Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nobody seems into hip hop here

Options
  • 08-07-2009 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

the title says it all :(

very little interest in rap on this board, its heartbreaking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

To be honest, I think hip hop's popularity as a whole is waning. I'm not an expert at all, but personally, i loved the stuff from the mid/late 90's and the first maybe four years of this decade. The stuff nowadays just doesn't excite me. Too commercial, too mainstream, too politically correct. None of my friends who were into it no longer like it

Not saying there's no good hip hop about at the minute, its just kinda became over saturated, tired. Look at Dre's follow up to 2001. How many years has that been on the backburner? You wonder why. Is he bored too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭CrankyStudent

yeah but its about finding the right music, the hip hop that you hear on the radio or tv id flick off in an instant cuz its all ****

im all about meanigful lyrics, even the likes of dre 2001 to me are **** to be honest

im just suprised theres not more interest into underground hip hop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭LeotheLion

all the old stuff like NWA,the lost boyz,mobb deep, Dmx and of course snoops early stuff was good,

Rap these days is rubbish same with dance music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i listen to hip hop

rarely talk of it - i only browse to see if there is anything worth checking that i might miss otherwise

get sages new sick of waiting album

sick of wasting ya mean?

never was huge on sage, a few things impressed me majorly, like "makeshift patriots"

its just his flow and content can almost go to far off the norm to be different that it loses all sense

heres makeshift patriot for anyone who aint heard it, alot of it stems from 9/11 opinions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtNMly0aDUk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

NAS was right... Hip-hop is dead (for now)

nah man, so many unreal emcees out at the moment

joe budden, royce, crooked i, joell ortiz (aka slaughterhouse) = best supergroup going

PS: hip hop aint dead it just emigrated

this is ****ing off the wall , dont sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I love Hip Hop and Indie but my experiences on both boards here are that the regulars try to constantly one-up each other in terms of credibility and anything with a smidgen of popularity (save genuine legends like Jay-Z/Nas) isn't taking seriously or discussed (the genuine consensus is Kanye is crap, Lil Wayne is crap, Drake is crap, Asher Roth is crap etc etc so why bother). I don't follow hip hop as religiously as a lot of people here so I'm not too up on many of the underground rappers mentioned so I don't post that often. Plus some people post in silly fake thug-speak which is just more amusing than anything

well kanye aint crap, hes a musician, more then a rapper

lil wayne is fairly **** in my opinion, i cant comprehend the hype

asher roth i havnt got into yet but the few things ive heard i have liked

as for drake im biding my time before i start listening to him :P dunno why but i keep putting it off

personally i dont have mtv or any them channels, i also never listen radio cuz i dont have a car and i wouldnt sit in my house listening to it, so i dont get to hear the most commericial songs that are floating around

i just follow my own style and taste in rap, which is limited enough to be fair

but it is up with my biggest loves in life, hip hop, football, sessions and women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

I love the stuff - bought over 500 rap CDs but it's difficult to buy new ones in Dublin as I don't buy online.

• Advertisement

i stopepd buying cd's cuz i either lose it, or it gets damaged

downloads are where its at :D

heres a song i love for yas to have a look at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm only getting into hip hop as of recently, but I really don't like all the stuff that's popular and considered to be hip hop. I love Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, DJ Shadow, that kinda stuff is what I consider to be 'proper' hip hop.

Kanye West is a musician? I thought he was more of a businessman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

I love Hip Hop and Indie but my experiences on both boards here are that the regulars try to constantly one-up each other in terms of credibility and anything with a smidgen of popularity (save genuine legends like Jay-Z/Nas) isn't taking seriously or discussed (the genuine consensus is Kanye is crap, Lil Wayne is crap, Drake is crap, Asher Roth is crap etc etc so why bother). I don't follow hip hop as religiously as a lot of people here so I'm not too up on many of the underground rappers mentioned so I don't post that often. Plus some people post in silly fake thug-speak which is just more amusing than anything

Agree with this post completely.

Many new posters are probably hesitant to post here for fear of being ripped apart by the regulars. You are crucified for having your own opinion or liking any rapper in the charts. (Ever wonder why these guys are popular, lads? Maybe they're making good music?) Dropping the name of some underground German rapper that nobody has heard of or cares about does not make you cool.

I should add that I'm a long-time lurker here and I laugh when I see the same old phrases and topics regurgitated repeateldy: Tupac was overrated, rap has gone commercial, irish accents in rap etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Ive always been a fan of the aul hippidy-hop-hop!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Most people who like Hip-Hop dont post their opinions on here, because alot of it is critisism. Threads like "Lil Wayne is ****", as i read that, as a HUGE fan of Lil Wayne i know i shouldnt bother.

I love all types of Hip Hop. I love KRS-1, Nas, Talib Kweli, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy, Jay-Z, Cypress Hill, Tupac, Biggie, The Game... everything, if its got a good beat or rythm to it.

Some people are picky in their music tastes, some like Dance, Trance, Showtunes whatever, but with Hip Hop, it seems alot of people have their own sub-divisions in Hip Hop, like i come across alot of people who claim Hip Hop is dead and refuse to accept new artists, but also those who only like the stuff on Spin 1038.

I dont have those sub-divisions, my only rule is if its on Spin, its a no go. lol. Alot of people on here are big into Underground stuff, i cant say that i am, but when i stumble onto one of those long radio sessions of underground stuff ive never heard of, it can be brilliant.

Ill prob get slated for posting this, but it doesnt bother me. My taste in music is for me. It seems people are reluctant to post a new artist for the fact that someone will definately come in and say its crap, commercial or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm a big fan of hip-hop but I won't buy stuff that comes out these days, save for tried and tested artists like OutKast and Nas.

For me, I just haven't found any new artists that I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

I know I am one of the biggest [FONT=&quot]perpetrators of name dropping here however I listen to nearly 5 hours of hip-hop daily. I don't lil wayne because lyrically he is just terrible, I don't like Kanye anymore because he sold out, I don't Asher Roth because its just white-preppy bull****, wouldn't listen to it in anyother genre and Drake is just far too overproduce.

And for those who are looking for some underground names:
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

What is the point of this thread!! :mad:

'Rap these days is rubbish same with dance music'

These generalised comments do not lead to any sort or proper discussion at all

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm going to admit to it...i'm one of the posters who will drop names of underground or maybe more obscure rappers/groups out there. The only intention is to spread the word and discuss thier music, they too fall into the genre of hip hop.
    I do also wade into alot of the discussions on the more commercial side because this is music that i also listen to, i may not like all the artists that are in the mainstream (see my earlier post on Drake!) but i do listen and make my opinion based on what i think. And i try not to criticise others for what they like, each to thier own. If i have offended anyone then a thousand apologies. I hate the idea that people wont post here because they expect a backlash.
    One of the main reasons i come back here time and time again is because of the new artists that are recommended that i havent heard of or ignored. For me there are some gems discovered from other peoples suggestions here. An example of this is the Q-Tip album last year, i wouldnt have shown much interest in this but because the reviews from here where super positive, i went out and discovered that it is a dope album.

What is the point of this thread!! :mad:

what ya on about? this is probably the most used "board/forum" as irish ones go

and hip hop discussions seem prety non existent, thats what the point of it is

tryna suss out why theres lack if interest

• Advertisement

yeah but its about finding the right music, the hip hop that you hear on the radio or tv id flick off in an instant cuz its all ****

im all about meanigful lyrics, even the likes of dre 2001 to me are **** to be honest

im just suprised theres not more interest into underground hip hop

What meaningful lyrics did Dre 2001 have? Anyway thats off topic ;)

Check out the link http://www.chopshop.fm/blogroll/chopshops-best-albums-of-08/

Orizio compiled a damn good round up of the best hip hop from last year so try out a few of those, which has a lot of stuff that isn't mainstream (altho he is still wrong about the No. 1 which should be Elzhi:D)

Also another good thread at the moment with 2009 hip hop which has some good stuff in it. There is a lot of great hip-hop at the moment, you just have to search for it.

Also check out Brother Ali which is someone i have only started listening to recently, god damn its good

i said i think dre is ****, so he had no meaningful lyrics :P

as for brother ali, savage, i went to see him and atmosphere play in dublin and it was quality

as for brother ali, savage, i went to see him and atmosphere play in dublin and it was quality

WTF!!! When was this? Atmosphere (slug) are savage aswell. Looking forward to Ali's new album which was just finished recently i think

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Disco Bandit

saul williams and N.A.S.A. (playin in crawdaddys last night or tonight btw) are the 2 best contempery hiphop ensaumbles around in my oppinion, good luck hearing any of it on tv or the radio though.

http://www.myspace.com/nasa
    tom waits, david byrne both on their album great gateway hiphop album for those normally dismissive of hippedyhop

http://www.myspace.com/saulwilliams
    produced by reznor from NIN for some gritty sounds

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New Brother Ali album called "Us" is dropping soonish, it was previously titled "Street Preacher" but recently changed it as it didnt fit the theme of the album.
    From what i hear it's done and dusted and artwork and mixing is complete, just waiting on Rhymesayers for an official release date.

WTF!!! When was this? Atmosphere (slug) are savage aswell. Looking forward to Ali's new album which was just finished recently i think
    they played just over a year ago

Atmosphere are on a European Tour at the moment and not stopping in dublin :(

POS was on a European Tour and didnt stop in Ireland last month

Ali has a European Tour scheduled for the last quarter of the year, lets just hope he stops in Ireland

EDIT: All are on Rhymesayers....they may not think it's financially viable to stop here

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    they played just over a year ago

Atmosphere are on a European Tour at the moment and not stopping in dublin :(

POS was on a European Tour and didnt stop in Ireland last month

Ali has a European Tour scheduled for the last quarter of the year, lets just hope he stops in Ireland

EDIT: All are on Rhymesayers....they may not think it's financially viable to stop here

Yeah only saw the atmosphere dates last week on rhymesayers website, would of head to London to see them altho they are still in germany now, how much are flights!!

Might badger Ali on his facebook constantly, i'm sure that will make them come to Dublin! :o

Yeah only saw the atmosphere dates last week on rhymesayers website, would of head to London to see them altho they are still in germany now, how much are flights!!

Might badger Ali on his facebook constantly, i'm sure that will make them come to Dublin! :o
    I was going to go to germany for the POS tour but dates conflicted for me....the atmosphere tour ends tomorrow in Leipzig.

me my mate and slug

5103504446a8270937341l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Always been a fan of hip-hop, old school that it. The time of Snopp And Dres 'Nothing But A G Thang' and all that. Not Really into todays version of hip hop!
    But there is a load of good Irish Hip hop talent out there and I have first hand accounts on em as my bf is one of them :D.. Head down to Eamon Dorans Wednesday night and they do have a good Irish hip hop show.

Advertisement