Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon vote October 2nd - How do you intend to vote?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Orizio wrote: »
    Just voted 'No' after voting 'Yes' the first time. A matter of principle, i.e. we stop living in a truly liberal nation when we are asked to vote repeatedly until we get the right result. This second vote simply isn't valid to any true liberal.

Regarding the 'Lisbon Treaty' itself, I have no problems with it, since its essentially just some E.U. adminstrative house-keeping and tweaking. Its actual effects on Ireland will be pretty minimum, if passed, and certainly it is nowhere near as controversial as people/politicians are making it out to be. Really, the past few months 'debate' on the Lisbon Treaty has been pathetic, no more then scare-mongering and irrelevent nonsense, and proves just how despicable Irish politicans are.

Good post do not know how to thank you. I voted no the first time because of what I consider a democratic deficit. That was only proved to me in the course of the last year.

I did not vote this year. My vote was blatantly ignored, I feel disenfranchised, unless I agree with politicians there is no point.

Why bother? But I commend your principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

There is always a guardai presence at polling stations.

They are usually doing the rounds between rooms or possibly stations in the same town but they are always close at hand

I have worked on...about 5 differenct polls since 2004 and i have always seen a gardai presence at the stations im at.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Seriously, I do not trust the current government with todays result, I think they are that corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Got to love the Green Bin Cumann of Fianna Fail.

http://www.feasta.org/documents/democracy/deburca.htm
    G'wan Deirdre DeBurca. Noting like a side swapper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Seriously, I do not trust the current government with todays result, I think they are that corrupt.

Yeah ok, thats great.

Why bother voting ever then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was unable to vote as I amn't living in my hometown at the moment.I am very glad that people voted yes.Many of the reasons for voting no were illogical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Pity they didn't think of going corrupt 18 months ago. Would have saved a lot of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭fligedlyflick

anyone else see the laughable irony where an economic mess orchestrated by brian cowen and fianna fail was used to browbeat the voters into a yes vote?

i hope the yes camp finally realise the root of their victory today was millions refusing to vote in a re-run of the same treaty,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

i hope the yes camp finally realise the root of their victory today was millions refusing to vote in a re-run of the same treaty,

More people voted then last time, Chief.

I dont think the yes camp are the ones in need of great realisation

Fuhrer wrote: »
    More people voted then last time, Chief.

I dont think the yes camp are the ones in need of great realisation

no, it's evolved into a middle class supremacy vote anyway, so a yes vote really does fit in with irelands outlook, 2 class health service, 2 class education service, 2 class vote respect service

• Advertisement

Antrim_Man wrote: »

yes they are that corrupt to dabble in some vote rigging but they would'nt have the mental capacity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Well I voted NO and expect to have another opportunity to vote again in due course - it's only fair since the YES side won this time. Will it make any difference to the corrupt, awful way this country is run - I think not! Wait until the general election and we will see the smug grins wiped off the faces of those pxxxxks - Ahern, Cowen, and Dick Roche...not that the alternative is any better but at least the present shower of criminals will be put out to grass. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Seriously "millions" :confused:.. anybody who didn't vote and would have voted no have no one to blame but themselves. However judging by the higher turnout etc this time I would suggest that it was the people who didn't bother voting the last time which gave a no victory to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭someoneok

Well I voted NO and expect to have another opportunity to vote again in due course - it's only fair since the YES side won this time. Will it make any difference to the corrupt, awful way this country is run - I think not! Wait until the general election and we will see the smug grins wiped off the faces of those pxxxxks - Ahern, Cowen, and Dick Roche...not that the alternative is any better but at least the present shower of criminals will be put out to grass. :mad:

This may be a little something you will like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

someoneok wrote: »

This may be a little something you will like
    fixed it for you

Odd... i think we just happen to have a majority of "no" voters on boards then usual. Tbh i'm not into conspiracy theories much but the amount of areas that voted yes over no is rather overwhelming... i only found 1 that had a slight majority of "no". I support yes myself but with so many people campaigning on streets and about 2/3 times the signs for no as there were for yes (and to be honest all the signs for "yes" being rather bland and uninteresting) i was expecting a no vote or at least a little less overwhelming majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Idiocy!!! And people were conned into a yes vote by this?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Idiocy!!! And people were conned into a yes vote by this?:o

ok lads we need a tutorial on how post youtube links... you take out the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= and just leave the code in

prinz wrote: »
    Seriously "millions" :confused:.. anybody who didn't vote and would have voted no have no one to blame but themselves. However judging by the higher turnout etc this time I would suggest that it was the people who didn't bother voting the last time which gave a no victory to begin with.

:confused:
    a few words in your post there i'd like to point to.

"this time"
    "voting the last time"
    "no victory to begin with"

the family and friends of irish democracy would like to thank you for attending it;s funeral yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Anyone else finds it amusing how wrong this poll is

how many people in low paying countries did Ganley pay off to screw the poll?

ei.sdraob wrote: »

how much did cowen pay faber-castell? :D

• Advertisement

:confused:
    the family and friends of irish democracy would like to thank you for attending it;s funeral yesterday

I suppose you're also active in repealing any amendments to the constitution which were originally rejected and later accepted are you? Any evidence to show you were bothered by this prior to the last few weeks?

and were you or are you highly active in pushing constitutional changes through when your last vote was insufficient :confused:

and were you or are you highly active in pushing constitutional changes through when your last vote was insufficient :confused:

I wasn't elgible to vote on any so far. But I would have no problem doing so, or campaigning for something I believed was right. However back to you, I take it you now acknowledge that Friday wasn't "democracy's funeral", since by your reckoning democracy must have died long ago in this country :confused:

I wasn't elgible to vote on any so far. But I would have no problem doing so, or campaigning for something I believed was right. However back to you, I take it you now acknowledge that Friday wasn't "democracy's funeral", since by your reckoning democracy must have died long ago in this country :confused:

trust me, when you are eligible to vote and find on two occasions your vote was ignored (nice and lisbon), you too shall smell the vile stench of decomposition from irish democracy.

trust me, when you are eligible to vote and find on two occasions your vote was ignored (nice and lisbon), you too shall smell the vile stench of decomposition from irish democracy.

I have voted on Nice and Lisbon, I was referring to the numerous times previous to those that the Irish people voted in many referenda on the same topic. So are you going to say democracy actually died years ago? Or is it ok that we accept amendments that were previously defeated...just as long as they don't relate to the EU? You're showing a very selective memory.

ei.sdraob wrote: »

part of the reason for the poll being so wrong is that the poll was open for so long.
    FFS what polling company conducts its research over an entire month or several months with absolutely no control over the genre of participants.
    The poll should have been forthnightly and closed after 4 days or something and a consecutive new one put up.

The last lisbon referendum poll got lucky in my opinion because of the if you don't know vote no factor that pushed the real vote over to no.
    It was also lucky because the general trend in the real world during the campaign was towards no whereas the boards population was decidedly no.
    If you ever wanted an example of how keeping a poll open for the entire campaign and not running a few polls at different times skews things up -look at the 2007 general election poll ran on the boards politics forum.
    That was so wrong it was crazy.

Boards polls in my opinion can be usefull but thats peppered strongly by its demographic versus real life,and by the easy nature of activist invasions of the vote often and vote early variety ie many low or no post re registered/multi registered posters being the multi vote element.
    That skew doesn't come into play in scientifically carried out polls done by the companies used by the newspaper/tv and radio stations.

I have voted on Nice and Lisbon, I was referring to the numerous times previous to those that the Irish people voted in many referenda on the same topic. So are you going to say democracy actually died years ago? Or is it ok that we accept amendments that were previously defeated...just as long as they don't relate to the EU? You're showing a very selective memory.

i never mentioned exclusive EU involvement in the demise of irish democracy, several other referendum have been re-run to serve the concerns of fianna fails/fine gaels/ etc cronies.
    our irish constitution caters for a neutrality which was purposely abused by fianna fail by bowing to american pressure contrary to the populations wishes. (example)
    i could go into further grievances i have regarding the lack of proper democracy in this country but this is a debate about the lisbon treaty and how fianna fail/fine gael/labour and private citizens like michael o'leary managed to turn an economic crisis orchestrated by european leaders and fianna fail and their buddies into a threat of worse to happen if we voted no, i know i'm going of the topic here but my selective memory prevents me acknowleding the paltry benifits we are supposed to gain from the most colossal one-sided debate and tyrannical bullied re-vote in history regarding the irish constitution

i never mentioned exclusive EU involvement in the demise of irish democracy, several other .... tyrannical bullied re-vote in history regarding the irish constitution

All I can see is blah blah blah Lisbon, but I think I see an admittance that yesterday wasn't in fact as you claimed it was "the funeral of Irish democracy".

All I can see is blah blah blah Lisbon, but I think I see an admittance that yesterday wasn't in fact as you claimed it was "the funeral of Irish democracy".

blah blah blah?.
    how commendable to see you at least stay true to your beliefs and counter any explanation by an irish citizen with such a puerile condescending nature.

did you rub your hands in glee when cowen announced the no vote as blah blah blah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It is absolutely sickening that a vote can be won by propaganda like this... There should be rules and laws that make it impossible to say anything but the truth. This goes for both the no and yes side, and both are as bad as eachother when it comes to talking with their arses. Yes for jobs, no for min wage of 1.84 (or whatever figure they state).

Why are these scum of the earth allowed to lie and take advantage of the vunerable. Of course they are going to state that a yes vote will give us jobs in this time of crisis. By stating lies like this, you have secured votes of the unemployed, their parents, children friends and other family members. I am unemployed and I voted NO!

I hope I am wrong, but I have a very very bad feeling about this whole thing. Blair going for EU president? Are we insane? Who would elect americas pupet to lead us? There would be all out war on americas enemies all in the name of "terror". Makes my blood boil.

Advertisement