Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayTV Discussion (reasonable discussion ONLY!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭highnc

PunkFreud wrote: »
    Why does the question mark change for every question? Is that meant to be part of the puzzle?

the "question mark" is a sneaky number. in this case a "C", i.e. 100 in roman numerals. he has said there is no decimal point in the answer, it's a whole number.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

What about Z = 26 C=3 something like that.

The answer is obviously >100.

Maybe you're supposed to ignore the math and just add up the numbers.

**** I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

It's a backwards C though. Does that mean the equal sign could be 11, the corners could be be sevens, minus signs are 1 etc etc. What a fu*king joke.

one woman rings in with 6645 and he says it's way too high

then a man rings in with 2592 and he doesn't bat an eyelid.

these subtle clues should mean it's around the 2000 mark perhaps?

dioltas wrote: »
    It's a backwards C though. Does that mean the equal sign could be 11, the corners could be be sevens, minus signs are 1 etc etc. What a fu*king joke.

now you're getting the hang of it!! except the corner 7s could be Ls in Roman Numerals and so could count as 50!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 scholarswalk

thats a 100 as part of the blonde girls glasses. Dye agree?

capital of hungary is asked yet again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

highnc wrote: »
    capital of hungary is asked yet again!!
    Very original question.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

At 01:37 with supposedly €3600 in the bin JG said 'we will count the money'.
    Bets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

I'm away from the telly but the answer I got from doing EXACTLY what it says on the greenboard is Ninety-Six AkA 96.
    Does the bird have anything to do with it?
    Why was JD laughing there about 10-15 mins. ago & can ye watch this online?

• Advertisement

Me wrote:
    At 01:37 with supposedly €3600 in the bin JG said 'we will count the money'.
    Bets?
    And just over half an hour later with €4500 and 'no money' left he decides to round it to €5000 and do away with counting.
    He cited possible counting errors and probable waste of time!

Goodnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

In fairness to JG he has said loads of times that its not just about maths its about finding "all" the numbers that you can find..at least hes suggesting that its not just add the digits unlike Fiona who makes out we are all stupid and should be able to use primary school maths to solve this!

Im going with 310...using z=26 and L=50 x 4

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

1065 was the answer given by JG at the end of the show..did the last 10 callers with closest getting €500..closest guess was 390 or there abouts if i recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

answer was something like 1065 but they never explained it. anyone know?

They dont explain the solution to the puzzles.

What were you doing when:

That was a classic! :D

JG was unphased by the dig. I am surprised the caller was able to stay on the line long enough.

At the start JG couldn't make out what was being said.
    Fiona would have said 'No that is not the correct answer.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wonder how many calls it took for him to get through?

of course if he had just sworn at JG, and they were'nt quick enough to edit it out, that would have been more effective in trying to get the show pulled

Actually they have to have measures in place to prevent swearing on live transmissions.
    This usually takes the form of a time delay. It would be TV3's responsibility to comply.

I do agree that if they have a few good swearing callers (I mean using high quality swear words) it would put them off air faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Actually they have to have measures in place to prevent swearing on live transmissions.
    This usually takes the form of a time delay. It would be TV3's responsibility to comply.

I do agree that if they have a few good swearing callers (I mean using high quality swear words) it would put them off air faster.

The delay on the transmission seems to be very short.

At least 1/2 seconds of that is going to be lost in all the satellite hops.

Would TV3 be responsible if you were to libel someone on-air ?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Well done with the clip, Auld-Yin! Much appreciated.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Would TV3 be responsible if you were to libel someone on-air ?
    Yes, they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

That was a classic! :D

JG was unphased by the dig. I am surprised the caller was able to stay on the line long enough.

So am I, how he wasn't cut off after the 1st time saying it and more so the 2nd time is beyond me. JG did manage to keep his cool though, Fiona would have had a nark attack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭dangerpowers

A few of the old C words would do nicely so then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes, they would.

I wounder how many people you could libel in Irish before they figure out what you are up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ms_pink06

My god, it was frustrating to watch, does anybody know how they came up with 1065?

4x2 +
    2x(3-1) +
    6-5+4+
    Zx3+17-2

The question mark is an Arabic numeral (5, I think it is; any Arabic speakers about?) and the dot underneath is the Arabic numeral for zero. So I think the "question mark" represents 50, but I could be wrong. If they have also decided to incorporate other numerals aside from Roman numerals, then this will considerably add to the degree of difficulty of any of these puzzles, making them extremely difficult to solve (as if they weren't difficult enough already)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The question mark is an Arabic numeral (5, I think it is; any Arabic speakers about?) and the dot underneath is the Arabic numeral for zero.

If they have also decided to incorporate other numerals aside from Roman numerals, then this will considerably add to the degree of difficulty of any of these puzzles, making them extremely difficult to solve (as if they weren't difficult enough already)...

I'd be wonderful if they have decided to pull this stroke...

I'd absolutely love to hear TV3 explaining to the BCC how they not only justify including letters of the alphabet in a "count all the numbers in this picture" game, but how they also assume that Irish people who are of a mind to willingly piss their wages up the wall by entering carny style guess-what-number-i'm-thinking-of phone games at 3 a.m. will be perfectly capable of incorporating Arabic numerical structures into their calculations to solve the quiz...

If TV3 can do that with a straight face, I'll tip my hat to them.

• Advertisement

I should add that our numerals are themselves derived from Arabic numerals. I am still trying to find a match among the Arabic numbers for that "question mark" but if anyone can find it, that would be splendid! Or maybe I am just being too analytical of it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement