact is barely noticed. And that's a good thing. Swords become ploughshares when they cease to be swords in the common mind.

Tear it down? Moronic. Tear down the georgian houses while you're at it. Tear down government buildings. Tear down the basis of our law. Tear down many more things. Or I dunno, get over it. Jesus.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

Not another staunch republican on Boards:rolleyes:
    Yes, non-Republicans must be a dying breed. Ah sure, I can wish :rolleyes:

Advertisement