Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Camera Signs on the M50

Options
  • 08-07-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

I've noticed 'speed camera' signs both ways between the N4 and M1 junctions... no sign of any cameras yet... any reason why they'd put the signs up without cameras - surely it's misinformation which is all you need going at motorway speed (60km/h :rolleyes:). Does it devalue the genuine signs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I think the reason is that they have to put up signs were there maybe mobile speed cameras for example. On the N3 just after Scotts aroundabout there's one but there's no fixed camera until near Dunboyne or somewhere like that, which doesn't even work, but there was a time when you'd have the gatso van under the first flyover. Sames goes for the N4 outbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

seems a bit keystone cops... there's no speed camera between the N4/M50 Junction and the M1 and same in the other direction... yet they've put up three signs in either direction in this area. I have no problem with speed cameras, if they're going to put them up then put them up but don't mislead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

It shouldn't make any difference whether you know they're there or not, unless you are knowingly breaking the speed limit but I do see where you're coming from though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd prefer if they put up "keep left unless overtaking" signs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

minikin wrote: »
    I've noticed 'speed camera' signs both ways between the N4 and M1 junctions... no sign of any cameras yet... any reason why they'd put the signs up without cameras - surely it's misinformation which is all you need going at motorway speed (60km/h :rolleyes:). Does it devalue the genuine signs?

There used to be a fixed camera there, but it dispeared during the upgrade works, all that remains is the sign.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think they only put these in on monday, and then tuesday morning, the guards were parked up between ballymun and finglas and the traffic was crazy because if them. People slowing down to 20kph on both sides for no reason, they weren't even doing speed checks. And ofcourse the usual, pass them and it started moving again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

Used this section of road this morning and again this evening, this morning it was fine, everyone driving allong at around 100kph but coming back off the M1 going Southbound on the M50, people were crawling at 60kph, I didn't see any speed cameras around, is there actually any?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've tried and given up travelling at the speed limit on the M50, It feels too dangerous being passed by hgv's and cars and vans doing 40+kmh more than you. I've been tailgated and beeped many times.
    The most dangerous part is definitely where the limit drops from 100 to 60 just after the toll, you then have 2 lanes on your left doing 100+ and a lane on your right doing the same and drivers flying up behind you in the 3rd lane from the left and having to stand on their brakes as they don't expect slow traffic in the middle of the road.

How many vehicles break the speed limit on the M50 per day and how many accidents have there been there? It's a joke of a limit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

How many vehicles break the speed limit on the M50 per day and how many accidents have there been there? It's a joke of a limit.

Well since so much of it nearly finished, its the same road that will be 100kph in a matter of time. Its basically for the safety of the workers, and work vehicles that need to travel on at times.

I would prefer if the limit was higher, but some of the drivers that use it really have no idea when it comes to driving, the amount of tail gating is a joke, on dry conditions never mind wet. Nobody will leave enough space from the car infront, which i can only guess is encase someone moves in from the inside lane and gets ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The most dangerous part is definitely where the limit drops from 100 to 60 just after the toll, you then have 2 lanes on your left doing 100+ and a lane on your right doing the same and drivers flying up behind you in the 3rd lane from the left and having to stand on their brakes as they don't expect slow traffic in the middle of the road.
    Um, shouldn't you be in one of the left hand lanes?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Um, shouldn't you be in one of the left hand lanes?

If he is talking about northbound after the toll, then those two lanes on the left are only if leaving the motorway at blanch. He going to finglas he is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

I have to get this off my chest because it pisses me really off day in day out. I work for one of the biggest courier companys in the world (not Ups) and I use the M50 every day. The amount of people in the Fast lane (Outside) that hold up miles of traffic driving like owlones if amazing. Get in the inside lane you selfish muppets, these are the people that come from the outside lane, cross 2 lanes and exit the motorway while braking at the last minute. Most people in Ireland havent a clue how to use motorways, god bless us when the m50 is complete because were all fecked. If I had my way these morons would have to resit their tests and would be banned from using motorways. On a seperate note Ive noticed a lot of HGV,s and buses also hogging the 3rd lane, this is a major accident waiting to happen folks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'll just say it then .. .. as you're ranting and someone has to (it's obligatory). There is no "fast lane" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

minikin wrote: »
    I think later on inthe year, speed cameras are going to be put out for private tender. Ie leased to a private company. Cue liveline show!

I'll just say it then .. .. as you're ranting and someone has to (it's obligatory). There is no "fast lane

Theres always a smartass you know what lane i mean, so all lanes are the same are they??

wayne2107 wrote: »
    Theres always a smartass you know what lane i mean, so all lanes are the same are they??
    right lane is for overtaking. Not the fast lane. Although some people tend to treat it like that.

Ok then SMARTARSE, Im talking about people who hogg the 'overtaking lane'.

wayne2107 wrote: »
    Ok then SMARTARSE, Im talking about people who hogg the 'overtaking lane'.
    dont think its possible to hogg the overtaking lane on m50. Procedure is you overtake and then find go back into to the next available gap. Wasnt taking a pop at anyone by the way here.

Sorry I was just finished a long shift last night and i was tired and cranky! Im talking about the people who use the overtaking lane but hold up traffic by driving slow, so slow in fact the traffic in the inside lane is all undertaking. This happens a lot in the port tunnell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I noticed these for the first time today myself...I think they are put up more as a deterrent to people than anything else. If I remember correctly they were put up on the far side of the toll bridge while the works there were being done and the was never a camera installed or any stories of people being fined for speeding.

• Advertisement

The only reason I can see for the sudden interest in speed along here is the fact that all the barriers protecting the workers have been removed, a crash now could easily run into the workers.

But, the sudden change in speed is likely to cause more crashes than selectivly placing such signs when and only when speed checking is being enforced!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I have been travelling the M50 for the past few weeks since the Speed Camera signs have been put up and as of yet I have now seen either a fixed or Garda camera anywhere, that's not to say there won't be one in place one of these days and everyone as far as I can see using the M50 will be caught for speeding.

On the use of lanes on a Motorway is it not the case that when there is a third lane Lorries and buses / coaches are not allowed into this lane, are they supposed to use the first lane as there main lane and the second lane as there overtaking lane?? If this is correct then as far as I can see this is never enforced.

to confirm, if you are caught speeding while overtaking in the fast lane before returning to lane to left of you is that recorded.

celticbest wrote: »
    I have been travelling the M50 for the past few weeks since the Speed Camera signs have been put up and as of yet I have now seen either a fixed or Garda camera anywhere, that's not to say there won't be one in place one of these days and everyone as far as I can see using the M50 will be caught for speeding.
    The signs have been since the works started, it's just they have been repositioned in more prominant positions.

to confirm, if you are caught speeding while overtaking in the fast lane before returning to lane to left of you is that recorded.
    If a camera is used, then everything over the limit is logged. A traffic cop can use discretion as to whether to do you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

So...
    • There are speed camera signs but no speed cameras on the M50.
    • There were (possibly still are, I'm not sure) speed camera signs on the N4 Lucan Bypass but no speed cameras.
    • I drove to Dublin a couple of weeks ago and getting near Dublin on the M4 there were lane closed ahead signs at intervals for in excess of a kilometer - the lane was not closed at any point.
    I think it's great that the authorities in and around Dublin feel it necessary to put these warning signs up for things that don't exist - it keeps people on their toes. :rolleyes:

So last Friday at the Western end of the Athlone Bypass there was a long queue in the left hand lane for the roundabout. There were signs for 1km saying the right hand lane was closed. I lost count of the number of Dublin registration cars that went up the right hand lane only to discover that the lane actually was closed and that a warning sign actually advised of something that actually existed. :rolleyes:

KevR wrote: »
    So...
    • There are speed camera signs but no speed cameras on the M50.
    • There were (possibly still are, I'm not sure) speed camera signs on the N4 Lucan Bypass but no speed cameras.
    • I drove to Dublin a couple of weeks ago and getting near Dublin on the M4 there were lane closed ahead signs at intervals for in excess of a kilometer - the lane was not closed at any point.
    I think it's great that the authorities in and around Dublin feel it necessary to put these warning signs up for things that don't exist - it keeps people on their toes. :rolleyes:

So last Friday at the Western end of the Athlone Bypass there was a long queue in the left hand lane for the roundabout. There were signs for 1km saying the right hand lane was closed. I lost count of the number of Dublin registration cars that went up the right hand lane only to discover that the lane actually was closed and that a warning sign actually advised of something that actually existed. :rolleyes:
    Im guessing everyone had to let them back in aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Yeah and it was adding to the already major delay because of the crash further along on the road.

That actually is the correct way to queue, vehicles merge in turn at the point where two lanes go into one.

It's rarely done that way here, but in Wales & Scotland they now have these "use both lanes" and "merge in turn" signs.

But the real issue here is far too many wolf signs, motorist just end up ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That actually is the correct way to queue, vehicles merge in turn at the point where two lanes go into one.

It's rarely done that way here, but in Wales & Scotland they now have these "use both lanes" and "merge in turn" signs.
    +1000 In addition if it's done that way, the whole capacity of the road is used right up to the point at which the lanes merge, that way the tailback is only half as long, thus also reducing the potential impact on junctions further back.

Advertisement