Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M-audio Xponent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

Tricked wrote: »
    Hey,

So I'm looking to get a controller and preferably use it with Traktor Pro. At the moment I'm looking at the M-Audio Torq Xponent. While this is obviously geared to Torq would it be very difficult to map it to Traktor? I'm aware of some tks files that have already done this but havn't a breeze on how to actually apply these.

After looking for months at various controllers, including those aimed at Traktor I reckon the Xponent wins hands down. The larger discs and synced lights seem to be pretty unique in the market and it comes closest to getting the feel of a real mixer.

Any advice on whether I should reconsider and go with another one and how too map to traktor?

Also I'm planning on getting it on ebay from a powerseller, possibly this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M-Audio-Xponent-USB-Controller-Digital-DJ-Maudio_W0QQitemZ170354735800QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMidi_Controllers?hash=item27a9eefab8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50 Seem safe enough?

Cheers Guys

dont. had one. flogged it on ebay. get something else

edit - too late :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

seeing as you have an opinion on the xponent, would you care to share it?

"dont. get something else" just isnt enough reason for me to stop considering whilst so many others are positive about it. negative criticism would be good for the thread as well. if you can qualify the negativity, that is...

sorry rushed it a bit as i was finishing work

firstly you need a dedicated pc. if you use the pc for anything else its gonna be unstable, skip and freeze while doing a set.

i was using it on a quad core with 4gb ram with fresh install of xp and it still skipped and jumped

this isnt exclusive to pcs. the forums were full of people on macs with problems aswell

secondly, even if it was stable the xponent software is ****. there are key maps for traktor developed by volunteers which is a far better option but it has no support from maudio

effects are absolute ****. they sound so cheap its not even funny

the beatcounter is terrible and works on roughly 70% of tunes.

constant problems with soundcard drivers.

the xponent is a cheap option to a set of decks. youll regret not just buying real decks roughly 10 minutes after connecting it to the pc

i paid 370 sterling for mine and was happy to sell for 200 euro a couple of months later

the maudio forum is busy for a reason.

half the time your on using it, half the time your fixing it

i always thought that it crashed, unless you were using a mac but i suppose i only read that on a forum so should really take it as gospel.

thanks for the negative feedback as i thought the xponent was more or less going to get me a residency, maybe even my own night in ibiza next summer :P

just had a quick google search for not so good reviews and you werent lying...

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130425
    http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6278&sid=6b77487be1b7e6f19ad090d699f7c4e5
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5197

"computer crashes" "MADE IN CHINA...GARBAGE" "i had an xponent, it blows dude return it." etc etc...

hmmmm.....the VCI-100 is back on my mind...

i remember reading m-audios solution to crashing on a mac

it was something along the lines of plug it onto the usb port furthest away from the soundcard

absolute ****.

so many excuses from them, so many updates that always seemed to be delayed

the xponent on paper looks good but in reality its a toy

im guessing a sizable chunk of there budget went on ads rather than programmers

if ya want to mix. buy decks. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Just get the VCI-100 with Traktor Pro, you'll need to get a soundcard but it's worth it.

colin, i was looking in tom lee's and they have them. good little dj room too you should go down. savage music shop in general though. i spent an hour in there easily. the production room should have installed peep show boxes and kleenex tissues when they were building it.

tis rent week and bills week so i wont be making any final calls for a week.

Táck wrote: »
    colin, i was looking in tom lee's and they have them. good little dj room too you should go down. savage music shop in general though. i spent an hour in there easily. the production room should have installed peep show boxes and kleenex tissues when they were building it.

tis rent week and bills week so i wont be making any final calls for a week.

It's where I bought my VCI-100, damn fine store altogether, whatever you're into I'm sure they'd have it, I don'yt like the whole having to check in your bag at the door so you don't rob anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

colin29 wrote: »
    Just get the VCI-100 with Traktor Pro, you'll need to get a soundcard but it's worth it.

What sound card do you use with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I have the VCI-100 SE (the black one) and think it's great - don't regret buying it one bit. I've got a Numark DJIO soundcard, which works fine but have heard good things about the M-Audio one.

I used it on Windows Vista for the first few months with Traktor 3, then Traktor Pro, and now with Windows 7.

The only time my O/S has ever bluescreened though was using this combination - it only happened once - when a track was playing I unplugged the USB cable from the VCI-100, Vista blue screened. As I say, this is the only time I've ever had a blue screen from using Vista for 2 years at home and in work, and was unsurprisingly hardware driver related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭D Audio Tripper

joker77 wrote: »
    I have the VCI-100 SE (the black one) and think it's great - don't regret buying it one bit. I've got a Numark DJIO soundcard, which works fine but have heard good things about the M-Audio one.

I used it on Windows Vista for the first few months with Traktor 3, then Traktor Pro, and now with Windows 7.

The only time my O/S has ever bluescreened though was using this combination - it only happened once - when a track was playing I unplugged the USB cable from the VCI-100, Vista blue screened. As I say, this is the only time I've ever had a blue screen from using Vista for 2 years at home and in work, and was unsurprisingly hardware driver related.

How do you find using the effects with the 100?? Ummm so many different options and none of them are perfect IMO, Vestax are really milking the market for everything they can get aren't they!
    I'd like a TR1 with build-in sound card, crossfader, jog wheels and a mouse pad... even4 channels so you don't have swap between deck A/C and B/D
    I suppose eventually they'll design 'the perfect' controller..... after they a make a fortune off everyone first :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I find it really easy to use - and there are bundles of tutorials on djtechtools around effects and mapping etc, but to be honest I really just use the basic functionality and that does me fine.

The Kontrol from Native Instruments looks really good though, it's a cheaper option as well

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Do a search in this forum for Xponent under my username - i've talked about the pros and cons loads. It's a great unit but Traktor is better than Torq, so get the VCI-100SE from www.djtechtools.com and an Audio 2DJ if you want to use Traktor Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

I got the Xponent in the end about 6 months ago and havn't had a problem with it yet. I'd love to use scratch vinyls or CDJs but can't afford them yet. The Xponent works perfectly for me, has yet to crash on me during a gig. Also it pays for itself after 2 gigs so worst case scenario is it's a relatively inexpensive lesson that will make up your mind on whether to invest in more heavy duty equipment.

It's ideal for bedroom DJing and messing around with effects. All the buttons are very easy to configure and it has some nice features like the XY pad that you generally don't use but are fun to mess around with. Instead of opting for decks I invested in a Macbook Pro and I'd do it again no doubt. The Xponent gets a bad rep but just trawl through the forums and be prepared to sort out a few glitches yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

so what do you need to run the vci-100 etc?is there a souncard needed aswell?has anyone gone for one of the SE editions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

barryd09 wrote: »
    so what do you need to run the vci-100 etc?is there a souncard needed aswell?has anyone gone for one of the SE editions?

The 100 needs an external soundcard, like the NI Audio 2 DJ, or the Maya 44. The 300 has a built in soundcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

The 100 needs an external soundcard, like the NI Audio 2 DJ, or the Maya 44. The 300 has a built in soundcard.

is there the different firmware available for the 300 also?
    v1.3?

What sound card do you use with it?

Audio 2 DJ, pretty good as far as I can tell, just as good sound as Audio 4 and Audio 8

Advertisement