Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kleeneze Reps. asking for catalogue back.

Options
  • 06-07-2009 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

We had a Kleeneze catalogue shoved through the letterbox and it has since passed on to pastures new, thanks to the Recycle Bin. 2 Reps have been since, asking for the catalogue back. 1 male Rep. was told 'it was probably' in the Recycle Bin, this prompted a visit by a female Rep. 2 days later. Both seemed rather sniffly and incensed by the catalogue being recycled.

There's no obligation on my part surely? I'm annoyed that they seemed annoyed. Dropping a paper catalogue through a letterbox does not signify some sort of agreement or arrangement between parties.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

They have to pay for the catalogues.

Makes me wonder why anyone would fall for such a bizarre business opportunity. Do Kleeneze actually make their money from selling the catalogues and not the products?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Tell them that the dog/cat shredded it but that you'd like a chance to read it if they have a spare (then promptly bin that one as well and blame it on the dog/cat grabbing it when you did not notice from the table).

But no, there is no obligation on you for returning their spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

grundie wrote: »
    They have to pay for the catalogues.

Makes me wonder why anyone would fall for such a bizarre business opportunity. Do Kleeneze actually make their money from selling the catalogues and not the products?

I didn't know that grundie. It wasn't malicious on my part, most umm.. commercial flyers go through to the recycle bin fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, you're technically not entitled to bin it because it doesn't constitute advertising. Some book companies run a similar scam - they send you books unsolicited and if you don't return them, they send you a bill. It's perfectly legal unless you've told them not to send you stuff.

However, you could dispute it easily on the grounds that the catalogue looks and smells like advertising and in no way asks you to return it to the rep.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I didn't know that grundie. It wasn't malicious on my part, most umm.. commercial flyers go through to the recycle bin fairly quickly.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd throw them out too.

If someone puts something through my letterbox and it's no use to me, I'll bin it. I don't care if they have paid for it.

The Kleeneze business model is mad to say the least and just inside the law as regards being a pyramid scheme. The distibutors are obsessed with uplines and the like and less about selling cleaning products. And Kleeneze charges for the catalogues knowing the distributors will loose most of them, thus ensuring they have a constant stream of income.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    No, you're technically not entitled to bin it because it doesn't constitute advertising. Some book companies run a similar scam - they send you books unsolicited and if you don't return them, they send you a bill. It's perfectly legal unless you've told them not to send you stuff.

However, you could dispute it easily on the grounds that the catalogue looks and smells like advertising and in no way asks you to return it to the rep.

The catalogues do ask for it to be returned, usually by leaving it on the door step.

Me ma falls for Kleeneze every time and I have to go out of my way to make sure she doesn't end up buying a broom for €25 that she could get in Tesco for €5. That's why I have such an interest in them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've had these type of things before in the past, I#'ve said it to them too,
    I gave up even bin'ing them and now I rip the clear plastic package around it and leave it outside my front door....if its rains between then and the pickup day its not my problem.

If they don't pick it up then I bin it,

The catalogues do ask for it to be returned, usually by leaving it on the door step.
    Well then you're not entitled to throw it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Give it to the kids to draw on, then put it outside the door, won't be long getting the message then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mine go in the bin, when the first girl knocked looking for it I told her it was gone and not to be sending me anymore of that crap. I still get 1 or so a month from the same girl.. it still goes in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Return it with a bill for the storage of the catalogue since the moment they put it through your letter box!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Buck_Naked wrote: »
    Return it with a bill for the storage of the catalogue since the moment they put it through your letter box!

Hmm I note above the letterbox should suffice :D

"Please note: All catalogues posted through this letterbox are held in storage at a cost of €5 per week or part there of. The storage is to be paid by the owner of the catalogue upon request to have it returned. Catalogues will be stored for a maximum of 4 weeks upon which, unless the owner pays in advance for further storage, they will be destroyed.By posting catalogues through this letterbox you accept the terms of this agreement.
    Yours, The management of this home."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Some book companies run a similar scam - they send you books unsolicited and if you don't return them, they send you a bill. It's perfectly legal unless you've told them not to send you stuff.

If the goods are unsolicited, under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980, Section 47, the onus is on the sender to reclaim any goods that were sent unsolicited and the recipient does not have to pay. After 6 months, if the goods are not collected, the recipient is entitled to keep them as if they were an unconditional gift. It's actually an offence under this act to demand payment for unsolicited goods.

In the case of the Kleeneze catalogue, I seriously doubt they would have a leg to stand on as it's not a 'good' and more an advertisement - or just plain junk mail :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no obligation on my part surely? I'm annoyed that they seemed annoyed. Dropping a paper catalogue through a letterbox does not signify some sort of agreement or arrangement between parties.

I would say that binning it is a sure fire way of them never dropping another one through your letter box. I did that once, and have not got another one. Happy days.

babaloushka's post above is also good, interesting to note.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I got a very annoyed rep call one day myself looking for his catalogue, told him it went in the bin and that in future if he wants it back to ring the doorbell and ask do I want a catalogue first and not push junk in my letterbox and onto my property, he then apologies :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭daheff

had something similar to Kleeneze put their rubbish thru my door. they asked for it to be put out for collection on a particular day for them...which i did. Somebody must have taken the catalogue from the wall at the front of my garden during the day.

at about 5pm they put in a flyer in the door (instead of knocking and asking for it back) asking for it to be left out again

Same happened the next day

only 2 days later did they manage to ring the doorbell and ask for the catalogue back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well then you're not entitled to throw it out.
    So wheres your house seamus? I have loads of stuff I was looking to put in storage or in the attic, but from what you say it seems I can dump it all in your letter box or on the doorstep and legally you have to take care of it. I seriously doubt the law is like that.

My brother said a man called and was almost in tears when he said he doesn't know where some catalogue was.

rubadub wrote: »
    So wheres your house seamus? I have loads of stuff I was looking to put in storage or in the attic, but from what you say it seems I can dump it all in your letter box or on the doorstep and legally you have to take care of it. I seriously doubt the law is like that.

My brother said a man called and was almost in tears when he said he doesn't know where some catalogue was.
    It's to do with distance selling afair. It's not about just dumping something on someone's doorstep. Just because something arrives on your doorstep you can't assume it's "yours". Exactly the same that if a blank envelope arrives in your letterbox, stuffed with €100 notes, you're not strictly entitled to claim it as your property.

At the same time, something arriving in your letterbox doesn't require you to take care of it. If you left your boxes of stuff on my door step, I'd leave them in car park out in the rain. You're perfectly within your rights to leave the catalogue outside, rain or shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

It's to do with distance selling afair. It's not about just dumping something on someone's doorstep. Just because something arrives on your doorstep you can't assume it's "yours". Exactly the same that if a blank envelope arrives in your letterbox, stuffed with €100 notes, you're not strictly entitled to claim it as your property.

At the same time, something arriving in your letterbox doesn't require you to take care of it. If you left your boxes of stuff on my door step, I'd leave them in car park out in the rain. You're perfectly within your rights to leave the catalogue outside, rain or shine.

So if FF and FG come to your house looking for their election leaflets back ?

jhegarty wrote: »
    So if FF and FG come to your house looking for their election leaflets back ?
    Unless it's addressed to you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

annoys me getting those catalogues, i find binning them usually ensures they don't post in their crappy stuff again. What agent is going to legally chase you up for throwing out the catalogue!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

Does it not use the same amount of energy simply leaving the catalogues back out as it does throwing them in the bin. Most kleeneze distributors are honest ppl just trying to make a few extra pound for themselves.

Yes these catalogues do cost them money. If you dont want them deliverering them again simply leave a note on the catalogue you leave out.

I dont get this anger towards these Kleeneze distributors "If someone puts something through my letterbox and it's no use to me, I'll bin it. I don't care if they have paid for it." What did they ever do to you??

cowlove, they're imposing a situation on you. I think if it pops through your letterbox, then it's fair game to be used as cat litter bedding, a primer for your fireplace, Recycle Bin.

Charity bags are the same, they make fine bin bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If anybody dumps a catalogue through your door you are entitled to do with it as you wish. Asking for it to be left outside the door for collection is technically asking you to commit a littering offence.
    Big deal if you throw it for re-cycling. They left if as unsolicited material. Too lazy to ring the doorbell - their loss!

Yes the "charity" bags have many uses in our house. The collecters haven't even the manners to post it through the letter box, but throw them on the ground outside the gate. Cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

cowlove wrote: »
    Does it not use the same amount of energy simply leaving the catalogues back out as it does throwing them in the bin. Most kleeneze distributors are honest ppl just trying to make a few extra pound for themselves.

Yes these catalogues do cost them money. If you dont want them deliverering them again simply leave a note on the catalogue you leave out.

I dont get this anger towards these Kleeneze distributors "If someone puts something through my letterbox and it's no use to me, I'll bin it. I don't care if they have paid for it." What did they ever do to you??

Because they have decided on a business model that doesn't take into account my wants or wishes, it's purely for their benefit. Why should i care to help ensure their business model is as low cost a possible?

If I wanted a catalogue I would have requested it..

I am sick of tripping over tons of crap that gets shoved though my letter box for services and companies I have no wish to deal with. I am the one who has to pick it up and deal with it etc.
    I have no wish to read each one to see if they would like it returned and which day they would like it returned etc. It gets recycled with all the free papers, drycleaning, pizza, auto repairs flyers etc. :)

cowlove, they're imposing a situation on you. I think if it pops through your letterbox, then it's fair game to be used as cat litter bedding, a primer for your fireplace, Recycle Bin.

Charity bags are the same, they make fine bin bags.

Hey I am hardly going to get through to someone about kleeneze who thinks it is ok to use a charity bag as a bin bag!

Other peoples livelihoods obviously means jack to you guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hey I am hardly going to get through to someone about kleeneze who thinks it is ok to use a charity bag as a bin bag!

Oh catch yourself on! Here in the North East, several of these "charities" have been found to be bogus with the unwanted clothes and bags dumped locally on several occasions when the good stuff was taken out. They dump their empty bags outside the house and expect us to put them back there on a particular day for collection. Not a hope. Call to the door and ask, or post the bags through the door. And give a legitimate phone number and address on the blurb with the bag. There are no livelihoods at risk, as we send all our stuff to charity anyway. But charities of our choice at a time that we also choose.

Otherwise, why waste a perfectly good bag?:)

Oh catch yourself on! Here in the North East, several of these "charities" have been found to be bogus with the unwanted clothes and bags dumped locally on several occasions when the good stuff was taken out. They dump their empty bags outside the house and expect us to put them back there on a particular day for collection. Not a hope. Call to the door and ask, or post the bags through the door. And give a legitimate phone number and address on the blurb with the bag. There are no livelihoods at risk, as we send all our stuff to charity anyway. But charities of our choice at a time that we also choose.

Otherwise, why waste a perfectly good bag?:)

Ok calm down! :D

Obviously I am not talking about bogus "charities" I am talking about ligitamate ones! Every bag that is being used by you is costing their charity money.

Anyway this post is going off topic! Its about Kleeneze not charity bags!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

as soon as they come in my door they are put back outside,as requested by the rep. but then they decide to ignore it on the ground and ring the doorbell looking for it.

i open the door point at it and close the door again - flipping muppets

• Advertisement

Very few of the bags are legitimate, the ones that are, usually instantly recognised as long running charities..

Any charity using a hotmail account or in combination with a mobile phone number gets used for other purposes.

Your comment about livelyhood is stretching things somewhat, if a Kleeneze Rep. wants a steady income, they should work a 9-5.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement