Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Unpopularity of Brand Munster

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

galwayrush wrote: »
    Internet polls................:pac::pac::pac:

Fair enough if there was one, but it seems like Liam79 just has a chip on his shoulder for some reason.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

jackncoke wrote: »
    Munster fans = bandwagon

Its different if you actually come from Munster

But what would Leinster fans now about that then eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

jackncoke wrote: »
    He basically sums it up there
    Agree
    Generalising it and saying

is completely unfair. Yes there are a huge number bandwagon jumpers but there are also massive numbers of people who have ALWAYS supported Munster and went to all the matches long before the team were making it to the final stages of HC's.

I for one only support rugby. I go to all the home Munster matches, I pay for the supporters club and I also support Shannon RFC in the club rugby! And I have done all my life. My brother plays rugby and my Grandfather played for Shannon and also with Munster briefly in the 70's!

Just because I don't support GAA doesn't mean I'm any less of a sports fan than someone who supports both!

True supporters of ANY sport are the ones that go to all the games, support the clubs and not just the provinces, don't slag off the opposing supporters, don't invade the pitch when asked not to and have respect for the opposing teams. The bandwagoners are the ones that go against all of the previous and also sell their tickets for alot more than face value to other supporters just to make a quick buck.

Rant over........
    Fair play to you but you're in the minority. I know countless Munster fans and I can safely say that about 5% of them have grown up with rugby, been involved at grassroots or club level etc. The other 95% wouldn't know a rugby ball if it smacked them in the face. They have all the gear and get the tickets to games yet they don't even know the technical rules of rugby - it's both hilarious and a joke. I could tell you a hundred stories of mates who have got tickets to big games/finals etc when it was their first game of the year. Every person I know who is a regular at Thomond Park for Heineken cup games is a johnny-come-lately who never followd rugby before, nevermind Munster. And don't start me on the women dressed up to the nines with their ladies Munster top and again, haven't a clue what's going on apart from shouting Munster repeatedly :rolleyes:

Where are all the hard core rugby fans for the Magners League games at Thomond? (The glory hunters all managed to turn up for Leinster at home and the end of season title celebrations alright....)
    Why did Thomond Park put in those ridiculous multi-coloured seats if the fanbase is so great that Thomond would be full for every game? :P
    Rugby is a minority sport - the only way Munster can fill Cardiff or Croker is because it's full of bandwagoners, and everyone knows it.
    My own Dad has been at about 5 games in the last few years - 2 Heineken Cup finals, two semi's against Leinster and a big game at Thomond - He's not a rugby man but goes with his golf playing buddies and is typical of the type of "fan" bulging the Munster fanbase. Glory hunter and not really knowledgeable about the game.

Oh and one more thing - the Rugby European Cup is not even a serious competition. The English and French treat it as a secondary competition and until that changes it will remain a bit of a joke. The fact one can buy tickets, and as many as you like, for the final throughout the year shows the competition is over-rated, especially by Irish rugby fans. It ain't held in such high esteem by the bigger Rugby nations, but it's the be all and end all for our provinces as the Magners league is an even bigger joke

Rant Over :D

And regards Limerick being Ireland's sporting capital, the biggest load of rubbish ever spouted. "Sporting" means supporting all codes. Yet, our hurling fans only come out when we're in a final, nobody supports the footballers and our League of Ireland soccer club is almost out of business because of......lack of support. Limerick is Ireland's glory hunting sporting capital though, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What a wummer ^^^ :rolleyes:

Limerick may not be Irelands sporting capital - but it is the Rugby Capital of Ireland!

Limerick does have fantastic sports facilities in the University of Limerick.

Besides, Munster Rugby isnt just Limerick, there's Cork, Clare, Waterford, Kerry and Tipperary.

I'd say you would want to go away and look at the grand scheme of things before you decide to make a comment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Its never too late to become a supporter of any sport dont be put off by bitterness towards success!
    Success is what brings support!
    Look at Man U and Liverpool they all started out as relatively small clubs over 100 years ago but eventualy grew into mega clubs at this stage along with the sport!
    Rugby is still relatively fresh as a pro sport in this country and is growing all the time the clubs Leinster,Munster,Ulster and Connaught all need as much support as they can get!
    Your supporting your local economy as well as a club which is great!
    Success in sport also brings a great feel good factor around the locality and whats wrong with that exactly?
    I think its amazing how Munster has grown since 95 and fully embraced the pro era along with the other provinces all be it with more success!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

You'll have bandwagoners in every sport, but i suppose given Munster's success, they attract an even higher number than the rest. I can assure you though, there were plenty of gravy train fans wearing Limerick shirts in Croke Park for the AI Final in 07. I was on the Hill (never again), surrounded by a group of guys who had evidently never attended a hurling match before - they kept asking 'why is that a free?, whats no 7's name?, who are the men with the white coats beside the goals?, etc. And you can be sure there'll be a fair few of them in Cork tomorrow also. I do agree though that some of the Munster rhetoric is a joke - this whole ''irish by birth, munster by grace of god'' stuff is cringeworthy. Ten years ago nobody batted an eyelid at the Munster rugby team. Now we're supposed to believe we've loved them since we were in the womb! I follow Munster but from a distance, and would certainly not be one to jump on any wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am a card carrying Munster Rugby supporter. I am a member of the Munster supporters club.

I have season tickets to their matches in Thomond Park for the upcoming season.

All I need to know are these things.

I support Munster, I am proud of the team I support. Everybody else can support what they like. I have my seat in Thomond park for the matches. All the "Johnny come latelys" or followers because Munster are winning can all fight it out for their tickets.

I also have a ticket for Stade De France 2010(Cheap seats for €18 each) confident Munster will be back in the Final.

Win or Lose I support my team. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Oh, I see he's bitter about the GAA.

I'd love Limerick to win on Sunday, but just because you love Limerick GAA doesn't mean you can't support Munster rugby.

Well said Amazo. Where is this mutual exclusiveness nonsense coming from?

There is a massive history of compatibility in this part of the island that is not echoed anywhere else. Check out the clever way Mick Mackey's fondness for the oval ball was handled by GAA administrators back in the day.

Many, many rugby players maintain their physicality and fitness in summer months by playing Gaelic football. That tradition goes way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fantastic2007

Are we not all missing something here? The poll if true asked "what club you would support" if not your own. Therefore with such a low poll, all you can figure is that everyone in Europe supports Munster. Therefore those people would not be able to say Munster as second team. Meaning they are the most popular the .2% are the ones that support other teams.....
    If the poll is true it is worked that way. That is, if it is true.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

topper75 wrote: »
    Well said Amazo. Where is this mutual exclusiveness nonsense coming from?

There is a massive history of compatibility in this part of the island that is not echoed anywhere else. Check out the clever way Mick Mackey's fondness for the oval ball was handled by GAA administrators back in the day.

Many, many rugby players maintain their physicality and fitness in summer months by playing Gaelic football. That tradition goes way back.

True, it's a huge pity Kelly couldn't add a Munster Football medal to go with his AIL one this year. A lot of the Limerick rugby players are handy enough footballers too, Mike Prendergast was actually in the Limerick panel a few years back before he was offered a contract with Bourgoin. Of this panel, as well as Kelly, Joyce-Power won a Munster's schools senior cup medal with Castletroy last year and a few others have played with the various clubs.

I don't give a **** if other counties enforce sporting apartheid between the various codes, I'm glad we have a lot cross-over between the sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

do you know who I hate? that other team. grr, their fans are so annoying, not liking my team as much as theirs. Their players seem to think they should win matches too, and sometimes feel hard done by when refs make decisions against them. the fools. I dont know how anyone could support them over my team. Go local sports team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

zuroph wrote: »
    do you know who I hate? that other team. grr, their fans are so annoying, not liking my team as much as theirs. Their players seem to think they should win matches too, and sometimes feel hard done by when refs make decisions against them. the fools. I dont know how anyone could support them over my team. Go local sports team.

True, hard to argue with this.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33426

Advertisement