Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for printing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Possibly the most unhelpful thread I've read all day.

Do your design in Word eh?

Its not that unhelpful, u can pick up some decent DTP software n do ur own designing...

I use http://www.serif.com/pageplus/ for doing up all my flyers etc etc.. Its sinch to use n u can get it on ebay fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

unklerosco wrote: »
    Its not that unhelpful, u can pick up some decent DTP software n do ur own designing...

I use http://www.serif.com/pageplus/ for doing up all my flyers etc etc.. Its sinch to use n u can get it on ebay fairly cheap.

I've used pageplus, and yes, its ok for flyers and stuff.

But as per the above poster states - where are you going to get decent paper? Unless you have a cutter, most commercial grade papers come in large sizes.

Seriously, the easiest, and cheapest way is to get a printer to do it for you. Most people don't try it, and spend ages trying to do it themselves because they think the cost is going to be prohibitive.

A printer will then box & deliver the job for you, saving you the hassle of that also - particularly for larger runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 johnlawlor

Possibly the most unhelpful thread I've read all day.

Do your design in Word eh?

If you want to survive in business today I would suggest you try to do everything inhouse and as cheap as possible , that was the point I was making........remember most flyers ect end up in the bin !

johnlawlor wrote: »
    If you want to survive in business today I would suggest you try to do everything inhouse and as cheap as possible , that was the point I was making........remember most flyers ect end up in the bin !

Especially if printed on colour A4 laser paper....

Plus - it would most likely work out MORE expensive to print large amounts of flyers on an office colour printer. Think of the paper costs, ink costs, electrical costs, labour costs & time involved.

The labour and time would be your own so no cost there... U can get cheap toner if u look for it.. The paper is the problem tho, getting decent quality paper cheap is fairly hard. Even for short runs... I occasionally do 1000 fliers.. Usually use my local printer, I'd do it myself but they papers to expensive

• Advertisement

Especially if printed on colour A4 laser paper....

Plus - it would most likely work out MORE expensive to print large amounts of flyers on an office colour printer. Think of the paper costs, ink costs, electrical costs, labour costs & time involved.

ok so i want 40,000 flyers
    A4 paper in easons will do 1000 A5 flyers @ 2.99 euros : 40 x 3 =120 euros
    average ebay toner will do for 40,000 flyers @ 35 euros
    1hour to design flyer
    electricity lets say =5 euros
    color laser printer=100 euro

40,000 flyers for = 260 euros

obviously this would suit the struggling startup who wants to advertise his services door to door.....

Remember It all ends in the bin !

The labour and time would be your own so no cost there... U can get cheap toner if u look for it.. The paper is the problem tho, getting decent quality paper cheap is fairly hard. Even for short runs... I occasionally do 1000 fliers.. Usually use my local printer, I'd do it myself but they papers to expensive

But for full colour, for a colour laserjet printer, you'd be talking around 50 quid at least, and it would be long gone by 1000 full colour docs...

http://www.myofficeportal.org/best-cost-per-page-hp-color-laser-printers.htm
    HP Colour Laserjet 3600
    ...what makes these color laser printers stand out is in their cost per page...the cpp is around 9 cents.

So for 1000 flyers, thats around €90 (as the average cost is around 9c p/p for arguments sake I equated 1c US = 1c Euro).

And thats the cheaper end of the scale.

Each colour cartridge for that printer would be around €90, yielding around 4000 prints (roughly).

So lets say, full colour, with black prints, you're talking €360 for 3000~ (I've yet to see a cartridge yield what it states), 1 sided, flyers. Thats not including the cost of the paper either.

I had letterheads printed (4/4 on 100gsm laser) recently enough, and it cost €300 for 2,500 delivered - and that was sort of expensive tbh.

Its a lot easier just to get it printed by a professional printer - and the quality will be better too.

1hour to design flyer

obviously this would suit the struggling startup who wants to advertise his services door to door.....

lol colour laser toner (C.M.Y.K cartridges) will not do 40,000 prints. Thats hilarious!!

A black toner for a mono laser printer will do roughly 6,000-10,000 prints, mono, depending on colour coverage, and they're gonna set you back €100 a piece or so.

So you plan on cutting 20,000 sheets of A4 in half yourself?

For a startup - you can afford the few hundred quid to have 1 col flyers printed professionally, and will save you all the hassle.

And you seem to think that if you do it yourself / in house it doesn't cost you anything. It does. Wages. Time is money. If you either do it yourself, or have a staff member do it, thats the wage for the time spent doing it you haven't equated either.

lol colour laser toner (C.M.Y.K cartridges) will not do 40,000 prints. Thats hilarious!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Bottles-of-Universal-Toner-Refill-Powder-10-x_W0QQitemZ120451904645QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN?hash=item1c0b7e3485&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

10 bottles of toner ! for 39 quid...... and there is cheaper out there !

I also bought a guillotine in aldi for 29.99 and it does a great job cutting ! For me, I prefer to DIY it although it might not suit everyone.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-Bottles-of-Universal-Toner-Refill-Powder-10-x_W0QQitemZ120451904645QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_Printing_PrinterInkCatridges_JN?hash=item1c0b7e3485&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

10 bottles of toner ! for 39 quid...... and there is cheaper out there !

I also bought a guillotine in aldi for 29.99 and it does a great job cutting ! For me, I prefer to DIY it although it might not suit everyone.....

Your toner will not work in your colour laser printer though...

• Advertisement

Its a price example....... not " my toner " anyway I picked up about 60 assorted toners, color and b/w at an auction for 80 euros, I have about 5 sackfull of inkdrop inkjet cartriges for 20 euros should do me for a while ! also a hp 4345mfp for 75 euros and a xerox 7335 for 800 euros. what a deal!

Maybe Im just lucky with toners and printers !

Its a price example....... not " my toner " anyway I picked up about 60 assorted toners, color and b/w at an auction for 80 euros, I have about 5 sackfull of inkdrop inkjet cartriges for 20 euros should do me for a while ! also a hp 4345mfp for 75 euros and a xerox 7335 for 800 euros. what a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Double vision or duplicate post?

1hour to design flyer

How do you cut the A4 paper?
    Does it take all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

padocon wrote: »
    How do you cut the A4 paper?
    Does it take all day?
    All day?, that would take days... :D

-Patrick

U guys must be afraid of doing a bit of hard work... Its easily doable.. Myself n the GF run our own business n we've been doing that sort of thing for years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

U guys must be afraid of doing a bit of hard work... Its easily doable.. Myself n the GF run our own business n we've been doing that sort of thing for years..
    I'm not afraid of any type of work. I'm just saying it would take literally days to print 40,000 leaflets on a color laser printer, wouldn't it? :confused:

I wouldn't have the time to print them myself, I'm a busy man ;)

-Patrick

Depending on the printer u could do it in a day... Mind u, you wouldn't get a printer thats fast enough for €100...

Anyways... 40,000 is a bit of an exageration... But it is doable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

If you can get 40000 leaflets done for €260, I would suggest yourself and GF's time would be far more productive working on other things.

It's a classic situation that most small businesses fall into at some time or other (myself included). The owner/manager falls into the trap of doing the paperwork, the printing, the invoicing.
    This work can be outsourced, or hire a bookeeper in at an hourly rate, while you get on with doing some value added stuff and opening up new markets/customers.

Businesses expand by owners/manager working on the business, not working in the business.

• Advertisement

If I could get 40,000 flyers done for €260 I'd open up a printers....

The way that they are doing it is not economical at all. At the moment the best price I can find is 612.36 euro for 40,000 leaflets both sides. Its allot of work to make 40,000 leaflets yourself and all that cutting must be extreme! Also the quality can't be as good as a printers, but if thats what works the posters (there is more than one right?) then thats great! I think i'll stick with my professional printer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

1hour to design flyer

How do you cut 20,000 sheets of A4? What if you want to print on the back too - run 40,000 A4?

TBH at that rate you're pretty close to commercial printing prices, but miles behind in terms of quality.
    Your flyers give a potential customer their first impression of your business and for that reason I would
    engage a professional printers and spend all that wasted time doing something more constructive.

But that's just me... ;)

Advertisement