Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr-enemies at work

Options
  • 08-07-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

This is something I just don't understand. I work with a bunch of people (Girls AND Lads-professionals at that)who have a bit of a click going on.( Now don't get me wrong - this ain't a jealousy thing- I do not want to have any part of their company, I just want to get on with working with them - just to be polite, professional etc)

They seem to live in each others pockets outside of work etc, thing is all they do Bitch/jeer each other behind the others back saying pretty mean things, it sort of amuses and stuns me at the same time to see how blantantly two-faced they are. Is this normal? BTW - I have and never would say anything to them about this because I couldn't be arsed getting involved in their little games.

Granted I know, in work you are sort of just thrown together with people you wouldn't necesscarily be friends with - but to me this doesn't mean you have to pretend to be friends. Just be civil, get on with it and do what you're there to do. I mean Life is hard enough without this sort of shi*e - am I wrong? any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Life isn't that hard, you're just doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Concentrate on the work you'll find you won't notice it much any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

igotone wrote: »
    This is something I just don't understand. I work with a bunch of people (Girls AND Lads-professionals at that)who have a bit of a click going on.( Now don't get me wrong - this ain't a jealousy thing- I do not want to have any part of their company, I just want to get on with working with them - just to be polite, professional etc)

They seem to live in each others pockets outside of work etc, thing is all they do Bitch/jeer each other behind the others back saying pretty mean things, it sort of amuses and stuns me at the same time to see how blantantly two-faced they are. Is this normal? BTW - I have and never would say anything to them about this because I couldn't be arsed getting involved in their little games.

Granted I know, in work you are sort of just thrown together with people you wouldn't necesscarily be friends with - but to me this doesn't mean you have to pretend to be friends. Just be civil, get on with it and do what you're there to do. I mean Life is hard enough without this sort of shi*e - am I wrong? any thoughts?

I've seen it often and avoid it like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

My attitude to work is.
    Roll in Monday morning, know the jokes, tell 'em the best way you can.
    Collect your cheque on friday & enjoy the weekend.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

My attitude to work is.
    Roll in Monday morning, know the jokes, tell 'em the best way you can.
    Collect your cheque on friday & enjoy the weekend.:)

And steal a few memory keys and fancy pens while you're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hate office politics. Don't pretend to like anyone, just do what you're supposed to be doing and don't allow them to include you in their bitching

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's how offices work, I don't partake in it myself but I personally find it HIGHLY entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

People are arseholes.

Also, made-up words like frenemies are really ****ing stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it sort of amuses and stuns me at the same time to see how blantantly two-faced they are. ?

welcome to ireland:)

the irish have to be the most bitchy two faced race on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Terry wrote: »
    People are arseholes.

Also, made-up words like frenemies are really ****ing stupid.
    Chillax, Ter.

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote: »
    Chillax, Ter.
    Qu'est-ce que c'est?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

This is why people should go to public schools!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I read the title wrong, I was expecting a thread on some french priest doing humanitarian work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Terry wrote: »
    Qu'est-ce que c'est?
    fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

fryup wrote: »
    welcome to ireland:)

the irish have to be the most bitchy two faced race on the planet

So we Irish are a race?? I assume you've met all the other 'races' to make such a sweeping statement.

OP I'd steer well clear of such people no good as collegues much less friends.

TheBlock wrote: »
    So we Irish are a race?? I assume you've met all the other 'races' to make such a sweeping statement.

OP I'd steer well clear of such people no good as collegues much less friends.
    This island was originally settled by people from Northern Spain. Then we had the Celts and the Brits (through all their incarnations),the vikings, the Normans and so forth, so I'd say we are a race all of our own.
    Id call us Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

I hate office politics. Don't pretend to like anyone, just do what you're supposed to be doing and don't allow them to include you in their bitching

Me too.
    There's this real jerk in my office called Tim.
    He keeps doing these stupid things to me, like hiding my stapler and pulling pranks on me with Dawn the secretary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Just wondering, do they do all this bitching openly in front of you, not really caring whether or not you're friends with the person/people they're bitching about?

(oh yeah, not trying to be a dickhead or anything, but i think you meant clique there rather than click)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

Yep, pretty much. They don't seem to care whos listening

Noted, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Fr-enemies.

That sounds like some part of your body that doesn't get talked about at parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

QFT.

I fcuking hated working in an office. When you are thrown in with a load of people, you are sort of forced to try get along with them. And the amount of arse licking that goes on is fcuking sickening. I cant fake being nice to someone I don't like, and coupled with a the fact that I speak my mind, I wouldn't have won a lot of people over. I dont give a sh1t, at least I know I'm being real. That said, there are a few I keep in touch with from past jobs though, genuine people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Abigayle wrote: »
    I dont give a sh1t, at least I know I'm being real.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

It seems to be just an unbearable fact of life. I know alot of people like that but they usually get whats coming to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

Me too.
    There's this real jerk in my office called Tim.
    He keeps doing these stupid things to me, like hiding my stapler and pulling pranks on me with Dawn the secretary.
    That's strange because there's this real jerk in my office called Jim.He keeps doing these stupid things to me, like hiding my stapler and pulling pranks on me with Pam the secretary.

Grimes wrote: »
    It seems to be just an unbearable fact of life. I know alot of people like that but they usually get whats coming to them

yes, a promotion:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

They bitch about themselves amongst themselves while you bitch about them online.

What's the difference except you're not talking to people you know?

Dinter wrote: »
    They bitch about themselves amongst themselves while you bitch about them online.

now you're bitchin :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 igotone

Dinter wrote: »

Their bitching can have repercussions, mine doesn't- I haven't named anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Their bitching can have repercussions, mine doesn't- I haven't named anybody.

Other than calling them all a bunch of **** and making things somewhat uncomfortable in work, the only other option is to keep doing what you've always done. Leave them to their bitching and stay firmly on the fence if anyone starts bitching about someone else in work.

If it all gets too much you could always do a sh1t in the cupboard, that should distract them for a few days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I find with these people that unles your with them its open season on your ass. I just cant lower myself to bitch behind someones back I think its cowardly and pathethic so I end up just ingoring the bitchers until they go away.

Advertisement