Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Obama came to Ireland...

Options
  • 03-07-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the news about an Irish ambassador to the US being appointed. He's saying that it's still on Obama's agenda to visit our wee, humble country. If he came, would you go to see him?
    I would go, sure Jayzuz the man is half a celebrity too. There'd probably be a massive concert or something...it'd better be free.

OOOOOOOOBAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMAAAAAA

If Obama came to Ireland, would you make it your business to go and see him? 124 votes

Yes, I would
    0% 0 votes
    I'd like to but I probably wouldn't
    45% 57 votes
    I don't give a s*** about Obama
    54% 67 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

jumpguy wrote: »
    If he came, would you go to see him?

I'd have a pint with him, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Who are the supporting acts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

he'd come to see me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I hope he doesn't come to Galway.

If he did, our cretinous gombeen of an ex-mayor would be saying it was all down to him.

(He visited Obama in the White House and to listen to him talk, the two of them were BFFs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Would be one of the few US presidents i'd meet without considering killing him.

[/me awaits FBI knocking door down] :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

if i he came to dublin when i happened to be there yeah i would see him

the half hour dublin bus in to see him? i couldnt be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭devereaux17

yes but some scummer would probably think he's coming to take his/her job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No, he's just a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

If it was during the day then defo.....

im not quite sure if i'd see him at all at night.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Would we get the day off work to see him?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was in Dundalk when Clinton visited..

Definitely a surreal experience

Clinton is better than Obama though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

mink_man wrote: »
    he'd come to see me!

Only in Soviet Russia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If he knocks off the celebrity BS and starts acting like a president I'd consider it. I voted for him but getting sick of him playing up so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Absolutely. When my grand kids asked me in 50 years time if I saw President Obama when he came to Ireland I don't want to say 'No, it was Big Brother eviction night'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

YES! HIGH FIVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Absolutely. When my grand kids asked me in 50 years time if I saw President Obama when he came to Ireland I don't want to say 'No, it was Big Brother eviction night'
    Haha +1

I dunno why people would pass it up, I know there's differing views, but this is definetly a historic president, I'd do it just so I could say I did see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Back when Clinton came to Dundalk (2001-2 I forget which) I walked the whole way into town, got as far as queue at the outer security cordon, said "F*ck this sh*t" and popped into the first pub that was open and watched the speech on telly. Nothing personal toward Clinton and I still regret not walking another 1/4 mile to see/hear him in the flesh.

The same would probably happen for Obama, only this time I'd need to go down to Dublin to not see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

This country definitely needs more people from the Southside of Chicago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

100% would I see him. Great Speaker, (polices ??)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Sure. I went to see Clinton on College Green, though I am no fan of him. Still, a person of some influence, so why not hear what he has to say?

Granted, I spent more of my attention looking for the snipers and security types, though. Speech was a bit boring.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have nothing against him but I wouldn't be arsed to go out with bandwagon jumpers cheering an apparent BIFFO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

There would be too many trendies around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'd say if he ever did visit, it'd be nearly as big as the Pope's visit in the 70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Twice as big and half as boring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'd say if he ever did visit, it'd be nearly as big as the Pope's visit in the 70's.

+ 1.

It would be one awesome party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kinda depends, as if he was giving a speech to the public (not gonna happen) then yeah I would but if it was just a case of seeing him waving from a moving car then hell no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

If he stands up in the meantime and takes a solid, admirable stance on the Israeli/Palestinian problem then I'll go and see him. Otherwise he's just another lame duck. He's obviously better than Bush but will he make a change as he so promised? I'm doubtful.

• Advertisement

NickNolte wrote: »
    He's obviously better than Bush but will he make a change as he so promised? I'm doubtful.
    Proof? That was based on hype alone. He hasn't changed anything. The only difference between him and Bush is that he is (Obama) a better speaker.
    I wouldn't go see him.

Advertisement