Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Penalty

Options
  • 07-07-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Applied for special case murder one convictions, such as some of the gang murders recently

For or against?

In favour of death penalty for select crimes 126 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 126 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Against, it's just an easy way out for the cowards.

Let 'em rot in jail until they die naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Death is an easy way out.

Chain gangs all the way.

Make them work for their crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Rabies wrote: »
    Death is an easy way out.

Chain gangs all the way.

Make them work for their crimes.

Valid point and I do agree.

But what would you say to those who'd argue that the death penalty should be allowed on the basis that a life jail sentence costs the government thousands of euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

But life in jail is never life and we don't have chain gangs, nor will we.

Genuinely interested to see if the death penalty is an alternative to the lenient sentencing and also act as a real deterrent.

But what would you say to those who'd argue that the death penalty should be allowed on the basis that a life jail sentence costs the government thousands of euro?

Apparently having the death penalty costs more to the state than a lifetime in prison. Linky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Make them work for their stay. We spend billions paying for labour on roads that could be done by chain gangs, and thats only one scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Make them work.
    There are jails that have inmates making number plates, growing crops, building roads etc.

Enforced manual labour, low skilled work that anyone can do. They earn their keep and food.

'Life' needs to be just that, not just 10-20yrs. It needs to do as it says on the tin.

The death penalty is too easy. America takes too long to kill someone on death row. They end up costing too much, in the middle east and China they can be killed a little bit too quick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Mayshine wrote: »
    Applied for special case murder one convictions, such as some of the gang murders recently

For or against?

You really think gangland murder is the most depraved and irreconsilable crime? Scumbag kills a scumbag??

No I don't agree with the death penalty. It is a sign of a deeply troubled society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I used to be knee-jerk on this issue and know all the arguments against it but then I just figured, "f*** it". I don't care if a rapist is killed, or a murderer or a paedophile. They should definitely have to do hard labour and work their absolute balls off, with their minute wages going to the families whose lives they ruined, I'd like to see that implemented and for the most serious of cases, no problem with death penalty. A lot of criminals thrive on their notieriety in prison and crazed fanmail etc so I think life in prison (which has been said isn't really life) is the easy way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

didn't a yes vote for the Nice Treaty essentially mean that we can no longer even consider the Death Penalty (even if we wanted to)

My preference would be genuine life sentences, meaning a person's natural life and making them get out there and work and contribute to society.

If that's not an option... Fry 'em

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Death is too good for those scum.

Should have a life of complete and utter misery locked away. Without ANY luxuries (food and water a basic necessity)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Making them work is the way forward, I don't see why they don't do that. Make them repay their debt to society.

It doesn't have to stop at hard labor either start sending them bank managers to jail and then make them work for free in new state controlled banks.

Even if I was sent to jail for any reason I'd rather be able to do some good in there rather than rot.

Making them work in a military style setting should also make them better people by the time they come out.The work program could be used to show them the value of working hard and being part of a team, maybe even give them some skill by the time their finished so they have the real option of getting a job rather than sinking back into old habits.

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    didn't a yes vote for the Nice Treaty essentially mean that we can no longer even consider the Death Penalty (even if we wanted to)

The death penalty was officially abolished in law in 1990 (but hadn't been used since the 1950s), but on the day of the first Nice referendum there was another referendum on enshrining the ban on the death penalty into the constitution - and it passed 62% against 38%.

As far as I know, though, all EU member states have had to abolish the death penalty to join anyway.

I used to be knee-jerk on this issue and know all the arguments against it but then I just figured, "f*** it". I don't care if a rapist is killed, or a murderer or a paedophile. They should definitely have to do hard labour and work their absolute balls off, with their minute wages going to the families whose lives they ruined, I'd like to see that implemented and for the most serious of cases, no problem with death penalty. A lot of criminals thrive on their notieriety in prison and crazed fanmail etc so I think life in prison (which has been said isn't really life) is the easy way out

rapists and paedophiles should have their cócks cut off on top of their jail sentence. If they can't be trusted to have a cock without committing a serious crime with it then take it off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Mayshine wrote: »

For or against?

So we murder a person who has murdered? A bit ironic.

As was said above - it's the easy way out for them and they should be made work.

I don't feel that you can cancel out the crime by doing exactly what they have done back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am actually in favor of the death penality but its interesting cause

1. How do you apply it, is it a life for a life?

2. Do you allow a jury elect it. Which of couse can get emotional.

Lastly Amnesty Internatiol can actually show that it costs more to kill someone than it does to jail them for life.... Yes the stat surprised me to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

enda1 wrote: »
    You really think gangland murder is the most depraved and irreconsilable crime? Scumbag kills a scumbag??

No I don't agree with the death penalty. It is a sign of a deeply troubled society.

It's depraved and irreconsilable enough for me to consider whether a death penalty could be warranted

Sulmac wrote: »
    The death penalty was officially abolished in law in 1990 (but hadn't been used since the 1950s), but on the day of the first Nice referendum there was another referendum on enshrining the ban on the death penalty into the constitution - and it passed 62% against 38%.

As far as I know, though, all EU member states have had to abolish the death penalty to join anyway.

Excellent, thanks for that, so it was a separate issue to Europe then.

Presumably, we could hold a referendum to re-instate it (if Europe agreed to allow us) at some stage in the future

Trí wrote: »
    So we murder a person who has murdered? A bit ironic.

As was said above - it's the easy way out for them and they should be made work.

I don't feel that you can cancel out the crime by doing exactly what they have done back to them.

But didn't Jesus say - an "Eye for an Eye" or was that someone else in the bible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

But didn't Jesus say - an "Eye for an Eye" or was that someone else in the bible?

I think that was Jebus, not Jesus.:pac:

• Advertisement

It should definitely be brought back for serious crimes murder etc but especially sexual crimes and even more so sexual crimes against children. Perpetrators of such crimes should be hung, drawn, quartered, shot and poisoned!! In public of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

Trí wrote: »
    I think that was Jebus, not Jesus.:pac:
    :eek:

my memory is fúcked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

It should definitely be brought back for serious crimes murder etc but especially sexual crimes and even more so sexual crimes against children. Perpetrators of such crimes should be hung, drawn, quartered, shot and poisoned!! In public of course.

In this order???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

rapists and paedophiles should have their cócks cut off on top of their jail sentence. If they can't be trusted to have a cock without committing a serious crime with it then take it off them.

A civilised society cannot have mutilation as part of their criminal justice system.

Perpetrators of such crimes should be hung, drawn, quartered, shot and poisoned!!

Didn't work on Rasputin. :pac:

genericguy wrote: »
    In this order???

Not necessarily. Obviously one would work through the list in order that the person could be kept alive throughout. It just sounds better when said in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sulmac wrote: »
    Apparently having the death penalty costs more to the state than a lifetime in prison. Linky.

Apparently they aren't shopping around much, how much does a revolver cost these days? A good aul .357 will ensure death, no need for reloads etc.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it's wrong and I am completly against this barbaric punishment!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Amarok

We are talking about select crimes committed, people who murder one or two should not get the death penalty he should be given another chance in my opinion but those like Sidam/Ossama should be given for genaside and terrorism but the death pennelty should only be used in extream casses, prissoners suffer more in jail than in a grave.

Advertisement