Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Germany/on the continent for the first time: any tips?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Yeah our idea of 'merging' is potter along to the end of the merging lane and pull onto the mainline regardless of whats there at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Wayne2107 posted on another thread....

Now furet,in the context of your ongoing experiences on Germany`s Motorway system would you agree or disagree with the sentiments expressed.... :confused:

Hmmm,perhaps "Better" is a tad OTT....Our merging slips are that length because our definition of Merging may be somewhat at varience with the German one....?

Well, I'm not sure what the original poster meant by hogging the third lane, but I would have to agree that many Irish drivers do not know how to use a motorway. I would also have to say that our motorways are of the same standard, if not higher, than almost all of the Autobahns that I used to get from Frankfurt-Hahn to Bamberg.
    The A70 takes you from Schweinfurt to Bamberg - it is quite similar to the M8 in terms of its landtake and lane widths, but it takes an awful lot more traffic. One daren't use the overtaking lane for anything other than overtaking - people race past you at up to 190 km/h. It is quite possible for traffic on the 'normal' lane to travel at anywhere between 100 and 140 km/h.
    I would stand by my comments regarding merging lanes, especially on the busier autobahns. To facilitate merging I've noticed a lot of drivers here like to pull temporarily into the overtaking lane, so that the incoming traffic can merge. But when some lunatic is roaring up the overtaking lane at 200 km/h (and that is no exaggeration), that becomes impossible. Now, don't get me wrong - I love the autobahns. But they're not flawless.

Here's a nice quiet country road. I tipped along here at about 60 km/h. Nothing behind me so it was grand. My steering wheel camera clamp was a bit wobbly at the beginning, hence the jerkiness - and watch in HQ:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sportacus

Keep your pasenger beside the footpath!! A tip that works for me!!

I've always admired the way that all those small roads near a town are kept immaculately well, and all lined properly (and have no litter!). Compare that to Irish roads near our larger cities and its just embarassing.

I've always admired the way that all those small roads near a town are kept immaculately well, and all lined properly (and have no litter!). Compare that to Irish roads near our larger cities and its just embarassing.

Yes indeed - immaculate. There's something else they don't have too: one-off houses. Many of the oldest roads (I'm talking medieval here) have been converted into cycle tracks. Everything between small towns is nicely maintained. The towns here are very pedestrian friendly. They're also quite idyllic. Heck, I even saw kids today by the riverbank in their Sunday best playing hopskotch and using skipping ropes. Not a hoodlum (or a hoodie) in sight.

• Advertisement

Heh I always think a lot of Germany. So many British people dont go there because its not advertised really due to the whole "UK BEAT THE GERMANS IN THE WAR" mindset that still remains. Irish people generally dont go there either as its not advertised. But really its one of the best countries in the world. Really well maintained, absolutely beautiful place and some of the friendlist people you can meet.

I always remember one thing I saw in Munich and one thing I saw in Wilton, Cork as being the best example of Germany vs Ireland.

Munich: Some council workers were gently removing fallen leaves from the top of a hedge in the middle of the city and putting them in a bag to keep the hedge neat.

Wilton: Some council workers were removing fallen leaves from the side of a car park with a shovel and throwing them onto the top of the hedge to get rid of them.

TBH the worst thing about Germany is how Britain/America bombed the hell out of it and the Germans reconstructed those beautiful buildings very poorly or not at all.

Heh I always think a lot of Germany. So many British people dont go there because its not advertised really due to the whole "UK BEAT THE GERMANS IN THE WAR" mindset that still remains. Irish people generally dont go there either as its not advertised. But really its one of the best countries in the world. Really well maintained, absolutely beautiful place and some of the friendlist people you can meet.

I always remember one thing I saw in Munich and one thing I saw in Wilton, Cork as being the best example of Germany vs Ireland.

Munich: Some council workers were gently removing fallen leaves from the top of a hedge in the middle of the city and putting them in a bag to keep the hedge neat.

Wilton: Some council workers were removing fallen leaves from the side of a car park with a shovel and throwing them onto the top of the hedge to get rid of them.

TBH the worst thing about Germany is how Britain/America bombed the hell out of it and the Germans reconstructed those beautiful buildings very poorly or not at all.

What amazes me is that despite the bombing, so much has survived. And what has survived is cherished. Almost every town has a Stadtarchiv, many of which house records going back to the late middle ages. Many of the Fachwerk houses (which I LOVE) date from the seventeenth century, while there are still cities like this,

which I can't recommend highly enough. People, go see it! Other similar towns are Dinkelsbuehl and Bamberg. Being the heart of the Holy Roman Empire, and the scene of the Reformation, The Peasants' War of 1524/25 (Der Bauernkrieg), the Witch Craze, the Thirty Years War and the second world war, Germany is an amazingly liminal place. I came across a tower standing forlornly in a wood today, and the first thing that came into my mind was the Brothers Grimm Rapunzel story. And as I walked down from the wood (which was deep and dark, by the way!) and back into the little town with its quaint Fachwerk houses, I saw a garden full of herbs and flowers and - yes! - rapunzel.

3713858623_3971da1380.jpg

I went into the bakery later on and there were the most amazing cakes and such. They even had a cake that was studded with pieces of orange, berries, chocolate buttons and jellies, which was shaped like an old cottage - a Hexenhauskuche, a la Hansel and Grettel. Kassel, which was the home city of the Brothers Grimm, is only a few hours up road. It was from around this area that they collected their tales - the famous Maerchen - from peasants and governesses in 1810.
    Every street here reminds you of the guilds that plied their trades in the sixteenth century, and every path makes you think of the journeymen and pedlars who chanced their fortune from place to place. In the Stadtmitte of a nearby town there's a monument to the people burned in the Hexenverfolgung - the 'Witch Hunt' of the 1600s. The main street of Hassfurt is guarded by two old towers, former entrance 'doors' or gates to what was a thriving centre of artisanry and trade from the 1200s until industrialisation.
    And you're right Chris, the people here are very friendly, polite and helpful. When you can find them, that is! Sometimes it feels like you're on the Mary Celest: you know the people must be there, because eveything is so well maintained. The towns are SO quiet - you have to wonder where all the people are. The answer must be that they're on the Autobahns, because these are all unbelievably busy!

Great country alright.

(Sorry for veering off topic Victor and Callina :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

And remember, if you go over 130 km/h on an Autobahn without a speed limit and have an accident, you might end up with being partly liable for the cost, even if you have no blame in the accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

What amazes me about driving on Autobahn is how quickly you can end up going from 200kph on a nice stretch of unrestricted to zero thanks to roadworks.

Agree with all the comments re moving out to overtake, it's scary stuff the first couple of times, but you do get into the rythm of it quite soon.

Glad you're enjoying the visit. My very first spell of driving in Germany was alone going from Baden Baden to Ansbach, it all went well until it got dark and then a fog descended and you could barely see the car in front, so I stopped at the next services I came to and stood at the edge of the autobahn absolutely stunned at the speeds (it's a totally different sensation to when you're in amongst it). A couple of double espressos later, back on the road and that was that.

It's always the first junction when you come off the Autobahn or the first junction of the day that can put you off so just be careful and take nothing for granted.

Today I got to know the meaning of the word 'Stau' in German - traffic jam. The A7 (which runs from the Danish border south almost all the way to Austria) was manic southbound. I got stuck in three prolonged jams and there were roadworks to contend with, too. My destination was the Neuschwanstein Castle in southern Bavaria. By the time I left the Autobahn, four hours after I'd set out, the sky had blackened and the heavens had opened, and I was stuck in yet another Stau on a single-carriageway road. After about 40 minutes of going no where fast I'd had enough: I did a U-turn and headed back for Bamberg, quite pissed off. I'll see the castle some other time. The journey northbound was much more pacific. I managed to take some photos and to record a few videos:

Firstly, a simple parking bay off the Autobahn:
    DSCF4476.jpg

DSCF4475.jpg

German motorways can be quiet very occasionally:
    DSCF4471.jpg

Confirmation Sign:
    DSCF4457.jpg

Lots of roadworks:
    DSCF4440.jpg

DSCF4443.jpg

DSCF4447.jpg

An interchange ramp:
    DSCF4448.jpg

DSCF4454.jpg

DSCF4464.jpg

DSCF4467.jpg

DSCF4468.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14 David John Drum

Spent years truck driving all over Europe, in particular Germany .Beautiful country but over-policed ( and we are going the same way ). Biggest gripe is the road tax for trucks using autobahn. This can be prepaid and make a mistake and you are in trouble.I put wrong exit and it cost me 230 euros on the spot.

Neuschwanstein is actually quite disappointing IMO. Went to it a year ago and didnt think that much of it. Its in a nice location and its not where you'd expect to see a castle but thats about it. The rooms are nice but they herd you through it so fast its not worth it.

I havent been there, but from people who have been to all of Lugwigs castles, Linderhof is the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linderhof

Also if youre bored (and want more driving :D ) go up to Regensburg. Its the only major German city that wasnt demolished in the war so is a bit of a hidden gem.

Advertisement