Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ballad do you sing?

Options
  • 11-07-2009 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Okay. When you're absolutely hammered, be it at a funeral or whatever, or a party and you're asked to "sing up" by your auntie Bridge (107 years old "I'd say you've a lovely voice") what song do you sing? It's not your favourite but you think you might know at least the first couple of verses. What would you go for? A beatles tune? Something that everyone might know? Or a burst of confidence hits you and you hope you can hold the tune 'til someone joins in? Just interested.

Fairness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

in fairness like.

Sonny please go away.I'm here all alone. Your daddies a sailor.

Neeeeeeeeever came home.

Here all alone. The nights are so long.

I'm feeling so tired. Please sing along.

In fairness like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Fair Play

Sonny carries a load though he's barely a man,
    There ain't all that to do, but he does what he can

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irisheddie

its got 2 be the ferryman! sorry patsy watchorn is my uncle!! or the lonesomeboatman!!great question by the way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

OOh breakfast roll!

A hungry feelin' came o'er me stealin and the mice were squealin'...

irisheddie wrote: »
    its got 2 be the ferryman! sorry patsy watchorn is my uncle!! or the lonesomeboatman!!great question by the way:)

Have a friend who can whistle the lonesome boatman. Needless to say he never has to bring beer back. Shoveled into him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You know that person who starts singing at house partys and wakes and lockins and stuff?

I hate that cúnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

The Boston Burgler, American Pie or Patrica the Stripper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 BeachBum25

If I'm hammered enough to sing in front of a room full of people like that, I'm too hammered to enunciate words... so it don't matter what the song is, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

OOh breakfast roll!

A hungry feelin' came o'er me stealin and the mice were squealin'...

in my prison cell...and the auld triangle, weeeent JINGLE JANGLE, along the banks of the roooyyyyalll canal!:P
    Sorry just had to finish it cos I was singin it in my head!

Mine would have to be a bit of a sad one tbh... you always know Im trollied when I start.... Oh danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are callin....

Seaneh wrote: »
    You know that person who starts singing at house partys and wakes and lockins and stuff?

I hate that cúnt!

I Hate that cnut? I only know the first verse but I can sing along.

• Advertisement

in my prison cell...and the auld triangle, weeeent JINGLE JANGLE, along the banks of the roooyyyyalll canal!:P
    Sorry just had to finish it cos I was singin it in my head!

Mine would have to be a bit of a sad one tbh... you always know Im trollied when I start.... Oh danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are callin....

Danny Boy. The rock we have all perished on. Impossible to sing. Up there with that Glen Campbell one. Not Galvestone. The other one. Whitney Houston couldn't sing them with all her registers. You have to change halfway through and hope nobody notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

Seaneh wrote: »

I hate that cúnt!

+1

Everyone goes "SSSHHHHHHHH a singer" --- well fcuk you Im talking and I dont want to shut up.

Well how do ya do young Willie McBride.............btw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irisheddie

+ anything elvis or john cash,imagine luke kelly and elvis/johhny doin a song 2 gether ,,,,,:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Yea could only imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Rare oul times/Summer in Dublin/2 out of 3 :o

I sang these one night while very drunk at a family party and am now made sing them when ever there's a "do" on or we get a lock-in.

Kiera wrote: »
    Rare oul times/Summer in Dublin/2 out of 3 :o

I sang these one night while very drunk at a family party and am now made sing them when ever there's a "do" on or we get a lock-in.

Grand. Standard classics. Hope to be let on your Ark when Degsy's flood vanquishes the unbelievers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Mountains of Mourne.

I think Im a great singer when Im drunk but Im really, really not.

watna wrote: »
    Mountains of Mourne.

I think Im a great singer when Im drunk but Im really, really not.

Greatest anti-capitalism song ever written. Have it on the computer. "Oh Mary, This London..."

Greatest anti-capitalism song ever written. Have it on the computer. "Oh Mary, This London..."

Yep - one of my favourite songs of all time - hence the drunken singing!

I quite like Don McLeans version too. I've seem him twice in concert in Dublin and he sang it both times because he was in Ireland.

watna wrote: »
    Yep - one of my favourite songs of all time - hence the drunken singing!

I quite like Don McLeans version too. I've seem him twice in concert in Dublin and he sang it both times because he was in Ireland.
    A Don McLean concert + "The Mountains of Mourne". That's like gettin' sprinkles on your 99. Did he sing "Castles in the air" ? (sky?). It's defo up there with "American Pie".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Joe Hill

Bunclody

Walking in the Dew

Belfast Mill

Sing is seriously stretching the description, but. Give a belt of might be more apt. :D

A Don McLean concert + "The Mountains of Mourne". That's like gettin' sprinkles on your 99. Did he sing "Castles in the air" ? (sky?). It's defo up there with "American Pie".

He sure did!

I think he plays the Olympia regularly enough, itd be worth keeping an eye out.

Im going to listen to Don McLean now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thanks to Tommy Bowe, I love "The Black Velvet Band". :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Don't think its a ballad really but Chicago - If you leave me now really really off key for the wooooooooooo ohhhhhhh please don't go woooooooooooooo ohhhhhhh I want you to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The first cut is the deepest - Cat Stevens is my drunken/shower song. One day I'll learn all the lyrics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I usually end up trying to warble out "Maggie Moore" and usually when I'm in polite company, so i can really drag the tone down.

There was a young girl called Maggie Moore, yo ho
    There was a young girl called Maggie Moore, yo ho yo ho!
    There was a young girl called Maggie Moore, she was born a virgin, but died a hoor,
    Get in, get out, stop fcuking about, yo ho yo ho yo ho!

And many other verses. Its a nice beer fueled song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

I always love singing that song, as people always seem to get freaked out when I can hit that high on the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Black is the Colour usually.

I was in a pub in Meath after Slane, myself and two mates sang, what we thought was, a very humorous song about a certain Meath footballer and his wife. Buckfast is a cruel mistress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dragan wrote: »
    Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

I always love singing that song, as people always seem to get freaked out when I can hit that high on the end.

Too accomplished and sensitive to qualify.

The words I was melodianed and belted out a few bars of and Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah should never be in the same sentence. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BattyInNZ

Thanks to Tommy Bowe, I love "The Black Velvet Band". :D:D

I love that song - it was one of the first I can ever remember hearing!

I'm like the poster up above - the one that sings really well when he's drunk - but doesn't really - but it never stops me :D River Road was always a good one and I am Sailing - I got it right once but it was like a recipe - I could never get all the ingredients in quite the right ratio again :p

Advertisement