Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker suggestions?

Options
  • 06-07-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hi all! As you may know I'm the auditor of the UCD Humanist society this year, and I'm currently in full swing, issuing invitations to people to come and speak (we've got some fairly good successes so far, I'm generally happy).

Although I fully intend on inviting everyone I can think of who'd be good, there will of course be people I won't invite because I've never heard of them or they simply slip my mind. Suggestions would be welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Michael Shermer
    Michael Nugent
    Dan Dennett
    SAM HARRIS!!!!! (unlikely)

Who've you got so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

Can non-UCD-heads attend these speakings?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Paul or Noreen O'Donoghue of the Irish Skeptics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Can non-UCD-heads attend these speakings?

I know that societies have a right to restrict attendance to members only, but I certainly won't be checking for student cards at the door. The only concern I would have is I think the free refreshments (which come out of the society's pocket) should be for members only.

As for who I've got, the confirmees are listed on our website, www.ucdhumanistsociety.wordpress.com. I've got a yes which I don't want to announce yet in case they pull out, but if they don't it would be IMO our highest profile speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I've got a yes which I don't want to announce yet in case they pull out, but if they don't it would be IMO our highest profile speaker.

It's Jesus isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's Jesus isn't it?
    tn_1201814652_the_big_lebowski_jesus1.jpg
    You said it, man...

ChocolateSauce - don't forget David Attenborough ! Aim high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Dades wrote: »

ChocolateSauce - don't forget David Attenborough ! Aim high!

Why stop there? We want Stephen Fry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: Hope you don't mind me asking but how are the secular societies in Ireland currently organised? Is it on an individual level or is there an Irish, and or international body which the societies are affiliated with.

For example with the Christian Unions in Ireland there's IFES Ireland who give assistance, and then the overall bodies of IFES Europe, and IFES International.

Of course most of the stuff is still organised at society level there are people who are assigned by IFES Ireland to go around and see how all is doing and help out with speaker and the like.

Just curious as to who is actually behind it such as Atheist Ireland or?

Another question, do you know what the plans are for any other universities?

Sorry if this is taking the thread a little off topic, but I have a curiosity about how this is all being orchestrated if you will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Robbie Bonham (comedian and cartoonist)

Ian O' Doherty (writes the iSpy column for the Indo)

I saw both of them speak at the blasphemy meeting a while back. They managed to engage with the audience very well with a mixture of funnies and well researched facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Jakkass wrote: »
    For example with the Christian Unions in Ireland there's IFES Ireland who give assistance, and then the overall bodies of IFES Europe, and IFES International.

I thought all you had to do was to affiliate to Jesus :)

OP if you could get funny atheists like Dara Ó Briain or Derren Brown that'd be excelent (as a previous poster said, might as well aim high :))

• Advertisement

pts wrote: »
    I thought all you had to do was to affiliate to Jesus :)

You don't have to affiliate to IFES, it's a choice. However, every other Irish CU does and if you want to co-operate with them it's probably best that you join. But yes, affiliating to Jesus is also a good idea :D

I'm just curious on what is going on with these secular societies, and if any more are on the way for other universities.

Angelina Jolie, sure she might not be as typically intellectual as most of teh other suggestions, but damn the turnout would be good for taht meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Jakkass wrote: »
    You don't have to affiliate to IFES, it's a choice. However, every other Irish CU does and if you want to co-operate with them it's probably best that you join. But yes, affiliating to Jesus is also a good idea :D

I'm just curious on what is going on with these secular societies, and if any more are on the way for other universities.

I don't about universities but I'm involved with these guys in Limerick.

Two words, dude -- Ariana Sherine

arianesherine.jpg?w=270&h=162

I'll pay her flight myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

robindch wrote: »

Nice, I offer to so sort out her accommodation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Well if you're gonna pay her flight fare make sure you get her name right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ariane Sherine... fap fap fap...

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It's Jesus isn't it?

No, Obama was busy.

Jakkass: No, that's fine, I'm happy to answer. In Ireland they're organised on an individual level as far as I know. Internationally they may affiliate themselves with broader movements, but it's purely voluntary. The Humanist Association of Ireland is a member of the European and world movements. We are not though; our constitution expressly states that we are not affiliated with any extra-university grouping or movement.

Michael Nugent is behind Atheist Ireland and it's his own project. I think the HAI is run by the board jointly. I'll take this chance to state this: AI, HAI and the UCDHA are not in any way shape or form being directed behind the scenes by the evil atheist conspiracy. Because it doesn't exist.

Although I will freely admit that world conquest is on our to do list.

I don't know what the plans for other educational institutes is, but the movement is rapidly gaining momentum and I wouldn't be surprised to see several pop up every year for a while. I know hearing that UCC had one and UCD didn't galvanised me into action (although I first applied for the society three years ago, I only got around to it a few months ago)!

Again, there is certainly NOT anything other than grassroots "orchestrating" this movement. :pac:

Again, there is certainly NOT anything other than grassroots "orchestrating" this movement. :pac:
    Aw, dang. I thought that us militant atheists were a religion under the leadership of the dour Ditchkins.

Anyway, here's another gratuitous photo of Ariane Sherine:

Ariane+red+dress.JPG

Aw, dang. I thought that us militant atheists were a religion under the leadership of the dour Ditchkins.

Anyway, here's another gratuitous photo of Ariane Sherine:

Ariane+red+dress.JPG

Cheers!

For the photo that is. :cool:

Oh, the article was okay too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Article?

Come to think of it, why has no one mentioned the Mega-Pope (Dawkins)?

Galvasean wrote: »
    I suspect he was one of the ones you wouldn't expect to slip ChocolateSauce's mind!

ChocolateSauce, you should get in contact with UCD's CU when you get back and try to have some joint discussion sessions or something. It could be interesting for both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Galvasean wrote: »
    As a potential speaker, you mean? Probably wouldn't want to, since he's currently focused on the Darwin bicentennial and his new book on Evolution. Still, if he comes to Ireland to promote the book later in the year, sure - we can hook up with the Biology department if needed.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dave! wrote: »
    SAM HARRIS!!!!! (unlikely)

*swoon*

bnt wrote: »
    Still, if he comes to Ireland to promote the book later in the year, sure - we can hook up with the Biology department if needed.
    If Dawkins has a new book coming out he'll be speaking to anyone who'll have him, the media hoor !

One of the problems with Dawkins (apart from being the big cheese) is that he's a usually teaching during term time and can't leave Oxford. I presume so anyway. But yeah, I had already asked him and was looking for slightly more obscure suggestions, like pretty picture lady.

Then again...perhaps Dawkins could be classed as a pretty picture lady too? http://pageslap.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/richard-dawkins-emma-hermione-watson-omg-awesome/
    ChocolateSauce, you should get in contact with UCD's CU when you get back and try to have some joint discussion sessions or something. It could be interesting for both parties.
    I'm not ruling it out. We haven't yet put together a schedule so no plans yet, but debates may be forthcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Do most of you see atheism and humanism as synonymous?
    I don't about universities but I'm involved with these guys in Limerick.

Fascinating!
    We will also be planning campaigns for a secular Constitution generally, an a secular education system, plus a campaign under the auspices or Atheist ireland encouraging people to read the Bible.
    Why would AI want people to read the Bible? Maybe they could hook up with some of the evangelical churches to promote reading of the Bible!

• Advertisement

Then again...perhaps Dawkins could be classed as a pretty picture lady too? http://pageslap.wordpress.com/2009/04/14/richard-dawkins-emma-hermione-watson-omg-awesome/

I have ruined lives with that picture. :pac:
    Húrin wrote: »
    Why would AI want people to read the Bible?

Know thy enemy ;)

Advertisement