Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what film

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

anyone know where i can source some cheap colour slide film ... like Ektachrome in largish batches, maybe 10 rolls. out of date is grand, and anyone know where ya can get neg film xproed in e6 locally?

Try 7dayshop, they occasionally have short dated and out dated film for cheap. Otherwise ebay is probably your best bet. Anywhere that does E6 development (abbey street place & merrion square ) will probably do your xpro for you, but bear in mind that the results are pretty uninspiring , low contrast & grainy. plus its more expensive than doing slide in C-41.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

anyone used this??

prod_104922.jpg

Its suposed to be the worlds finest grain colour film, sooo it should be good for landscapes. Or should i go with velvia 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well you'll get two quite different results from a colour negative and colour positive!!

If you're looking for the ease of negs, go for Ektar!

landyman wrote: »
    anyone used this??

prod_104922.jpg

Its suposed to be the worlds finest grain colour film, sooo it should be good for landscapes. Or should i go with velvia 50?

I've used it quite a bit. Tag search for 'ektar' on my flickr stream for some examples. I love it, and its fast replacing slide film for me. It has some of the look of slide, and I can develop it myself for about 1/5th the cost of a roll of slide.

That said, it's hard to beat Velvia ...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

anyone know where i can source some cheap colour slide film ... like Ektachrome in largish batches, maybe 10 rolls. out of date is grand, and anyone know where ya can get neg film xproed in e6 locally?

Repro35 will do your negs in E6.

• Advertisement

I've used it quite a bit. Tag search for 'ektar' on my flickr stream for some examples. I love it, and its fast replacing slide film for me. It has some of the look of slide, and I can develop it myself for about 1/5th the cost of a roll of slide.

That said, it's hard to beat Velvia ...

Ta daire, i might pick up some in town next week so

EDIT now that i think of it, where in dublin will i get it? Gunns?
    and what price am i looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

i only shoot provia 100f now. bought a scanner and got my dslr back. iso200 and over will be with my digital.
    slide film is beautiful. the bokeh seems smoother somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

The thread I started about colour casts in Velvia did not do this slide film justice. In sunny conditions, it is sharp and clear. Those with more experience probably know how to get the best out of it in less than ideal conditions.

[IMG][/img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3518/3224259515_0ea5796160.jpg3224259515_0ea5796160.jpghttp://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/3224259515/

This was desaturated a bit, as far as I can remember, to highlight the structural details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

This might be of interest to anybody who is nostalgic for old (and now obsolete) film types:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/boards_ie/discuss/72157603724489687/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Update:

Well, I shot my first roll of film on a SLR at the weekend (wooo hoooo). I had great plans of picking some of the wild and exotic film mentioned on this thread but when I got to a mini lab store the only thing they had was a 2+1 special of some fuji superia. Time didn't allow for a change of plan so that's what I shot.

My setup was a Pentax Me Super SLR and a lovely manual 50mm f1.7 takumar prime. It was bought originally for the lens and happened to have the body attached. I've never used it as a camera body since buying it (shame on me)

Impressions - well I loved it overall.

It wouldn't have me jettison digital and I doubt if it ever would but is was a whole lot of fun.

I was shooting manual-ish - obviously iso fixed which was at 400, aperture via the aperture ring, manual focus which I found much easier than the same lens on the digital body, and shutter speed determined by the in camera meter.

So picked up developed images today -

Firstly - I was so impressed that anything at all turned out. I had visions of being told that nothing was on the film :)

I didn't get a wow factor off the images but that's ok - my expectations weren't that high.

About 50-60% turned out quite ok and reasonably respectable but it has shown me some basic flaws in my photography that I can work on correcting. This is good.

The results varied from deep and rich colour to washed out bright images.

The rich deep colours are quite beautiful and aesthetically pleasing.

I'm wondering about the washed out shots. Very little in terms of contrast and saturation. I'm suspecting it was bordering on overexposure but I followed the metering on the camera and at no stage did it tell me it was bordering on overexposure. Perhaps it lied or perhaps i'm stoopid :D

I hadn't used any exposure compensation which was an option on the camera so perhaps I need to pay more attention to bright scenes and learn when to ignore the internal meter.

At the other end of the scale, I have noticed that the images with the rich and deep colour also has some wonderful strong contrast but as a result the eyes of some of the subjects are more black than blue so it looks a little like one big pupil - not in a freakish way but if looking for it then you'd know.

All in all, it was great fun, I enjoyed the irony of my 12 year old daughter walking around with about a grand worth of DSLR on her neck while I sported a €40 dinosaur. I need to work on my understanding of the film and the camera to reduce the instances of the washed out look and the overly saturated and contrasty images. I think overall it will improve my photography understanding, correct some flaws with the basics which i'm naturally correcting on digital pp rather than in camera, and hopefully I'll get some nice images along the way.

• Advertisement

CW meter on the camera I presume ? Generally you have to be more aware of what you're shooting, it's more prone to error than a fancy pants matrix meter (or multi segment or whatever canon calls them). Typically about maybe a quarter of shots I take using a CW meter I'll end up metering off something else and locking the exposure before re-composing and taking the shot.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Update:

Well, I shot my first roll of film on a SLR at the weekend (wooo hoooo). I had great plans of picking some of the wild and exotic film mentioned on this thread but when I got to a mini lab store the only thing they had was a 2+1 special of some fuji superia. Time didn't allow for a change of plan so that's what I shot.

My setup was a Pentax Me Super SLR and a lovely manual 50mm f1.7 takumar prime. It was bought originally for the lens and happened to have the body attached. I've never used it as a camera body since buying it (shame on me)

Impressions - well I loved it overall.

It wouldn't have me jettison digital and I doubt if it ever would but is was a whole lot of fun.

I was shooting manual-ish - obviously iso fixed which was at 400, aperture via the aperture ring, manual focus which I found much easier than the same lens on the digital body, and shutter speed determined by the in camera meter.

So picked up developed images today -

Firstly - I was so impressed that anything at all turned out. I had visions of being told that nothing was on the film :)

I didn't get a wow factor off the images but that's ok - my expectations weren't that high.

About 50-60% turned out quite ok and reasonably respectable but it has shown me some basic flaws in my photography that I can work on correcting. This is good.

The results varied from deep and rich colour to washed out bright images.

The rich deep colours are quite beautiful and aesthetically pleasing.

I'm wondering about the washed out shots. Very little in terms of contrast and saturation. I'm suspecting it was bordering on overexposure but I followed the metering on the camera and at no stage did it tell me it was bordering on overexposure. Perhaps it lied or perhaps i'm stoopid :D

I hadn't used any exposure compensation which was an option on the camera so perhaps I need to pay more attention to bright scenes and learn when to ignore the internal meter.

At the other end of the scale, I have noticed that the images with the rich and deep colour also has some wonderful strong contrast but as a result the eyes of some of the subjects are more black than blue so it looks a little like one big pupil - not in a freakish way but if looking for it then you'd know.

All in all, it was great fun, I enjoyed the irony of my 12 year old daughter walking around with about a grand worth of DSLR on her neck while I sported a €40 dinosaur. I need to work on my understanding of the film and the camera to reduce the instances of the washed out look and the overly saturated and contrasty images. I think overall it will improve my photography understanding, correct some flaws with the basics which i'm naturally correcting on digital pp rather than in camera, and hopefully I'll get some nice images along the way.

Older film slrs had a center weighted exposure which can get fooled by subjects that have a huge variation in light levels

My minolta 7000 has a center weighted meter and in some situations, that has a strong difference in light levels you have to use the AEL lock and meter for the midtones to get a correct exposure.

You could also test the light meter against your digital slr to determin how accurate it is.

That said, its fairly hard to over expose colour negative film, it has a huge exposure latitude compared to digital sensors.

Advertisement