Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Germany/on the continent for the first time: any tips?

Options
  • 09-07-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a car and driving from Frankfurt-Hahn to Bamberg on Saturday. My route is planned, but I'd just like to get some tips from people about continental driving. I've never done it before. Anything I should be aware of?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Don't hog the overtaking lane! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Heroditas wrote: »

Spot on!

Unless your car can really hit the mark and you're prepared to hold her there, just stay inside on those Autobahns. In general, if its your first time just take it slow and stay attentive. Do NOT drive with the same attitude that you drive with in Ireland. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Heroditas wrote: »

Yes some germans drive 200km/hr on the outside lane constantly so when switching to the fast lane be careful. I've noticed a load of these drivers when I was on a bus travelling from Nurenburg-Prague.

Might be worth looking at the autobahn section on the skyscrapercity forum too, I'd say there should be some photos on that route by posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Its easier that you'd think to get used to..as said above just stay on the inside lane(right side) on the autobahns and you cant go far wrong.

Its very helpful to have someone in the passenger seat to concentrate on junctions and all that sort of stuff. Also when you're on single carriage roads have someone i the front to constantly remind you as things like roundabouts can be confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Really concentrate on staying on the correct side of the road for the first hour or two and it'll click after that. Be paticularly careful with roundabouts.

Don't chage gear with the doorhandle :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its been a long time since I drove an LHD car on the continent... so I'm not sure how much different it is to using my own RHD as I have the last times. I've found that having a postit on the door pillar screaming at me to drive on the right was invaluable; and that your biggest risk factor in getting on to the wrong side is large carparks with one-way systems - you get disorientated and come out on to the wrong side when a two-way road opens up in them!

Staying in the right lane on autobahns is easy enough, just remember that you stay to the verge and overtake towards the median just like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/auto.htm
    http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/driving.html

I found those two sites which might be of use to you, no doubt Google has more. The AA's website has a section on continental driving too. In general I'd say it's down to concentrating, being aware of the different road rules and driving styles that prevail in other countries. That and not being in a rush... If you haven't already, it'd be worth spending a bit of time reading up on the road rules etc. IMHO.

I know in France you're sposed to have a copy of your insurance cert. with you, as well as your licence and the usual hi-vis, spare bulbs and that. Might need to bring that with you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prenderb wrote: »

I know in France you're sposed to have a copy of your insurance cert. with you, as well as your licence and the usual hi-vis, spare bulbs and that. Might need to bring that with you?

He's hiring a car, that'll all be in it. Germany requires all that and strongly suggests a fire extinguisher and first aid kit, for reference if someone else finds this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Their road signage and markings are very diff. to ours so go and google "German road signs" and/or "driving in Germany". Get familiar with any signs that carry a warningin German (assuming you don't speak the language)

Pay attention to all signs that you see and obey the speed limits

I've driven from F/furt-Hahn to Basel and as I recall, there's an amount of regular rural roads before you hit any autobahn, so take your time and stay focused.

Unless you can see 300/400 metres of clear road in your mirror, stay out of the overtakinglane on the autobahn unless you want an M3 embedded in your back window - overtaking is a serious business in Europe unlike on Irish motorways !

Lastly, they drive on the right - I know you know this but I'm not being facetious, you really do have to work at remembering this when you are on non-autobahn roads. It's the easiest thing in the world to pull out of the airport car rental yard and be distracted as you adjust your seat/mirror etc. and the habit of driving on the left suddenly means you're facing another car head-on because you've inadvertently strayed onto the "wrong" side of the road. Same goes fwhen negotiating busy urban junctions esp. ones with traffic islands - or after pulling out of a filling station / parking lot etc. Just remember, they drive on the right !

I've driven in over 20 European countries in the last 12/15 years, but I still "remind" myself for the first 20/30 mins. when taking the wheel on arrival in right-hand driving countries, and even more so if the vehicle I'm driving is a rental as it is also unfamiliar, and thus increases the "distraction" factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Really concentrate on staying on the correct side of the road for the first hour or two and it'll click after that. Be paticularly careful with roundabouts.

Don't chage gear with the doorhandle :pac:
    On and off motorways is different as the acceleration lanes are shorter than Ireland. Coming on drop her to third gear and bail to 120 before swinging in. Coming off get down to 60 before taking the sharp curve.

And there are shag all roundabouts in Germany as they only legally exist since about 5 or 6 years ago. Rule in Germany is stay to the right at all times so you can't go wrong. None of this Anglo Irish swerving through the roundabout like a black art. Just stick to the outside and indicate when turning off.

There are other nuances but they could be summarized into take it handy in towns and villages and keep your eyes open for a lot more signs than at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Pretend you are in Ireland, stick in the right hand lane and drive as slow as you like. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

For the autobahn, mirrors, mirrors, blind spot! especially the blind.. they come up the outside lane faster than jesus himself on a rocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Furet, I dont know if you have seen this page. It has a rake load of photos of the A5 and the A3 :

A3

A5

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Furet. Remember to enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You'll be grand, just relax and use your head. And enjoy the autobahn it's cool. Do use your mirrors all the time as those 6 litre mercs and beemers appear from nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks very much folks. I'll be taking the E42, E41, E43, E45, E48/A70 and finishing at junction 12 on the A70.

I hope my car has satnav. Looking forward to driving the back roads as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Furet wrote: »
    I hope my car has satnav. .

Rental company will be very pleased to hire one out to you.

dobsdave wrote: »
    Rental company will be very pleased to hire one out to you.

Any idea how much extra that would cost? As things are I'm paying €505 for an Opel Corsa for 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭angelIRL

Lived in Stuttgart for a year with work, and took the car over.

Keep your passport with you at all times in the car as there are plenty of Polizei checkpoints. Got caught twice without the passport and I got fined 25Euro the 2nd time.

Also, you need to have some reference that the car is yours. I carried around my road tax book and my insurance policy document so that was enough for the Polizei when they asked for it.

Take note as well, that if you are driving into a city, some Germany cities (Cologne & Stuttgart definitely) have become "Unwelt Zones" ("Enviroment Zones"). You need to have a sticker on your car to say it is a certain grade (green being the cleanest). If you are caught driving in the city without this sticker you can get fined. Again there are Polizei checkpoints to check for these. You can get one in advance. 7 Euro.

Edit: Just read that you are renting a car, so all the info I gave is not relevant, bar the passport part :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hi Op, I rented a car recently and drove from Charleroi to Aachen then to Dusseldorf and back again.

For the first few minutes its a bit odd its good if you have someone with you to remind you to keep on the correct side of the road when in residential areas! On the motorways its fine, as said above probably best to keep to the inside lane. The continentals actually use the overtaking lane as that, so your in the inside lane and someone comes up behind you they will expect you to move.

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

actually, was thinking about other stuff that can catch you out and basically the biggest is speed limits.

Biggest trap nearly is that towns do NOT have signs like in ireland saying they are 50kmh.
    The yellow sign at the entrance to a town IMPLICITLY means a 50kmh limit though. And that means be doing 50 as you pass the sign. (it was quite hilarious my first lesson in germany when i was obvlious to this and did about 100 into a village whilst on the lookout for a roundy limit sign like in ireland. The instructor near had a heart attack!)

If there are no speed limit signs up, then on normal roads outside towns you can do 100kmh. Just be careful though. Theres sh1t loads of limit signs and the police in Germany are out in numbers with their radar guns.
    The fines are on a sliding scale so the more you are over the more it costs.

re sat nav. Over 21 days you would be as cheap to buy one and then you have it for again. I got one in Aldi in cork and it has full maps for ireland and Germany (along with nearly every country in europe) for only 150 euro.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any idea how much extra that would cost? As things are I'm paying €505 for an Opel Corsa for 21 days.

Op mine was €10 per day from Charleroi, I presume your getting the 1.3cdti corsa? A nippy car I had the same while over there

Op mine was €10 per day from Charleroi, I presume your getting the 1.3cdti corsa? A nippy car I had the same while over there

Yup, that's the one. That's very steep...I had assumed in my naivete that satnav would come as standard in rental cars these days!

Yup, that's the one. That's very steep...I had assumed in my naivete that satnav would come as standard in rental cars these days!
    We should be so lucky!!
    I was planning on borrowing a friends but on the day before I travelled he realised it was only Ireland the UK it covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The yellow sign at the entrance to a town IMPLICITLY means a 50kmh limit though. And that means be doing 50 as you pass the sign.
    ...except where these signs are positioned on an Autobahn or Dual carriageway Bundestrasse (like the pic I took the other day on the A113);

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=68&pos=0

Speed limits/signage is deffo the hardest thing to get used to. The sign which cancels the urban speed limit (name of town with red line through it and distance to next urban area) can sometimes (often) be on the other side of the road and you may miss it and end up driving 'too' slowly for the conditions.

You need to have a list of control cities in your head when you navigate the Autobahn. The system relies less on the number and more on the destination!

Be careful about who has priority-know your german roadsigns-they are quite different. There are false friends too ie, signs you think you know what they mean but they don't.

If driving behind a tram and it stops in the middle of the street you may not pass it!

There are friggin loads of speed cameras here, both fixed and mobile and they even conceal them in dustbins and ordinary parked cars completely unattended and quietly catching loads of people for a few quid. Speed cameras are also to be found at traffic lights to catch you jumping them ;-) and forward facing cameras are the norm around here but can be on either side, don't know about Bamberg.

When parking you must leave your side lights on if the streetlights are going to turn off late at night (indicated by a red/white stripe around the lampposts).

PLAN your route carefully and check google maps for the junction layouts-they can be complex. Bring food-the Rasthoefe (MSA's) are expensive (got a sambo the other day and it was 3 euro! (Ok, expensive by Berlin standards ;-)

Enjoy the best roads in Europe though!

Thanks for all the tips lads; I arrived alive. Great experience - they don't half fly along in the overtaking lane. I am also shocked by how short the merging slips are...I think our motorways are better in this respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I hope you're not posting via iPhone while driving at warp factor 7 on some autobahn. :D

Hagar wrote: »
    I hope you're not posting via iPhone while driving at warp factor 7 on some autobahn. :D

Nope, safely ensconced in my hotel room. I'm just in the door after having spent the past half hour strolling around the town. Dead quiet here, but lovely and quaint. Like something from the 1700s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Go NOW and put a sign on the steering wheel saying "DRIVE ON RIGHT". First thing in the morning is when you'll make the mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Wayne2107 posted on another thread....
    I have to get this off my chest because it pisses me really off day in day out. I work for one of the biggest courier companys in the world (not Ups) and I use the M50 every day. The amount of people in the Fast lane (Outside) that hold up miles of traffic driving like owlones if amazing. Get in the inside lane you selfish muppets, these are the people that come from the outside lane, cross 2 lanes and exit the motorway while braking at the last minute. Most people in Ireland havent a clue how to use motorways, god bless us when the m50 is complete because were all fecked. If I had my way these morons would have to resit their tests and would be banned from using motorways. On a seperate note Ive noticed a lot of HGV,s and buses also hogging the 3rd lane, this is a major accident waiting to happen folks...

Now furet,in the context of your ongoing experiences on Germany`s Motorway system would you agree or disagree with the sentiments expressed.... :confused:
    I am also shocked by how short the merging slips are...I think our motorways are better in this respect.

Hmmm,perhaps "Better" is a tad OTT....Our merging slips are that length because our definition of Merging may be somewhat at varience with the German one....?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement