Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

For me it's not even the drink it's the fact that they offer such value for money for food.
    Whenever I'm in Enniskillen I always go in to The Linen Hall for something to eat. It's just so affordable in comparison to anywhere in Sligo.
    It's just nice to be able to pop in for a tea or coffee and a scone and it not cost a fortune.

Its not so much the pubs prices that are the problem, its the prices the breweries are charging the pubs. The pubs have no voice in Ireland are being held to ransom and many forced to close. With the likes of Wetherspoons telling them to "fcuk off" it can only be a good thing.

I could rant all day about this topic, but there is an entire thread dedicated to it so I will save it for there.

I would love a Wetherspoons because it offers a fair product for a fair price. Im from the UK and have been to many of their pubs over the years and Ive always found them to be consistent value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

johnire wrote: »
    For me it's not even the drink it's the fact that they offer such value for money for food.
    Whenever I'm in Enniskillen I always go in to The Linen Hall for something to eat. It's just so affordable in comparison to anywhere in Sligo.
    It's just nice to be able to pop in for a tea or coffee and a scone and it not cost a fortune.

ooooh there is a Spoons in Enniskillen!!!! Well why didnt you say before! Ive only lived in Sligo a few weeks but have been there twice already to shop at Asda as they have loads of Scottish stuff you dont get in ROI. I just wish the exchange rate would get back under control, its really ruining value for money at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Best of all,Wetherspoons also have John Smiths Bitter on tap!

I'm not sure if their pubs in the RoI have this beer on draught.

Maybe they do.

Check the menu:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavern2015.pdf

Geuze wrote: »
    I'm not sure if their pubs in the RoI have this beer on draught.

Maybe they do.

Check the menu:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.ie/pdf/ThreeTunTavern2015.pdf

You are right,they dont have it but they do have Londons Pride on tap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mayoabc

Pepper Alley closed down today, maybe something new will take its place. It's sad to see so many places closing in sligo as it is actually a lovely town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jodski

mayoabc wrote: »
    Pepper Alley closed down today, maybe something new will take its place. It's sad to see so many places closing in sligo as it is actually a lovely town

Are you sure it's Pepper Alley? I heard Park Alley over at Cleveragh closed. I know they are by the same company, but I assumed a busy summer by the river would be a sure bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mayoabc

Jodski wrote: »
    Are you sure it's Pepper Alley? I heard Park Alley over at Cleveragh closed. I know they are by the same company, but I assumed a busy summer by the river would be a sure bet!

Definitely pepper alley there's a sign on the window. Maybe park alley is closed too I know they were owned by the same people. It's such a shame. I've been looking for a job in sligo the past 7/8 months with no luck.

Does anyone know what's happening with home store?

I was in Home Store and More yesterday and when I saw almost every single kitchen utensil marked as 50% off, I asked a member of staff if they were closing down. He said "No, it is to do with the Chamber Of Commerce and the fact we have been selling items which we should not have been, so we are getting rid of some stock".

Clearly that sounds like utter nonsense as that store has sold those products for years and years.

Just found a thread on the situation, indeed it does seem like the Chamber Of Commerce are the reason and the staff member was correct. I wonder if they will move location now or what.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=26065

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Does the owner of the Cleveragh retail park have any roll on the CoC?

Thats shocking news about Pepper Alley,it was always a pleasant place to eat in, and Jeanette and all the staff were lovely.To get through the recession and close when things are starting to look up is very sad!

• Advertisement

Its weird to see so many posts about places closing in Sligo. Since moving here a few weeks ago Ive been surprised at just how busy the whole town is. Compared to Louth its positively buzzing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Its weird to see so many posts about places closing in Sligo. Since moving here a few weeks ago Ive been surprised at just how busy the whole town is. Compared to Louth its positively buzzing.

Funny because I would say we're at risk of falling behind places like Carrick On Shannon and Westport or Castlebar, also Donegal Town and Letterkenny which is a pity with the surrounding countryside we're blessed with.

I questioned last week in another thread if we didn't have enough places to eat already, hopefully the staff get new employment quickly.

EDIT: Turns out it was this thread, stores closing in the stores opening thread!?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Does the owner of the Cleveragh retail park have any roll on the CoC?
    Looking to blame the Chamber of commerce for every closure???

red sean wrote: »
    Not blaming anyone, it was just a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

What was the relevance of your question then?
    Anyway, I thought this thread was for businesses opening or re-opening in Sligo!

What was the relevance of your question then?
    Anyway, I thought this thread was for businesses opening or re-opening in Sligo!

I agree these past few posts aren't relating to businesses opening. I asked a question based on an early post referring to the CoC, if the earlier quote had been in the businesses closing thread I would have asked the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

He has influence certainly, I don't think he is a member though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I was in Home Store and More yesterday and when I saw almost every single kitchen utensil marked as 50% off, I asked a member of staff if they were closing down. He said "No, it is to do with the Chamber Of Commerce and the fact we have been selling items which we should not have been, so we are getting rid of some stock".

Clearly that sounds like utter nonsense as that store has sold those products for years and years.

Just found a thread on the situation, indeed it does seem like the Chamber Of Commerce are the reason and the staff member was correct. I wonder if they will move location now or what.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=26065

That article is two years old

It is indeed. There is another thread on here where people have been talking about it and its current.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

CoC went the whole way to the High Court with it, judgement went through last week against Homestore so they had to sell off their kitchen stuff last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think I heard mentioning of a sushi restaurant opening in Stephen Street (where the Internet cafe was) - could be wrong though!

Could be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Basq wrote: »
    Think I heard mentioning of a sushi restaurant opening in Stephen Street (where the Internet cafe was) - could be wrong though!
    Is it where the cafe was or just the old Chinese restaurant beside it? That place has had a sign up outside for the past few weeks saying they're looking forward to opening etc.

Was in a Strandhill and had some food in Draft House. Very tasty I have to say! I did wonder what was the point of having all the beer taps on the back wall of bar (i.e. not on counter facing customer and therefore hard to see what they have, as the place is quite dark)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

thebuzz wrote: »
    Is it where the cafe was or just the old Chinese restaurant beside it? That place has had a sign up outside for the past few weeks saying they're looking forward to opening etc.

Miso Korean and Japanese cafe where the series of Chinese restaurant were. Opening officially tomorrow(Sunday) but having a 1/2 price tasting day today. Didn't see a menu on the outside.

prodsc wrote: »
    Miso Korean and Japanese cafe where the series of Chinese restaurant were. Opening officially tomorrow(Sunday) but having a 1/2 price tasting day today. Didn't see a menu on the outside.

Great to hear more variety being added to the town, hope it succeeds. There was a Japanese place there before, is it the same people who ran the last place? Is that beside Sligo Chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭prodsc

Great to hear more variety being added to the town, hope it succeeds. There was a Japanese place there before, is it the same people who ran the last place? Is that beside Sligo Chinese?

Stephen St Car Park. I do believe the last name on it was Sligo Chinese.
    Dunno who runs it now:confused:

Nice to see a bit of variety is right and good luck to them from me too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

They were up to their eyeballs in getting Homestore to comply with restrictions that they lobbied the council for in the first place to protect their own interests. So in this instance, I fail to see why you took umbrage with the question. The CoC are directly implicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sligo is further from a Dublin, Cork or Galway. Means it has a bigger catchment area than other towns where cities take a lot of business. But Sligo is dying. The economic recovery is just people who've been fairly unaffected by the recession feeling safe to spend a bit again. In reality there's still jobs being lost almost as quick as they're being created, there's very little summer work for students, there's to all intents and purposes, no tourists worth talking about and even those with a few quid to spare hardly bother going out as they know the town is dead. Shops, restaurants, nightclubs etc. are still closing. Frequently.
    As someone who remembers how much fun the town was 15-20 years ago (as grubby as some of it was) i find it all very sad to see so many places going under and seeing deserted streets at night.

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    Sligo is further from a Dublin, Cork or Galway. Means it has a bigger catchment area than other towns where cities take a lot of business. But Sligo is dying. The economic recovery is just people who've been fairly unaffected by the recession feeling safe to spend a bit again. In reality there's still jobs being lost almost as quick as they're being created, there's very little summer work for students, there's to all intents and purposes, no tourists worth talking about and even those with a few quid to spare hardly bother going out as they know the town is dead. Shops, restaurants, nightclubs etc. are still closing. Frequently.
    As someone who remembers how much fun the town was 15-20 years ago (as grubby as some of it was) i find it all very sad to see so many places going under and seeing deserted streets at night.

I wish I had seen it before then. Ive worked in every town in Cavan, Louth, Monaghan and everything from Louth down to Swords in North Dublin for the last 4 years. Im an energy broker in the electric and gas market and all I usually deal with are small and medium enterprises. So I have a decent amount of first hand experience of the opening and closing of SME's in the North East.

Aside from Swords itself, which has a busy vibe most of the time, Sligo is far and away the most buzzing town. It is of importance to me how busy premises are as it will affect credit ratings and likelihood of a sale. So I pay attention to these details when Im out and about. Ive not seen a town in the areas Ive mentioned where the restaurants are so busy, yet they are still open and managing to keep afloat.

I have also noticed that there are a decent number of foreign tourists in the town as well.

I cannot argue that it may not be the place it was 15-20 years ago as I wasnt in Ireland then, but compared to many other areas it certainly is not on its knees just yet.

Advertisement