Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair €4 to Europe, €1 to UK

Options
  • 07-07-2009 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Ryanair have one of their endless specials on right now. The interesting thing is that the website is forgetting to charge the €10 Irish departure tax on these discounted flights.

Flights to many destinations are advertised as starting at €14 (€4 fare plus €10 departure tax) but as you click your way through the booking, the €10 is never added :). I just booked return flights to Europe for two and paid €16 total (4 flights for €4 each, no taxes or charges).

To the UK, I found fares as low as €1 with no further taxes. It has been a while since I last saw that price; never expected it to come back.

To avoid credit card charges, use Entropay as always...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marknoonan1974

undo wrote: »
    Ryanair have one of their endless specials on right now. The interesting thing is that the website is forgetting to charge the €10 Irish departure tax on these discounted flights to Europe.

Flights to many destinations are advertised as starting at €14 (€4 fare plus €10 departure tax) but as you click your way through the booking, the €10 is never added :). I just booked return flights to Europe for two and paid €16 total (4 flights for €4 each, no taxes or charges).

To avoid credit card charges, use Entropay as always...

Good spot, well done.....but...

whats the betting that after a few thousand have got the flights that Ryanair use it as a publicity stunt to show how evil the government are and go after everybody for the €10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Well, I am with Ryanair on this one. They are very welcome to protest the €10 charge. It is silly...

Schiphol had such a charge levied on departing flights by the Dutch government and the *airport* lobbied the government to remove it. It cost them a lot in lost business.

I am with Ryanair also. I booked a "free" return flight for me and the missus last week, to Amsterdam, it ended up costing €160 with taxes and charges!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Looks like the glitch is fixed :( I tried to book a flight there and the taxes were added.....or is it only certain flights you can get without the tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Entropay what's this? Do you apply for it online or i a bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Im still seeing flights with no taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

waster81 wrote: »
    Entropay what's this? Do you apply for it online or i a bank?

It's in my signature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Jesshoney

To the UK, I found fares as low as €1 with no further taxes.

Wow!!! Was trying to get the cheapest flights as possible going to Heathrow as I'm a poor student looking to stay with family in London for a few days... Not sure if Ryanair fly to Heathrow?? Any advice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

These tickets standing or sitting??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Jesshoney wrote: »
    Wow!!! Was trying to get the cheapest flights as possible going to Heathrow as I'm a poor student looking to stay with family in London for a few days... Not sure if Ryanair fly to Heathrow??

They don't. Luton, Gatwick, or Stansted. But they're the equivalent of flying to Mullingar, so expect to get a bus/train into London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭brosna

This is a virtual card that you can apply for online and start using immediately.
    I remember somebody advising me to set up my entropay account in £sterling, confirmation from somebody else on this would be helpful.
    Link to entropay website below.

http://www.entropay.com/

Note: It costs 4.95% to put money on your Entropay card so it's always best to see what combination of Ryanair Gift Vouchers or Entropay is best.

Example: Booked 4 return flights at 4.00 each to London this morning
    Cost of flights (no priority boarding, no insurance, no checked luggage) = €32

Payment method 1: Credit Card on Ryanair = €32 plus credit card charges of €40 = Total €72

Payment method 2 : €25 Ryanair Gift Voucher + €5 handling charge (New ???)
    + €7 on Entropay + 4.95% interest on €7 = 35 cents
    Total: €37.35

Payment method 3: Pay all €32 with Entropay with 4.95% charge = 1.58
    Total: €33.58 This is the method I used to pay for these flights.

The cost of the flights will help determine if option 2 or 3 are best.
    If the flights cost more than €100 you are best to go the Gift Voucher route.

Notes on using gift vouchers: You can only buy in €25 or €50 denominations and only up €200 value.
    Ryanair will not give you any change from your gift vouchers so if you apply a €50 Voucher to a €32 charge, you lose €18
    Once you apply your gift voucher should pay the balance with Entropay.
    Example: if you have flights that cost €202.50 you should purchase Ryanair Gift Vouchers for €200 (+5 fee) and pay the balance of 2.50 with your Entro pay card. If you pay the 2.50 with your normal credit card you will be caught for the €5 credit card charge per person per flight.

I have noticed that Ryanair are now charging a €5 fee for processing a gift voucher. Is this new ?

I hope this information helps some of you (& that my math is correct).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They don't. Luton, Gatwick, or Stansted. But they're the equivalent of flying to Mullingar, so expect to get a bus/train into London.

Stansted maybe but gatwick is more like flying to maynooth or maybe Enfield.
    30 minute train journey.

Jesshoney wrote: »
    To the UK, I found fares as low as €1 with no further taxes.

Wow!!! Was trying to get the cheapest flights as possible going to Heathrow as I'm a poor student looking to stay with family in London for a few days... Not sure if Ryanair fly to Heathrow?? Any advice :o

I think its something to do with the distance you travel. I.E. Dublin to Cork there is no tax, but as Dublin to Liverpool is a shorter distance they cant charge a tax to there under EU law?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Saruman wrote: »
    30 minute train journey.

Was said with a bit of sarcasm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stevej

Saruman wrote: »
    30 minute train journey.

add on an extra £20-30 for the train fare too....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭golfball37

What dates?

I've tried booking the UK in October and its still expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

stevej wrote: »
    you don't have to get the Gatwick Express, there are cheaper slower trains available that don't take that much longer and are considerably cheaper.
    see www.nationalrail.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I've just got return flights to La Rochelle for €8 at the start of September and also a return trip for a weekend in London for €8...so €16 in total by using the Visa Electron :)

24 quid the last time was there, and I had forgotten to take my credit card so could not get the ticket I bought online from the vending machine, they made me buy a new one!!!!

golfball37 wrote: »
    What dates?

This morning I booked from Dublin to London Luton, out on Thursday 27th August and return on Monday 31st August for €4 each way. €32 for four of us.

These sort of fares are available out until at least Mid October on the Dublin/Luton route. I guess the flight costs go up towards end of October when the schools have mid term breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stevej

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I've just got return flights to La Rochelle for €8 at the start of September and also a return trip for a weekend in London for €8...so €16 in total by using the Visa Electron :)

how much is it after bags and taxes are added?

how much is it after bags and taxes are added?
    €8 :)

No Bags (hand luggage only) and no taxes or charges, provided you use an Electron Card and make sure you click on zero bags, no insurance and no priority check in.

Have a look on Ryanair yourself : London Luton/Stanstead between now and mid October. La Rochelle, same time period and lots of others also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

nice getting some scotland flights

i wish their flghts to prague or berlin would become cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

24 quid the last time was there, and I had forgotten to take my credit card so could not get the ticket I bought online from the vending machine, they made me buy a new one!!!!

Did you buy a first class ticket or something? Best way to do it if you're visiting and got a morning flight over to Gatwick is to get the train to Clapham Junction (zone 2) which is about 8 or 9 quid (off peak), then once there buy a travelzone card for zones 1-2 which is 5 quid I believe (off peak again), then hop on the next train to waterloo/victoria etc..

so for less than £15 you can get in to the center of london and have unlimited public transport in zones 1/2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Updated my signature to include a table of fares and best savings based on CC vs Entropay vs Vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

To answer a few things people have asked:
    Looks like the glitch is fixed :( I tried to book a flight there and the taxes were added.....or is it only certain flights you can get without the tax?

It is only the discounted flights that you get tax-free. Look for €4.00 fares to/from Europe and €4.00 or €1.00 to/from UK.
    I have noticed that Ryanair are now charging a €5 fee for processing a gift voucher. Is this new ?

Yes. The must have copped on that people use these vouchers to circumvent the CC fee and added a €5 fee...
    I think its something to do with the distance you travel. I.E. Dublin to Cork there is no tax, but as Dublin to Liverpool is a shorter distance they cant charge a tax to there under EU law?

The Irish departure tax is €2 on domestic routes and for some of the closest UK destinations. All other destinations are €10. Hence the flights should cost €6 to the UK (€4 + €2 tax) and €14 to Europe (€4 + €10 tax)... but they are forgetting to add the tax.

The cheap flights are available all the way to 27th March (end of the current Ryanair flight schedule).
    i wish their flghts to prague or berlin would become cheap

They are cheap. I found flights to Prague at €4 while looking around last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I hope its not that they are forgetting (as someone previously said) to add the €10 tax. I assume its intentional. Dont think they are that stupid. After booking a trip to Madrid. €8 per person is unreal, although they did charge 20 for the baby!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I just shelled out a whopping €8 for a return Dublin-Dusseldorf at the end of August. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is it not €2 tax for shorter journeys? €10 is for longer journeys is it not? It is probably charged in the taxes and charges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Any ideas the best way to find cheap hotels? Im sure Hotels.com and the likes add on their own fees.

To anyone sitting on the fence about this a group of us went to Liverpool in February on a one night session and stayed in the formule1. The whole thing, flights, room, food and drink cost us less than a night out in Ireland and the clubs stay open later!

Advertisement