Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker suggestions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Roddy Doyle - is an atheist and probably should make the list and Marian Keyes the chicklit woman is also and would be one for the girlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Húrin wrote: »
    Do most of you see atheism and humanism as synonymous?

I would say that they are very close in many respects, though they are not mutually exclusive. I consider myself both an atheist and a humanist, though I prefer calling myself the former. The UCD Humanist society is a de facto atheist society, and our mission statement adopts only about 20%-30% of the humanist Amsterdam Declaration. This is one of the reasons our constitution states we're not affiliated with a higher umbrella grouping.

Why would AI want people to read the Bible? Maybe they could hook up with some of the evangelical churches to promote reading of the Bible!

Know Galvasean's enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Húrin wrote: »
    Why would AI want people to read the Bible? Maybe they could hook up with some of the evangelical churches to promote reading of the Bible!

I can't count the times 'Christians' have been horrified when I tell them some of the stuff that's actually in the Bible, like Sodom/Job/BEARS ATTACKING CHILDREN/Plagues etc.

Reading the Bible is the last thing Christians should do.

"Wait, he sent bears to attack children?!" or my newest favourite "He killed Job's family but it's ok now because he got a new one!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Zillah wrote: »
    I can't count the times 'Christians' have been horrified when I tell them some of the stuff that's actually in the Bible, like Sodom/Job/BEARS ATTACKING CHILDREN/Plagues etc.

"Wait, he sent bears to attack children?!" or my newest favourite "He killed Job's family but it's ok now because he got a new one!?"

But that was before his son was born. It was ok to kill children with bears, wipe out entire cities, wipe out the whole world's population bar two people and tell people to kill their children just to see if they would back then. I've never been quite sure why it was ok and admirable for a timeless being to do something then but not now but you can rest assured there's a long and contrived explanation!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    But that was before his son was born. It was ok to kill children with bears, wipe out entire cities, wipe out the whole world's population bar two people and tell people to kill their children just to see if they would back then. I've never been quite sure why it was ok and admirable for a timeless being to do something then but not now but you can rest assured there's a long and contrived explanation!

Something like 'Those people were reeeally bad, and they deserved it. God knows best.' I believe.

• Advertisement

So any more suggestions anyone? :)

If this is all a forum of atheists can manage I'll ask over in the Other place :pac:. I'm also looking for speakers from the other side. I've got a few people in mind for debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

What about Joe Higgins?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

pts wrote: »
    OP if you could get funny atheists like Dara Ó Briain

+1 on Dara Ó Briain.
    He was a big L&H man in his day in UCD and you rarely saw the guy outside of an L&H debate so he may fancy the idea of re-living his youth.

If this is all a forum of atheists can manage I'll ask over in the Other place :pac:. I'm also looking for speakers from the other side. I've got a few people in mind for debates.

David Quinn would be the most obvious .

What about Joe Higgins?

Might be good. I invited Dermot Ahern to explain himself, but no reply. :pac: I'll try again in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Roger Childs head of religious broadcasting at RTE

Might be good. I invited Dermot Ahern to explain himself, but no reply. :pac: I'll try again in a few weeks.

Any senior politician would not be rational to go into a college ATM.

But how about this guy from FG who is a tutor in UCD and something with YFG in Europe and he must have an opposite number in FF somewhere

http://www.jameslawless.eu/

David Norris - is well obvious

The INTO primary school teachers organisation and Parents council of ireland would also have a message for young people :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Zillah wrote: »

Ah yes I see what you mean. Though without the Bible they wouldn't know how to be Christians.

Why not get an anti-humanist atheist? Like John Gray?

CDfm wrote: »
    Any senior politician would not be rational to go into a college ATM.

But how about this guy from FG who is a tutor in UCD and something with YFG in Europe and he must have an opposite number in FF somewhere

http://www.jameslawless.eu/

David Norris - is well obvious

The INTO primary school teachers organisation and Parents council of ireland would also have a message for young people :D

Yeah, David Norris was on the list we drew up at the first AGM. Also true a government TD would have a hard time getting in, which is why if one does agree to attend a debate I won't be announcing it. Other politicians are certainly on my list.

Advertisement