Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been left anything in a Will?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

Probably slightly off thread but I once worked in an area that dealt with the administration of Wills and one elderly lady had a morbid fear of being buried alive and specified that her veins were to be cut before she was placed in the coffin !
    My boss at the time was a rather domineering character and a difficult man to like had to go to the undertakers to be present at the time when a doctor opened the deceased's veins to ensure that her wishes were adhered to !
    I can still vividly remember his face when he staggered back to the office even though it's over 20 years ago - funnily enough he was a far easier person to deal with after that experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

When I was v young I stayed with my granny one weekend while my parents went away. I asked her, when you die can I have your claddagh ring?
    A very silly thing to say, but I was just a child (but havnt shaken off that trait though)
    My granny left me her ring but my mother lost it when we moved house

Always wonder where ring went to - if a medium would like to tell me??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've never been left anything, the only relatives that have died so far have not been well off.

I have a couple of rich single Aunties. But I have 31 cousins, so you do the maths!

Anyway for me, the most important things are the sentimental things, like grandad's pipe, or my grannies locket which her engagement photos in it. I'd never bank on getting left money or land. Causes more heartache than it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

... so you do the maths!

No. Do you own Maths. I'm sick of doing everyones maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Enough money to pay off morgage,buy a car,new kitchen,new garden,pay off bills and a few great holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Thankfully none of my family have died so no.

Anyway, The will would probably read "Phasers, pay the bleedin ESB bill"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was left a sum of money after a relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Hephaestus

My cousin was left (by a neighbour) a farm worth millions a few years back :D:):o :mad: :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Magnus wrote: »
    Was left a sum of money after a relative.

ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

no...
    but reminds me of the old expression...
    'where there's a will,there's a relative'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

was left jewellery by two relatives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

my step grandad died a number of years ago and when the time came to sell the property, my parents gave me and my bros €15,000 each. My bros had been informed of this beforehand, but the cheque was just plonked down in front of me after dinner one evening....still remember not being able to finish my desert i was in so much shock!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

deise blue wrote: »
    Probably slightly off thread but I once worked in an area that dealt with the administration of Wills and one elderly lady had a morbid fear of being buried alive and specified that her veins were to be cut before she was placed in the coffin !
    My boss at the time was a rather domineering character and a difficult man to like had to go to the undertakers to be present at the time when a doctor opened the deceased's veins to ensure that her wishes were adhered to !
    I can still vividly remember his face when he staggered back to the office even though it's over 20 years ago - funnily enough he was a far easier person to deal with after that experience.

I always thought that clauses like that in wills had no legal standing.... that you no longer own you body when your dead and can not tell people what to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I was left 25% of my grandmother's estate, but my aunt was to hold it in trust until her death, but my aunt went broke and spent it all, so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

*nothing*

Specifically *nothing*, the will said I was to get nothing. Cantankerous old cow,

Well **** that bitch, she used her will as a weapon to get people to suck up and be nice to her, take her on holidays and somesuch. They spent more money keeping her sweet than any of 'em got...

Good Riddance to her, and Good Riddance to the money hungry kissups who'll follow her soon enough when I get more thallium. j/k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

mickos wrote: »
    Eh he didn't do all that much though according to this but he was imprisoned for it.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christabel_Bielenberg

Is that the Indo journalists family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Amy33

My mother died when I was a child and it was understood that I would get all her jewelery when I turned 18, for some strange reason my uncles made a big deal out of giving it to me, I got it eventually when I was 22.

I was also meant to get my grandmother's jewelery, but that never happened, just can't be bothered fighting for it. People are so strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

My gran-uncle left instructions on his death bed, that I was to get a sugan chair, that he had made when he was only 12 or 13. He died at the age of 84, so its very old.
    Its not worth big money, but to me it's priceless. When I was a kid, whenever I'd call to see him, I'd sit on that chair (eating tayto's and drinking red lemonade), and he'd always say to me "You can have that chair when I'm dead and gone".
    It's one of my favourite possessions, if my house ever goes up in flames, I'l have that under one arm, and my laptop under the other while I'm making my escape:D

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I got a car (to share with another person in the family) but it wasn't really a will deal, just kind of ended up in my hands.
    There's also a cannonball from 1798 lying around somewhere but I'm not too sure who exactly it belongs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Not really left in a will but when my Grandad died he left me his dog training whistle, not worth anything but means a lot to me, i was very young at the time so my mother held it for me until I was a bit older.

Think I was the only grandchild he left anything to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement