Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza '09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

CASTLE PALOOZA - SATURDAY 1ST AUGUST
    SATURDAY METRO MAIN STAGE
    David Kitt
    Project Jenny Project Jan
    Super Extra Bonus Party
    Dark Room Notes
    Angel Pier
    Glint
    The Lowly Knights
    So Cow
    Followers of Otis
    Yngve & the Innocent
    Killer Chloe
    The Red Embers

SAT - HMV STAGE
    Big Dish Go
    Scribble Sound System
    8 Ball
    Skibunny
    Not Squares
    Glam Rock Cops
    Rocky Horror Picture Show Live
    The Ambience Affair
    Holy Roman Army
    Land Lovers
    Hogan

SUN - METRO MAIN STAGE
    Noise Control
    Channel One
    Robotnik
    The Lost Brothers
    The Chapters
    Toy Horses
    Ceilí 202s
    The Spikes
    The Hot Sprockets
    The Red Labels
    Rob Power

SUN - HMV Stage
    Dj Tu Ki
    Dj Steve Reddy
    R.S.A.G
    Dj Baz
    Project Jenny Project Jan
    Le Galaxie
    Patrick Kelleher
    Nell Bryden
    Lauren Guillery
    Yoga Band

There is no map online but its pretty small so there is no real need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

@Doozie, thanks! :) Do you know what time it all kicks off at tomorrow? I wonder if a lie in before the trip up is an option!

I hear ya barkin big dog...

Gates open at 12 tomorrow (lie in possible)
    Camp site closes at 3pm on Monday

Not sure if you were there last year or not but parking is a distance away from the venue but free shuttle busses are bringing people up.

Bars are open 12 to 10pm:eek:! on Saturday and 10am :eek: to 10pm Sunday.

Still not sure what I'm going to do about the drink issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Check out So Cow and RSAG - best two bands on the lineup I'd say.

Yep agreed, RSAG played last year too. I always feel a bit weird when the same bands return again...

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Check out So Cow and RSAG - best two bands on the lineup I'd say.

Cheers! :p Super Extra Bonus Party are always great fun too, seen them a good few times and they always put on a good show.
    Doozie wrote: »
    Gates open at 12 tomorrow (lie in possible)
    Camp site closes at 3pm on Monday

Bars are open 12 to 10pm:eek:! on Saturday and 10am :eek: to 10pm Sunday.

Deadly, cheers for the info! Yeah, that drink thing is going to be a b1tch alright :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

What are we going to do about the drink ?

Anyone tried sneaking it in before?

Exar Khun wrote: »
    What are we going to do about the drink ?

Anyone tried sneaking it in before?

It's always do-able, it just depends on how well it's hidden... ;)

Its just if you do, you are doing so at your own risk.

Wait, will there be security checks between the camp sites and the festival grounds every time you enter? Sh1t

• Advertisement

cosmic wrote: »
    Wait, will there be security checks between the camp sites and the festival grounds every time you enter? Sh1t

Nope, they are one and the same (or they were last year). The entrance and check point are at the castle walls only. They dont have a line/fence between the camping areas around the castle and the venue.
    Ya gotta think small.

Ya gotta think small.

Ok, I finally got it, more like a Mantua or Life buzz. Sounds just perfect :)

It really is, the great thing about it is you keep meeting the same people and it becomes a little community. I'm excited about the music though, chilling with a pint, on the grass, listening to good chunes....
    come on good weather....make me happy!

I think it's supposed to rain! :eek: Sure some rain jackets and wellies and sure we'll be laughing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Im not talking about large quantities. Just enough for me and the missus to tide us over when were in the tent after getting pissed on you know?

Am i being unreasonable?

Just got this off met Eireann.....
    EEep
    Still....hopes are high
    I was at oxegyn on the Saturday and it will not be as bad as that!

Tomorrow

Windy tomorrow, Saturday, with a mix of sunshine and showers. Some of the showers will be heavy, with the risk of some thundery downpours, mainly affecting Ulster, Connacht and north Leinster. Highest temperatures 16 to 19 degrees, with fresh to strong and gusty westerly winds.

Outlook

Mostly dry Saturday night with showers dying out and winds moderating. Sunday will start mostly fine also, but it will turn wet during the day, with rain and strong southerly winds. Monday and Tuesday will be windy as well with showers or longer outbreaks of rain, and some bright spells. Highest daytime temperatures will generally range 16 C to 19 C, with mostly southerly winds.

Ah sure it's all in the name of fun! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Great to see Noise Control heading Sunday! Always enjoyed them live!

Very excited about this now! Roll on Sat morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Anyone know what the deal with camper vans is? Will we end up miles away in a temp car park?

:(:(:(:(:(:(
    not going any more

the ars3wipe who was selling us the tickets at a nice price got a better offer from someone else so is giving it to them instead. bad form if you ask me. and me and my OH can't afford to buy full price tickets. :(

oh well, have fun everyone who is going

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal with camper vans is? Will we end up miles away in a temp car park?

Well judging from the internet its in the car park which is, if memory serves me right, about a 30 minutes walk (longer at night!) but I didn't think there was major hassle getting taxis at that time....I cant swear by it though....

cosmic wrote: »
    not going any more

sorry to hear that dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Yep agreed, RSAG played last year too. I always feel a bit weird when the same bands return again...

Thank god they didn't put on Tassle Club AGAIN! Also looks like they are laying off on the old reliables such as Spring Break and Republic of Loose (in one form or another). The Chapters have played EVERY Castlepalooza though.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭legofsalmon

I completely forgot I started this thread! Nice to see it's panned out though.

Cheers for the input everyone though, this is my first time going, and I havn't been to anything on a smaller scale so its cool.

I ended up getting an artists pass cause we're playing the festival! :) If anyone wants to stop by and have a nose would be great to see people here, this is our first 'festival' appearance. The band is called the Glam Rock Cops and we're on after the Rocky Horror Picture Show on the HMV stage on Saturday, about 9pm as far as I know.

After reading the general good reviews of previous years I'm looking forward to it. Hope everyone has a good time! :)

Also... on those off license opening times... did that say that its only open between 8pm and 10pm? What about people heading down for 12pm tomorrow? No boozing at the campsite? Or trips too and from the bar?

Also... on those off license opening times... did that say that its only open between 8pm and 10pm? What about people heading down for 12pm tomorrow? No boozing at the campsite? Or trips too and from the bar?

As you've an artist pass you will probably get away with bringing in drink. However yes I noticed the issue with the offie and not opening before 8. The official line is to drink from the bar before then. The campsite is less than a five minute walk there and back to the bar so its not that major a deal. Unofficialy I'm sure there will be plenty of drink in the campsites.

What an absolutely brilliant weekend!
    It was perfect.
    No rain, the beer thing was fine, got some in no problem, bought a slab for 60 quid which was grand.
    The music was excellent, I nearly lost my life over L'Galaxie,
    Other highlights were -
    Super Extra Bonus Party
    David Kitt
    Angel Pier
    Scribble (thingy name, I cant remember, didn't have them on the main line up)
    The Spikes
    8 Ball

Brilliant, great crowd too

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭markcellardoor

was a great weekend yeah. Great crowd, some very decent people there. Goes to show that small festivals have that extra intimacy about them.

Quality of music was very good. La Galaxie absolutely destroyed the place with a top class set. They were really up for it. (Apparently they weren't happy with their set in Indiependence the night before) "TUNE"

other highlights were Super Bonus Extra Party, The Hot Sprockets (these guys are going to take off soon methinks) Noize Control & RSAG (as usual)

One thing i did notice was how you would keep seeing the same people around the whole time it was so small. Added to the the close atmosphere i think.

Did anybody else notice there was a loads of girls going around with fake moustaches? (theme of the weekend i think)

Again though the crowd were top class... really good buzz about the place. great warm up for picnic.

was a great weekend yeah. Great crowd, some very decent people there. Goes to show that small festivals have that extra intimacy about them.

Quality of music was very good. La Galaxie absolutely destroyed the place with a top class set. They were really up for it. (Apparently they weren't happy with their set in Indiependence the night before) "TUNE"

other highlights were Super Bonus Extra Party, The Hot Sprockets (these guys are going to take off soon methinks) Noize Control & RSAG (as usual)

One thing i did notice was how you would keep seeing the same people around the whole time it was so small. Added to the the close atmosphere i think.

Did anybody else notice there was a loads of girls going around with fake moustaches? (theme of the weekend i think)

Again though the crowd were top class... really good buzz about the place. great warm up for picnic.

Yeah, class.
    Thats one of the main things I like about it, you see the same faces and have the craic. My mate was a bit pissed off that the showers didn't work as planned but its all good. I didn't see girls with moustaches but ...actually...I may have a vague recollection of a few guys going around....
    I hope the crowd stays with that age group, ie. not oxegyn.

Another good year with a few small complaints. They are definetly learning from their past mistakes though.

I was a bit annoyed the water (and the toilets) messed up again but they handled it well with getting the emergency portaloos in so quickly and keeping them relatively clean that it didn't become a major issue.

They also added 50p to the advertised price of the pint but I'm guessing this was to stop problems with change and bar speed however really should have thought of it sooner and not advertised another price.

Also that the off license prices started at 8pm wasn't made clear. Lots of people giving out slabs were 80quid instead of the advertised 60quid when they were 60quid after 8pm. As said before a bit cheaky to say that there is an onsite off license to make up for the lack of being able to bring booze in when said offie isn't open offie times. However bag checks were once again minimal so I guess that was only an issue if you played by the rules.

I think the food selection was a bit better this time and a few more things to see and do. Nice that lucozade decided to give each person about 10 free bottles and the drinking water on site was fine so never paid a penny for non alcoholic drinks/mixers which was nice.

Music was top notch and kudos to the sound systems and lights in both venues. They're not afraid to keep things loud until late in the night unlike alot of festivals so good show there!

Le Galaxie definetly seemed to be overall winner. The Lowly Knights were a nice surprise as I hadn't heard them before. Dark Room Notes were a good run up to Super Extra Bonus Party who were excellent fun. R.S.A.G. was his usual excellent self though I feel I've seen him a good few times now and his set needs a bit of a change.

Ultimately I spent a lot of the festival just chilling. Sitting around with mates and a few beers. Everything is within 2mins of each other (that includes the campsite) so the ability to head back to the tent after a gig and relax may have meant I missed alot more than I would at a bigger festival but made a nice change to the hectic pace of say EP or the like. The music went well into the night though if someone wanted to stay up dancing so something for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Agree. Had a deadly weekend. RSAG and Noise Control blew me away. And the rain on sunday evening didnt really matter as far as punters were concerned I reckon - well not for me anyway - blast of a weekend all around!

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Yet another brilliant Castlepalooza. It comes in a very close second to Electric Picnic as my weekend of the year. Some great performances...but Noise Control stole it for me. And the crowd were brilliant! Great attitude despite the rain on the Sunday night.

Really need to sort out the water issue! It was 3pm on the Saturday when it first went this time!

9/10 overall! Well done Cherrycool!

Advertisement