Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M-audio Xponent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

If you haven't completely your mind made up already - I'd recommend the Vestax VCI-100 SE - I chose it over the M-Audio and don't regret it for 1 second. Here's an article on the mapping with Traktor Pro - there's a rake more articles on both of them on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Tricked

I was looking at the VCI too and it would definitely be better with Traktor. I still prefer the xponent though for a couple of reasons: Slightly bigger jog controls, better and more controls (imo), the mouse pad which could double as a tiny kaoss pad for messing around, the lighted buttons (which admittedly may not work with Traktor) and the overall feel of the Xponent. All the reviews I've read seem to be different though, half pick the VCI, half pick the Xponent. The VCI looks better I think but the Xponent seems to have more tricks.

Thanks for the link on the mapping though

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the Xponent and have been very happy with it for years. I've just started trying to use it with Traktor Pro, it works ok, but not as well as I'd like to.

Having just seen one of the video's on the Vestax VCI-100SE I wish I had that instead. The points you mention about the Xponent I don't think are relevant. Flashing lights are a pain, jog wheels are nice but do you really need big ones? Are you going to be doing much scratching? If so you're on the wrong platform.

The Xponent is built for Torq, but can be made work with Trator - but not perfectly. The VCI-100SE has full support from djtechtools and will be continually updated, thats a very big plus...

One thing I'm not sure of, does the VCI have inbuilt soundcards or do you need an external one? If so that's a big plus for the Xponent

Yeah just looking more into the VCI now. It doesn't have a built in soundcard - most appear to be using a maya 44 with it.

Fair enough the jog wheels don't make a huge difference but would you not still go it due to the extra features like more controls and the effects pad? I'm thinking in terms of messing around with tracks and not just gigs, I think the xponent has more to offer in terms of features, whereas the VCI is probably more sturdy and convenient?

The traktor issue is now what's holding me back on buying the xponent. There appears to be a fair few files which map out settings as best as possible but it does seem a bit pointless getting a midi controller to use with traktor when it was built for Torq. Ugh decisions decisions. I can't find a guide for DIY mapping if anybody has one?

If I heard Traktor would definately work well with the Xponent I'd go for it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Tricked wrote: »
    If I heard Traktor would definately work well with the Xponent I'd go for it

If you find out please let me know but so far I'll continue to use Torq apart from messing around with Traktor

• Advertisement

Out of interest how do you find Torq? I think I'll go for the Xponnent and use it with Torq until there's an official mapping that works work Traktor

Torq is very good! Not perfect but none of them are, but in general is does most things quite well.

I'm not sure if we will see the Xponent getting official mapping. Might be to do with competing companies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I think Torq is excellent the 1.07 edition has never crashed on me, The only thing that bugs me is the range and quality of the effects. However you can download VST plugin's which ive never bothered doing.

Get the 1.5 update its miles better. You can preview a track in you headphones without dragging it onto a deck.

Effects are not great in fairness but I rarely use them. Playing with Traktor, the Filter is pretty good, Torq should have it.

One annoying thing I've noticed when mapping the Xponent to Traktor is most of the maps put the filter effect on the Gain knob. I think you need the gain knob for making adjustments to the gain between tracks of different volume etc. I think it is supposed to deal with that itself automatically but in the short while I've been using it I don't think it does a great job really...

Great, thanks for all the advice! The main deterrent was being confined to torq but as it's pretty good I'll go for the xponent and fingers crossed someone will eventually configure the ideal mapping! At the moment I'm using VDJ which seems to be fairly similar to Torq anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Correct me if im wrong a midi controller can map to any software, even if you have to do it manually. I have an oxygen 8 v2 keyboard mapped to Torq to control loops and efx.

Yeah that's right but from what I hear it's particularly difficult to map all the functions of Traktor with the Xponent. There are a number of mappings available but all have flaws - e.g. lights don't illuminate, gain knobs are misconfigured...etc. I've never mapped before so I assume that if by now people havn't sussed out an ideal solution I wouldn't be able to do it. I'm not sure why there's this problem but from what I hear it's because the Xponent is designed for Torq and ideally for them it should be as difficult as possible to use it with a different program?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

if you have the money to spend maybe a set of cdj 400's. they can be used with cd's, any mp3 player, external ahrd drive, laptop etc.

i switched from vinyl to digital and was using a bdc3000. now its ok but i just find the general lack of a decent hands on approach to be a bit homo.

so im plannin on picking a set of cdj400's later this year when funds are available.

need all the money i can for my spending money for ibiza in august :D

This Xponent mapping seems pretty good: http://www.otto-armstrong.com/Mapping.html - compared to Torq its a much more vast application so there is a lot I have yet to figure out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Tricked, did you end up getting the Xponent? IF so what did you think, im thinking of getting one too.

Yep got it just over a month ago now.

So far so good, I'm impressed! I've used it for several gigs and had no problems yet, some features such as the xy pad make it great craic to use for bedroom DJing too. As regards the VCI -v- Xponent debate I still reckon I'd go for the Xponent. As far as I'm concerned the VCI has two major advantages: It's traktor-friendly and it looks better. But the xponent has more features, will be compatible with Traktor if mapped correctly and is a seriously impressive machine. If your looking for something sturdy and masters the bare essentials go with the VCI. In my eyes the Xponent is much more fun, has usable platters (bigger than the VCI's) and I was pleasantly surprised by Torq (which comes with the xponent). It looks basic at first but is the business when used with the xponent. If your going with it I'd recommend buying from getinthemix on Ebay, cheap and reliable in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

just ordered the xponent there myself :D:D
    got it with a handy gig bag too for holding the unit,a laptop,cables,headphones etc.
    this is it:

Xpo_Package.jpg

ive been away from djing for too long now.id still love at some point to setup my 1210's again but for now the xponent and torq will do me just fine!:D:D

how do people find torq vs traktor?
    and how was mapping traktor for the xponent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

good thread, im also thinking of purchasing one of these. again, its between the vestax and the xponent...

still doing my netsearch into it all. i want the xponent, im just not gone on the looks of it to be honest. then i seen this baby,

Vestax TR-1 USB
    main_image_1994.jpeg

comes with traktor as well...but not really readily available yet...hmmm...

That TR1 looks the nuts - if it were out at the time I would have bought it. It's expensive though, but I think it would be work it.

• Advertisement

no crossfader, only noticed that. but that wouldnt be too disheartening

mine arrived on friday,pretty happy with it.its been a good while since ive mixed on anything,just over 5 years so its all about getting back into it.

the flimsy-ness of the pitch faders are the only down side i can see so far.

also installing on windows 7 isnt too straightforward as i found out.
    the software for the xponent on windows 7 is still only in beta format but its works.
    version 1.5.2 torq can be downloaded directly from the m-audio forums,you need to install this rather than the 1.5v straight off the disc that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Looking at getting something similar myself, the new VCI-300 looks very nice:

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/vci-300.html

It's between that and the xponent. Has anyone used the 300?

The 300 does look good but I decided against it for a few reasons. It's expensive. It's not a standard midi controller like the others. It's designed for Serato Itch and if you want to use with Traktor, it has to use a "Translator" to get 24 bit into Midi (or something like that). It has less buttons and knobs for effects etc however you can get a remote control type - effects unit add on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've had my xponent for a few months now, and i absolutely LOVE it!

Best product i'v bought in a long time!:)

Right I'm gonna pull the trigger and get the Xponent.

Any idea where might be best to buy it? I'm based in Dublin but I imagine online is cheaper?

mloc wrote: »
    Right I'm gonna pull the trigger and get the Xponent.

Any idea where might be best to buy it? I'm based in Dublin but I imagine online is cheaper?

try my post earlier in this thread.

i got it from inthemix.com or something.

i got the xponent and a gig bag that takes your laptop,the xponent unit,cabling,headphones etc etc delivered for €450.

the unit by itself will be cheaper obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

€399 on Thomann with free shipping (anything over €199)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sh1te

• Advertisement

Sh1te wrote: »

Just ordered it there. Excellent.

Can't wait. I must get some sort of sound reinforcement system to play it through though, I'm using a MacBook Pro so computer wise I'm sorted but need an amp and speakers.

Advertisement