Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2007-public-private pay gap was 48%!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Dhonnacha wrote: »
    People seem to be obsessed with Public v's Private - Where does Social Welfare come into all this. Do people really believe that persons on Social Welfare are 'the most vulnerable in our community' I don't think so. Just think - Married couple 3 kids()4, 7, & 11) living in Dublin and renting or paying a mortgage receive €803.09 Benefits NET PER WEEK. That is €41,960.68 NET Per Year. This does not include the benefit of a medical card for the family. Folks the average industrial wage is supposed to be over €38,000. Where is the logic to all this?

I know - I never stop to laugh when watching VB on TV3 shiittin on about the 'the most vulnerable in our society'. I dont think they know who are the vunerable and who are the leeches. Perhaps look at those on the scratcher throughout the boom and it might show us lads?

(Martin cullen maybe able to answer that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭amacca

dodgyme wrote: »
    They can also have a good effect. Ever hear of the word pendulum? Ofcourse you did with your vast experience of history.
    I clearly never stated that they cant have a good effect so why are you telling me something that was clear from my posts but not yours?

Yes, I have heard of the word pendulum, fascinating things. Did you know you can use them to calculate the acceleration due to gravity?

Have you ever heard that those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them? If you look back at the history of your posts you will see you are making the same mistakes...lying about your posts and misrepresenting mine.

What was at issue above is that you clearly believe they are having a detrimental effect on our economy and as a consequence need to be broken. You subsequently denied that you said the unions needed to be broken. This was a lie given that you believe the unions are having a detrimental effect on our economy. If you think they are not having a detrimental effect on our economy then why are you complaining about them?

btw you're the one that brought history into it so I assumed you were the one with the vast historical knowledge?

that would assume you know some.
    Well you were the one that accused me of using flowery language! So you clearly think I do. Its hard to use flowery language without a vocabulary that extends beyond four or five letter words surely? Make up your mind..either you think I use flowery language or I possess a limited vocabulary.
    You are tying yourself up in knots again and diminshing the impact of any good points you might have made.

Really eek.gif But what happens when you reach the top of the hill and have to fall downwards again?

Well I suppose if you use your pendulum to calculate the acceleration due to gravity and then do a little research around the concept and perhaps a little experimental work you might come to the conclusion that the force due to gravity will continue to act on you until you and you will continue downhill until an equal and opposite force (such as coming in contact with the earth or an obstacle) brings you to a halt.

The unions have not encountered their equivalent of the force due to gravity yet (the government has not provided it) and you are angry with the unions for flying too high??

deflection argument? again, also look to the banker the builder the candle stick maker.
    I suggested you direct your anger where it is mainly deserved and where it has a chance of changing the situation. The very situation you want changed. This is not a misdirection/banker/builder or candle stick maker argument. It is a logical argument.

Why get angry at the unions and expect them to change when you can get angry at your government and actually try to make them do what you want. Which I think in the first instance (and perhaps im wrong) is to not cave in to union demands and cut public sector pay.

I would have thought this was helpful, you are not going to reform or pressurize Beggs, O'Connor et al.....or their membership. As a member of the electorate you stand a chance of pressurizing elected government representatives to do what you want if enough of your fellow members of the electorate agree with you....shouldn't you use your energies to do this...it might actually achieve something. The elected government after all are the ones who are supposed to represent your interests as a taxpayer so you should be angry at them for not doing their job properly....never mind the banker or candlestick maker who look after their own interests first and foremost.
    I didnt suggest anything of the sort.

Sorry but Im afraid you did, either that or you cant formulate a sentence properly.
    I will repost it again for you, please explain to me how the below post does not mean you somehow think that unions should be actively trying to reduce public sector wages in line with private sector wages. If you did mean something else then you have an exceptionally unclear way of expressing what you mean. Please see below....................again!

Most of the Public believe that if the PS is overpaid by an average of 25% then the figure should be reduced by that amount by whatever means is necessary so as the PS is not overpaid by 'an average' of 25%. Again an issue for the PS and their unions. Is That not why you have unions??

Go on just look at the last underlined section, then re-read what went before and tell me what it means? If you meant something else you should have no trouble telling me what that was. If you were just ranting and typed any old thing that came into your head then you cant blame me for interpreting your words the way I have..its very hard to see any other meaning.

Jsut dealing withthe facts as I see them. A PS unwilling to see the road to damacus.
    You will have to get used to the fact that your idea of enlightenment may be at odds with the ideas of some of your fellow man and for the record I dont think you can deal with facts at all, particularly facts which are critical of you.

I hope you are not going to claim in subsequent posts that you meant the geographical location.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

I just want to make a couple of points;

1. If the government put pay cuts in place for the public sector will they include themselves in the cuts?
    2. There has been so much waste of money in the public sector starting from the top ie government expences etc, to FAS, and the HSE and more I am sure. When is this going to be cleaned up and by whom?

amacca wrote: »
    I clearly never stated that they cant have a good effect .
    because you keep in every post accusing me of saying they can only have a negative effect - get IT!
    ..lying about your posts and misrepresenting mine.
    so I am posting posts lying about my posts and your posts.
    No I think your lying in your posts about my posts
    What was at issue above is that you clearly believe they are having a detrimental effect on our economy and as a consequence need to be broken.

read my last post where I must have been lying about my previous posts
    btw you're the one that brought history into it so I assumed you were the one with the vast historical knowledge?.
    get over it, that was in the past
    .. Its hard to use flowery language without a vocabulary that extends beyond four or five letter words?.
    I know but you manage it. Probably your PS training
    The unions have not encountered their equivalent of the force due to gravity yet (the government has not provided it) and you are angry with the unions for flying too high???.

no I think the unions are great representing their members and that is there function dont you know - unions are great, great they are. Looking for wage increases while q's form outside M&S for temp xmas jobs. Unions great!

.. Why get angry at the unions and expect them to change.

no they shouldnt change - they should look for 20% increase - they deserve it - front line - nama - teaching our kids - frontline did I say frontline dont worry about where the money comes from .

.. The elected government after all are the ones who are supposed to represent your interests as a taxpayer

thanks for that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mollzer wrote: »
    I just want to make a couple of points;

1. If the government put pay cuts in place for the public sector will they include themselves in the cuts?

They couldn't really avoid it.
    2. There has been so much waste of money in the public sector starting from the top ie government expences etc, to FAS, and the HSE and more I am sure. When is this going to be cleaned up and by whom?

Much of it will be cleaned up over the next couple of years, by different people. While the waste (and extravagance in some cases) is bad, eliminating it will not make a huge difference to the scale of the exchequer problem. The waste might add up to tens of millions; the exchequer problem is counted in billions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

They couldn't really avoid it.

Much of it will be cleaned up over the next couple of years, by different people. While the waste (and extravagance in some cases) is bad, eliminating it will not make a huge difference to the scale of the exchequer problem. The waste might add up to tens of millions; the exchequer problem is counted in billions.

thaks mr walsh, it is refreshing to hear a (retired??) public servant acknowledge the size of our economic problem

because you keep in every post accusing me of saying they can only have a negative effect - get IT!

No I don't keep accusing you of this, that is another lie (now who is unable to see the context?)...If you take the trouble to read my posts you will see that I state you clearly believe the unions are having a detrimental effect on our economy right now(for the record I didn't disagree with you on this), so why else would you be complaining about them ...but again you brought history into it...I thought we were discussing the present situation in Ireland. get IT?

Now armed with the knowledge that you do in fact believe the unions in present day Ireland are harmful to our economy I then noticed that you posted the below

If they can put the entire economy in jeopardy, your response would be .. ah 'their power should be reduce'.

I disagree. If they can put the entire economy in jeopardy you should be broken.!

In a subsequent post you said that you did not say the unions should be broken.........we were clearly discussing unions in Ireland in the present day so you lied as I have proven above yet again. You are not debating honestly hence the circular nature of these posts. get IT?
    so I am posting posts lying about my posts and your posts.
    No I think your lying in your posts about my posts

No you are lying about your posts in your posts! See above.

get over it, that was in the past

Yet you keep bringing it up. It was a response to the history reference you brought up yet again? I think you need to get over it, it backfired badly on you.
    I know but you manage it. Probably your PS training

The training I received for work in the public sector was received in the same institutions private sector workers attend, there was no special indoctrination.

On a related point...Who trained you to lie and repeatedly dodge the issue dodgy? Why didn't you answer my question and tell me what you meant in the below post if you didn't mean that the public sector unions should be working to reduce public sector pay in line with private sector pay?

Most of the Public believe that if the PS is overpaid by an average of 25% then the figure should be reduced by that amount by whatever means is necessary so as the PS is not overpaid by 'an average' of 25%. Again an issue for the PS and their unions. Is That not why you have unions??

again, please explain to me how the above post does not mean you somehow think that unions should be actively trying to reduce public sector wages in line with private sector wages. If you did mean something else then you have an exceptionally unclear way of expressing what you mean.

Why evade this question, if it was clear what you meant and I just dont understand and your meaning is clear then what could you possibly have you to lose by explaining what you meant?
    no I think the unions are great representing their members and that is there function dont you know - unions are great, great they are. Looking for wage increases while q's form outside M&S for temp xmas jobs. Unions great!

Again trying to misrepresent my opinion by replying as if I had said these things. I havent, I simply dont think the unions should be broken, I just think their power and influence should be reduced....you on the other hand think they should be broken. I have explained why I differ from you on this, no need to misrepresent my view.

no they shouldnt change - they should look for 20% increase - they deserve it - front line - nama - teaching our kids - frontline did I say frontline dont worry about where the money comes from.

Who is not living in the real world now? Again, this is misrepresentation, I never suggested they should do these things. I suggested that they are doing what they do best and those that should be keeping them in check are not. Your effort should be directed where it has a chance of achieving the result you desire.
    thanks for that

As always you are quite welcome, Im always here for you.

Now do you think it might be a good idea to stop lying about your posts and misrepresenting me. You see every time you post untruthfully I am obliged to defend myself. I will not blink first and I will not give you the last word if you continue to lie about your posts and misrepresent mine.

So man up, develop a bit of maturity and either tell me what you meant and admit it was very poorly written and hard to interpret or else admit that you lied and say sorry. Believe me I wont think any less of you if you manage to do either.

Now armed with the knowledge that you do in fact believe the unions in present day Ireland are harmful to our economy I then noticed that you posted the below.
    Stop trolling you know my opinions

we were clearly discussing unions in Ireland in the present day.
    It was yesterday or possibly the day before but I think if the unions are detrimental to this countries future ability to prosper they should be crushed but if they are willing to play ball well that is hunky dory. i.e. tell their members to google what happened in latvia

Yet you keep bringing it up. .
    no I have more dignity then that
    Infact I think you missed the point of the post there. Read back its not difficult to see what i was doing there.
    The training I received for work in the public sector was received in the same institutions private sector workers attend, there was no special indoctrination.

You surely didnt expect special indoctrination. What were you training to be a freemason. Although I was asked to join I didnt bother. I read a history book the night of the indoctrination
    On a related point...Who trained you to lie.
    the freemasons
    I never suggested they should do these things. .

you did suggest it - never said it but did suggest it.
    So man up, develop a bit of maturity .. or else admit that you lied and say sorry. Believe me I wont think any less of you if you manage to do either.

Sorry too busy bringing it up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dhonnacha

Fred83 wrote: »
    because the person on the dole isnt by choice,he doesnt get a lovely payoff,a nice pension,a chance to sue or power of union of he got his wages cut,people in the private sector are getting cut and doing every hour that they are giving but they cant grumble,they are told to get screwed and take a cut,why should there be one law for public and one law for private....

He Doesn't get a lovely payoff - why should he - he is grossing 60 - 70k PA. People in the private sector wouldn't take a public sector job 4 years ago - the public sector were the 'fools' then. Don't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds.
    I have worked in the private sector for 10 years both here and the UK before joining the Public Sector and other then Job Security I really don't see what the fuss is all about - everyone knows about thier terms and conditions before they go and take up a job, both public and private.

I know that if I go and work for Hilton Hotels that I will pay 10% into a pension fund that delivers 75% of my salary at 60!!! I know that if I join the public service at 35 I will get 30/80 of my final salary that is if I don't take a year out or short time to take care of kids. I will be working for a long time before I gross 60 - 70k per year (and I too have 3 kids) and my wife doesn't work outside the home.

Stop trolling you know my opinions

Trolling? what are you on? Its not trolling if I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt you were lying. This is not a controversial view or opinion I have, It is fact, I have proven it. Neither is it off topic or irrelevant as I am entitled to defend myself when you lie about your posts and misrepresent mine. Your behaviour is the behaviour of a troll.

and yes of course I know your opinions captain obvious, I merely bring them up because they prove that you were lying, something you still haven't admitted even though Ive proven it multiple times.

If you still think I have made a mistake then point out clearly where I am wrong.
    It was yesterday or possibly the day before but I think if the unions are detrimental to this countries future ability to prosper they should be crushed but if they are willing to play ball well that is hunky dory. i.e. tell their members to google what happened in latvia

How do you think they are going to play ball?

What sort of ball do you think they are going to willingly play?

What happened in Latvia is not an example of anyone doing anything willingly that's my whole point, they have to be forced to accept certain realities by a government who does not listen to them (or by an outside agency through a government).

Your stated they should be crushed if they were unwilling...clearly you think they are unwilling (otherwise why are you complaining about them)...you then told me you had never said you wanted to see them crushed...that was a lie..I called you on it. You still have not admitted you were lying.
    no I have more dignity then that
    Infact I think you missed the point of the post there. Read back its not difficult to see what i was doing there.

So its not difficult to see what you were doing here but you wont explain the post I do have difficulty understanding? You know, the one where you state that you think the unions should be actively trying to reduce their members pay and conditions. I wonder why that is? Is it because you later denied you had said that and now you see you are wrong but you don't want to admit it.

I think a person that continues to post in the fashion you do has no dignity at all.

You surely didnt expect special indoctrination. What were you training to be a freemason. Although I was asked to join I didnt bother. I read a history book the night of the indoctrination

No of course not, read back, its not that difficult to see what I was saying.....you seemed to think I received special PS training in "flowery language" as you put it...I was merely telling you there was no special training.....how do you twist that into an assumption that I expected a special indoctrination?
    the freemasons

The band or the society? It is hard to know with you. Are you taking your orders from the voices in your head?
    you did suggest it - never said it but did suggest it.

Please enlighten me once again and show me where anything Ive posted in this thread suggests in any way that I think the unions shouldnt change, that i think they should look for a 20% increase because they deserve it – nama – teaching our kids – frontline – that I think we should not worry about where the money comes from etc? (you were not even able to use proper sentences in your post it was just degenerate ranting, no wonder its so hard to know what you mean sometimes---your training does not seem to have included anything on conveying meaning through the medium of the English language never mind getting meaning out of what others write....if you did get training in these areas then why are you holding out on us?)

your original post is below for reference

no they shouldnt change - they should look for 20% increase - they deserve it - front line - nama - teaching our kids - frontline did I say frontline dont worry about where the money comes from.

Also in relation to the above, I'm afraid that if I didn't type it out in black and white then I didn't suggest it. You are assuming I suggested it. I never suggested any of the things in your above post, how you could get that from my saying the unions power should be reduced is beyond me. Are you an inhabitant of opposite land?

Its in your head. That is your problem. You assumed I was saying something that I was not...learn to read peoples posts and respond to what they have written and actually mean rather than what you want them to mean so you can condescend to them. This would have the dual benefits of not wasting their time and yours.

And btw, that was yet another example of a lie and a misrepresentation of my opinion, but tell you what..... If you can prove I suggested that the unions should look for a 20% increase etc in this thread then you will have pulled off a feat greater than turning water into wine and I will be a true believer...you can think of yourself as my own personal Jesus and I will think of this thread as my road to Damascus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jadaol

Why move Fas to Birr? Or, the parole board to Navan?

I'm not specifically talking about relocating people between towns. A lot of that is political and everyone knows, which is why it failed. I'm more talking about a person being asked to do work outside the norm, taking on extra responsibility, working a few extra hours here and there, being reassigned to different areas/departments etc. All of this happens as normal in the private sector without questioning or complaint, as it's considered normal! In the public sector, you'd either have the person themselves or their union rep, jumping up and down and threatening all sorts. Sometimes, even if the person themselves is more than willing, their colleagues may jump up and down about it instead as they feel threatened by it. It's a joke. Do the work or get out.
    Give some examples?
    Well, the essence of this is, if i ask you to do more work or a different type of work and you do it, then i don't have to hire someone else do it which costs a lot more. (Especially if you are underworked as it is).
    If i'm struggling to meet deadlines and only have a certain amount of staff available to me, i might ask them to work extra hard and longer hours for short period to meet those deadlines. If they're flexible, they will do this. Sure they'll probably get time in lieu etc. but there's give and take, and not everything has be a prolonged negotiation that takes too long to resolve and just wears people down. So much so that the easiest option although more expensive, is to hire someone else to do it. But unfortunately, this may have to be negotiated with the unions etc., as anyone else coming in their patch is not on and that takes ages and they'll probably want compensation and on and on and on. Like i say, a complete and utter joke which makes everything so bloody inefficient and expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now you're confusing politicians with public servants.

Well politicians are public servants technically. The main thing everyone of them have in common is that they have no qualms about spending massive amounts of other peoples' money. The union leaders are the same as the politicians. Who do you think appointed all the union reps to the boards, but their friends the politicians, as a sweetener and their bestest friend in the whole world Mr. Bertie Ahearn, who handed out paid directorships like they were smarties and did it to keep his chums in the unions happy

Trolling? what are you on? Its not trolling if I can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt you were lying. This is not a controversial view or opinion I have, It is fact, I have proven it. .

So it was a law degree the PS gave you . Your no perry mason! :rolleyes:
    Ive proven it multiple times.

saying you proved does prove anything
    What happened in Latvia is not an example of anyone doing anything willingly that's my whole point, .
    so you want them crushed also. Thats what you are saying. Larkin would turn in his grave.
    So its not difficult to see what you were doing here but you wont explain the post
    I do have difficulty understanding? .
    so its not difficult to you but you have difficulty understanding ..hah? I think you might need special indoctrination
    The band or the society. ?.

I know nothing of the band called the freemasons and and I dont know of the society of freemason. I think you should leave the frateral organisation that is the freemasons out of it it you dont know who they are. Stick to the pendulums.
    . Are you taking your orders from the voices in your head?.
    yes I take mine from the brain
    which organ do you take your orders from.? below the hips?

I think the unions shouldnt change, they should look for a 20% increase because they deserve it – nama – teaching our kids – frontline – dont worry about where the money comes from etc

sounds like you contradict yourself there
    your training does not seem to have included anything on conveying meaning through the medium of the English language.

the only medium you are interested is in your crystal ball where you make up what I say

your original post is below for reference

If you can prove I suggested that the unions should look for a 20% increase etc in this thread then you will have pulled off a feat greater than turning water into wine.

Really I though the water and wine stuff would be difficult to beat after all these years. If I turned water into wine and did it so there was 20% more wine by volume in comparison to the water well that would be a good trick, kinda like I make a point and you change it into something else and add 20% to it for good measure, like you have been at all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AMK

Some public servants (myself included) accept the necessity for a pay cut because we understand that the government, under the Stability and Growth Pact, has limited options in narrowing the gap between exchequer expenditure and receipts. That is the price of being in the Eurozine. Of course we don't like it. Who would? But it is not correct to tar all public servants with the same brush.

Incidentally, regardless of how it subsequently developed, benchmarking was initially introduced to stem the loss of staff from the public sector to the private as the public sector was losing people hand over fist to the better pay rates in the private sector.

The way I see it, I didn't voice any complaints when my pay went up. So I'll take it on the chin when it goes down.

Right now, the debate seems to centre on the rights and wrongs of reducing public sector pay and much of the focus is on achieving parity with the private sector. Even if this is achieved this year, what happens next year? There is a significant deficit anticipated for 2010. And what about the year after? Reducing public sector expenditure is necessary but it does have its limits. It alone cannot address all the problems this country is facing.

Many of the arguments made in respect of reductions in public expenditure are sensible and logical. There is an element in some of them, though, that smacks of 'let them take the pain, not me'. But other measures, in addition to reductions in public sector expenditure (regardless of how these are achieved), are required. The recommendations of the Commission on Taxation are barely getting a look in at the moment but many of them are sensible, particularly those in respect of a property tax. Much and all as some might like to hope it would, I cannot see how reducing public sector pay could obviate the necessity for other tough measures in the coming years.

Incidently, the Decentralisation Programme is voluntary in nature. That is the way it was set up. It appears to have been predicated on the assumption that there were hordes of Civil Servants gagging at the bit to move down the country. A simple look at transfer lists and existing opportunities to move down the country at the time would have killed that idea off. In 1983, when I joined, the average wait to get a transfer down the country was 14 - 15 years. In 2003, it had reduced considerably. The reason - many departments had opened sub-offices around the country. By the time the Decentralisation Programme was announced, the majority of those who wanted to move had already done so. The Programme also seemed to be predicated on the idea that all Civil Servants were either married to other Civil Servants or else were married to spouses who weren't in employment at all and could just up and move at the drop of a hat. Personally, I think it assumed male Civil Servants with dependent spouses. The thinking seems to me to have been about 40 years out of date.

Some of the other posters seem to feel Civil Servants 'should' have moved. That is to ignore the reality. Although many of us came from outside Dublin in the first place and spent years hoping to transfer home by the time opportunities became commonplace we had married, had families, children in school, etc. and didn't want to move any more. If we were told we had to move or lose our jobs, of course it would be looked at differently but we weren't and that was a political decision and not of our making.

It should really be called the Relocation Programme. Genuine decentralisation would mean devolving significant functions to local government, not just moving state departments from one place to another.

So it was a law degree the PS gave you . Your no perry mason!

No, no law degree. As I stated earlier the public service did not provide me with any on the job training or qualifications. I received all my education/training for the job before I entered the public service and some after I left.

What I did learn as part of my education was an ability to read and understand English, something you seem to be lacking as I have proven earlier many times (and Im not just saying that)

You accused me of trolling, most people would accept the below definition of trolling

“posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community “

I have not done this. I have simply defended myself from your misrepresentation of my posts and your continuous evasion and lying. Just because I am not willing to bow to your underhand tactics or let you have the last word does not make me a troll.

You in fact are the Troll because what you have been doing fits the above definition quite well.

saying you proved does prove anything
    Youre correct, whats your point? I did not just say I proved it, I actually went and proved it by quoting your posts. If I have been inaccurate then all you have to do is prove me wrong.
    so you want them crushed also. Thats what you are saying. Larkin would turn in his grave.
    I did not say I wished to see them crushed, I did not imply it, I did not suggest it. You are the one who said this and then subsequently denied it.

How can you possibly turn a clear statement on my part that the unions should not be crushed but they should have their power reduced instead into a suggestion that I want them crushed.

That is what you said, then denied and now have admitted above. You see the bit where you typed “so you want them crushed also”? Earlier on you told me that was not what you wanted, the also bit kind of gives it away. Tying yourself up in knots again.

so its not difficult to you but you have difficulty understanding ..hah? I think you might need special indoctrination
    Could you please just re-read my post or the below quote from yourself (I have asked you to do this many times now and you continue to dodge the question) and tell me how this post does not mean that you think the unions should be actively trying to reduce their members pay and conditions. You denied that is what your post means so all you have to do now is explain what it does mean. Once again its the underlined bit at the end you should focus on

Most of the Public believe that if the PS is overpaid by an average of 25% then the figure should be reduced by that amount by whatever means is necessary so as the PS is not overpaid by 'an average' of 25%. Again an issue for the PS and their unions. Is That not why you have unions? ?

You claim the above does not mean you think the unions function is to reduce public sector wages in line with private sector wages if the public sector wages are ahead. O.K. Fine, tell me what it does mean, that is all I am asking. That should not be too hard to do.

I know nothing of the band called the freemasons and and I dont know of the society of freemason. I think you should leave the frateral organisation that is the freemasons out of it it you dont know who they are. Stick to the pendulums.

A society can be defined as:
    “A long-standing group of people sharing cultural aspects such as language, dress, norms of behavior and artistic forms; A group of people who meet from time to time to engage in a common interest; The sum total of all voluntary interrelations between individuals etc”

Hardly worlds apart from what you describe as a fraternal organisation. Talk about splitting hairs!

Btw, Freemasonry has often been called a secret society, it tends to be Freemasons themselves that argue it could be more accurately called an esoteric society in that certain aspects of it are private. So what is your non-point above. I cant refer to them as a society when they in fact refer to themselves as a society.

You brought up the Freemasons first, now youre telling me to leave them out of it???? You appear to know less about them than I do. I would say stick to the history books but that would be assuming you have actually read or understood one at all prior to this evening.

Originally Posted by amacca viewpost.gif
    I think the unions shouldnt change, they should look for a 20% increase because they deserve it – nama – teaching our kids – frontline – dont worry about where the money comes from etc
    sounds like you contradict yourself there

Thats an exceptionally low tactic, you have deliberately snipped out the first part of this section of my post to make it appear as if I had contradicted myself..... below is what I said in full, ive underlined the bit you removed in an attempt to utterly change the meaning of what I said

Please enlighten me once again and show me where anything Ive posted in this thread suggests in any way that I think the unions shouldnt change, that i think they should look for a 20% increase “

Significantly different in meaning from what you posted. That was dishonest of you.
    Very troll like behaviour. Stop wasting my time with yet another type of dishonesty.

I havent done anything like this to you so show a little character.

the only medium you are interested is in your crystal ball where you make up what I say

If you think I am making up what you say then why cant you address my posts directly and simply disprove the things you think I am making up instead of evading my questions. And to think you accused me of misdirection???

Really I though the water and wine stuff would be difficult to beat after all these years. If I turned water into wine and did it so there was 20% more wine by volume in comparison to the water well that would be a good trick, kinda like I make a point and you change it into something else and add 20% to it for good measure, like you have been at all along.

Youre the one who is changing other peoples points into something else.

Youre the one who subsequently lies about the points you make earlier........................... instead of evading prove me wrong. If Im lying it should be very easy for you to prove it.

You claimed in your last post that I suggested that the unions should look for a 20% increase (among other things), so I simply ask you to back up this claim and prove to me and other posters where I have in any way made the suggestion that the unions should look for a 20% increase.

You say I have suggested this, I say I have not suggested this. All you have to do is prove me wrong. If Im lying it should be easy for you to do, simply quote the post where I said or suggested that the unions should look for a 20% increase.

If you cant do this then Im afraid you will have to admit that this claim is a lie also.

No, no law degree. As I stated earlier the public service did not provide me with any on the job training or qualifications. .

so why did you say they did
    You in fact are the Troll because what you have been doing fits the above definition quite well..

What is this a punch and judy show. Great style of debate from you
    I did not just say I proved it.
    finally

Hardly worlds apart from what you describe as a fraternal organisation. Talk about splitting hairs!.
    The way in which you have misrepreesented everything I have said would split enough hairs to make a wig.
    You brought up the Freemasons first, now youre telling me to leave them out of it???? !.

whats your fascination with the freemasons
    why cant you address my posts directly !.
    I have done this pages back but you didnt listen
    Youre the one who is changing other peoples points into something else.!.
    Your punch and judy show is getting tired at this stage

so why did you say they did

Having trouble reading again? I didn't. On a number of occasions I stated clearly that all my training and qualifications were received before I entered the job. After I left I also received more education at the same institutions all private sector workers are free to attend and frequently do.

Trolling again?

What is this a punch and judy show. Great style of debate from you

Yours the one whose style of debate resembles that of a person with a head comprised entirely of wood.

finally

Repeatedly....yet you continue to evade and dodge the question. I told you, I'm perfectly justified in replying. You lied about you're posts and misrepresented mine. I have a right to defend myself and I'm not willing to let you get the upperhand through harassment.

The way in which you have misrepreesented everything I have said would split enough hairs to make a wig.

Now who is engaging in a Punch and Judy style debate?

You are in fact the one who engaged in misrepresentation and splitting hairs. What else could your post about fraternal organisation have been only splitting hairs? pathetic, you got caught out again.

whats your fascination with the freemasons

Absolutely none whatsoever, you brought them up, remember? You then tried to correct my description of them...as it turned out you were splitting hairs in the extreme.

I have done this pages back but you didnt listen

Perhaps in your head but not in your posts I'm afraid. You havent provide a single satisfactory response to proof of your repeated lies and misrepresentation of my posts.

If you are unable to explain clearly in english why you have posted the things you have and what they mean (given that they are not coherent sentences in some cases) then you have not addressed my posts directly. You are just evading and timewasting.

Among a litany of lies and misrepresentation I asked you where I suggested that unions should look for a 20% increase, you still have not responded to this!
    Your punch and judy show is getting tired at this stage

Again, you are the one who is engaging in and necessitating this style of debate, just answer the questions I asked about what I state are your lies.

If they are not lies, you should easily be able to prove me wrong. It is telling that you have not been able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the goverment doesnt look after the best intrest of the country,the public sector is a golden goose for blatant waste of money,high pensions,and feck all in return,if it was a business it would had been shut down a long time ago because it doesnt produce must of an income,i have feeling the ordinary taxpayer will be brought back to the 1980's again of been taxed to death because the goverment is so scared of the unions of the public service that the taxpayer will be easier picking to make up for it...

Fred83 wrote: »
    the goverment doesnt look after the best intrest of the country,the public sector is a golden goose for blatant waste of money,high pensions,and feck all in return,if it was a business it would had been shut down a long time ago because it doesnt produce must of an income,i have feeling the ordinary taxpayer will be brought back to the 1980's again of been taxed to death because the goverment is so scared of the unions of the public service that the taxpayer will be easier picking to make up for it...

Its certainly a possibility. The ordinary anythings always seems to bear the brunt of the extraordinary anythings mistakes first.

If they do continue to raise taxes on the majority it will be a killer.

However, even if it brings in a small amount of revenue compared to pay cuts I still think that the uber rich should pay their fair share and have all the tax loopholes they enjoy closed off fully. They should pay the same percentage of their income in tax somebody on a low or middle income does. This will still leave them much better off, after all they claim they are citizens of Ireland too.

Pay cuts should happen (not to the degree some posters on this thread seem to be advocating imo) along with a whole hell of a lot of other reforms or with a cast iron commitment to undertake these reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

more great news! and im not being sarcastic, see below! :) thank god they yes vote looks likely to go through, look how important europe is for us!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/brendan-keenan/no-easy-way-out-as-these-figures-keep-getting-worse-1903382.html

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/brendan-keenan/no-easy-way-out-as-these-figures-keep-getting-worse-1903382.html

christ its a pity if the the IMF doesnt step in! hopefully the government wont have the balls to properly tackle spending and they come in and decimiate the public sector and welfare spending for the large amount of scroungers in this society! The longer this all gets drawn out, the more damage there is going to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

the goverment doesnt look after the best intrest of the country,the public sector is a golden goose for blatant waste of money,high pensions

Typical poorly written predjudice. PS pensions at half your salary are reasonable, they haven't changed over the years and all private pension schemes have similar objectives.
    if it was a business it would had been shut down a long time ago because it doesnt produce must of an income

The public sector produces things people want like education and health. Providing something that people want is exactly what many businesses have failed to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

ardmacha wrote: »
    PS pensions at half your salary are reasonable,

its not half your salary, it is half the Irish p.s. salary ( plus tax free windfall of one and a half years salary )
    they haven't changed over the years

Its a far higher amount now in real terms than was years ago or was ever paid for eg ...what Guard taking early retirement now would have though when he left school / joined in 1979 he would have a pension pot worth over a million euro by 2009 ?

and all private pension schemes have similar objectives.

lol lol

The public sector produces things people want like education and health.

At a cost of tens of billions ...financed largely by those who send the govt cheques for vat, excise duty, vrt, cgt, income tax, cat, stamp duty etc

Providing something that people want is exactly what many businesses have failed to do.

Why do you not set up a business + provide something people want ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

The public sector produces things people want like education and health. Providing something that people want is exactly what many businesses have failed to do.

not always,money talks in this country,a fine example is if you had a heart condition you could go public and sit and wait for years and then if you havent died by then,you get your operation,its well known too people with serious mental health issues have to go private and pay a fortune to get accessed by the professionals,education system,looking at some of the worse technical schools in the country,the amount of stuff that gets deliberty damanged by feckless pupils and the teachers that leave or assualted you might aswell close down them schools since they are a blackhole like the HSE...

its not half your salary

True enough, it is actually quite a bit less. It is the difference between half your salary and the standard Old Age contributory pension that everyone gets.
    Its a far higher amount now in real terms than was years ago

I don't see why pensioners of all sorts should not share in the growing prosperity of the country. Do you think that pensioners should be poor because Ireland was when they started work in the 1960s or because prices have quadrupled since they worked?
    Why do you not set up a business + provide something people want ?

I am already providing something that people want.

True enough, it is actually quite a bit less. It is the difference between half your salary and the standard Old Age contributory pension that everyone gets. .
    So the net effect is that p.s. pensioners get one and a half years tax free lump sum and then they get half their finishing salary from the govt to live on, on completion of service ( which varies from 15 to 40 years ).
    I don't see why pensioners of all sorts should not share in the growing prosperity of the country.
    So you justify some public service pensioners being on a pension of over 100,000 euro ?

Sorry to enlighten you, but this country is not in a state of " growing prosperity "

I am already providing something that people want.

But is it value for money ? Given that the average Irish p.s. wage is amongst the highest in the world - if not the highest ( there is another thread on this - nobody has found a country with a higher paid p.s. yet, despite much searching ) , and our educational and medical standards are not leading world class , I wonder....

Given that the average Irish p.s. wage is amongst the highest in the world

This is a separate issue from pensions. Wages may be too high, and consequently pensions may be too high. For instance it is not clear that people need to be paid that sort of salaries that give you a pension of > €100,000, when people can run the Bank of England etc for less.

But the pension itself is a reasonable concept.
    Sorry to enlighten you, but this country is not in a state of " growing prosperity "

True enough, although current conditions are exceptional. And in the present situation it is odd that someone with a salary of €50,000 has had a cut (aka pension levy) when that person is quite likely to have a large mortgage etc when someone with a pension of €50,000 has not had a cut.

And in the present situation it is odd that someone with a salary of €50,000 has had a cut (aka pension levy) when that person is quite likely to have a large mortgage etc when someone with a pension of €50,000 has not had a cut.

I agree with you on something at least. The pension should have been cut as well, especially for those on high pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

jimmmy wrote: »
    So you justify some public service pensioners being on a pension of over 100,000 euro ?
    How many, jimmmy?
    jimmmy wrote: »
    But is it value for money ?
    The idea of a welfare and pension system is to give people some confidence and a sense of security. In absence of it, they'd have larger families (to take care of themselves in old age) and would also save a lot of money, sucking liquidity out of the economy. Pensions themselves are an actuarial gamble that a certain percentage won't live that long and we won't have to pay out on them all.

Perhaps you would prefer the Flipino economic model?

Its certainly a possibility. The ordinary anythings always seems to bear the brunt of the extraordinary anythings mistakes first.
    If they do continue to raise taxes on the majority it will be a killer..
    So why may this happen..
    Pay cuts should happen (not to the degree some posters on this thread seem to be advocating imo) along with a whole hell of a lot of other reforms or with a cast iron commitment to undertake these reforms.

If you are going to get pay cuts you need to face up to the unions and that will mean what it means, whatever means necessary!

I love it when a plan comes together!

I love it when a plan comes together!

O.K. Hannibal, Ive drugged BA, I've arranged for Murdock to be released from his padded cell and for Templeton "Faceman" Peck to be checked in to the nearest std clinic

If you've got a union problem, If no one else can help and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team..............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Providing something that people want is exactly what many businesses have failed to do.
    If that were the case they would have gone bust long since.

Advertisement