Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Penalty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Death sentence? Only for a first offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

Sleipnir wrote: »
    A civilised society cannot have mutilation as part of their criminal justice system.

A civilised society wouldn't let these fúckers back on the streets in less than 10 years to commit these crimes again.

A civilised society wouldn't spend 30 years covering up the sick acts of abuse carried out on children by an Internationl Organisation.

The same civilised society, wouldn't continue to hide the identity of the offendors so that they aren't prosecuted and held accountable for their crimes.

Civilised society is a dream! We may be more civilised than those generations that went before us... but we're far from civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Amarok wrote: »
    We are talking about select crimes committed, people who murder one or two should not get the death penalty he should be given another chance in my opinion but those like Sidam/Ossama should be given for genaside and terrorism but the death pennelty should only be used in extream casses, prissoners suffer more in jail than in a grave.

NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE A LIFE!!! and that includes the goverments!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    But didn't Jesus say - an "Eye for an Eye" or was that someone else in the bible?
    God said that. Then God turned into Jesus, changed his mind and said the opposite.

Amarok wrote: »
    We are talking about select crimes committed, people who murder one or two should not get the death penalty he should be given another chance in my opinion but those like Sidam/Ossama should be given for genaside and terrorism but the death pennelty should only be used in extream casses, prissoners suffer more in jail than in a grave.

1. Ossama was convicted of something ??? ;)

2. Prisoners do not suffer more in Irish jails. (take a trip to the Women's Prison in Mount Joy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I would like to see them dig holes or break rocks over and over for no reason for years and years.

CamperMan wrote: »

You have the right to remain silent. :p:)

(and the right not to use caps lock):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

irlmarc wrote: »
    I would like to see them dig holes or break rocks over and over for no reason for years and years.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 asti_mivec

CamperMan wrote: »

Absolutely agree!

We need to change the way the whole country is run from the ground up, and this should never be an option.

Who the hell could trust anybody in this country with that kind of power, especially the Politicians and their friends in the judicial system, the guards, the corporations who ultimately pay the governments to do what they want???

I totally agree that these peoples actions are pure filth, but our current society breeds this contempt for human life everywhere. I do not agree that anybody has the right to take anothers life at all.

Do we want to be like the septics and have our jails full instead of our schools? What are the alternatives for so many Americans that fail to get the education and acccess to factual information that they deserve? For so many the options are either join the army or join a gang (as far as they are led to believe anyway) and this does not create a good society in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Hagar wrote: »
    Death sentence? Only for a first offence.

Summary on the spot executions of tv licence evaders is what the country needs to get us back on track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

A civilised society wouldn't let these fúckers back on the streets in less than 10 years to commit these crimes again.

A civilised society wouldn't spend 30 years covering up the sick acts of abuse carried out on children by an Internationl Organisation.

The same civilised society, wouldn't continue to hide the identity of the offendors so that they aren't prosecuted and held accountable for their crimes.

I'm not saying they are punished enough currently, I'm saying that if you can mutilate people in accordance with the law, you're in a bad place.
    Civilised society is a dream! We may be more civilised than those generations that went before us... but we're far from civilised.

Well then, let's just give up and start eating each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I used to be knee-jerk on this issue and know all the arguments against it but then I just figured, "f*** it". I don't care if a rapist is killed, or a murderer or a paedophile.

Thinking some 16 year old is hot makes you a paedo doesn't it? :pac:

I couldn't care less about the death sentence, i just want it to be cheaper for crims to do their punishment

Score! I am choosing who to eat first........

I'm not saying they are punished enough currently, I'm saying that if you can mutilate people in accordance with the law, you're in a bad place.

Actually, meant to say, I assume that you consider California to be uncivilised?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I posted this in the Christianity forum. Interesting site, without being judgemental, one way or the other. Website puts the social phobias and fears of the time in context to the punishment being carried out. There's also the progression of execution, both ethically and in the practical ways it is carried out.

I guarantee you you'll be addicted. The Irish civil war is covered, amazing the amount of people executed. 'Normal' executions under English rule (Southern Ireland) are listed also.

Reposted with the same warning.

---

Mild NSFW - In as much as your employer might find the site content 'odd'. There are pictures of gallows.

---

If you want a good historical overview of Capital Punishment in the UK and Ireland.. and further abroad, there's none better than the following site:

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/contents.html

Very, middle-of-the-road, matter-of-fact about the preparation and processes that take place. 1700's to the present day.

---

Mild NSFW - In as much as your employer might find the site content 'odd'. There are pictures of gallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jail for them is a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

enda1 wrote: »
    Why?

They have put others through hell. I cant think of anythign more soul destroying have to break rocks with a sledge hammer for no purpose for 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kill 'em All, let God sort 'em out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

... don't see why someoen should deserve compassion when they've none to give...

Over time there's "Regret"... yeah sure there is... they get banged up in prison for a while... sure you'd regret being bored shítless... Sure you'll find god... or allah... or what ever could get you out...

Anyhow... prison is just another playground these days...

-Drav!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Is death really just an easy way out for prisoners? If you were sentenced to life in prison, would you actually rather be executed instead? If this were the case there would be a lot more prisoner suicides.

Death is a far worse penalty than life in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Not in favour of the death penalty but defintelt in favour of worse prison conditions especially for violent and repeat offenders.

Mobile phones, playstations even TV's should not be allowed- either they get educations in there or just leave them to rot in their own feaces

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

irlmarc wrote: »
    They have put others through hell. I cant think of anythign more soul destroying have to break rocks with a sledge hammer for no purpose for 10 years.

And what then is the benefit of this? How will society be a better place with murderers with "destroyed souls" roaming the streets? Surely such people could be even more dangerous to society than they were when they went in?

Still can't understand the common belief that punishment is how we should deal with criminals without any attempt at rehabilitation...

Des wrote: »
    Kill 'em All, let God sort 'em out.

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ScumLord wrote: »
    God said that. Then God turned into Jesus, changed his mind and said the opposite.

So God is a Transformer...cool....

I think that the Death Penalty should mean hard labour 'til you're 65 and solitary confinement after that.
    No luxuries whatsoever, no tv, no newspapers, no soft toilet paper - nadda.

And prisoners should do the hard labour when it comes to building their own bloody prisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

what if the jury get it wrong?

i think the death penalty is just that step too far.

get rid of the murder/manslaughter distinction and just have one crime of unlawful killing set a maximum sentence at 1000 years and let the judge discount for mitigating circumstances.

most murder trials in ireland are fought noton the basis of the defendant denying the act but on the basis that they claim it was not murder but manslaughter. Get rid of the divide, it serves no real purpose and would save the victims family having to go through the grief of a trial, it would stop the courts getting clogged and save the tax payer money.

put all the guilty to work building more prisons. But in my mind none of us have the right to decide who lives and who dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Actually, meant to say, I assume that you consider California to be uncivilised?

No, it's fairly civilised but you could never call yourself truly civilised if you still have laws allowing the physical mutilation of wrongdoers as part of their punishment.

That is, if a society was civilised in all other ways, yet still allowed the above, that would mean that you weren't really civilised.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm against the Death Penalty. It's too lenient, there is always the possibility of reincarnation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Actually he don't

just narrow mindedness

was on TV during the week "Americas toughest sheriff" or something

anyways one of the inmates was a prostitute, been in 24 times. the harshness didn't change rates of re-offending. was pointed out that they were closing treatment centres and other re hab places around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I propose a contest similar to the Running Man.

Advertisement